Mo'zilla SJWfox

Mozilla will be dropping support of XUL coded extensions this year.

Why did they switch to Web Extensions despite being less functional?

Other urls found in this thread:

webextensions-experiments.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html
github.com/web-ext-experiments/logins/blob/master/api.js
theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org/autism-and-dealing-with-change/
addons.palemoon.org/extensions/category/all/
chiru.no:8081/stream.flac
gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/
github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/issues/299
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because sandboxing in performance.
Their goal is to use webextensions-experiments.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html for addon developers to reimplement any internal APIs they might need for certain things, which will obviously be a candidate for including in Firefox's version of webextensions
Example: github.com/web-ext-experiments/logins/blob/master/api.js

For what purpose? It's easier to sandbox an entire browser.

I fucking hate them as a web extension but I will unfortunately will have to live with them, still not sure why we cant keep what we have and get new shit.

Where exactly can I get a complete list of pros, cons, limitations and benifits of Web Extensions?

Thank you.

Pros: another example why Firefox is chrome 2.0

Cons: nobody knows how to make these except for the company forcing it, their github manual is bullshit

Nobody really knows how to make XUL addons either, it's archaic enterprise XML dogshit from the 90s that should've stayed dead with Netscape. The only problem was, it was pretty good for the time, and there are better ways these days.

It is part of an effort to sandbox the entire browser.

why would anybody want this enforced?

Goodbye chromefox.

This is them patching the browser, retard.
Any vulnerability in XUL addons has the potential to execute code as your user has is a few steps away from admin privilege escalation.

as long as ublock, umatrix, httpseverywhere, vimfix and classic theme restorer work i dont give a fuck

vimfx**

ahahahahahahahahahah

Shill harder.

le i am also from reddit le le le i agree le shill xddddddddd

You're a fucking retard, straight up. Fuck off back to reddit, subhuman.

Please never post on this board ever again

I don't personally mind this.

I've been using Firefox since it began, and as much as I don't like the idea of it straying too far from its roots (maybe it's part nostalgia and the hype 10 years ago), I think any alternative to Firefox will be worse.

It sucks that Mozilla is SJW, and addons are changing paradigms, but I don't think that takes away the fact that the web is a lot better thanks to Firefox. (Corporate sites like Facebook, etc. aside)

If the software has to change to adapt, so be it. As long as we have addons and a web where anyone is capable of easily making good sites, I think Firefox isn't going back on what made it and the web great.

If they can port noscript they sure as fuck can place extension hooks into their UI and improve the ability to customize keyboard shortcuts.
Whether it'll be done all at once and ready for the switch is probably not feasible, but I think you'll see it done.
Addons that heavily customize the UI are going to have some serious callback hell, and probably dent responsiveness to a small, noticeable degree.

It's either that or keep XUL stuff to a useless addon that really has no "functionality" and communicate with it.
Either way as long as I have tree style tabs and ublock I don't really care. Doing tree style tabs and UI customization right would probably be better. Tree Style Tabs and Classic Theme Restorer feel like hacky pieces of shit because XUL itself is a hacky piece of shit.
Browser.html when.

Because XUL is too hard to rewrite in Rust. :^)

Fuckoff faggot

Really it's because XUL doesn't lend itself to tabs and content process separation, which is an important security goal.
Honestly the fact that they even had the momentum to complete such a transition is pretty miraculous, there's a lot of technical debt in there.
If there's anything even close to providing the same amount of customization afterwards, Mozilla will have to have earned your respect at that point if you know anything about software development and that codebase in particular.

I mean, Pwn2Own hasn't even rewarded for Mozilla two(?) years. Firefox is just that easy.
But then again it's mainly autists whining that about UI change. It's pretty traumatic for them.
theautismblog.seattlechildrens.org/autism-and-dealing-with-change/

Because Mozilla has gone anything user-good in 2 years.

It'll be at least 2 years until my """stable""" version reaches that. So yeah, I'm just ignoring it and hoping someone will have made some pentadactyl alternative by then or a decent fork security-wise.

You don't understand the technical architecture that's happening in XUL and Gecko etc. They've been working many years to get Firefox ready for electrolysis.

Your attitude is exactly the same attitude that Microsoft had for the earlier versions of Windows. This assumption is a faulty assumption to take for the case of third party extensions for the context of security.

I find your choice of words peculiar given that the first example of electrolysis taught in schools is decomposing water into oxygen and hydrogen. Not exactly vapour, but close enough.

