Sometimes I feel like giving up and installing systemd. Does anyone else know that feel?

Sometimes I feel like giving up and installing systemd. Does anyone else know that feel?

Other urls found in this thread:

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-i18n/fcitx-anthy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It feels good not having autism.

Depends on why you're using Linux systems in the first place. Personally I use them because they just work, and the source is open enough that you can see what they do internally. My computer is a tool, made for the purposes I use it for, and fiddling with the init system isn't part of my work. As long as it doesn't get in the way of my workflow I don't have to care about the init system. If i was a sysadmin I'd think otherwise.
One thing I am worried about though is the fact that the systemd devs fuck up other programs and insist the other program is in the wrong. There are also loads of projects tying themselves to systemd, which means porting them to something else would be harder.

It's that simple.

OpenRC won't hold forever and Gentoo's OpenRC maintainer is a systemd plant

t. knower

it's just that simple

systemd is fine and only mentally defective autists think otherwise

It's even simpler.

Go away Harry Pottering.

If you're too fucking lazy to support the development of what you want to see, you deserve to get the works of people who aren't lazy.

I switched to FreeBSD.

Not an argument

MODS!

Pictures of assholes do not belong in Holla Forums.

Fuck off Pottering.

It's fine as long as they're spoilered.

It takes zero effort to us OpenRC on Manjaro/Arch. I still have SystemD-based distros on less important computers though.

My dad works at Nintendo
t. le t. meme

What other distros let you pick what init you want to use? It can't be that hard.

Debian. It comes with systemd by default but it has decent support for sysvinit+openrc (and supposedly upstart, but I haven't tried that). They have semi-official kFreeBSD and HURD ports that can't support systemd, so I don't expect support for non-systemd to disappear any time soon.

You just apt-get remove systemd-sysvinit to use another init system or apt-get remove systemd to remove all systemd, and you pay attention to the packages it removes - if you need NetworkManager, for example, it's a good idea to install wicd first. Basic stuff.

I used Debian sans systemd for a week or two as an experiment (I don't particularly mind systemd) and it went smoothly.

I read this convo and then clicked the picture and nearly feel out of my chair laughing.

This is the one true answer. That said, I have been meaning to test out TrueOS (née PC-BSD).

what a piece of crap. Gentoo has -systemd USE for NetworkManager as well. This is why binary distro is shit, SHIT! Either you conform to the packagers "paradigm" or spend hours tweaking your own builds, depencies and so on.

inb4 arch build system meme or something

Not an argument

I agree with your post but NM is a terrible example. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever for anyone to use a "network manager", or even wicd for that matter which is just a shitty ncurses interface for wpa_supplicant. Even less the shit tier software that is NetworkManager.

I use NetworkManager to manage my network connections. It feels good being able to input and configure network connections without having to type configurations into a text file. Until the alternatives get a decent GUI for GTK or Qt, then I can't really bother with them.

wicd's GUI is alright. It's worse than NetworkManager's, so I won't bother with it unless I have to, but I can live with it.

This. Basically for work, it's hard to avoid. For my own purposes as a dev, it's important to know how things work without it so it's good to learn both. The problem with tying things to systemd is EXACTLY like you've mentioned: "It's the other problem at fault. Hurrr."

The good news is for everything that becomes exclusive, expect a fork or alternative.

Daniel Robbin's has his own version if things go south with Gentoo's, but I mostly doubt that.

True, but it's important ensure functionality without it because systemd is surely not without it's own myriad of problems.

wpa supplicant with its qt GUI + dhcp client is more than good enough.

Have you tried fcitx with mozc?

There is an fcitx package but not a mozc or any other Japanese input plugin.

Is there a Gentoo fork or closely associated distro that have a GUI installer that works offline as well?
I hate Gentoo and arch simply because if something mess up spectacularly, you're in this catch22 situation with no LIVEUSB or internet to reinstall everything.
I guess a Gentoo version of Antegros?

I don't even know how you could end up in that position. Either you're using another partition to bootstrap the installation or you're using a liveCD/USB. Either way you have internet options.

Just look at other distros' anthy/fcitx packages for pointers and then build those packages for Void. This will teach you a lot and help you understand how xbps works. It also helps you start contributing to your distro of choice!

eg. for Gentoo ebuilds you can easily search them in packages.gentoo.org

packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-i18n/fcitx-anthy

Click "Git repository browser" on the right to see the ebuilds.

Although maybe Arch/Debian would work better for this because they're binary distros like Void..

I managed to build fcitx-anthy, which is sort of a rarity because I usually can't get past cmake without having to install a package that doesn't exist in the repo or isn't recognized. It still didn't work until I stumbled upon a different problem when I was trying to fix gedit. I think the problem was that Void didn't update the gtk immodules. I saw an old issue that referenced this and suddenly fcitx input works.

tl;dr - it works, thank you. You've saved me tons of trouble. ありがと!

Gentoo's LiveUSB isn't even a LiveUSB with an installer on it.

Sabayon's OK, but it's systemd default. What you should do instead is install minimal Slackware, Arch, Ubuntu on one partition and just ensure you have a bootable system. This will act as a recovery and boot partition. Then use systemrescueCD to shrink that install and create a new partition where you can install a Gentoo base. Then just use your recover/boot partition to continue installing Gentoo and configure the bootloader to recognize your Gentoo kernel (vmlinuz-4.whatever.version) and partition. Ubuntu has a decent gui customizer for grub2 that you can download and I'm sure you can use it to manually configure the bootloader to see the Gentoo kernel and partition.

It happens. Depends on the computer you're attempting to do the install on. Personally, I've found some PCs with really old BIOS to be a pain in the ass. I prefer UEFI for this reason.

That's kind of the point of how the installation of Gentoo is supposed to work. You can do the install yourself from pretty much any livedisk you can find, in theory mostly. It depends what tools are available, of which you don't really need much. SystemrescueCD tends to be the most compatible with any PC I've come across in my experience. When all else fails or you just want to get a functional system up fast and take your time with the Gentoo install after, you can have a go with the piggyback method I specified above.

Systemdicks lets my vpn connect before everything else is loaded and ensure that no traffic goes through unless it's through the VPN.

Tell me more.

are the voices of japanese little girls THAT screeching? it sounds like her vocal cords are going through a cheese grather

Good point, and of course it is one of the strength and beauty of Gentoo, undeniably - however, this approach still can't solve the catch22 situation I listed.