What happens to our consciousness when we die? Is there any sort of scientific consensus, or possible theories?

What happens to our consciousness when we die? Is there any sort of scientific consensus, or possible theories?

Other urls found in this thread:

disinfo.com/2013/05/breakthrough-dmt-found-in-the-pineal-gland-of-live-rats/
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bmc.2981/abstract
wesapiens.org/class/3485018/file/13/Comparison between the human and rat brain
news.psu.edu/story/270321/2013/03/26/research/rats-brains-are-more-ours-scientists-previously-thought
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You go to heaven/hell

you go to reddit

Sounds legit

There are no serious scientific reasearch about the afterlife. There's actually no method of getting any data either.
You might as well ask on >>>/rel/

I think OP is trying to leave religion out of this

If you're good, you go to heaven.

If you're evil, CIANiggers come to take you to Nigger Faggot MIT hell, where they force you to write Ring 3 code and user non-executable stacks.

I heard your cry in the unseen realms so allow me to answer your here call at the end of the internet - this imageboard

Some people don't have souls (only egos)(and are the majority on the planet, an example is George Soros) so they dissipate after death although their ghost may spook around until the residual energy supporting it disintegrates
Some people have highly advanced souls and will be sucked up into their 'oversoul' or higher self to review their lives here or simultaneously launch into another one (space/time doesn't matter) and eventually they graduate 3D because Earth is a graduation planet and drew these souls here for the intense challenge
Some people have similar eternal souls but they aren't ready for graduation so they are stuck on a more rigid reincarnation wheel where they go through sequential lifetimes and sometimes carry memories over
Then there are all kinds of aliens trying to influence and capture people's souls on 'the other side' when a person dies like in the 'tunnel of light', or the person could just go off into an imaginary world like heaven/hell/any other religious imprint that they created purely with their imagination but is real enough (like a dream) and they will experience it for as long as they need to after death

smh fam
you're a soul that is remote controlling an electronic meatbag, albeit a stupid one.

It disappears because you're fucking dead, you autistic, spastic fuck.(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Not how it works. As of this moment, the afterlife is something purely spiritual, for science has no means of investigating it.

What a fucking meme.

Consciousness is simply a system of matter, when you die all that is "you" transitions into a different system.

"Consciousness" is one of the biggest forces of the universe that we have yet to ever discover or understand. It's one of the things that powers the universe and all lifeforms, but we have no tools to detect "consciousness" or its interactions.
Until we can actually detect the forces of the universe that animate you, what happens to you after you die is indeterminable. However, I do strongly believe that even after you die, you will persist existing in another lifeform, aka "a new life". You have no way of knowing if you existed before though, since your brain is always destroyed in the process of death and your "soul" loses these memories forever.

You're close. Life as we know it is made only of matter, and that includes consciousness. Consciousness isn't a force, but a product of forces.

It depends on what you deem to be consciousness.
Is consciousness the state of being aware due to possessing a brain, or is it the thing that is on the receiving end of "consciousness", or a soul for that matter?

(USER WAS EXTREMELY GAY FOR THIS POST)

There's no reason to believe that it's the latter.

Not sure OP, but imo your consciousness arises out of your brain. When your brain dies, so too does your consciousness. iow, you are your body. When it dies, everything that you are does too.

while there isn't a scientific consensus most scientists believe that consciousness ceases to exist once the brain dies.

however, it's been posited that the scientific method simply cannot be applied to this question.

of course it would only be logical that if the brain is as any empirical evidence would suggest the sole progenitor of consciousness, then when it ceases to function, consciousness ceases to as well, in my opinion.

What do you mean by "everything that you are"?

When you die are you born again in another time?

It depends on how long your out for, but you will always be born again later in time, not earlier.

Alright, you ask so I shall answer.
Our consciousness exists in all possible universes in which it could still exist, multiverse and whatnot. You simply perceive the average of all universes in which you still exist at any given moment. Of course, there's a bell curve in which some absurdly unlikely extremes exist, but you generally don't experience those because they are overwhelmingly outnumbered by more likely scenarios. Then you have certain times in which you are extremely likely to face an event which you are likely to die. Those are the moments you get out within an inch of your life. You die in all universes except the ones that you don't And the ones that you don't are the only ones which you still perceive.