The point is that there is significant technical debt involved in Firefox. Before the electrolysis project, everything in Firefox assumed to run on a single thread. The Firefox codebase up to the start of electrolysis represents a massive technical debt that needs to be worked through piece by piece. Throwing more programmers to work in updating those assumptions won't make it go any faster because of the sheer scope of what Firefox does.

This is by far the most accurate visualization of Holla Forums.

From what I understand, Web Extensions and their new method of modifying the user interface are good ideas and offer important features that XUL can't be used with (multi thread support to keep one sites bloated JS from making your browser hang). The problem is that they're just not mature enough at this point to replace for XUL but Mozilla feels like they need to push shit out as quickly as possible to stay relevant.

Fuck off CryptoChromeKikes. I shall never support gayextensions.

Palemoon for life.
Use few, well-known and trusted extensions
Use SJWfox when absolutely necessary
Lol, you tell me
I like it ole glory
Lol, nope
nope again

lol

Watch them fall into obscurity, then. Firefox has been trash for years, and the only (and great) reason to use it was the wealth of XUL extensions available.

They're cutting the branch they are sitting on. That's like if Microsoft suddenly decided to switch everyone to Windows RT and scrap compatibility with Win32 programs.

Because
uh
uh
uh
uh, fuck you, we're the devs and we know what you want better than you do.

I just hope they don't wipe out their old addons database. A lot of great tools in there.

My issue with PaleMoon and their approach to addons is their page for it is simply a collection of links

addons.palemoon.org/extensions/category/all/

And the ones they do host there's no comments or reviews, no ratings or any sign as to how popular it is, no links or useful information about the person who made it(By: wsdfhjxc isn't helpful), no licensing information, no version information to see improvements or fixes, no information on how to submit an addon or get involved, >© 2016, maybe a single screenshot. These people have no idea how to sell something that's free to begin with.

It's barely more useful than doing a search in their forum. Which isn't even mentioned on that page, hell even a wiki would be more functional.

And I've been following this browser project for awhile, I want it succeed but it's very unlikely at this pace. I'm watching them make very poor use of what they have and it's disheartening.

Firefox 51 is released today. FLAC support in your browser.

chiru.no:8081/stream.flac

why are you doing this to us

Have you tried it with apulse?
Just because it's Lennartware doesn't mean it has anything to do with systemd, aside from creator.

classic theme restorer will not work, as it needs to operate on the browser's chrome, which is off-limits for webextensions
I don't know about the others as I don't know the webextension api, but if downthemall is an indication there's a high chance of incompatibility

I tried it but couldn't get it to work. Then again I hardly understand my .asoundrc so I might just be a retard

of course I'm just mainly memeing. I've actually come to terms with Lennartware and Red Hat shit in general. I'm planning to move my desktop to systemd and pulseaudio next month (using Gentoo here).

apulse is hit or miss, in my experience, it either tends to just work OOTB or is completely incompatible. I'm no expert on ALSA, though, but when it was relevant that was how it worked for me.
I disagree about systemd, because I've had too many problems with it in the past, but I've become pretty ambivalent about Pulse. It's part of the default install base for Slackware 14.2, and apparently disabling it without uninstalling it requires more than just disabling rc.pulseaudio (which I learned the "hard way" by running it unwittingly for half a year.) Unlike systemd, Pulse doesn't seem to give me problems, both recently and historically, so I'm willing to come to terms with that.

Cyberfox
Palemoon
Waterfox
Icecat

... what other forks exist?

Well firefox just keeps fucking themselves up, or maybe that's google since mozilla has google's dick jammed all the way up their ass, oh well, guess google gets to get 99% of the browser market.

When did people start saying "coded" instead of "written" and "coding" instead of "programming"?

Is this one of those Manolo Effects?

When is Palemoon going to get a Download Statusbar clone?

I think what Firefox forks like Palemoon really need is a "Firefox tab" extension that allows someone to view a web page with all the bells and whistles of Firefox. Firefox had the same thing back when it was an underdog in the market called IE Tab that helped wean people off of Internet Explorer. Once it got big enough it no longer needed it.

Mozilla's main contract is with Yahoo. Its contract with Google is already finished.

could be an idiom for unreadable (less readable) code

And since Yahoo is circling the drain, soon Mozilla will be finished too

You don't understand how businesses (and non-profit businesses) work. Mozilla is self-sustaining at this point. This means that it has a source of income and also it has enough cash reserves to fund any kind of work that they want to do at this time. If they're sensible, they will arrange their finance so that they have the cash to continue business in the future even without their biggest income source which is Yahoo.

They have a point, that new UI was a trainwreck that made no sense.

