Pajeets at TechRepublic Predict Shit Year For Linux 2017

techrepublic.com/article/open-source-predictions-for-2017/

android wins
/r/linux shitheads that want digital restrictions management for netflix win
Satya Nadella takes microsoft back to its 80's hobbyist roots with new "EMBRACE, EXTEND, PARASITIZE" strategy
more dumb normies flock to /r/linux
jewgle wins
laptops start shipping with immovable google firmware and no functional fully free stack
romanians and chinks chase /r/linux street shitters to nick their credit cards

I think we need to actively increase hostilities both within /r/linux, and on our imageboards towards /r/linux in the hope we might be able to keep our glorious republic free of retards that would give up 80% of the freedoms for a mere 5% of the market.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-CAcjNQDwPo
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish
gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2016-12-18-releases.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So in other words you'll never be satisfied

Souce on Salty Nutella and open soresing windows

I think most people envisioned microsoft imploding, not pivoting to a position where they task their dead weight, too big to fail, government subsidised, shitcoders to overwhelm the linux community with awful bloat and terrifying design decisions.

seen that screenie of the fmr MS coder talking about the workflow to add a dropdown in control panel?

unfortunately they're pajeets so they're predicting that microdick will move to shared source, but they already do share source with buisiness partners, which is how their code leaked and will continue to.

I know the windows souce code is available in academia and the government has some copies laying around. But making it open source doesn't make sense for MS. Firstly because they've been practically giving windows away for free. Secondly half the world already pirates windows. Thirdly no freetard will have enough dedication to go through 10 years of layered legacy code. Not even Chinese hackers I bet. Maybe an autistic Russian, but I doubt it.

you mean the one that is completely unsourced? Why yes, you retards do keep shoving your arguments by assertions in every single thread that mentions Windows.

because:
a) it's fairly well corroborated
b) reading the reactOS and Wine mailing lists and VCS logs suggests it's completely accurate
c) we like to hurt feelings

If they do end up open sourcing Windows how would that help the ReactOS guys? If they use a restrictive license can they sue ReactOS for potentially copying their released source? If they release it with a permissive license will the ReactOS guys be able to use it instead of reverse engineering everything themselves?

Its also wrong because Windows 10 uses the same control panel as Windows 7-8.1 uses. What you're most likely referring to is the Settings "app" which is very rudimentary and is probably just made to compliment Tablet Mode

no, I believe the opposite is true for the same reason you offer: they didn't change the control panel because they can't, because they ignored Uncle Bob and increased rigidity.

My guess is that the ReactOS team won't directly use the Windows source code. Instead, they'd learn all kinds of different lessons about how things are achieved in Windows and then take those lessons (and not the source code) back into ReactOS.

They'd likely use (iirc) black box design. You have one team rip apart a competitor's product, find out all the neat little details about how it works, reduce it down to a set of task and product specifications. They then pass this set of specs off to another team who then implement it. The team that develops the final product never saw the original and the company (or project team in this case) is safe from legal issues.

What happens if they develop the exact same code according to the specs? Are they still safe?

You have no idea how much time and motivation some people have.

If it's that restrictive it's not open source.

in the emulation scene they have one group write software and demos for the target architecture and the other side attempt to disassemble and debug the problems like a normal rom/iso.

for example this

youtube.com/watch?v=-CAcjNQDwPo

broke every gbc emulator by using some weird pointer trick while changing the mode mid line.

if you want a project small enough to have no politics and that would bring a wide range of decent quality production software to linux then check out the darling project.

was that thread about using fan whine for data exfil on 8tech? I don't care how many nukes iran supposedly has that's serious fucking autism tbh.

sorry I crossboard alot.

some jews in israel came up with a method for extracting data from an airgapped machine that involves using malware to modulate fan speed, 900bits an hour.

now that I think about it, can't have been 8tech: we don't have fucking pdf embed do we?

I'm not sure, I never tried posting PDFs here.

I have read about the possibility of tapping computer input by aiming a radio antenna to a computer's keyboard which leaks what keys are typed into the computer, thus revealing private information. I never heard about the fan speed thing though, maybe something to look into.

found the post.

https:// endchan.xyz/tech/preview/6590.html

really honestly if you behave like your computer is secure and trustworthy you've already fucked up. just hide behind 255 layers of irony gallows humor.

I like the idea, but there are some big hurdles to overcome. First of all, any airgapped computer will have to be physically secured as well. Airgapping a computer and letting everyone use that machine makes it less secure.

Don't trust computers of which you aren't the sole user. You don't know what kind of agenda people have.