Tl;dr: You're never gonna die. You probly already died millions of times, but you're never gonna die.

so everyone just lives a constant existence as an old decrepit

I dunno. Is it more likely that you live forever as a decrepit or that you decide to get /fit/ one day and then someone invents the elixir of life and give it to you?

Damn. I hope to be born again before the sun burns out.

What year will the sun burn out?

won't matter. the sun turning into a red giant will kill anything living on earth.

I don't think your brain is responsible for your existence as a whole. Your brain is nothing but a tool for you to understand and perceive your surroundings better and act upon it.

Take a look at babies born without a brain. They lack any sort of awareness, but they still are able to move their limbs. This clearly demonstrates that there's a force behind life which we may call "spirits" or "souls".

I like to use animations and animators as an example. If life were akin to computer animating, then our souls would be the person who animates the character, and our bodies and brains are the animation.

Only after a certain period of time, the animation gets terminated or destroyed, but the animator remains. Throughout the animation's existence, it thought that it was the product of life and that it's "behavioral center" caused his life, when in reality the animator was the one behind the character all along. But the animation never knew this because he was stuck in a computer and could never detect the force that was really him.

A period after the animation is removed, the animator may decide to create a new animation. Once the new animation is made, it doesn't know anything. It doesn't know that it previously was another character, it only knows that it's here right now. The "behavioral center" of the previous animation was destroyed when it was terminated, so the new animation only knows about its own life and existence. Meanwhile the animator continues to perpetually exist until existence itself passes.

Replace the animator with your soul and replace the animation with you and your own life, and it all begins to add up. You aren't truly your brain or body, your a greater force in the universe that never ceases to exist. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, and here you are, coincidentally here billions of years after the universe was created, in this time period.

This is why we need to colonize the starts very soon. Not very soon as it will occur within your lifetime, but soon on an astronomical scale. What we do now can potentially affect our future lives.

*stars

(USER CANT REDTEXT)

When we believe that x part do x thing
neuroplasticity fuck everything, brains are far more complex and delicate than other tissues yet is like a superbeing with his own super abilities, btw, autists believe that consciousness is just complex wiring, not even a retarded shitty consciousness has been created from complex artificial systems, maybe this guy is right and autists are just complex machines.

What is your age of attraction?

We don't know that. Think "philosophical zombies" but the opposite. Just as you can't possibly know if others are conscious beings, you can't tell that the computer you're typing on right now is conscious. For all we know, the only requisite for the most rudimentary consciousness could be the ability to receive stimulus.

7-11

Nice. I'm 4-15.

OP is conceiving of consciousness as a kind of separate entity from the brain or body. So what i mean is i don't think it is.

English isnt my tongue so i dont get the joke, but i am not a pedophile like autistic spammers here.

It isnt, we can ask "him" and he doesnt have an answer, maybe something inside "him", but not him and from a fedoristic point of view i/o ports are the same. Btw, that example is the basis of chamanistic religions.

Same dude, the problem here is that autistic knows that they exists.

Is a dog conscious? He certainly wouldn't have an answer besides "bark."

Look into philosophical zombies. The idea is that they act in every way as if they're conscious but there's simply nothing going on in that head of theirs.

Age of attraction (or AoA) is the range of ages that you're attracted to. So if I said my age of attraction was 4-15 girls, it means that I'm attracted to girls who are 4 to 15 years old. Now you know.

one-celled organisms can also be seen moving. Do they therefore have "souls" that live on forever? So that every microscopic organism that ever lived still has its soul floating around somewhere? I wonder how many souls that is by now.

A simpler eplanation is that your energy came from your parents' energy (their living sperm and eggs). And when you die your energy absorbs back into the earth which then grows into new junk somewhere down the line.

Then even rocks have it, everything have it and a group of them are one and you can separate them, everything is that, from what we know humans have that and some animals know that they exists, they can get the info, but we dont have clear definitions or limits, so we dont know at least if cats know that they exists, but dogs maybe.

Dude, i knowed about those zombies a couple of years ago, this is why i talked about autism.

Thanks, now end yourself.

