How's your UMPC project going, Holla Forums?

How's your UMPC project going, Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

instructables.com/id/Turning-your-Raspberry-Pi-into-a-personal-web-serv/?ALLSTEPS
n-o-d-e.net/terminal_2.html
github.com/lunixbochs/glshim
pyra-handheld.com/
geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html
stevesprojectpages.com/battery-board-v0/
archive.is/4KBER
archive.is/enIW2
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/gpd-pocket-ubuntu-7-inch-laptop-indiegogo
archive.is/nu0we
youtu.be/rZDfTVX8Nb8
archive.is/pMdPC,
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's better than an orgasm
This is why I need a sd card reader

I just installed an Apache based server on my SJWPi as an aside, and while I can connect to it, as well as log-in to the MySQL database, I can not for the life of me get FTP to work. I have tried with two different clients (VSFTPD & Pure-FTPD.) I keep getting the dreaded 530 error. None of the troubleshooting methods I have found online are working for me.

I am also unable to ssh into the machine now, and I don't understand why.

I'm very new to this network-based shit, anyone care to hold my hand?

Tutorial I used:
instructables.com/id/Turning-your-Raspberry-Pi-into-a-personal-web-serv/?ALLSTEPS

Tried every 530 fix I can find online. Nothing appears to work.

Now it insists I'm running DeDian DNU/Dinux on my Beablebone and won't send input. Fuck.
Slightly related, but if I had a 5V1A power source and wanted to directly power a 5V device which only requires a few mA, how would I limit the current? How do they do it on boards like the Arduino? I'm planning on using an ATMega DIP on it's own, without the microcontroller, and something tells me sending 1A though it is a bad idea.

You have no idea how power supplies work do you? I bet you think that if you put a 1000 watt PSU in your desktop it will ruin things too.

That's why I'm asking. I already know that the wattage rating of a PSU describes it's capacity to provide power.
If I hook this 5V1A power source to the ground and Vcc pins of this 5V20mA microcontroller will it break? I'd test it but I don't have any replacements in case something goes wrong.

Do you know what wattage is and how you calculate it?

If you can't calculate wattage you have no business fucking with a microcontroller, especially if you're too poor to replace it. And if you are too poor, then go fuck around with Microchip MCUs where they will give you 25 per month for free (including free FedEx shipping).

What screen is that?

I already know what power, current and voltage are. Power is the product of the other two. I've already got more 328Ps on order but I don't want this one blowing before the others arrive.
I tested it and it works fine, so it doesn't really matter now. The Microchip sample thing looks really useful though, so thanks for that.

If I hook this 5V1A power source to the ground and Vcc pins of this 5V20mA microcontroller will it break?
I don't even.

What the hell? Where do you shop that they're so desperate they'll give away their inventory?

You do realize most semi conductor manufacturers give away products for free through sample programs. The few thousand they end up giving away is cheap marketing considering what theyre generally designed for ends up being mass produced products.

I was not aware of this. Now I need to find some cool projects I could do with microcontrollers.

As long you have the right voltage and do not go over the current limit, it will be fine.

Looks like the Resistive Touch usb stuck on a cheap 7' TFT panel from ebay or banggood.

Are there any purchasable pre built UMPCs on the market running Wangblows or Leencucks?

No. It will not.

If you had a five volt, ten GIGAamp PSU, you could hook it up to a five volt, ten NANOamp device, and be fine.

A power supply's volts is how much electrical PRESSURE there is

Whereas its amp rating tells you how MANY amps can be drawn out of it without killing it

Volts must match (or be very close, depending); Amps are simply a spec to be met or exceeded.

Are there any guides on how to make a portable odroid or any of these portable SOC computers?

This got widespread coverage at the time it was released but frankly is not much of a guide at all, and is missing major details.

n-o-d-e.net/terminal_2.html

It's a start maybe, I'd probably hit up odroid forums though.

Can you compile Xonotic for Odroid? It should be powerful enough to run it.
t. someone who doesn't know much about linux

It's a yosoo 5inch 800x480. Uses the GPIO headers and HDMI. Resistive touch but I haven't figured out how to get the drivers for it to work with ubuntu mate (corrupted disc).

Here's how I did it
Now, configuring the screen
Done

Darkplaces has been compiled to run on pi, so it should be possible to get Xonotic to run on Odroid (I think). Xonotic is based off of Darkplaces.

On the other hand good luck finding much info, if you look for info on hardware accelerated GLES games you basically just find a decade of people begging for something and next to no proof of anything outside of glxgears actually working

The command is bootini, not bootinii

How much fancy stuff do you have to do to get it running on a LiIon battery? Is it just connect or done?

I just bought a cheap one from the store and connected it via microUSB with no hitches.

What screens under

desperate bump

What does UMPC stand for?
Ultra Mega Pozzed Computer? These look fucking shit.

Ultra
Mobile
Personal
Computer

Yes, lots of them. Learn to google.

