Introducing Google Home, Your New Favorite Companion!

youtube.com/watch?v=r0iLfAV0pIg

Have you ever wanted the power to be able to play any song you would with only a few words, now with Google Home, it is now possible! Google Home can do many different things and can even record when you are away to catch possible thieves!

If you want to take it a step further, you can integrate our device into your home to control functions such as lights, doors, and even security systems!

(Psst. don't forget to look at our other newest product, Google Wifi.)
youtube.com/watch?v=z7PPYNs5Xao

That looks an awful lot like that amazon one google

FTFY.

Remember the good old days (of only a few years back) when people were figuratively up in arms over Microsoft's plans to mandate that the Xbox One have the Kinect on and listening and internet-connected, 24/7? Remember the outcry that forced them to cancel that plan?

Now we're just mindlessly accepting it from Apple and Google and Amazon and Microsoft because people are too goddamn lazy to lift a finger to open up their music app or flip a light switch or whatever the fuck else a "smart home" is supposed to accomplish.

Fuck. I feel old.

It's the advertising. Show a kid giggling at Google Home imitating a whale, and everyone will love it.

Yep. This is aimed exclusively at normies. The people complaining about the Xbox were a little bit smarter on average than Google's target audience here.

Don't Android and iOS smartphones both listen to you already 24/7 for the "OK Google" and "Hey Siri" features? This is just icing on the cake.

It reminds me of one of these

The Amazon Echo Dot bothers me more, mainly because it's less than 1/3 the price. They're currently selling on Amazon for $40 each, at that price you know idiots are going to buy one (or a few).

why get one when pic related is hitting the market soon?

Because I actually have a life

I don't know about IOS, but Android has settings to disable the "OK google" thing.

I was curious if those settings actually did anything or if they were just a feel-good thing and it was still listening. So I loaded up some monitoring processes on the debian box I use as a firewall while I said "OK google" to two different Android Marshmallow devices, as clearly as possible in a quiet room, several dozen times each. There was no traffic going to google domains. I think the setting to disable it is actually honoured.

For now, anyway. I don't know about Nougat.

iOS has that setting as well, i should check that someday. Think it would be possible to reliably monitor that with a Packet sniffer as well? I don't have a dedicated firewall

im tired of these ugly and useless fucking shits from these companies.

God I'm getting old. There was a time (late 90s, very early 2000s) where all the new gadgets excited me.

Then between 03 and 07 all the normies and normie accessories flooded tech. Pentium 4, Windows XP, silver painted plastic and blue LEDs. Digital GRID.

We then had a brief period where some of this Normie tech actually started to become genuinely cool again (GOOD crackberries, iPhone 4S, quad cores, Philips Hue) and of course a second wave of normie tier trash is getting unleaded once again.

It was about time home automation became decent, but all the nerds like me expected it to be a closed loop living inside your network, not phoning home constantly and getting bricked of the company goes belly up and kills its servers.

Google and post-XP Microsoft made tech gay. Apple brought in tons of normies.

Eternal September... But even worse somehow. Imagine if tech had stayed under the Normie radar for just a few more years. Just imagine how cool shit would be

Tell me how tough your life is, millenial

This is exactly what I need! Just the other day I was sitting on my couch and it was getting dark outside, so I had to turn on the light in my room, and that would meant getting up and walking all the way over to the light switch. Gah, can you imagine all the doritos and mountain dew I ended up spilling all over the floor? And now all that is smelling up the place and my mom isn't coming over until the next week. All because of that fucking light switch. Come on, it's the current year, I shouldn't have to get up just to turn on the fucking light, it's like the stone age.

In all seriousness though, I can see that being useful for old or disabled people, but that doesn't require the botnet. The clapper worked just fine on its own.

Can you fuck it?

WOULD YOU OR WOULD YOU NOT TAKE A JOB AT GOOGLE, GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY? (EVEN IF IT MEANT BUILDING BOTNET)

IT WILL MEAN BUILDING BOTNET

Fuck yeah. You learn about how everything operates behind the scenes while raking in dosh. Then quit after a few years with priceless knowledge and build a super secure Google proof Libreboot machine.

I am looking forward to them introducing Google Health with Google Watch and mandatory Google Penile Plethysmograph. That way they will be able to serve me even better search results.

wew such angst

Pros
Cons

Definitely I'd use the botnets to troll m00t 24/7 for being a cuckfaggot boipucci

What the fuck do these things even do other than spy?

Is anyone really retarded enough to shell out $99 every 18 months to get the newest model of a non-portable Apple Siri?

Holy shit what a bad idea.