Define soul, maybe something eternal stay, but it isnt the soul, the soul is almost the shape for living beings, just systems created by humans without too much value in the real world if we arent platonics.

well technically all you know is you have consciousness. Everyone else could just be zombies. Or maybe even rocks are conscious. Though that's unlikely as they have no way of receiving stimulus.

You're welcome.

I'll be back.

Brains can appear as powerful superbeings with divine power because they ARE what give us divine powers. Without a brain, what use is inhabiting a body or lifeform? No use at all.

Brains are why we perceive things, think, learn, and move with high motor skills. A brain is what makes living useful. Without one, you may as well never have been alive. A soul all by itself is a lonely one that has no perception.

True, but the way one-celled organisms is automatic and caused by mechanical means. You can't compare the complex lifeforms with multi-celluar lifeforms, because they are way different.

I believe nerves and neurons are what captivate souls. Without them, souls would be left with no sensory input at all. All the energy within the universe already exists and can't be created or destroyed, only transformed. This is a great incentive to believe that there is a greater force.

Trying to understand something that we can't understand will bring us nowhere, but denying the effects of it doesn't make it go away. If we couldn't prove gravity, would we simply say that gravity isn't there?

Same with multi-celled organisms. They're just more complex machines, but they still operate in fundamentally the same way.

So if i plug a mic to a rock that will develep consciousness? for practical purposes everything that behave in x way is x thing, maybe i am just conected to a vr.

Maybe the brain is just an interface, no "power" just a "portal" like witches said.

Claiming you can't understand it and giving up on trying will bring us nowhere.

Yes. We would. Either a force is pulling objects together or it isn't. To believe it is when you have no evidence would be absurd. But we can prove it, we can physically see and feel objects being pulled together by this force, and though it seemed mysterious for ages, we're not beginning to understand what causes it a little better.

No it isn't. It's literally no incentive whatsoever. It's a completely unrelated statement. You might as well say it's incentive to believe that you're a faggot. Except we already have great incentive for that.

Probly not. The mic will sent an electrical signal into the rock and then basically stop there. Maybe the mic itself has consciousness though.

We're not talking about practical purposes though. We're talking about the afterlife.

We dont have anything for the rock, discarded if you cant keep a point. Practical in the sense that i am not questioning what i see every day, shit stay there and i am ok with that, i am not killing any other to see if they are real or not.

Alright, I was wrong with one thing. Multi-celluar organisms do move in a mechanical way, but unlike single-celled organisms, our nerves assist in moving us. Without a nervous system we would be as good as a sponge.

We can't truly understand it fully because it is a force that is beyond our senses and scientific tools. We are limited by our window of consciousness, which merely gives us an approximation of what the real world is. Hell, even our higher brain functions are limited by biases and our own personal experiences. Our knowledge was given to us by another man, not from the supernatural itself. We came into the world knowing nothing, not understanding anything, and we will all go back to that state,
We can surely do our very best to understand the fundamentals, but fully understanding it is an uncertainty.

Well, my analogy was flawed for certain. I should not have used gravity for analogy. But just because you can't sense something doesn't mean that it isn't there. In the past, people had a harder time proving that gravity did indeed exist, but it didn't mean that it wasn't there. They just didn't have the tools to prove it. In the future, we may have the tools to prove that souls do exist.

Yes it is, cocksucker. It alone proves that you can't go POOF! into nonexistence from dying, but just start existing out of random in an unpredictable time period. I believe that your blatant projection is already a incentive for you being a massively insecure elitist who can't handle differing opinions that challenge your core belief systems.

that's what you get you fucking cunt, I hope we have fun in heaven later m8.

tell me more user

Rip

So we build better tools.

Better to try than to just give up.

Your parts continue to exist, but you don't. If you smash your computer, you haven't technically destroyed any matter or energy, but your computer doesn't exist anymore.

But if you can find no evidence for it whatsoever, then you shouldn't act like it is there. Russel's teapot.

No they didn't. People weren't just floating around in the past. Everyone throughout all of history always felt and saw gravity in a very concrete way.

Maybe, but so far, all evidence points to the contrary. You can almost never say something is absolutely impossible, but you can very often say that it's dumb to believe something, especially when all signs point to the contrary.

