Does anyone else subscribe to the idea of a secular Jesus...

Does anyone else subscribe to the idea of a secular Jesus? I kind of treat him as a philosopher in that manner and value his teachings but I'm not the kind to wholeheartedly worship something that is not well witnessed in its documentation. However I have faith that there is a god because of the extremely unlikely circumstances that birthed the universe, the pervasive inference in the scientific community of a deistic god, taking the logical bet of Pascals Wager, as well as the universally recognized idea of the Kardashev scale.

I feel like there are books written on this idea that I have never heard of.

Other urls found in this thread:

lawofone.info/results.php?c=People&su=Jesus#Jesus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also
I think the idea of taking place in Worship rituals is fun and culturally enriching :^) because religion, like politics is downstream from culture, and its higher upstream than politics for sure.

bump

This idea makes no sense. This is what C.S. Lewis says about the idea:

The claim to forgive sins: any sins. now unless the speaker is God, this is really so preposter-
ous as to be comic. We can all understand how a man forgives offences against
himself. You tread on my toe and I forgive you, you steal my money and i
forgive you. But what should we make of a man, himself unrobbed and un-
trodden on, who announced that he forgave you for treading on other men's
toes and stealing other men's money? Asinine fatuity is the kindest descrip-
tion we should give of his conduct. Yet this is what Jesus did. He told people
that their sins were forgiven, and never waited to consult all the other people
whom their sins had undoubtedly injured. He unhesitatingly behaved as if He
was the party chiefly concerned, the person chiefly offended in all offences.
This makes sense only if He really was the God whose laws are broken and
whose love is wounded in every sin. in the mouth of any speaker who is not
God, these words would imply what I can only regard as a silliness and conceit
unrivalled by any other character in history.

Yet (and this is the strange, significant thing) even His enemies, when they
read the Gospels, do not usually get the impression of silliness and conceit.
Still less do unprejudiced readers. Christ says that He is "humble and meek"
and we believe Him; not noticing that, if He were merely a man, humility
and meekness are the very last characteristics we could attribute to some of
His sayings.

I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that peo-
ple often say about Him: "I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher,
but I don't accept His claim to be God." That is the one thing we must not say.
a man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not
be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic — on a level with the
man who says he is a poached egg — or else he would be the devil of Hell. You
must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else
a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit
at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord
and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being
a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to

So either Jesus was God himself or a rambling lunatic. There is no middle ground.

Reminder: Jesus was a Zionist

And those he called the Synagog of Satan were actually the Pro-Roman Jews that did not want a revolution.

The story of Jesus, who never existed, was a Hellenistic parody and cucking of Jews who fought Rome in a Holy war and got BTFO. All the characters are literally named after Jewish Zealot Generals.

What's the point?

Philosophy can be divided into two questions; How to live one's life, and how to govern a society. What are the unique contributions that you believe Jesus has made to answering these questions?

You are using the term "god" very loosely. Is god merely what you call the mechanism behind a low probability event?

Are you referring to the Fermi Paradox? There are plenty of explanations for this which do not deviate from known physical laws.

>>>/christian/

Hey, Schlomo

or… get this, he could be the christ[mesiyah], which is not god but a chosen man who has the authority to speak and act on gods behalf

get learned lewis

The most convincing idea of a secular jesus I've heard is that he hired a lookalike to die on the cross, this is recorded in the gospel of thomas as jesus laughing at the crucifixion from a distance. The body was indeed stolen, and he then used that as an excuse to parade around to the disciples telling them he'd be back. Then he ran off with mary magdalene to china and lived there until he died.

If jesus was not divine this seems the most believable to me.

Oh and judas was his cover man. That's how he knew one would "betray" him, they had already worked it out in advance.

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

The Gospel of John clearly calls Jesus (the Word) God

the two words are not the same in the original text

t. hesus

Why do you christ faggots always insist on having these non/pol/ threads? You just shit up the catalog and rail against everyone else by calling them D&C shills.

What would be more likely m8?

I'm not sure what two words you're thinking of, but the translation is accurate. The point of dispute by some is that there is no definite article used before God in the Greek "the Word was God." The Jehova's Witnesses therefore translate it "the Word was a god." In reality, this phrase can support both orthodox Christology or an Arian Christology, since neither group says that the Word is "the God." This passage predicates divinity of the Word while distinguishing the Word from "the God" (i.e. the Father). In any case, even if you take an Arian interpretation of this passage, it does not support a secular Jesus, since in the Arian worldview, Jesus is at least some kind of divine super-angel.