It's a home automation system that also has access to Google music streaming.

wtf does that mean?

So... just like my phone?

Some functions of automated home system:
* centrally controlled systems for light, heating, cooling
* automatic opening and closing of doors
* property security and proximity recording
* home wide music streaming
* monitoring for energy/gas/water consumption
* monitoring for specific information feeds like news, social media, weather and calendar events

These home functions are connected to a central computer system and are also centrally controlled. It can even be connected to the Internet allowing the user to control their home automation with an app from their phone.

You're forgetting about

Why not just arduino + having a home server or someshit?
Oh, right, that actually takes work and TINKERING, something the lazy numale won't do.

It means you should take a hacksaw and start sliding the blade up and down through your pee-hole. How far have you stuck your head up your own ass that you haven't even heard of something that's been talked about for more than a decade, not to mention being unable to put two and two together considering all the IoT shit out today for use in your home and what the word "automation" means?

That's called a thermostat
Grocery stores have had this for decades. Nobody wants this in their home.
Cctv/video recording is nothing new, but now it's easily cracked
Stereo
Just look at the gauge
RSS too hard for you?

Hi Marvin.

Do you believe that I'm advocating for people to install home automation systems? I'm just describing what is a home automation system: the idea is to provide automation to a home through a centrally controlled and integrated control system.

I see multiple hurdles :

There's no escape. Cars are receiving a similar treatment, and I'm fearful of how our information is being used to develop "better" cars, better roads, but leaving these systems completely wide open to malicious attackers.

Because you pretty much have to dedicate your entire life to working for them. It's that demanding. And you'd be helping destroy the world. Fuck that.

You wouldn't learn anything worthwhile. You'd get thrown in a quirky open office and forced to do UI design for Google Buttplug which nobody will remember in a month.

I have no mouth and I must scream

We are starting to approach a time where "think as you like, but act like others" will be the only choice. You will be afraid of your own home. Telescreen style.

Can you foresee a quarter of a century of technological advancements?

I can't. But if I had to bet on the candidate for "greatest threat to privacy" currently identified, I would bet everything on Google.

Hope you have fun with GMAIL, Synchronize everything, GMAIL on phone, synchronize again, integrate contacts with gmail, google calendar, integrate with Youtube, google maps "allow use of GPS", google search, gmail running in the background.

The data they have access to and have gathered is absolutely ridiculous. There is no precedent in human history.

Exactly. Which is why you should do everything in your power to stop them before it gets worse, no matter how small.

In this world of databases and tracking technology, there is not much we without power can do. But there are some things, such as rejecting transhumanism, creating and discarding many identities, and resisting convenience over freedom.

Did you know that Stallman predicted all this in the 1970's? Tell me, do you use Microsoft Windows? Do you a cell phone? Do you use a credit card? What do you think about Stallman's free software philosophy?

Thanks for the promotional ad! Do we get a free brochure too?

that's literally the least of worries. the unprecedented Carte Blanche of tracking you're every data point is rapidly driving us into a reality that even George Orwell couldn't have imagined. Only God can rescue us all from this tbh.

That's true. Only Helios can rescue us from ourselves. What better way to rescue man from an invention is through another invention to replace God.

Yeah, I don't see them marketing that Botnet Home devices for anything but Siri and Google Music streaming though so your "home automation" shit (which nobody wants WiFi in their fridge or TV or washing machine btw) doesn't make sense.

Google and Amazon is seeking something that nobody is buying.

That's an argument from ignorance. Just because you've never encountered such a system doesn't mean that nobody's buying it. I see home automation systems all the time in homes in gated communities and wealthy mansions. Music streaming by itself is not home automation. Music streaming in conjunction with other home automation features is a part of home automation.

Stallman is great.

He's one of the great visionaries of the previous century.

I love this quote :

"Richard Stallman, the founder of the GNU project, has cited the eventual creation of a post-scarcity society as one of his motivations:

In the long run, making programs free is a step toward the post-scarcity world, where nobody will have to work very hard just to make a living. People will be free to devote themselves to activities that are fun, such as programming, after spending the necessary ten hours a week on required tasks such as legislation, family counseling, robot repair and asteroid prospecting. There will be no need to be able to make a living from programming."

The Free Software movement made open-source possible, which both subverted it by commercializing its ideals and stripping them of their philosophy / politics ; but also made its adoption possible at all on a large scale and mainstream accessible.

The Clapper works fine as long as you aren't into spanking.

He was explaining what it meant you fucking autist.

HAhAHHAHAAHHAHA FAGGOT NIGGER KILL YOURSELF BOTNET JEWGLE