You're projecting your projection.

don't worry you fucking retards, we will all know when we go (hopefully naturally right?)

Even if you did kill them you wouldn't know if they were ever conscious.

Exactly. That's the damn point.

This is why we understand things in the first place. But there are still things that we yet to understand.

Yes, except your soul's existence is independent of physical matter. It's a divine force in the universe.

My computer would still exist, only it would no longer be a computer, if that makes any sense. Just a pile of useless plastic and metal.

There's plenty of evidence for the existence of souls. Just observe it's most obvious effects, which is that you are here right now, seeing what your brain sees and making your own brain carry out your will. Using the scientific method easily proves for the existence of souls.

But people didn't know of the existence of gravity. They thought it was just the result of the ground being down and the sky being up, in the same way people today think that being here is just the result of your brain. They experienced the phenomenon of gravity but couldn't explain it, just like you are experiencing the phenomenon of existing but can't explain it either.

There is no evidence that proves that souls do not exist. There may not be much reasonable evidence for the existence of souls, but that doesn't prove that something doesn't exist. Lack of light doesn't prove that a room is empty.

Sure thing buddy.

So normalfags then, right?

You would get something like this.

more user

There is something called empathy, again, practical purposes.

Its cache dude, cache.

Except you have no evidence for this whatsoever.

Exactly, and the same thing happens to your body, including your brain, which is what constitutes your mind.

What you're thinking of is "I think, therefore I am," which is more philosophical than scientific, but it checks out. Still, this has nothing to do with "soul," unless you're just using that synonymously with "mind." But most people use it to refer to a consciousness or something that continues to function after you die, which you have no evidence for whatsoever.

Up and down are only relative to gravity. Different cultures may not have described it in the same way we do, but everyone always knew that they were pulled toward the ground, which is what gravity is.

We can explain a great deal about it, same as we can explain a great deal about gravity. But on both topics, we can't yet explain everything. However, your just saying "magic did it" isn't helpful. It wasn't helpful with gravity (we've since found out much more about gravity than what people thought was possible to understand), and it's not helpful when understanding consciousness either. Just because we don't understand things yet is no reason to jump to supernatural conclusions, or any conclusions at all, really. It just means we should keep working on it. Just jumping to an answer with no evidence is the lazy way out, to give you a sense of fulfillment which only lessens your incentive to look for an answer that is actually based on evidence and logic.

But since there is no evidence for it, you shouldn't act as if it is true. If you're gonna start believing things just because they could be possible, you're gonna have to start believing a whole lot of things. Russel's Teapot, Flying Spaghetti Monster, etc.

when hard drive breaks, its cache?

Really?
Then how come you haven't faded out of existence a long time ago? Because for every 7 years you've been alive, every single cell in your body has been replaced. If your soul's existence was dependent on matter, you would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

Because it constitutes your MIND. A soul is your existence in the universe as an energy, not something capable of thought. The relation between a brain and a soul are symbiotic, but they aren't the same thing.

I don't know if you interpreted me correctly or not, but I never used it synonymously. And it has everything to do with a soul, since I have said that a soul is a separate thing from a body itself. Since our existence alone has the same characteristics as the concept of souls, it is the most logical to believe that we are indeed souls. "Soul" is just a label we give to a greater force that animates bodies, which is a force we can't understand. A "soul" may behave differently than we actually think.

The same thing can be said about consciousness. Different religions may describe it differently, but thinks that they're just here all by magic for no apparent reason at all.

I never did say that "magic" simply is what causes a soul. I myself have looked into this matter and questioned my own existence, and by observing the nature of my existence I came to that conclusion. But just because I came to that conclusion doesn't mean I'm stopping there, I'm still trying to figure out I exist and why, and so far, all of my observations and evidence point to a soul.
Something is only considered supernatural when it is not of the natural world, and beyond it all. You think trying to explain why we exist is hard? Try explaining what caused the universe to come into existence when time is seemingly infinite and has no beginning.

