The affordable PowerPC workstation is already here, you dumb fucks

Hey all you faggots still waiting on Talos and other x86 replacements. Friendly reminder that Amiga still exists, and that modern Amiga workstations are PPC_64. It's not quite Power8, but it's still PowerPC and it still doesn't have the Intel/AMD botnet built in. Most importantly, it already exists, and you don't have to sell your family off into slavery just to afford it.

amigaonthelake.com/amigaone-x5000-system-first-encounters-bundle/
archive.is/3NJMX

amigaos.net/hardware/133/amigaone-x5000
archive.is/lPH26

And yes, obviously you can install GNU/Linux on it as long as your distro has a PPC port. If your distro doesn't have a PPC port it wasn't going to work on Talos either.

Other urls found in this thread:

raptorengineering.com/TALOS/op_twbx86.php
ibm
acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/sam-motherboards/95-sam460ex.html
anandtech.com/show/3843/apple-mac-mini-review-mid-2010/8
powerpcliberation.blogspot.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"You don't have to sell your family"
>2400+ €

Why did you pick the most expensive Talos option to compare it with? You can get a much cheaper Talos, and it has much better specs than the Amigaone at any tier. The desktop edition is less than half as expensive as the workstation edition.

You know what else already exists? The Phenom II desktop I built 6 years ago for a quarter of this price with twice the specs.

The cheapest option, the one that's just a motherboard, is still over double the price.

That just makes it even dumber to show the workstation option.

Can this meme die, please?

What's the big deal about PowerPC anyway?

It's the only architecture that's even remotely competitive with x86_64 on performance (the TALOS board is about equivalent to a Haswell) until ARM64 catches up, and it doesn't have Intel or AMD backdoor ``management engine'' devices. It's also got really solid Linux and BSD support.

Does this or the Talos have UEFI? That's pretty much a dealbreaker for me unless someone can tell me how allowing someone in privilieged userland to run code at ring -2 with no way to disable the functionality is actually a good thing and not a massive and completely unnecessary attack surface.

Probably not, I think UEFI is specific to the x64 architecture.

t. MSDN reading plebeian

No, "why would you want to pick the least relevant full version when the cheapest full version is still far more expensive". If the bare motherboard is still much more expensive than the Amiga that implies that the least expensive full version is still very expensive compared to the Amiga, but also representative, which makes picking the most expensive full version a dumb move.

So what about dedicated graphics? What if I wanted to run something from x86? You'd have to run it through QEMU or something I'd assume, and it probably wouldn't have very good performance.

This and Talos both have proper PCIe GPUs you fucking Holla Forumsermin.

Talos has Coreboot and probably an OpenFirmware (traditional POWER/SPARC firmware) implementation on top of that.

UEFI isn't specific to x86. UEFI + PCIe is part of the hardware standard for ARM64 servers.

Thread hidden. Try not using memeslinging and buzzwords next time while trying to fit in, redditfag.

Performance-wise
libre-wise

Here is a presentation by one of the Talos guys
raptorengineering.com/TALOS/op_twbx86.php

Power8 blows the fuck out of x86 in all respects except available codebase.

Not for the Talos, with Power8 the booting and hardware initialisation is handled by the microcode stored on the CPU. Not sure about the Amiga since thats PPC.

Post hidden. Try not using memeslinging and buzzwords next time while trying to fit in, new friend.

Again, PowerPC and POWER8 are not the same thing. That's like conflating Java and Javascript.

PowerPC and POWER8 are both implemetations of the Power architecture you double nigger.

All these people in the thread not realising that the board could contain a hidden chip to spy on you, and the only way to find it is to xray the board.

Dumb goys

Same OpenFirmware as the old Macs? I hope the OpenFirmware doesn't mandate support for the same "features" as UEFI. While I think old hardware is comfy, it would be nice if digging out old hardware isn't always necessary. I'll have to read more about it tomorrow.

Do you even know what microcode is?

Not happening because going to that extent to hide something like that will just result in the company going bankrupt from the fallout when it does get found because someone wants an xray picture of a motherboard on their wall.

I do, I was being retarded over what UEFI exactly is.

Point is though that being able to run whatever microcode you want (because the Power8 CPU doesn't check for signed microcode) means you don't have to use UEFI.

PowerPC and POWER share a common ancestor years and years ago. How much of the ISAs are still the same? 10 percent?

How does powerpc compare with risc-v?

i want to pick up an assembly language. i don't want to go with x86 - i want something interesting, something that can provide good performance for numerical / scientific computing, something future-looking, something not pozzed.

