Have any Holla Forums users even read 1984, Brave New World, or the likes?

Have any Holla Forums users even read 1984, Brave New World, or the likes?

I think a group of "politically aware" people would have enough skepticism to think twice before putting a business man (a good one who knows how to do business) into the head of the government. This may be the beginning of the words first corporatocracy similar to what we have imagined in books.

this is Holla Forums

1984 has become a fucking Instruction Manual!

Forgive me for wanting to question reality and not blindly following a left-right paradigm.

?

Shut up.

The US has been a corporatocracy for decades

This.

It's on the recommended Holla Forums reading list along with Fahrenheit 451, Player Piano, Harrison Bergeron, We, The New Utopia, etc.

You can find a lot of it here >>>/pdfs/

OP, get to know some Holla Forums users personally. It'll answer a lot of the questions have.

the system's name is Plutocratic Oligarchy.

I'm not a Holla Forumslack but I have read 1984. It was a good book up until they got to the guy's manifesto where the entire tone of the story changed and I swear it felt like 30 or 40 pages of mind numbing economics or what have you.

I never did.

Brave new world was a utopian society. The main character was an edgy autist who wanted to challenge the status quo so he could… live with gas huffers and savages?

hey, rabbi, whatcha doin?

benis benis benis
bagina bagina bagina
lol what r u casul
git gud faget
danald tramp iz teh god empuhruh lol
fresh dank memez white powah
froggies with smug face haha
r we kewl kidz yet

The citizens were drugged to constantly feel euphoria with no side effects. No one cared about the caste system due to the euphoria.

How is it not a utopia If every citizen is in a constant state of supreme bliss doing exactly what society requires of them? No one wants for anything.

I read both of them in middle school. The 7th grade math teacher had a bookshelf in her classroom. I have no idea why, but 'Brave New World' was one of the books. I checked 1984 out of the library after reading that one.

Honestly, I don't know exactly what either of them has to do with a 'corporatocracy'. Brave New World was about a society that deliberately dumbed people down(before birth, even) and gave people meaningless entertainment ('bumblepuppy') and drugs ('soma'), and others('everyone belongs to everyone else'), to keep them placated and docile.

Anyone who doesn't agree with this 'society'(i.e people who we would consider normal) are called 'savages' and live on reservations.

1984 takes place in a police state, which encourages everyone to 'love' Big Brother above all else(even parents, who children are encouraged to snitch on if they show any disloyalty to the Party.(much like the USSR.))
They also 'hate' their enemies, (Two Minutes Hate), and have 'always been at war with Eastasia', which is just a system to keep the populace in check. (As soon as they make peace with Eastasia, they go to war with Eurasia, and so on.)

The Party also keeps the populace dumbed down and docile, but by different means(the cinema &etc.) They also have four Ministries which are the exact opposite of what they say they are, most notably the Ministry of 'Truth', which is in charge of censorship and producing
Pro-Big Brother materials.

I really don't see what a 'corporatocracy' has to do with it. Both societies decidedly do not have an emphasis on monetary systems(in 1984, the best things(nice houses, cars, good rations) go to the people in the Inner Party, but money(as far as I can remember) is not mentioned. In Brave New World they have constant production(they throw things away as soon as they get worn out) so money isn't really an issue(or that the book focuses on.)

Neither of the books mentions anything at all to do with 'corporations' as we know them.

In my opinion, we're currently living elements of both books. The dumbing down and emphasis on shallow materialism(at the expense of true meaning(human connections and belief/ spirituality(whatever you want to call it) from Brave New World, and the false narratives being shoved at us from all directions(Ministry of 'Truth'), mainly from the MSM.

When the wealthy aristocrats fund politicians who push for laws that benefit the corporations and further strip away the rights of the people (the TPP, Obamacare, the abolition of Net Neutrality, etc), and when the citizens are generally encouraged to assimilate into society and to stop thinking for themselves, the parallels become apparent. As this user said, people generally draw a comparison to 1984 and oligarchy, which is totalitarian rule by a small minority of powerful people. In America, you could say that there is a plutocracy, which is essentially a small group of self-interested wealthy men who want to spew propaganda and rationalize and disregard legitimate concerns in order to further amass their wealth and influence government for their own benefit.

In 1984, free-thinking dissenters who criticize or oppose the control of the state are subject to torture, until their minds are rendered pliable, so that they can be easily integrated members of society who don't ask questions and who go through their daily routine like mindless robots. That's what happens at the end of the book, when the main character is locked in a room and forced to submit to his greatest fear. Winston has not totally succumbed to mindlessness, but he knows better than to try and encourage people to "think outside the box" and he definitely knows better than to test the power of the state.

In short, both of these books are encouraging the readers to be critical thinkers who don't just blindly accept what the media, or government, or any source of information is shoving down their throats, and to speak out against such tyranny. Oligarchies generally stay in power through state and financial control, and they can use propaganda to influence public opinion. When people say "corporatocracy" they are referring to crony capitalism, which is a term that can be used to describe businesses that rely on nepotism and other types of unfair business practices to try and play the system. A plutocracy is essentially a crony capitalist's wet dream, and the general idea is that these corporate fuckwads want to influence political discourse and lawmaking so that they can transform the state into a tool that works for them.

Do you get it yet?

Drugs incite empty, chemical responses. You would know the difference between happiness and chemically induced euphoria if you had ever been given such drugs. No side-effect free drug exists, regardless, so it's all fairytales.

I agree with 'In short, both of these books are encouraging the readers to be critical thinkers who don't just blindly accept what the media, or government, or any source of information is shoving down their throats, and to speak out against such tyranny.'