THERE IS EVIDENCE. I've already said so before, it's standing right in front of you. You're here aren't you? You only inhabit one body and mind, don't you? Can't you assert some amount of control over your brain and make yourself move? It's like saying that people who believe in gravity believe in the supernatural and that it isn't true.

RAM and hard drives are storage units which hold data using electrons, but they are different because RAM is violate and loses it's data when powered off while a hard drive holds data indefinitely until it is written over.
The answer is that the hard drive would shut off and hold on to it's electrons, while the ram would lose its electrons and pass the electrons off to something else.
Comparing our existence to data is silly, because we aren't data.

u didnt answer the question. What happens to the data, when the storage medium is broken and data r lost?

You asked what happens to data when the storage medium loses power, not when it gets broken or destroyed. I already answered your original question.

w/e, then, nigggot. Storage loses power and degrades, data is lost. Just like consciousness

What makes up the data doesn't go poof, it just gets merely transformed and leaves the "prison" that it was stuck in. Electrons don't disappear into nonexistence, they relocate. You are right on the account that what the data represented is now gone, though. Because that's what data is, it represents something.
Awareness is certainly lost once you die, though. But if your definition of consciousness is existence, then no. You continue to exist.

no. Consciousness isnt existence
brain isnt a prison
brain doesnt work on electrons, it works on Na and K ions
memory, function and personality recognized as a certain individual is gone and inaccessible.

If the brain isn't any of those things, then why did you use it as an analogy? It does work similar, but it isn't the same for sure.
You are correct though if your definition of consciousness is being aware and able to understand things. You lose those things in death, but if you emerge back, then you gain them back. You just have absolutely no recollection of your past life since your brain was destroyed.

similar. Analogy.
If u emerge back, u werent dead, clearly.
Theres no reason to believe theres reincarnation.

You can go ahead and believe that reincarnation doesn't happen, but there is a certainty that you aren't in your body "just because you have a brain" or by some freak accident. Souls clearly exist.
Something similar happens when your brain is destroyed, too. What made it up doesn't disappear, it just gets transformed. The "data" that was represented by it is certainly gone though, no question about it.

I'm just saying that what you are is actually separate from life itself. You exist as an energy in the universe, not as a brain or any physical matter.

oh, look - another retarded, moron troll with kindergarten education, who thinks he cracked the code.
Show me 1 peer-reviewed study supporting an existence of soul

Show me 1 peer-reviewed study supporting the existence of gravity, friction, inertia, or heat.

Fuck, I forgot to include the post number.

so u didnt.
Im right, u r wrong

Just because I didn't answer your question doesn't mean your inherently right. I could leave you waiting for my answer all day long, but that doesn't change reality.
There is no peer reviewed study because THERE IS NO NEED for one. You don't need to have a peer reviewed study to know that your gonna fall on your ass if you slip on a banana peel and make yourself a laughing stock. But I guess the ability to think for ourselves has diminished as a result of everyone believing everything they are told by institutions and other people without actually thinking about it.
But I guess me pointing that out while you simply saying your right because of burden of proof makes me "another retarded, moron troll with kindergarten education, who thinks he cracked the code". Talk about projection on your part.

it certainly does mean u r not right. U can pretend u r winning this discussion, but u cant change reality

I'm beginning to believe your a woman the more you post. You think your right simply because I don't do something, which is illogical. You don't even bother to explain why that makes me wrong.
If you ask if the peg hole is a round hole, and I don't answer, does that suddenly mean that the hole is now suddenly a peg hole and I was wrong all along?

u said the whole is round. I asked u to show me the papers on that. U said u wont. I said it doesnt make u right, to think the hole is round

Why would you need papers if the evidence is right in front of your eyes?
All the papers do is say the exact same thing that I'm telling you. It doesn't make me "less right" and you "more right". That's womanly thinking.
Learn to think for yourself, not believe everything just because popular opinion agrees with it.

theres no evidence

If that's the case, nothing is evidence. Everything we know today isn't evidence in that regard.

If you so blatantly deny what is right in front of you, then you might as well not believe or know anything at all.

still not showing anything backing up a soul. Looks like r still not right. Wrong, even.

