Linuxfags say Windows is bloated

Also lets compare kernel size
EDIT: typos

Other urls found in this thread:

news.softpedia.com/news/RAMorexic-Windows-8-Runs-on-64MB-of-Memory-226418.shtml
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS

~ $ ll -L /boot/vmlinuz-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4235760 Dec 17 04:42 /boot/vmlinuz
My kernel has a GPU driver compiled in, faggot. How fat is yours?

Yes, why reserve RAM for usermode programs when the kernel can eat it all up?
Also, the Windows kernel image also has GPU drivers for numerous VGA and HDMI controllers.

And Linux makes everything run at 40% of its potential.

How big is that uncompressed though? (how big is vmlinux itself?)

wtf I love Windows now.

Optimized VMC makes it much more desirable and less of a performance impact vs using more memory

Am I misreading that image? I thought "2.8GB" was the sum of all kernel+userspace, is that just what the NT kernel demands on its own? Holy shit.

OP here
no, the 2.8GBs is everything

Install Gentoo. No, literally; the Linux image can be much lighter when not configured with genkernel.

I think it says 40 MB is compressed, or 40 MB is saved by compression or something. If that was the actual memory it used thanks to compression it would have more than 8.9 GB left.

A full desktop environment with bloatware takes around 500 MB - 1 GB on my Linux systems in my experience. A simple tiling window manager just after booting around 100 MB.

Windows has some "hybrid kernel" thing going on, so comparing ntoskrnl.exe's size to vmlinuz's size might not be meaningful. It pushes a bunch of things into userspace that Linux doesn't.

You are a fucking retard

What the fuck are you talking about with Windows using like 40mb of ram? Go run Windows 10 on a machine with 512mb of ram then, retard.

Hello samefag
The Hybrid kernel is bullshit, this debate is as old as time itself (see the Tanenbaum-Torvalds debate) Linux is just as much a "hybrid kernel" as Windows is. Unless you want to believe the entire rootfs is also contained within vmlinuz, fucking idiot.
Also some memory is naturally reserved by the OS

Fuck off shill.

all me

You are a fucking retard

Wrong, dipshit. Fuck off back to your shitty wangblows botnet.

That is how much data is compressed you retard

Still smaller than the Realtek windows audio driver.

USE SAGE NEXT TIME, PAJEET CURRY NIGGER!

Please stop with the irony my sides have already left me.

Font? I'm jizzing my pants.

Probably helvetica or a derivative, it's pretty close to liberation sans

Wow so Windows 10 uses less resources than LXDE?

I find that rather difficult to believe OP.

yeah try running windows 10 with 64 mb of ram and see what happens

modern linux kernel and userspace would probably need quite a lot of trimming nowadays but it's perfectly doable

What the fuck am I reading. You can't compress 3GB to 40MB unless the memory you mention is repetitive as fuck. You can't run a desktop composition engine, bunch of services in the background and programs within 40MB. I get 40MB on Arch Linux with i3 (not a DE) with no programs running. You are full of shit.

Back this up, faggot.

Unlike Windows you can choose to not have both. You can install Gentoo Linux with linux-libre, openrc and TinyWM and get rid of "bloatware".

When the fuck did this board start to like Windows?

it's a b8 thread m80

This is why Holla Forums needs ID's, this is blatant half cuck posting.

Holla Forums has more low-effort shitposts than most of the top boards by far. This type of post isn't the only example.

this whole website is full of shitposters with the exception of Holla Forums, which actually has a coherent raison d'ĂȘtre

nvm, windows is still proprietary faggot

Go back to reddit if you can't handle anonymous discussion, faggot.

this is some tasty bait

i have two tabs of firefox open and that's it

news.softpedia.com/news/RAMorexic-Windows-8-Runs-on-64MB-of-Memory-226418.shtml

Apparently win8 can actually boot (in a vm). Can't do much else, but it manages to stay alive somehow. Win8-tan struggling in a girdle should have been a meme.

