Other than Hellboy, I never really see much Dark Horse stuff posted around here...

Other than Hellboy, I never really see much Dark Horse stuff posted around here, so I feel like just storytiming a bunch of random stuff I've downloaded over the years. Some you may have heard of, I'll dip into some familiar stuff on occasion, Hellboy's crossed over with a lot of these characters. At one point Marvel was my favorite line, at another DC, then back to Marvel, at the moment I don't much like either, but I realized through all of it, Dark Horse has continuously chugged along putting out great quality stuff, and has had a consistent in-house style that permeates most of the line. I'm just kind of going to give you a sampling of different stuff I've liked over the years, a lot of which never really took off. I'll post some Mask, Madman and Hellboy stuff as well, just 'cuz I really like them. Some recurring traits of note:

-More genuinely adult, mature themes. This means yes there's some gore, nudity and violence, but it rarely feels gimmicky or edgy, typically it genuinely feels mature.
-A lot of the stories tend to have a pulp noir 1940's sort of feel to them, even if they take place in a modern or even future setting. Personally, I love this shit.
-Supernatural stuff shows up extremely frequently in this line, more than the others I'd say.
-Their line translated tons of manga once upon a time, in fact I'll post some.
-Lots of friendly crossovers with the other lines.
-Most movie adaptations -horror especially- can be found here. Comics on Alien, Predator, The Thing, Robocop, Godzilla, etc.

I'll start with Foot Soldiers, a post-apocalyptic super hero story about heroes who largely have foot-related powers. Only lasted four issues, but some images suggest more was planned. It's an old favorite, and something quick to start off with before I move on to other stuff.

I have a planned reading list, but I don't know if I'll post it since I might deviate from it.

Interesting, I'll get around to reading it later.

Unfortunately, that's all there is for this series. One shot in issue 2 that revealed the wall guy early shows a guy with bladed wheels on his shoes, probably would have become another member of the group. I wonder if eventually someone woulda had rocket boots. Johnny Stomp was easily my favorite.

Up next, some manga. Written by the creator of Fist of the North Star and drawn by the creator of Berserk, I give you Japan, a lovesick Yakuza tough guy, the reporter he's obsessed with and some other Japanese people are sent to a post-apocalyptic future where the Japanese are refugees primarily kept as slaves. Holla Forums'll either love or hate it.

That's it for Japan, I'd love to hear a Holla Forums dissection of it.

Now for something completely different.

The Goon presents: Satan's Sodomy Baby!

That's three down, not sure which I'll post next.

I think I'll go with the origin story of Concrete now. I debated posting the color version since it would be a lot easier, but it changes some story elements and IMO isn't as good. This original version is being posted from the third story of the original run's TPB.

That covers his origin story, most of his other stuff isn't so fantastic. They're still interesting reads though, so I'll post more later of it's requested.

Alright, picking back up with The Nevermen. I've only got two minis of this.

Something I miss since Star Wars was bought by Disney is the Dark Horse comics that were made.

Really good quality reads, and I especially liked the Boba Fett stories.

Huh, I thought I had some Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but I checked and can't find anything. Do have some Starship Troopers comics, though. You're right though, I definitely liked their Star Wars output better than what Marvel's churning out these days.

That's it for the Nevermen, just curious, anybody reading along through the thread? I started this as sort of background noise while watching the debate, but there's plenty more I planned to post.

I was reading up until Satan's Sodomy Baby, then I went to bed

The Foot Soldiers was a fun read,with a feel of Mad Max meets War of the Words, it's a damn shame that it never got more issues
Japan could easily fit as a prequel to Hokuto No Ken, and Miura's artwork gave me the impression that it was a Berserk/Hokuto no Ken crossover, makes me wonder if working with someone like Buronson is what Miura needs to get his shit together and finish Berserk
Satan's Sodomy Baby was interesting, whenever someone tries to do this kind of humour in comic book format it ends up being either stupidly edgy or just right up unfunny, but this one was hilarious, the unbirth part was funny as hell, and the A.O.R.P.W.A.A.R.A.T.R.T.B.O.T.R.O.T.R was funny if somewhat prophetic

I'm gonna read the rest later

Satan's Sodomy Baby was good, but I thought Big Blown Baby did it better.

Does anyone have Big Blown Baby? It was kind of a rough draft of the later Lil' Hellboy stories by the same guys, only grosser.

I'm just passing through right now, but I will read the thread later. Thanks for posting all this!

People probably don't talk about DH aside from Hellboy, Sin City, and their licensed stuff because, like its contemporary indie associates, a lot of stuff has come and gone under their wing. Most of it is either pretty obscure, out-of-print, or just unfinished, which presents the usual challenges for in-depth discussions. Nobody wants to assume if people have read that one thing, so of course they gravitate to using Hellboy as an ice breaker of sorts.

I always recommend Concrete as an exceptionally well-written comic to anyone who will listen.

But who the fuck ever listens?

Alright, was a bit busy for a bit there. Picking up where I left off, I'm going to post the first issue of Freaks Amour, the only issue I have unfortunately. It was downloaded by mistake. It's really weird in a good way, like a less demonic version of Nightbreed.

After that I'm going to post a few random Mask stories, and a couple of his crossovers culminating in Joker/Mask where as the name suggests, the Joker dons the Mask.

Then I'll post Catalyst: Agents of Change in which a team of super heroes opt to protect their city by building a wall around it.

Then I'll dump Beasts of Burden which includes a Hellboy crossover and follow it with every Hellboy crossover I've got.

This is the plan, at least.

I'll start with the Mask familiar to those who saw the movie or watched the cartoon.

Three pages of Mask Mignola drew.

And now the three part World Tour mini, where Mask meets a bunch of… less popular Darkhorse characters. Ghost, Zero, X, Barbed Wire, King Tiger.

Eh, it's worth a look if you've heard of any of those characters. I like a couple of 'em.

Apparently The Foot Soldiers got continuations in the form of two OGNs published by AIT/Planet Lar