It doesn't matter how much evidence I throw at you, you'll still refuse to believe it because a group of men who are no different than you didn't publish a paper on it while being approved of by the state-sponsored government. I can give you evidence all day, but it will be disregarded as not being evidence.
But somehow you think this automatically makes you right and me wrong.

If all man-made evidence of the planets existing disappeared tomorrow, the planets would still remain. They wouldn't suddenly disappear and automatically make people who say planets don't exist correct.

u didnt throw a single evidence
i do. And i dont believe your bullshit

Absolute bullshit. I already gave you what the evidence is by telling you that it's right in front of your eyes, but you denied it.
I told you that nothing in the universe gets destroyed and you denied that too.

But you believe in the popular opinion just for the simple fact that everyone else believes it. Don't bullshit me and say that you think for yourself.

Want me to spell it out clearly for you again? Want me to give you more evidence?

flow of energy isnt a proof of a soul.
things do get destroyed. Flow of electrons inst the only change. Radioactive decay destroys previous atom and leaves a new, lighter 1 and alpha radiation, for instance.
U dont know what i believe and why, so stop projecting.
U gave no evidence.

matter and antimatter contact destroys the components and energy is left behind

“Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another.” -Albert Einstein

That doesn't prove that anything can be destroyed. All you did was prove that things are capable of being transformed into something else.
The universe contains more energy than matter, aka "light matter" which we can easily observe. You can't prove something that you can't observe, but it doesn't mean it isn't there.

But you can observe the effects of a soul. You see what you brain sees, don't you? Don't you hear and feel what your brain feels? Can't you control your cognitive functions to a degree by moving on your will? Don't you control your thought patterns?
If there was truly nothing but a brain, then everything would be predictable to a degree, and nobody would be seeing what their brain sees, because they don't fucking exist. You exist in a universe where time is infinite, which is the product of the supernatural, and you exist right now in this very period of time.
You might as well say that homeowners don't exist because all you see is the house and not the people in the house, so therefor the house is the only thing there.

Some scientists believe that our minds actually exists elsewhere, and are quantum-linked to our brains to make them function, so basically when we die, we are stuck with just ourselves, but who knows what's on the other side? We could just be controlling disposable NEET bodies and on the other side is 2D waifus.
Please god let there be waifus.

it proves that not nothing can be destroyed. Previous atom doesnt exist. U r wrong
Dark energy is detectable. Why would u believe there r things u cant detect in any way, u iiot? U r wrong.

"i can see what my brain sees', thx to the brain, not a soul.
Moving on my wheel?
Everything is predictable to a degree. Thats why ppl can be classified into personalities, temperament types and mentally ill.

Your "proofs" r sophistry.
Kill yourself, u r not worth my time
U were never right

If souls didn't exist, then you wouldn't be able to see what your brain sees because since you don't have a soul, you wouldn't exist because your soul is what you are.

it proves that not nothing can be destroyed. Previous atom doesnt exist. U r wrong
YES IT DOES, IDIOT. IT'S JUST CHANGED. It may no longer be the atom that it used to be BUT IT DOESN'T MEAN IT NO LONGER EXISTS, RETARD.
If you chop a log into many pieces, it's not going to disappear into thin air, it's going to be different than the way it was before.

So what do you believe you are then, your brain? Because you obviously NOT your brain, or else you would have faded out of existence a long time ago.

Your brain has a powerful influence over your decisions, but in the areas you do have control over, you are for the most part the the one who makes the ultimate decision. Areas of the brain that you are actually conscious of would be redundant and useless without a soul.

I guess all "proofs" are "sophistry" then.

Talking to yourself or me? Hmmmmm…

I'll be back.

You shitpost in the Chan's for eternity.

Souls aren't energy, so that doesn't fucking matter. You have shown no evidence for your claims whatsoever. The closest you get is misunderstanding what energy is. You claim the evidence is right in front of us, and we are denying it, but you can't explain what that evidence is.

Because life is a process, and the process hasn't ended. When it does, that's what we call death.

No it isn't. Energy powers a lot of shit, if you're just claiming that energy is soul, and also basing all your claims on the idea that energy cannot be created or destroyed, then you are admitting that all our energy has belonged to other things in the past, and will belong to other things in the future. Hell, we lose and gain new energy all the time. Your entire argument is based on misunderstanding basic concepts and words. You're like a comic book writer trying to sound profound by talking about gamma rays or something, not realizing that in reality, these concepts are much more mundane than you think they sound.