If it's ancient (desktop) GL 1.x games, this can help:
github.com/lunixbochs/glshim

Stop rigging a frankenstein and just wait for Pyra tbh.
pyra-handheld.com/

Or if you don't mind X86 grab a GPD Win and slap Linux on it.

geekbuying.com/item/GPD-Win-5-5-inch-Game-Console-Intel-Atom-X5-Z8500-Windows-10-OS-4GB-64GB-Gamepad-Quad-Core-2-24GHz-Gorilla-Glass-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

I do. Fuck this abomination of an ISA.

Nice to see another retard who has no idea what he's talking about

If you mean you're looking for company, I'm sorry to tell you you didn't find it.

Nigger, I've been writing hand-tuned code in x86 assembly for two decades. Analyzed compiled high-level language code at the disassembly level for performance tuning. Co-authored a few recompilers both emulating and targeting x86. I know this architecture and its modern implementations inside and out. This architecture is an utter and complete clusterfuck.

And that's not even touching the licensing situation that effectively prevents any company that is not Intel or AMD from bringing competition to the x86 processor market.

x86 is cancer. It needs to die.

Building a UMPC, one of the things I have yet to work out is power/charging/batterymanagement

Would it be enough to buy one of those microusb battery packs for charging phones or whatnot, but strip it out of its case to go into the new case? The behaviour I want is for the UMPC to act like a laptop. As in, you can run it off the battery, or plug it in for charging and run it as the battery also charges, and all seamlessly.

Does the orange zero come with a battery, or do you have to supply that yourself?

Someone's done that with a raspi.
stevesprojectpages.com/battery-board-v0/
archive.is/4KBER

thoughts on this overpriced umpc?
archive link: archive.is/enIW2
omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/gpd-pocket-ubuntu-7-inch-laptop-indiegogo
indiegogo archive: archive.is/nu0we

I want a cyberdeck.

FUCK

why exist at all?

Holding it that way looks incredibly uncomfortable. Actually, how would you make a UMPC with a keyboard comfortable at all? Something like a PS Vita w/ a sliding keyboard or maybe pic related?

i want a cyberdick

Because you're a shazbot.

>>>/cyber/

That problem has been solved already:
pyra-handheld.com/

Basically, a DualShock-like (but flat) pad with a QWERTY thumb keyboard below the analog nubs, with shoulder buttons (R1/R2/L1/L2) doubling as modifier keys (Ctrl,Alt,Shift,Fn) so you can comfortably enter key combos and the analog nubs doubling as a trackpoint and dual-axis mouse wheel.

It's comfy as fuck.

Where's the fucking youtube embed when you need it? I bet jews took it.
youtu.be/rZDfTVX8Nb8

might not be open source or anything like that, and getting linux on it is pretty finicky BUT its still a wonderful UMPC that plays all the games i want.

GPD basically took the pandora/pyra and said "hey we can do that and not take a fucking decade to produce it"

cost was $350 which is pretty pricy but i love the thing, it basically goes everywhere with me at this point.

big note though, this is not practical for programming or server work or anything like that, the keyboard is pretty bad and has to be typed on with thumbs, however GPD's newest UMPC is basically a sony pocket VAIO clone that ships with ubuntu.

I've heard this little shit overheats and throttles as fuck, especially if you tax the GPU. How true is this?
Also, $350 is hardly pricey for a pocket full-blown PC.

i dont use it to play graphically intense games, it CAN play skyrim and shit like that with some modification, but dont buy this if you're wanting some kind of replacement for your gaming PC/Laptop

so far i've used it for basically every emulator under the sun (EXCEPT GAMECUBE, it just cant handle it) and a shit load of easy-to-run 2d GOG games (and some steam ones too, think stardew valley or owlboy, the shante series, and even rayman origins on lower settings) and its worked 100% no overheating and no throttling. the big draw of the gpdwin is its built-in controller which makes it perfect for the kinds of games i mentioned because honestly why the fuck would you buy this, a super portable computer that specifically has a built-in controller to also bring along a mouse and be forced to play sitting at some flat surface. the big draw is that its extremely close in size to the New3dsxl (i had one and can confirm that) so if you actually play games that it can run and you dont have the expectation of maximum gaymen purformance, its simply amazing.

That thing looks really fucking cool OP.
Post more pics.

nice trips
saving up for a Pyra Dragonbox

That would be amazing if it gets a Zen APU.

Zen ain't gonna scale down to the kind of thermal budget required for a device of such size. It's a big core for you.

I'm looking at some SBCs (specifically the orange pi zero, one, and lite), and some cheap LCD screens, (specifcally archive.is/pMdPC, fuck ali's yuge urls), and while all the screens seem to have male header pins none of the SBCs seem to have female pins. Am I missing something here, or are the SBC's pins not for connecting to a screen?

What's the next part of their master plan?

what do you guys think of my plan to put a 1.8 tft touch screen with a raspberry pi zero w and a bluetooth HTPC controller like pic related.

The screen would go where the touchpad is.

oh shit I haven't listened to "Me First and the Gimme Gimme's" in forever. Thanks for the nostalgia

You're welcome.
also, bump

thats a long phone number