Removing botnet from car

Why is that there's basically no instructions on internet forums on how to remove the cell phone botnet from your car? It's pretty indicative that nobody's bothering to do it.

I spent some time searching around how to remove the cell phone in newer models (usually marketed as some kind of safety feature which you can call in). They send diagnostic data to the car manufacturer and have been a security vector for getting remotely hacked.

I don't want to drive in a piece of shit and the longer these things are around, most used cars will have them too eventually.

Eventually, I realized Toyota calls it a DCM and the generic name is a "Telematics Transceiver". Without that knowledge, it's impossible to find any practical information online. Unfortunately, the vehicle service manual says removing it requires removing the entire fucking instrument panel from the car, basically ripping out the entire front section interior. It's placed deep, deep inside the car. Fuckers.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/
chris.illmatics.com/about.html
illmatics.com/remote attack surfaces.pdf
illmatics.com/Remote Car Hacking.pdf
techdirt.com/articles/20170116/09333936490/law-enforcement-has-been-using-onstar-siriusxm-to-eavesdrop-track-car-locations-more-than-15-years.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just build a GNU/Golf cart

Are you seriously implying every car made before 2009 is a piece of shit? Are you actually implying a car from 2008 is a piece of shit?

Nigger, gas mileage and power to weight ratios unless it's a hybrid have changed very little since the early 2000s if at all. A 2002 Civic gets about 30 combined MPG. A 2009 Honda Civic also gets about 30 combined MPG (it might actually be a tad worse do to increased weight vs earlier gens) basically it's the same inline 4 and only a slightly revised Engine Control Unit.

I've heard people in auto forums pulling the antenna connection off the box. You're right, it's pretty rare. Do you have to pull the entire module these days?
Excuse me while I check in to Facebook with my position update from my iPhone so Uber can pick me up lol.

Go to a mechanic and ask them to take it out/disable it. If they won't do it, citing "muh OEM reccommendation" just go to a mechanic in the hood. Also,

I find this sort of manufacturer control even more insidious than computer backdoors.

What did he mean by this?

He's seriously implying every car made before 2009 is a piece of shit. As if 2009 was a turning point in the world of car manufacturing.

Many new cars these days come with a built in cell modem that uploads telemetry from the car to the manufacturer. They then package and resell the data, usually including locations to whoever wants it. The cell modem can also be used to hack the car. OP wants to disable it and was looking for instructions. Here's an older article about it.
wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

So there's a cell modem in cars that work without limit and without the car owner directly paying for the connection? Why don't people hijack that connection for free cell modem data?

What if you put some metal around the antenna to keep from sending data?

You could also import a car from a third-world country. They remove all those """features""" because there is no infrastructure in those places to use it; so a Toyota bought in Mexico will not have that shit enabled, but will still have the instrument panel.

Sauce?

Consider reverse image search and maybe kill yourself while you're at it, you redditfag.

It's locked to the manufacturer. I imagine a hacker with the skillset to unlock it has easier methods of getting free cell minutes.

Because anyone interested in that is also more likely to have a decent knowledge of maintaining a vehicle and has no problem maintaining something older.

Rising insurance premiums on anything that isn't self driving in the mid 2030s (during which time self driving cars would start approaching 50% of the vehicles on the road if they get introduced in 2022-2024 like companies have said they would) will start making non self driving cars a non option for anyone who doesn't have quite a bit of money. By that time a car from before 2009 would be about as old as a car from the early 90s now, ie still viable as a daily driver.

Removing botnet from a car might seem a little petty, but the agriculture industry has been fucked horribly by DRM. You "license" tractors instead of owning them, and if something breaks and you repair it yourself it won't work. It would be horrible to see that in consumer vehicles.
We're closing in on a future where you actually would have to pirate a car

take a nice car oldtimer or not and exchange the engine and parts of the suspension.
You now have a old robust car with a powerfull and efficent engine

There are PDFs of the service manual everywhere you tard. Look in that.

Oh noes, you mean you will have to do work? So it aint so user.

A quick jewgle turned up these pdfs from this guy
chris.illmatics.com/about.html
who seems to know his shit. Might get somebody (smarter than me) started in the right direction

illmatics.com/remote attack surfaces.pdf
illmatics.com/Remote Car Hacking.pdf

That's barely enough information to remove anything from any 2014 Jeep Cherokee. You cannot assume that the architecture is similar on other vehicles.

it's a jumping-off point. And anyways, looking into to de-botnet anything is more a mental exercise than something practical; there are so many attack vectors and potential adversaries have such resources that if they're after you, you're probably fucked already.

Niggers he's talking about driving a car on borrowed time. Sure, he can buy one from 2009 but by 2020 he'll be looking at major repairs that will add up quickly.