Funny how it's all explainable by mechanical processes, the same as any other movement and animation in the universe. The only thing that is even close to mysterious to us is the idea of consciousness, not animation, and once again, there's no reason to jump to magic for that. Consciousness is not a form of energy or some shit. In fact, if it were, it would be contradicting the scientific principle you're citing but not understanding, because it would mean that when the population increases new energy is created, and we know that can't be the case, right?

Yes, all people are aware of consciousness existing. Nobody would contradict this.

So far, you haven't been able to describe any of these, though.

Yeah no shit. We're working on it. But by saying it's magic, you're taking the lazy way out and removing incentive to think harder. It's much better to admit we don't know, rather than jumping to conclusions.

You're only describing that consciousness exists. You yourself are saying that mind and consciousness aren't the same thing as a soul. You described a soul as a "greater force that animates bodies," but no mysterious force is needed to animate bodies. We know how that works, it's explainable with forces we already can explain, at least to greater degrees than you're talking about.

HI, I'M DOCTOR ROCKZO, THE ROCK N' ROLL CLOWN, I DO COCCAAAAAINE!!!!

Souls aren't energy, so that doesn't fucking matter. You have shown no evidence for your claims whatsoever. The closest you get is misunderstanding what energy is. You claim the evidence is right in front of us, and we are denying it, but you can't explain what that evidence is.
The most agreed upon definition for a soul is something that is separate from matter and life itself, which is why I refer to it as a soul.
Am I going to have to repeat myself again and again? I already gave you the evidence and explained it countless fucking times, and you can either choose to accept the evidence or reject it, take it or leave it.
Again, for the millionth fucking time, you aren't your brain. That's the concept of what a soul is.

Yeah, kind of like how a soul might have possibly belonged to another body in the past, oh wait…

But there are potentially tons of different forms of energy that exist in the universe that we don't know about, or are just beginning to discover. In this sense, "you" are losing energy everytime you die and leave your body.

I believe your choosing to misunderstand concepts and words. You choose to believe that a soul is something of physical matter instead the definition of a soul, simply because the agreed upon definition of a soul doesn't exist.

Try explaining how the force of gravity works through a "mechanical process". Mechanical processes wouldn't even exist without physics.

I'm talking about the soul, not what arises from your brain. From now on, refer to what I'm talking about using the proper definition to eliminate confusion. Don't merge the two together, they're completely different concepts.

Wrong. There is more energy than matter in the universe for that matter (no pun intended).
If the universe comprises mostly of energy, then we would have BY FAR more "souls" than every single atom you could ever find.

We are talking about souls, not consciousness. The two are different.

I already have. A million fucking times. Go look for yourself. But you don't even acknowledge the observations I have made.

I never said it was pure magic. That's impossible. Everything has a cause, and your existence is the cause of an external force called a soul. This law by itself also proves the existence of souls.

No I am not, because without a soul, consciousness couldn't exist. The two are symbiotic in nature. Your brain would be a dead-end without a soul, and awareness arising from your brain would go nowhere.

Something is only mysterious if we don't understand it. If we understood souls fully, then it would no longer be "a mysterious force".

**simply because the agreed upon definition of a soul doesn't exist to you.

READ "DMT: THE SPIRIT MOLECULE"

literal disinfo

I think DMT is spiritual because your brain rejects your soul from certain parts of it since you no longer have control over it as much anymore, but your soul still is in touch with the sensory areas thus the sensory distortion you experience from your unconscious mind.

There is literally no evidence that DMT is produced in the human brain.

It's produced in the pineal gland, but in small amounts. The amount that's produced isn't enough to make you trip massive balls.

I'm familiar with the claim. I'm saying there is no evidence of it.

actually brain is what you are. traumatic brain injury may turn someone into a vegetable or retard. how can force damage soul?

There actually is potential evidence for this. They looked at a rat pineal gland and found dmt in it. Since our pineal gland is almost genetically the same as rat pineal gland, it is more than likely that we do produce it. Not conclusive evidence, but it's highly intriguing.