This meme needs to die. Palemoon isn't insecure, it gets the latest security updates right from Mozilla.

MS was trying to do just that, but it blew up in the faces because they were too late to the tablet/mobile game.

I think this is valid criticism. If I were you I would bring this up on their forum.

Funny how history repeats it self.

SJWs aren't that smart.

Or app instead of program
Or computer instead of microcomputer

buggy as shit though

Wasn't opera caught storing everyone's data?

lol

Opera is non-free software. This means usesr are forbidden to fork it whenever they want.

you sort of need to back statements like that with sources

Feels good man

Talk sense to a fool, and he calls you foolish.

Never heard that one, but I believe they are being bought by a Chinese consortium.

Has anybody saved the extensions yet

I would advise you two to look at how those "just works" distros configure pulse-audio (/etc/pulse/default.pa and so on). It has some pretty cool features if configured nicely.

What if autists are simply getting autistic about something that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of life? The autists of Holla Forums (and the rest) get angry over the tiniest of things; always perpetually angry and only getting happy when they are "defeating" a perceived enemy.

will those "new" extensions have access to anything on the page im looking at
like that chromium warning?

icecat is literary rebranded esr
realistically there are no up to date forks

I dont get how anyone doesn't use cyberfox. best fork

What's the point? I only give credit to Moonchild productions, since Goanna is actually somewhat of an alternative to both Firefox, and Gecko.

TorBrowser

If Mozilla doesn't have continuing corporate support they'll kill themselves funding "black girls code" or some bullshit like that.

I don't know about storing data, but not long after they switched away from Presto (say a year later), I was fucking around with their browser and wireshark and it was sending data on every address I accessed to some server in Virginia (US). And there was no way to disable it and a thread on their forums about that no employees would venture into to give answers. That was enough for me. Anybody that still trusts Opera is an absolute moron and I hope they're just out of touch.

Firefox had real improvements over IE, Pale Moon doesn't really have any improvements over Firefox except for more customization to not look like Chrome. I suppose soon it'll be one of the few remaining browsers that support these old extensions though.

I'm glad the furfag decided to try and support extension development. Maybe that'll be the only thing that saves this browser.

For the guy that said they don't host most of their add-ons, perhaps it'd be a good idea to back up the good extensions (even some that can be made to work in the future with the PMkit shit) and the pages they were hosted on, categorize them by compatibility to Pale Moon, then by the add-on categories on the Pale Moon website, and host them somewhere until they can add them to the site proper.

gnu.org/software/gnuzilla/

Other than it being a CPU hog I like it.

Nice palindrome get!

Mostly in the same way Fukushima is. It's no longer useful, but if it isn't kept on costly life support we are all very fucked.

I had at least one website recently that failed to run properly in Pale Moon for whatever reason but worked in Firefox. I'm not sure what the problem is but something along the lines of IE Tab might be necessary.

I don't know about you but developing a Javascript engine and a web renderer is not a trivial process for me. If Mozilla stop developing their non-webkit renderer, then only Google will be the ones who will control the web.

Then google will be a monopoly, and they'll be broken up by force, just like Ma Bell.

As of 2015 Firefox, Safari and IE all had pretty similar marketshare.

I still agree we need something better.

i despise their new cancerous logo

Pocket.

BTFO

Google will be broken up for monopoly abuse just like Microsoft were broken up by force?

Some of the add-ons don't work

yeah, they got 3 years. Tops.

If that's a screenshot of your desktop you should probably kill yourself.

been using .deb cyberfox, I think its decent but I'm not really informed

they pulled some data mining shit out too

I don't know if you've been paying attention, but fucking nobody has been enforcing antitrust law for the past 16 years or more.

Win9x/2K desktop looks aesthetic as fuck. Why so buttfrustrated?

It's due to lack of manpower. There are plans to improve the website (which include making a proper extensions repository), but that is a big project and the devs prefer to spend their time on improving the browser itself.

Nobody's forcing you to run the PulseAudio server you fucking spergs. Firefox only requires PulseAudio's client library, which is basically a thin wrapper to handle off an audio stream to the server - or if no PA server is running, to bare ALSA. It's tiny and does literally nothing more than forwarding audio data.

JUST

He's probably some cuck ui faggot from redmond that wants the world to be flat monotone garbage.

Mozoogle kills Classic Theme Restorer

github.com/Aris-t2/ClassicThemeRestorer/issues/299

2013-2017

Cyberfox is kill now, so yeah now what do you plan to do?

He's done a lot of shit to make a browser that is actually functional considering how shitty the code is. Memory leaks aren't as bad, and that's saying something.