Because once the drivetrain starts showing it's wear, it'll no longer be cost effective to buy the tools and invest the space/labor to repair it.

It depends on the model a lot. A 2001 Cherokee 4.0L I6 has 190hp 225ft/lbs torque, a 2009 Toyota Camry 3.5L V6 has 268hp 248 ft/lbs. Even though the Cherokee is lighter at 3190lbs compared to the Camry's 3516lbs, the Camry manages to get better mileage at 19/28 compared to the Cherokees 16/21.

Modern cars are a closed source mess, and literally no one can bother to figure out 1 of them let alone the variety of mess. It'll cost you a fortune to find someone that will remove one of those detector that slow you down if muh polution is a bit too high for some greenfag's sensibilities, let alone something like muh privacy.

I agree. That's why lead gas was so useful in retarding the world. Muh pollution. What did the environment ever do for us?

Jesus Christ.

Well, as long as you don't live in a shithole county that requires emission tests.

automotive industry was dead when uconnect was brought into existence. nope, actually when ECUs became a thing. I wont drive a car until I can get one with all mechanical parts

You unbelievable faggot. Read about the smog in Chinese cities. That's what emissions standards are there to protect against.

Think you'd be looking at early 70's or older to get points ignition. Bonus is it would still be driveable in event of EMP air bursts.

Yeah, let's wait until 2020 until we start talking about removing the botnet.

considering that tard was talking about covering the antena is foil rather than just unplugging it, yes he is serious

Along with most other cars. Nothing short of solar flare apocalypse will wipe out most cars. I bet you think an EMP from nukes will knock out amateur radio equipment that isn't plugged in as well.

Buy a GNU/Bike you fat fuck

Is this sort of thing in a 2015 mazda cx5?

jesus fucking christ

this tbh, bikes are pretty cheap and anything within 10 miles is easily commutable

People who don't want botnet cars generally just don't buy them
New cars a shit anyway. They just have annoying things that beep at you for no reason, are ugly and have shit stereos you can't remove

If you do this, don't forget to disable the hardware for satellite radio if the car has it:
techdirt.com/articles/20170116/09333936490/law-enforcement-has-been-using-onstar-siriusxm-to-eavesdrop-track-car-locations-more-than-15-years.shtml

Cellphone jammers are pretty cheap and you get one for less than $50.
Funny story, when i removed the cell module from my sewage unit, the public utility company immediately sent out a crew "to repair it" and they gave me shit about destroying their property, because apparently i was only leasing it from them. I told them that i wanted a unit without botnet , to which they replied that the botnet is an essential, integral part of the sewage system. It's now powered off and i only turn it on once a week to drain the pipes, which clogs the sewer pipes and they have to come out every week to fix it. I'd sue them, but i've already dug the holes and bought the holding tanks for a composting toilet, which i'm going to build this summer. I can't wait to purge the botnet and fertilize my grape-vines with my own shit.

Cars are beyond fucked when it comes to the botnet. They're getting more and more tightly integrated, I wouldn't be surprised if the ECU checked to ensure that telemetry was working and refused to start if it wasn't, John Deere tractors do the same sort of shit, and effectively have DLC - you can license additional features (including extra horsepower from the engine), and all of it is enforced by ECU.

Buy a fucking mid-80s sports car and learn to maintain it.

I'm not that poster, but when I try to reverse image search, google can't find the url. How does one reverse image search images on Holla Forums on firefox?

I use tineye, it works without javascript and external resources.

Cellphone jammers are SUPER illegal in pretty much everywhere that's not a demilitarized zone.

A few months ago I saw something about this on tv. Yurop wants to force car manufacturers by law that all models built after 2020 or 2024 have this mandatory phone in them. They sell it as a safety feature but we all know that it is just a tool for surveillance.

If I ever get enough money to buy a car, I will either buy an 80s or 90s car and lots of spare parts for it or not buy it at all. There is no need to have a botnet car. I wish this fucking nightmare would end but it gets worse every single fucking day.

It seems like we've lost the race with cars. Unlike phones, software DRM, computers and such I've heard of very little attention being paid to car electronics from hacker circles. Maybe because of singularityfag shilling they were welcoming automation, who knows.

In this time, manufacturers have made huge process towards obfuscating their design, making it very difficult to access the hardware and rigging the legislation against freedom. Cars themselves and mechanic certifications being so expensive probably helps keep people from fucking with them.

Like many have said, you can still get an old car, but is that a sustainable solution? For one, the population of old cars is strictly decreasing, since no one is making more, and some get scrapped. Buying an old used car is also a complicated matter. Sometimes maintenance is an issue as parts become hard to find.

