Cyanogen shutting down services and OS by December 31

zdnet.com/article/cyanogen-shutting-down-services-and-os-by-december-31/

Other urls found in this thread:

xda-developers.com/the-death-of-cyangenmod-and-whats-in-store-for-the-future/
universityherald.com/articles/56681/20161223/andromeda-os-news-point-merging-chrome-android-both-successful-google.htm
androidauthority.com/android-chrome-os-merge-hiroshi-lockheimer-735658/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

So they're shutting down "Cyanogen OS", but nothing changes for the ROMs, ie CyanogenMod? That's pretty clickbaity.

Very clickbaity. What a pointless story

The tech lügenpresse strikes again

So what's happening? Is it CyanogenOS only or are they shutting down Cyanogenmod nightlies as well?

From what I have read it means Cyanogen is not going to be spending any more funds toward Cyanogen Mod. No more nightly updates after 12/31/16.

Some of the leaders got pissed and left for various reasons. LineageOS looks to be their next project and the continuation of Cyanogen Mod.

Better article

xda-developers.com/the-death-of-cyangenmod-and-whats-in-store-for-the-future/

Okay then.
Well fuck. I don't even have a smartphone but this really bothers me. Does anyone know how much Cyanogen Inc. contributed to the project vs the community developers? Next year isn't going to be a good year between this and Google replacing Android and Chrome OS with their unified Andromeda OS that pretty much guarantees companies will start pushing phone docks so you can use your phone as a laptop/desktop.

Project hosting and not much else. Most of it's already been uploaded to github.
They go full Gnome on bug reporters too so nothing of value is lost in ditching their tracker: they prioritize looking for excuses to wontfix your shit over all else. You're not allowed to file a bug if they broke something between major/minor versions, or if you're not running bleeding edge nightlies.

Merry fucking Christmas to me. That's what I get for not dumping a few hundred into the new hip meme phone. Guess it's either wading through cryptic documentation to compile my own shit, or relying on pajeet releases of Ultra Speedy XXX ROM again.

The new LineageOS fork team is hoping to continue support of every device that currently has a CyanogenMod 14.1 build available. If not you can still try Paranoid Android. Hopefully LineageOS can continue support for a wide variety of phones as it would be a massive loss for the community if they can't (the latest version of CyanogenMod supports more than twice as many devices as Paranoid Android has supported over its entire lifetime).

I'm not twelve, the fuck is Cyanogen

What's this shit about?

That's the operative word. I'm expecting the worst, though. I only wish it were easier to understand compiling AOSP for specific devices, since that'd be the absolute best option.

if you bought a nexus you should be good

What did it too again outside of coming jailbroken by default?

It's easier to install than other Android distros and is basically AOSP with some extras. Just not being the stock option is enough to be good for a lot of phones.

Especially Samsung phones, because Samsung, for some reason, refuses to stop believing that anybody likes TouchJizz.

Well, fuck. I hope to god that LineageOS supports i9300. Is there any other custom ROM that supports i9300 and has Nougat?

Forgot pic

Shit. My crappy Asus z00a only has 13. Guess I'll be checking nightly for new nightlies.

I hope they don't drop i9100 support, this phone still works well enought to justify buying a more recent smartphone even if it's just some 80 bux chink piece of shit

Pretty much says it all in the post. Google is going to go from having one OS for phones/tablets and another for laptops to a single unified OS. It would be inevitable for laptop/desktop docks to be offered as higher end phones are capable enough to accomplish the tasks that most people use desktops/laptops for sans gaming (inb4 someone claims compiling code, CAD, or other tasks that benefit from higher end computers are common) and they would offer a cheap, easy to maintain and replace way of having a laptop/desktop since it would piggy back off an existing device that people carry everywhere. Andromeda supposedly will push cloud based storage and services like Chrome OS as well.

IT'S HAPPENING, MERRY FUCKING CHRISTMAS

Hows it feel being completely fucking wrong?

universityherald.com/articles/56681/20161223/andromeda-os-news-point-merging-chrome-android-both-successful-google.htm

happening tards, not even once.

androidauthority.com/android-chrome-os-merge-hiroshi-lockheimer-735658/
The features being complained about are still a possibility and I can see them being marketable to a large portion of the public.

That doesn't make you any less wrong, happening faggot.

I hope your dick get pushed in.

Wat. What I described is inevitable (even in a Stallmanite future where it comes as free as in freedom UMPCs that substitute local storage for cloud storage, in which case it wouldn't be a bad thing), the only question is when it will happen and who will try to control it. Just because tech news sites wrongly claimed Google would start pushing it next year with a unified phone/tablet/laptop OS doesn't mean the inevitable won't happen.

Leave the news sites out of this. You wrongly claimed Google would push a unified OS next year because you an alarmist faggot. Now you are trying to back pedal.

I'm really disappointed in the android ecosystem.
I certainly like CM, I like going without gapps, especially for battery life, but I'd like shit to be signed and a little more focused on security.
Now, I know why they can't do that in many cases with the clusterfuck that is unlocking and getting shit to run on OEM phones, but still.
On the other side, I've wanted to buy a Nexus or Pixel or whatever and use CopperheadOS, but as far as I can tell you have to build it yourself if you want superuser.
And, again, I understand why they do that.
Superuser blows up the android security model, not even getting into the terrible track record of Android superuser security bypass vulns.
As far as I know they don't include a firewall or an interface to Android App Ops. I could get by without superuser with a firewall to pick/choose which traffic can go over wireless/wireless lan/data connection and an interface to Android App Ops, but as far as I know Copperhead isn't that far along.
It's a really sad state.

What I was planning on doing was dual booting vanilla Android with Replicant. Use Replicant most of the time and switch to Android when I need to use something that requires Gapps. But apparently dual booting is very messy and I don't really have the patience for it right now.

F

I have a One Plus One.

Do I need to change the OS? And since I'm a total retard at it, what is best alternative?

should i switch to paranoid android, or is it finally time i ditched my shitty, ass old nexus 5?

Lot of the devs jumped ship to: lineageos.org

Looks kinda like another Openoffice to Libreoffice thing.

I don't get how normalfags can put up with gapps at all. Their phones don't even last a whole day before needing a recharge, and meanwhile mine lasts a fucking week. It's fucking shameful how power hungry that crap is.

isn't CM supposed to be open source? Just fork it yourself and add in whatever you want.

But I'm a lazy fuck who's entitled to have someone build nightlies for.