Legend Of Korra Animation Quality

Alright, I've been watching a bit of Book 2 of Korra and I actually think the Pierrot animation don't really as bad as the fanbase makes it out to be. I won't deny it's lacking a lot of detail in some areas (The infamous Iroh scene comes to mind), but I think there are some merits to it. Some scenes actually have a lot more fluidity compared to Mir's work, see vid related and this: sakuga.yshi.org/data/e9430d8b80cd16155ceab08b1a6539ab.mp4

Unfortunately, good animation doesn't make up for shit story, writing, and characters.

I know that. I just wanted to focus strictly on the animation, since a lot of viewers didn't like Pierrot's work on Korra and preferred Mir.

Korra had some shit animation and had the same mistakes as the DCA movies.
Too much detail.
I started Korra just after Avatar and the fact that it went at 20fps even in fight scenes really hit me bad.
Avatar had decent/realistic enough details and went at 24fps.

the animation was one of the only good things about Korra.

There were parts in TLA that weren't perfect 4k Korean animation either.

I haven't seen TLOK but knowing Holla Forums I bet it's better than you guys make out.

infamous Iroh scene?

I'm interested as well

you meant the animation or the show in general.

This scene.

As someone who hasn't seen past the first few episodes, I don't get it.
Is the story so fucked up that not only is Iroh still alive despite all the (much younger) original cast being dead, but is now somehow younger?

Zuko named one of his kids Iroh.

see,
Yes

rope around his waist

The show in general

my memory is foggy, got a webm? Or are you talking about when he was flying around taking down planes? Cause honestly I thought that was alright.

The show I'd argue is a lot of interesting concepts get wasted.

Don't have a webm. Just saying that Iroh, who only appeared in one scene in Book 2, was pretty poorly drawn compared to Book 1, which many people noticed.

The face Korra is making in that picture is prime reaction image material

And he's voiced by Dante Basco. Because fanservice.

One issue I have with these scenes is how at times, you'll just have people standing around doing nothing. Like how the henchman was standing around as korra was kicking his partner's ass from around 3 seconds

Seems all too common in fight scenes with more than two people unfortunately.

Bump. I actually think Book 3 had some well animated scenes, framerate and excessive smears be damned.

The final boss with the shitty CG robot was god awful though

CG anything in Korra is god awful.

That said, I do like how CGI is used for camerawork and cinematography in this show.

yea thats fine, but honestly the final battle felt kind of cheap compared to all the other fight scenes which were beautiful hand drawn fights between people.

Indeed. The animation budget seemed to have gone down hard in Book 4. Loads of scenes with characters just standing around. Even in the case of the earlier books, at least there was some body language and good facial expressions.

It's Zuko's grandson.

It's awesome. Holla Forums is just stupid and has too high expectations without accomplishing anything.

Season 1 also had a great story.
A GREAT STORY, FAGGOT.

Especially how the conflict between the brothers "resolves".

Fixed

Iron Giant would like to speak with yout

I thought the CG in The Iron Giant looked pretty bad.

Haven't really seen it aside from some brief clips but he still stands out a bit. That movie was definitely guilty of the whole CG vehicles thing though, with the cars and tanks.

Granted..that's the very rare occasion where the CG actually helps. First time watching it I thought it was hand drawn.

It's used to good effect all the time, and it allows things that are not possible with 2D.

Remind me where I said that every possible instance of 3D animation in 2D animation is good.

He could have been looking for an opening.

But what said is the truth. This happened in AtLA and happens in other action shows.

>Korra needs to be more spiritual to airbend Just kidding you just get it at the end because fuck you

when done well its works. Atlantis and treasure planet I thought it was decent

This isn't really a korra problem. It's essentially animation today. The worst offender of this being the new marvel cartoons.

An animator I used to know said the retarded coked up wonderkid in charge of a project he was working on was making them use anti-aliasing at every step. Like, pencils, inks, layers, colours, inbetweening…
As you can imagine, the whole show, every episode, turned out a blurry, bleeding wreck and I think it ended up only getting a limited release as a 2-dollar bin DVD, with the Christian cartoons, out of copyright B&W stuff and Italian Titanic musicals, if at all.
He and the other animators were trying to convince the lead guy that you couldn't do that, but apparently he had A VISION.
Can't remember the name of it. Something to do with a turtle or a tortoise. There may have been alliteration involved.

True, but I think it isn't as much of a problem in Korra as it is with other cartoons like with Marvel's shows. There's still squash and stretch and whilst they use smears too much in fight scenes (and those particular cases I think are done to look like motion blur), its also used well where it's needed. Plus, I think the keyframes are well drawn. It's basically just animu if it had even less frames than it already did.

Was it the same for the first avatar? I'd assume korra would have a bigger budget since nickelodeon wasn't expecting such a huge hit when they greenlit the first avatar.

Yeah, Korra has a larger animation budget (though things kinda go off the rail with Book 2 and 4). I actually do think, for the most part, Korra is a lot better animated than the first Avatar.

Well the concepts were interesting.

Wasted ideas.

Concepts? Could you post them?

sure here are some concepts
Season 1
Divide between benders and non-benders.
Korra having to learn peaceful way to solve problems rather than beat the shit out of people.

Season 2
Spirituality vs. Modern Technology.
Explore lore of the Avatar in the past.
Establish new political relations between nations.

Season 3
Could explore Red Lotus and lore of the White Lotus.
Could establish Kuvira better as a Korra fangirl so the whole opposites angle could work better.
Defeat Red Lotus and show Kuvira's turn to the darkside.

Season 4.
Explore Kuvira's opposite of Korra angle more.

Thats the concepts for each season I have so far.

agreed, it had potential but they wasted it.

good points user. Korra really is kind of redundant isn't it.

He released a new video.

Wow, I knew Korra was fucked up and fucked up right? I had no idea the plot was that badly thought out, glad I stopped watching

Let me ask you this question anons of Holla Forums.

Is Korra like water?