I wish the custom car businesses started expanding into making (from scratch or modifying existing stuff) less flashy, cheap, daily-driver type cars. Being mostly local and small, these have little incentive to cuck the car with botnet.

Literally "ideas so good they have to be mandatory". Good thing the EU is falling apart.

you are wasting an opportunity to send a message to car manufacturers. ask explicitly for a car with no IoT shit on them. manufacturers won't notice nor care you don't like it if they get keep getting paid for putting that shit in cars.

Actually there is something similar to the hacking scene in cars. Car manufacturers lock down their ECUs so that nobody can fuck with it. Car tuners then try to hack it because they cannot tune their cars perfectly if the have no control over the ECU. This is often done by prominent car tuning shops like Mines. Then you can go to them and let them unlock your ECU and tune your car perfectly to your needs.

Mines was already a workshop with good reputation but they got more prominent after they managed to be the first ones who hacked the ECU of the new Nissan Skyline successor (Nissan GTR). I think this will continue similarly.

I also asked myself if it was possible to buy a sports car without all the botnet stuff. Basically you go to the dealership and tell them you want this model but without all the unnecessary electronics because it distracts you from driving. I also believe that cheap cars in the sub 10k price region do not come with fancy botnet features as they have to cut down the costs.

and then the dealer looks at you like you're fucking retarded before politely brushing you off.

That sounds dangerous.

How is that fucking legal?

Capitalism.

At this point I almost don't care about capitalism. It's just a fucking pyramid scheme.

There is so much more than the ECU in modern cars though. TCU could mean traction, transmission or telemetry control unit. Some cars the telemetry unit is on a redundant system solely so it can't be fucked with if the ECU gets modified.

Learn to work with cars, I drive a 1991 MX5. Manual transmission and manual steering its the GNU/Linux car.

I'm pretty sure the sales guy is would be willing to let you negotiate having their service shop disconnect and antenna if it means he gets his omission on a $20k+ sale.

Until I have enough money for a sports car, there won't be any left for me the old ones from the 90s and 80s like in initial d. The new ones will require governmental botnet and have DRM botnet as well. I can see it already how you have to purchase a license to drive more than 100 km/h and it will only be valid for one day and on one specific route.

Has somebody talked the stallman about the need for gnu/car?

pls, '89 carbed 1.2 Justy or go home. 0 electrics whatsoever.

Also available with 4WD since 1989.

I actually asked him about that when I saw him give a speech.
He said there's not really the push for it to happen and didn't seem to care much about the subject.

Stallman's ideals about a free car that doesn't spy on you is the same as a free computer that doesn't spy on you. What he won't do is spend much time advocating for the cause of cars that don't spy on you - he's dedicated his time especially for the cause of freedom in software and in computing. It's up to other people to take the cause of advocating for cars that belong to the owners.

It's not hard to find 90's cars where you can buy aftermarket and "open" replacements to OEM car electronics.

Not an argument.

End yourself, faggot.

Carbs or go home. PITA to adjust, but when a EMP or whatever hits your car, nothing will happen because 0 electrics whatsoever.

I'm not worried about any theoretical EMP event. In the event of one or more EMP events that affects multiple countries, society will already be collapsed and the state of anarchy will ensue. If this is the case, your EMP resistant car won't last very long in such a situation; people will become more savage and steal your car away by force. Not only that, supplies of gas will dwindle as only the military would have the resources to run the needed infrastructure to obtain and process the gas.

We're also closing in on a future where you can 3D-print one.

Wasn't that the plot of Mad Max 2?

trashed

You ought to be able to locate the GSM antenna pretty easily. Once you do, you can either shield it or disconnect it at the source and replace it with an appropriate load resistor. The radio will think it's connected to an antenna but nothing will come or go through.

Elegant solution, but:

How?

How would you know the load? Voltmeter when it's on?

A lot of cars I've seen have a little fin on the roof that I'm pretty sure contains the antenna. You'd probably be able to find the wiring harness diagrams on tech car forums if you dug around.

Just googling, you'd want a 50 ohm terminating resistor. A little 5 watt model would probably be more than enough.

I think this is an important discussion. I want to replace my 20 year old truck eventually (little things keep breaking-fuel efficiency declines...keeping an old vehicle running is also a pain if you don't have a backup car for long repair jobs.)

I think I remember hearing that John Deere was suing tractor hackers. Not sure how it ended up.

can't we just import cars from russkyland or chinkland? They come with poor quality and poor security standards but at least they are less botnet than ours right?

Ultrabotnet and bitcoin miners
Lada is just a Fiats with a different badge and shell.

It really depends on your country's car registration laws. I'm sure it's possible but it's probably much easier to buy old cars than it is to grey import a piece of shit.