I personally don't think that a secular Jesus makes much sense, since the earliest Christian sources (chiefly the Pauline Epistles) do not depict Jesus as just a wise philosopher. If you reject the portrayal of Jesus in the early Christian literature, then that kind of calls their portrayal of his teachings into question as well. If the Christian New Testament is unreliable in its depiction of Jesus, then Jesus's identity is just conjecture and we'd no little more about him than any other mythical figure. The only writings about him are religious writings that depict him as a divine being.

Read the New Testament. Appreciate it. Let it do its intellectual work.

I subscribe to this idea, I think this is called Christian Deism, and it is quite common.

Fundamentalist blockheads want to to accept the Bible literally and that is the only way to know God. As I see it this is pure folly, it removes faith in God and replaces it with fear of the consequences that the Bible threaten. In a sense this Christian fundamentalism becomes a form of idolatry were the Bible and Jesus are literally Gods words and God made flesh. This is obvious of course, but from a deistic point of view its hard to believe in miracles and the divinity of Jesus.

Christianity is the sect of Jesus' teachings from Saul "Hooknose" of Tarsus that injects tons of disinfo regarding the esoteric truths.

Incarnation of high level character into low level zone to help power level us noobs.

lawofone.info/results.php?c=People&su=Jesus#Jesus

What if a man thought he was a poached egg, but also said you should be kind to people? Because he's obviously not a poached egg, does that mean I should reject the idea of kindness as well?

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Denying Christ's divinity is to deny God. To deny God is to deny His truths and so set yourself on the long path to believing you are personally capable of defining everything about right and wrong. And with every person having their own perception of reality, every person will have a different sense of right and wrong. This obviously leads to (avoidable) conflict.

Jesus is God because he thinks just like Him and perfectly follows His laws, yet isn't God because he cannot do everything God does. Jesus himself admits there is one greater than he.

Since all men are Christ then to deny any man's divinity is also to deny God's.

Vine/branches

As to the least of these

Christ = Annointed = Messiah = All annointed by Spirit

Quality post

Shill

Learn the difference kids.

No.

Jesus was either the son of God, or an absolute mad man. Those people who say they 'like Jesus but don't believe in anything spiritual' have only ever heard those few stories that 'liberal Christians/kike co-opters' repeatedly quote. They miss out the vast, vast, vast amounts he said on rejecting the world, on telling people that what they were doing was filth, he came to tear apart society, to tear apart families and utterly destroy what remained of the so-called 'Judeans'. He chastised everyone, told people that righteousness was preferable to a material victory (this is part of what we consider honour or chivalry today); he suggested cutting off body parts and gouging out your own eyes if they caused your mind to wander. He roamed around telling all the so-called authorities that they were deceived, idiots or pawns of the devil. He broke the established traditions of the land, He exposed the ritualistic nature of many as a pretense for their own morality when inside they were filth, he made everyone he came into contact with actually analyse themselves instead of considering themselves perfect and blaming the rest of the world for everything. He judged, he rebuked, he forgave. He acted with an authority that he either had or did not.

How would you feel if a random person came through your door right now and told you to follow them, and then went out into a Church and started physically and verbally attacking everyone in sight calling them rotten deceivers and corrupters? That is Jesus.

The idea that committing a crime/offense ("sin") requires forgiveness at all is silly. It requires restitution, forgiveness is optional. Forgiveness is just a sentimental notion. Forgiveness is just when the offended party openly declares that he is willing to "forget" the crime and to act as though it never happened, which is nice, but strictly speaking sentimental and not necessary. The whole idea that "sin" requires above all forgiveness is womanish, emotional.

I treat him as a kike who was forced upon the people of Europe against their will.

Butt hurt kike upset that God rejected him. You had your chance, in the book of Malachi you were given the choice to return to God or be turned into stubble in an oven. You still have time; turn to Christ, or you'll burn with the rest of them.

The holocaust may never have happened; but it will. God has ordained it.

Well, beliefs aside we can all agree Jesus was a hugely charismatic figure 2000 years ago to still be talked about today.

But then there's the broken telephone thing. 2000 years ago do we still have acess to the same purity of what Jesus said in the Source? (directly from his mouth)

Isn't this what Islam believes? In a Christain context, it would pretty much defeat the whole purpose though.

Not really, if he existed, and the modern image of jesus is likely completely different from what he was actually like
There was a huge time period from his preaching to when you had anything written down, and then after that you had the various purges by the early Catholic church to enforce dogma

Also Turning the other cheek is really stupid. Right there with if you kill your enemies they win from Justin Trudeau