Anybody who has physical access to your machine means you've already lost. In this case, the attacker needs to install malware, your computer has to be in operation and then they have to get into the presence of the machine in order to record the activity. This is no different to installing a screen/keyboard recorder without your knowledge. You can secure your system by preventing the malware being installed in the first place.

It would end up in one of two situations: The accusing party would have to prove that it was straight out copied. The defending party could probably disprove it with commit logs easily enough.

The other (more likely, since it'd be a civil suit with a lower standard of evidence) would be the defending party has to prove it didn't copy the work. The work logs (reverse engineering worklogs, specification revisions, final program commit logs, etc) would probably be enough to disprove it.

The chances of it being the exact same code is incredibly small though. Really all it needs is the same inputs, same outputs, and same side effects, and there's an infinite number of programs that can do that.

Edge cases always make algorithms annoying to reverse engineer. Check out Dolphin's problems getting Factor5's games to work properly. Always some weird trick of the hardware that F5 exploited that wasn't emulated correctly.

That's good to know. Thanks man.

Sorry, it wasn't black box design, it was clean room reverse-engineering. Black box design is looking only at the inputs and outputs and then designing a solution that does that without you ever looking at the inside of the original.

A good example of this sort of stuff is emulators, and ReactOS. Both of which would be watched by the relevant company's legal teams. ReactOS has had a number of attempts to add code from the Windows Research Kernel (WRK), all of which have been rejected because it would be against the license that the WRK was released under. Even the attempt to give the WRK to the developers is rejected because it could be used as evidence against them. This is also one of the reasons a number of people are suspicious about CEMU, the Wii U emulator that's become quite good incredibly fast. It's closed source however, and so nobody except the developers know if there's anything from internal or private Nintendo documentation/source files in there.

Hah, I wish.

because that's a bad thing ?
canonical was never trust worthy.

pic related

Open source used has a trojan horse ?
nothing new
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace,_extend_and_extinguish

this

install replicant

who buys that shit ?

The hurd 0.9 was just released.
time to jump the wagon
gnu.org/software/hurd/news/2016-12-18-releases.html

That's because opensource isn't the solution.
Like said before if you don't understand what open source is really about you can't grasp the problems brings.
Unfortunately RMS was right again.

Open source is mostly used has a Trojan horse. The problem with permissive license always remains.

For example Tivoization.
Only GPLv3 protects you from this shit.

Reminder that Tivoization is just a legal hardware restriction:
-You can read/modify the software (freedom 1)
-You can share the software (freedom2)
-You can share modified versions of the software (freedom3)
-But you can't execute modified version of the software (freedom 0)

Because of signed hardware.

This legal trick is what is fucking up the freedom of the community that's why standard androids phone are shit.

If the linux kernel was under gplv3 google/samsung and others would have to comply or it wouldn't have been used and android would use their own kernel thus making it shit.

This

From the small info that was gathered through the years I can suggest that the Microsoft windows operating system is the biggest clusterfuck alive.
Does somebody have the cap of the old irc discussion of the old MS employer please.

It's not like there was much competition anyways. Also, at least we're seeing a resurgence in UMPCs with the GPD WIN, the Pyra, and a couple other Chinese offerings for people who want a more full featured OS which to my knowledge was the main appeal of Ubuntu Phone.

The free software movement will not just roll over and die. Distros that don't package blobs will continue to do so. Only thing this will bring is a possible acceleration of everything mainstream getting locked behind DRM (which has been the end game for a long time anyways, the only question has been when it will happen).

Microsoft isn't going to open source Windows. An open source Windows would be a major improvement over the current situation as it would allow people to go through and clean out the datamining features and turn it into what people actually want with Microsoft having less control. Microsoft would never allow that to happen.

Isn't Linux market share already above 5% when Android is included?

From the article:
An increase from 85% to 90% when the other mainstream options (iOS) are worse is meaningless.

You do know that the newest machines capable of running Libreboot are Chromebooks, don't you? My main worry would be that this could lead to laptop and desktop phone docks becoming popular in place of dedicated laptops and desktops. Which will result in more people getting used to having less features and a more phone like cloud based experience with laptops and desktops, bringing everything closer to cloud terminals being used for all mainstream uses for computers

There's no point in being popular if you sacrifice what you stand for and embrace the botnet.

Source-available? Maybe. Open-source (or rather preferably, libre)? Considering their track record, they'll never do it. And if they do, they're gonna tack on some botnet shit on top to make sure you keep taking their dick up your ass.

See 2 points above