A brain is not a soul or what you are, it's separate. You will more than likely destroy your ability to think or move, but that doesn't mean your "partially gone" or whatever, you just have less control over yourself once your damaged.

Source?
I have heard of it being found it rats (which I believe to be the source of the claim iirc). The main reason I sperg out whenever The Spirit Molecule is mentioned is the abject bullshit contained within the book.
The above claim is absolute horseshit.

Brain injury may also change someone's personality

Sorry, I forgot to include the source. But I'll try to include more than one source.
disinfo.com/2013/05/breakthrough-dmt-found-in-the-pineal-gland-of-live-rats/
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bmc.2981/abstract

I didn't ever say this, but whatever man.

I didn't want a source for DMT found in rat brains. As I said I already knew that. I want a source for "our pineal gland is almost genetically the same as rat pineal gland"
I know. But DMT: The Spirit Molecule did. As I said, that's why I have a kneejerk sperg reaction whenever it's mentioned.

That too. I just didn't want to literally include a list of everything that happens with brain injury.

wesapiens.org/class/3485018/file/13/Comparison between the human and rat brain
news.psu.edu/story/270321/2013/03/26/research/rats-brains-are-more-ours-scientists-previously-thought

k cool

But you claim that personality in dependent on soul rather than brain so how can physical trauma affect soul?

I never said that it did. What the hell are you on?

There are no IDs so it's hard to tell who's who but they keep saying that soul is what you are

It is what you are. But your essentially nothing all on your own except energy.

Show me the processor in the brain. Neuroplasticity, everything is cpu with different tasks.

I am eternally terrified by the idea of oblivion.

Okay, how about stillborn babies?

yea, brain isnt a soul, cuz soul doesnt exist and brain does

i rly am my brain. My personality, memory, temperament, behaviour r all functions of brain. And the rest of the body exists to feed the brain. Its all a vessel for the genes anyway.
u demonstrated no use for soul, nor its existence. Brain does it all.
All your "proofs" r.

whats the difference? Probably the same, as between brain and soul - just the same thing called differently

You become unconscious as the neurons in your claustrum cease to fire coherently, and then you never regain consciousness as those neurons die and decay.

Heaven/Hell is a fantasy dreamed up by people seeking to extort rent from people without doing any actual real work.

Prove it. I've already laid out the evidence, and I'm not repeating myself again. Unless you can prove that the brain is the only thing that exists, then "I'm right and your wrong" automatically. I'm not playing your stupid game.

Look up the definition of a soul. The reason you think that they don't exist is because you stupidly think that a soul is "personality, memory, temperament, behaviour", which is quite obviously a result of the brain. You refuse to believe something and use "HURR THE DEFINITONS R NOT WHAT I THINKS SO U WRONG I RIGHT HURR". What you are in the physical world is a result of your brain. If I were to say that the animator of an animation was the animation, that would make no sense, just like you.
There's a reason why you consciously experience certain parts of your brain while not being able to have any control over other parts. Wanna know why? BECAUSE YOU AREN'T YOUR BRAIN, or else you would be able to control literally everything about it.

This.

OP, your In b4 You go to heaven/hell/inset desired afterlife here
Just shows your unwilligness to accept the cold truth. Sweet dreams, fella.

Pseudo-fedoras are the worst atheists.

the same thing that happens to the information on a computers hard drive when you destroy it

If you are good you go to heaven if you are gay you go to hell

Define 'religious statements'

The problem is is that we have no idea if we're here because of our brains or not.
Our brains are constantly changing in many ways, so it may not be because of our brains for why we're here. It could be something else.

Except the 'might be' in your reasoning is pure speculation, and the absence of an alternative points to the scientific ang biological reality.

Where do you think Cockroaches' consciences go when they die? Or mice, or dogs or ants?

I think it's just best to admit that we don't truly know.
But we certainly aren't atoms for sure, or "somebody else" would be us by now and we'd be gone.
The only answer we have is that we do not know.

You say we don't know, while dismissing an idea that goes against your own beliefs. But okay, we'll agree to disagree.

Sounds alright to me. We don't have to always agree with each other 100% of the time.