Why is the NYC skyline so fucking dull?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area#Combined_Statistical_Areav
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population
youtube.com/watch?v=l4-Rmr4_XhE
youtube.com/watch?v=0UqHz0Jv17I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

HOLY SHIT OP!

I strictly remember New Yorks Skyline having two buildings in the center instead of one taller one

Where the fuck did the two buildings go?!?!

Could this be the result of the Mandela Effect?!?!

CIA and jews.

Because you've seen it to many times stupid. It's too recognizable.

Its because Donald Trump bought all the old buildings in the 70s and "modernized" them so he could re-sell them and receive a massive tax break from the city. Now all the Victorian revival and Art Deco architecture has been turned into boring and clean Post-modernist and Futurist shit

They were just holograms. They never actually existed.

It's like you've never walked down Park ave, or like anywhere uptown. The south side isn't that great to look at but there are still a ton of nice buildings in the places where you would actually want to live.

And its not nearly as lame as the Los Angeles Skyline, but in all fairness Los Angeles is the largest metropolitan area in the United States and its impossible to cover the entire city in a single photo so most "skyline" photos are just downtown, in reality the LA metro area stretches as far South as Irvine and as far north as Lancaster

Same story with Tokyo, especially since Tokyo is the largest city on Earth period. But at least we see a bit more architectural variance in the skyscrapers

You can't really get much more than a downtown in one photo (barring a panorama) for most cities. OPs pick just shows the very south end.
If you do it from the east though you can get a good view of the empire state building and the chrystler building which are probably the two most interesting old skyscrapers on the island.

The major zones of civilization are all consolidating. We are entering in the age of the Megaopolis

What's the second pic? San Fran bay?

Southern California from the ISS taken at a weird angle

I see. I don't know the area- is the ball on the bottom right San Jose or is this more zoomed in?

The ball on the bottom right I think is Laguna Beach. San Jose is farther north, the interior communities you see are part of the Inland Empire communities, the major metro you see is Lancaster, Los Angeles, and Orange County

Ah I see. Greater LA is truly massive.

The LA Metro itself is the largest in the country by land area, by population its the second behind New York, I imagine its because most people here like living in large McMansions in sparse suburbs

the only truly beautiful city is Pyongyang

The LA metro is actually the most populated metro in the country as well as the largest by land area. Only the city proper is the second

"Metro areas" aren't really intuitive to me. I looked at what counts as the NY metro area and it has cities in 4 states.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area#Combined_Statistical_Areav

What are you basing this off of?

Thats probably because all the states over there are much smaller so cities are more easily consolidated. I consider metropolitan areas more important than city propers because city propers end at arbitrary political borders while metropolitan areas essentially cover vast regions of unbroken human development. The limits of the LA metro area are geographical for example, up north by the San Gabriel mountains and High Desert and South by the coastal ranges.

City skylines are plagues, they are like termite nests on a planet.

you think that's dull? clearly you've never seen the Helsinki skyline

and the government thinks this shit is so worthy of protection that it's basically impossible to build taller than six stories in the city, which has led to a ridiculous housing shortage

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_North_American_metropolitan_areas_by_population

because 3 buildings noticed they defied physics and decided to implode.

π™Έπš'𝚜 𝚌𝚞𝚣 𝚘𝚏 πšπš‘πšŠπš &^#$# 'πš™πš’πš£πš£πšŠ' πšπš‘πšŠπš πš™πšŽπš˜πš™πš•πšŽ πšžπš—πšπšŽπš›πš—πšŽπšŠπšπš‘ πšŠπš›πšŽ πšœπšžπšπšπšŽπš›πš’πš—'!

the skyline in the OP quite honestly looks better than this
thank you, bin Laden

Because nobody builds art deco buildings anymore.

What about this?

no because that would be gay as hell, and daddy only fucks pussybois who wear frilly panties

how?

2 oily sweaty men bodies pouncing on each other smothering each other into submission

that's how wrestling works

so you're saying it's wrestling when daddy pounds up and down on my ass with his meatstick? it must be hardcore rules, because there's no referee

but hardcore matches do have referees. like this classic one from 1999:

youtube.com/watch?v=l4-Rmr4_XhE

daddy said he'd be open to have a referee to join us, maybe even a few spectators and comentators. i'll ask him later if he's still okay about the idea

because it's filled with smog?

This here. Post-modernizing all the revival and Deco buildings would probably cost trillions, and might put a dent in the allure of NYC. I'd be good with just a cable hookup, and would get bored of all the flashy lighting, brilliant colors, and straight edges very quickly.

This

Nah m8, I'm not even from New York and that shit blows. Seattle skyline is unbeatable, I've lived here for a good 5 years now and it still gets me every time I end up on or across the water.

L.A. skyline best skyline.

why is everything except the very middle built so low?

seems like a ridiculous waste of space

What a cute skyline.

Because Los Angeles is built in a massive flat basin. There's lots of room to build (the only restriction is the mountains you can see way in the background), and most of it is easy to build on (it's just hardpack rock), so there's no economic reason to build upward in most of the city. It'll just keep expanding outwards until it hits the mountains, then it'll start building upward.

The central urban area is built up because it's "prime" land for business. It's more efficient for all the large commercial entities in a city to be packed together.

The unfortunate end result of this is that the city never ends. The city of LA is like fifty miles long. And because twenty million people live there, it's all packed with traffic. Trust me, I have to drive through there a lot, and it doesn't matter when you go through. Five in the morning, twelve noon, two in the afternoon, nine o'clock at night. Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, Sunday. There's always traffic in LA.

youtube.com/watch?v=0UqHz0Jv17I

It goes back probably 4-5x that distance, from the water it actually slopes up from the space needle and looks really aesthetically pleasing. Plus the old Washington Mutual building is my fucking jam (the one in the middle with the box on top).

Also, smells a hell of a lot better than New York, LA, or San Fransisco (all the other cities I've spent time in).

When you start talking about seattle though it's more like how everyone's mom makes the best tomato soup than "unbeatable" skylines.

The middle east doesn't count cause everywhere around the skyline is a shithole. Tokyo's skyline is pretty legit though, although with the amount of sheer area Tokyo covers it was bound to have at least one good angle. Go up into any one of those buildings and you'll see a different skyline…

I guess you don't travel a lot?

hehe balls

Not to cities. Fuck cities. Every city I've been to has been a shithole. Seattle just happens to have a decent chunk that stays fairly clean and is actually nice to look at.

Is that counting the used heroin needles thrown all over the place or not?>>6935706

they merged into one giant building

well memed user we liked your post