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.3M Dec 25 10:17 vmlinuz-4.8.11-RitchieStartup finished in 4.586s (kernel) + 3.195s (userspace) = 7.782sMemAvailable: 245848 kBMemFree: 172572 kBProcess count: 203

Oh and fyi, I have 4 firefox tabs open (one with a youtube video), Telegram and Steam running under WINE with a game running.

That explains why its so shit then.

redditfag detected. fuck off back to r/4chan.

source: was cancerous redditfag once

The real comparison here should be whether or not kernel modules in a monolithic kernel vs compiling everything in is a good idea.

Keep in mind that the Windows kernel also includes stuff Linux delegates to userspace/ring3 (e.g. Freetype)

Noice.

Current year's almost over.
When you use rendering/multimedia programs not even 16GB is sufficient. But, wait, you haven't done any of that, because you're a basement dweller.
If you still believe this you need to get the fuck out.

Thats not a real comparison at all, thats a dubious comparison because the Windows Kernel design is not 1:1 to Linux' kernel design. The OPs comparison makes a lot more sense because ntoskrnl.exe is the Windows kernel analog to vmlinuz

50 million LOC, right? Then let's see the repository that proves it.

They can't provide it? Then too bad, the statistic is useless.

Yes, because why make efficient software when you can just throw hardware at it to make it go faster!

You people make me sick, you're the reason for the cancer of waste in computing. Inefficiency adds up.

Programmer time is far more expensive than computer time. Generally speaking, it's more cost effective to direct the programmers to deliver solutions that are easy to maintain rather than direct them to perform "premature optimization" as they write their solution. If you want your software to cost more and take longer to deliver, then please pay your programmers the cost of making this happen.

Why should you get paid more? Do your job right the first time. Problem here is special snowflake "I built my own computer like ahmed built a clock!" programmers who think they know how to code just because grandma calls them when she can't log in to yahoo. Just because you can fire up some bloated IDE and shit out some multi-megabyte hello world does not make you a genius. It makes you baby-tier. Now go get gud.

"Doing your job right the first time" means taking a longer time to do the job. Programmer time is far more expensive than computer time. Prove me wrong.

Programmer time is often more expensive than computer time, far more often than the "use C for everything" shitposters claim, but not always. If you're writing a kernel or a programming language or heavy-duty data processing software or whatever then computer time gets pretty expensive. You shouldn't make it a general claim.

A program is written more or less one time. It is run more than one time.
Checkmate.

Wrong, a program is written once and run tens of billions of times.
There's your problem.
It's always about the bottom line.

BLOATFAGS GET OUT REEEEEEEE

why does he look like a bad photoshop in every picture

Because his hairstyle doesn't match his beardstyle.

On the topic of memory management, has anyone actually tried changing the memory settings for gentoo?
I took a brief look through the options but didn't have the time to experiment with it to see if it made anything more efficient.

What the fuck do you bloat your kernel with?

as if /pol isnt one of the biggest shitposters around.

step it up

I'm using chrome 4 tabs/ 3 videos, and steam

why use bloatware?

Good god there is a lot of shitposting ITT

yeah I'm sure that doesn't eat up a whole lot more CPU cycles than needed.
Jesus H Christ that is some damn good compression.
What distro? What compression? What modules are compiled in? Do you even know you mongoloid?
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11M Dec 30 14:49 initramfs-linux-lts.img-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4.3M Dec 15 13:11 vmlinuz-linux-lts
using xz compression with the stock lts kernel from the repos btw

You step it up, motherfucker.
free -h total used free shared buff/cache availableMem: 5.6G 4.4G 124M 764M 1.1G 283MSwap: 8.0G 5.6G 2.4G
Inox (chromium - google sync/phone home shit), 125 tabs across 5 windows.
also nice dubs yo

Windows sucks in almost every way imaginable. Case closed. Shill thread saged.