I still disagree with the association with 'corporatocracy' and 1984 or Brave New World though, as neither of those are corporatocracies, rather totalitarian societies.

'and the general idea is that these corporate fuckwads want to influence political discourse and lawmaking so that they can transform the state into a tool that works for them.'

'want to'? They aren't now(/haven't already)? The people who are in power now want to stay in power. Some of them are members of 'dynasties' dating back 2-3 centuries. They have already 'transform[ed] the state into a tool that works for them.' All they're doing is trying to keep people in line and keep their own power and influence secure.

I am interested in any books that are 'of the likes', as I am interested in books (especially fiction books, which the post is about) about the subject*.

*"The subject" being either corporatocracies or totalitarian societies. (I'm sorry, I'm burnt out and OPs wording is kind of vague in 'This may be the beginning of the words first corporatocracy similar to what we have imagined in books.', as op had mentioned those books right beforehand. I interpreted it as talking about the books imagining a future 'corporatocracy', rather than a [further] descent into a totalitarian society.)
My knowledge was that those were books about totalitarian societies(general power systems), not focusing on economic systems(money, which is a type of power.)

Funny, I was going to put 'I agree with , it's more of a plutocracy' but left it out because that's not exactly what he wrote. I've actually never heard of the term 'corporatocracy' until this post. It's always been 'plutocracy'. (looking the term 'oligarchy' up, 'plutocratic oligarchy' perfectly describes this.) Where is the term from?

Depends on what America achieves in their plans for world dominance. You keep it clean and tidy but after a while you get lazy and make a mess everywhere. Backups are good. Some people remember it only when HDD crashes. A man of European ancestry puts a paper on a car - it's floaty and I see myself as 16 in a hallway in love with a girl like Allison Reynolds. Teenage rebellion is a myth pushed on parents starting in the 50's, and it's a self-fulfilling prophecy because it preaches that they should never have a strong hand in raising their children. A lot of kids are just doing this kind of thing because they simply don't know any better, not because they're rebelling against their parents. Raise your children with a proper set of morals for them to understand the world with and they won't have to flounder without guidance in their teenage years making a fool of themselves. I might go scouring for free furniture, fix it up and try and flip it on ebay. Dive in and bring back what you find. Reading in bed right before you are about to sleep is also good for remembering (10-20 minutes of reading), but only on Holla Forums? You must take out the funny bone without touching the sides. The male body is more than willing to sacrifice itself for the slightest chance of impregnating some female. It's like these faggots who simply won't understand the legal implications of 19th Amendment prohibition, and want to undermine it's disenfranchised constitionality! The fact the transgendered people that get sex changes exist should imply that bodies do imply gender. Yes, if you get up off your ass, eat more fibre and don't spend 30 minutes on the toilet to take a 30 second dump. I can improve anything about myself that it's changeable, but I cannot change those around me for those that I can't. To impregnate her with my seed, so that my genes will live on after I die - sort of like nature's way of reincarnation. Just don't get too emotional about it, neither don't get too excited or too furious. The logical thing to do would be to give back the medal. So, if you want to be to be truly fulfilled during the short time you exist in this universe, I would recommend you seek to know yourself and who you are, and resolve to undertake a personal journey to that end. And may you find enlightenment along the way.

I haven't read Brave New World, but 1984 clearly describes a very Nationalistic and Authoritarian state. I imagine that Orwell wanted to portray life under Communist rule, but I don't know for sure. So, you're right that the book isn't about a plutocracy, but people will still draw parallels between what happens in the book and what may happen in a plutocratic society. The rich want to maintain their power, and they want an easily accessible, always available, and docile, workforce that they can utilize for their own gain, and direct at their own discretion. In such a society, the rich in power would likely utilize propaganda to promote fickle and mindless entertainment, vapid consumerism, and other types of cultural decay, or even a perpetual state of poverty in order to keep their people complacent, so they won't have to worry about revolution. In addition to this, they would have lobbyists and cherry-picked politicians that would only respond to the whims of their paymasters, which would effectively render meaningless the concerns of citizens. While dissenters may not be imprisoned or tortured, their arguments may be portrayed by mainstream media outlets and partizan sources as "the nonsensical ravings of the village idiot", if they're even entertained by these people in the first place.

So, how the Authoritarian state in 1984 reacts to dissent can be compared and contrasted to how any given type of government responds to dissent, to varying degrees, and both directly and indirectly. Though, I don't think it really matters; I think that the more important point is that the book asks its audience to maintain an air of scrutiny in regards to all government. I'm just pointing out that it's possible to draw parallels between the behavior of the fictional government in these books and the behavior of the government in reality.
Yes, to a certain extent. What I described in the previous wall of text is similar to what is happening in America to some degree.
Not sure, I just know that it's typically used to describe crony capitalism.

What the fuck is going on here

it was probably a better choice to put a businessman in charge rather than a career politician that has shown her inability to serve interests above her own time and time again.

he's not perfect, but he was the obviously superior choice this time around. good to see some new blood in the political arena rather than the old guard shitting up the place like they have over the past couple decades.

FUCK YOU WE CAN SPEAK ABOUT WHATEVER WE WANT YOU GOD DAMN SLANTY EYED PIECE OF SHIT I DON'T NEED YOUR APPROVAL SUCK MY PENIS YOU NIGGER REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

(quads of truth)

IT'S ALL AYN RAND'S FAULT

Sowwy…

To know the future of the world all you have to look at is Dubai.

DRUMPF POSTIN'

is this the right thread?

It's OK. I love you, user. I'll never leave you, baby. Remember those cold nights when we used to cuddle and hold hands for warmth? Remember that? Why can't we go back to being like that? You know you can always confide in me.