The AmigaOne case looks neat at least. If you removed the graphics card and SSD to make it cheaper to buy, and stuck in a used hard drive and graphics card, it would make an alright workstation. The price is still quite a lot though.

RISC-V and Power are targeted at different markets

RISC-V is a competitor to ARM, designed for power efficiency and small dies, also its still very far behind in terms of development. I wouldn't even consider it for another few years when processors may become available.

Power is what you go with when a Xeon just isnt enough, they are designed for massive compute power and I/O bandwidth

NES
Power
ARM or Power
ARM is Xhao and Chang central from what I understand because of all the Asian companies which license ARM cores, IBM as a company is still kind of stuck in the 80s so that's your best bet

thanks fam.

found this to get started with power:
ibm .com/developerworks/library/l-powasm1/

good introduction.

Performance-wise, how does it compare to pic related?

you can run amiga os on a g5 powermac :^)
powerpc osx sucks cock tho
it was cool when it first came out but its unusable today vs newer (lion+) osx that you can actually run shit on.
macos9 was the best os ever made but you need older hardware to run that

*morph os sorry (its the same fucking thing)

Obviously old OSX is dead and crap, but I'm talking about linux ppc and other OSes. More curious about relative speed. Since the PowerMac G5 was the last high-performance mainstream PPC workstation I can think of.

X5000 only came out just a couple years ago. PPC mac was like over a decade ago. I imagine it performs much better, though of course if all you're looking for is an alternative to x86 you may as well go for an old mac.

A lot more FLOPS for a lot fewer watts. The dual G5s were monstrous.

The real question with the Talos is "does it have the staying power?" Of course they have an initial product, but what about long term support and iterations? The Italian Amiga company sortof has good support, but it feels way too much like a dead product.

That's the lower end model, the motherboard is available by itself for only €539 with the SoC included.
acube-systemsbiz.serversicuro.it/shop/en/sam-motherboards/95-sam460ex.html

One day, I want to see a small business with a ton of the amigas running as thin clients to the talos mainframe

The talos is explicitly designed as a workstation board, and as such doesn't include any remote-management stuff. You'd want IBM POWER8 rackmount gear for a server.

So they're chargng you 10x what you could buy a PowerMac G5 for, and giving you an even shittier case?

OPs pic is PowerPC you retard, not POWER

Worse because it is a dual core SoC versus a dual cpu dual core. The G5 had a 25% higher clock and twice as much L2 cache.

It only works out cheaper if you have a free infinite supply of 1kW around.

Is there any good reason to actually get something like this? This stuff seems like its used for specific things but considering how expensive they are yet don't seem that powerful, i wonder whats the point?
Also, why on earth are they so expensive to begin with?
I do love the idea of a non-pozzed PC without Intel/AMD botnet but seriously, is that it?

A dual cpu 2.5Ghz G5 uses 260 watts under load; less than my dual E5-2660v2 workstation idles at.

anandtech.com/show/3843/apple-mac-mini-review-mid-2010/8

How is PowerPC in terms of software support? if I install memebuntu or whatever distro on pic related, will the majority of software work? especially stuff like modern browsers, multimedia players, etc. I don't expect games or niche shit to work

Not many distros support PPC. It's been a while since I've checked, but I know Gentoo does, and I think Arch and Debian do, but none of their forks, and certainly not Ubuntu.
As far as programs, as long as you have the minimum required software libraries for the necessary programming languages on there, then you should be fine.

Ubuntu supports it, just not with Unity on non-LTS releases. It's a community build. Not that anybody here would recommend Ubuntu. You can also get Fedora, in addition to Debian. Arch is not supported. I am surprised this isn't a more popular thing around here, old macs are relatively powerful for being non-x86, and fairly affordable as well.

It's several years to a decade behind the times because of a lack of developers and users.

Which is fine when you consider what you'll be doing with an old PPC system. There are still a few communities devoted to it

powerpcliberation.blogspot.com/

You can buy an x61 or t61 thinkpad at a little more than half the price of a G4 powerbook, it using a 2.5" IDE drive instead of SATA is enough to be a deal breaker for most people. As for towers I've found decent i5s from 2011 in the trash, old mac PPCs can't compete.

If it's free software, it's typically just a matter of copying the source code to a computer of the architecture of your choice and compiling it with gcc, and usually that's already done for you if you're using a distro with a release for your architecture. Your qt memebrowser with vim keybindings will be just fine.