Why do some webcomics draw their characters with red noses?

Why do some webcomics draw their characters with red noses?

I don't mind it, I think it's kinda cute, I am just wondering where it's coming from.

Sorry, coudln't find an example right atm.

there's plenty on tumblr

I don't know how to navigate that stupid website

If I understand correctly, you're asking where that design quirk came from?

That's.. a really good question, actually.

You mean like in all those "Roadhog and Junkrat are faggots" comics?

Sometimes I wonder if tumblr actually checks out the bandwagons they jump on.

fuck you, I think red noses are cute

I recall some discussion from /ic/ from a while back that suggested it may have roots pointing to a particular old Russian artist, but I can't remember if it was legit. I don't think there's a concrete answer that goes beyond "internet osmosis".

I think it is "internet osmosis."

I don't think it came from anyone in particular, but a group of "muh style" faggots on tumblr. They probably got praised for how quirky that shit was and it stuck.

Don't get me started on that "Junkrat is actually a delusional woman pretending to be a man" shit.

I wonder what those people would think if they know that a white nationalist like me actually likes it.

you know, I think the third artwork looks kinda nice.
But that stinky hairy nigga ruins it. Not because he is a nigga, but because HE HAS STINKY HAIR PITS!
WHO THE FUCK THINK THOSE ARE CUTE? THEY ARE AWFUL.

Minus.

It would be extremely triggering.

I don't know I guess tumblr? I never understood the appeal to it. They look like they either have a sunburned nose or have a cold.

Or are drunk Asterix characters.

SWEET CHRISTMAS I HATE TUMBLR!

It's Quirky.

COME TO MY ARMS MY BOY!

It might be because of that shit mindset, son.

Roadhog is a fat fag in a knitted-wool pullover.
I never hated tumblr that hard before, but since I saw that on Shit-Enforcement-Kotaku, I snapped.

Well, being a closetfag who doesn't come out made you a nationalist.

The reason why it is popular is because it is an easy (read:fucking lazy) way to simulate the changes in skin tone, and because it helps create the illusion of depth. There are cases where people get red in the nose in real life, and good artists can reflect that appropriately (see ), but lazy and/or inexperienced artists will use red noses constantly for the former reasons.

So blushing for people who suck too hard to draw blushing?

Is it like all loli characters having red knees?

Partially, yes. Humans have a broad range of tones that make up their skin; shadows, shine, and the like. It's not uncommon (and generally considered acceptable) to just color using flats–single tones for different items. Many cartoons and comics do this.
The thing that makes "red nose" so egregious is how prevalent it's become amongst amateurs as a shortcut to creating the illusion of depth.
As for the latter issue, that could be interpreted as symbolism for "kids are rambunctious and active, and thus are prone to skinned knees and the like". However, I would guess that the former reason–quick and easy skin tone variation–is the more likely cause in most cases.

You meme a shit.

I've been perusing it on and off for the last few years, and I don't have the slightest idea either. The way it's structured is a colossal pain in the shitter, even without taking into account the many retarded "themes" that only serve to make the site even more of an unusable fucking eyesore.

Fucking pussies.
Here, an improved version.