How does Holla Forums feel about emoji as a method of online communication?

How does Holla Forums feel about emoji as a method of online communication?

Other urls found in this thread:

emojicode.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I see them as form of memes, but I do not like that they are controlled by organisations. It would be a lot better if they are just small images that people can send instead of being threated as letters.

My keyboard already has emojis. โ˜บ
But I do not know if others can see them. ๐Ÿ˜

Emoji are textbook definition of bloat, there's no need for them to be part of unicode.

They're for low IQ Neanderthals, who don't know how to communicate on an effective and professional level. They were made for millennials and every stupid millennial that I've ever met uses them. They're disgusting, degenerative, proprietary bloatware trash.

I'd have no problem with them as long as they weren't in Unicode and weren't so overused.

๐Ÿ•Ž๐Ÿ”ซ ๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿค 

This.

Sums it up.

I use them when I communicate with normie friends because they always use them and I want to fit in

The only problem with this is that nothing points to neanderthals being "lower iq"

Purely from a technical point of view I think having a proper encoding for them is better than having a thousand incompatible formats or sending complete images around.

From any other point of view they're complete fucking cancer but they'd be that in any representation.

I don't mind Emoji themselves, they are kind of cute. What I do mind is them being in Unicode.

The problem is that there is really no end for what Emoji to have. Take for example people: with the generic yellow faces it's one symbol per emotion, simple enough. But then you have actual people Emoji, so you gotta have people of both sexes and of every skin color. But then you have more than one person, so you gotta have ever possible permutation of the above. Then there are people of certain profession, so add every permutation of that one as well. You see how this keeps growing exponentially.

Then there are the flags: what flags do you include? Only the flags of countries? But then you have the problem of "what is a country?", like some country might not be recognized fully internationally, so now the Unicode consortium has to tread on political eggshells. You could just close your eyes and say "if it's a geographical region and they make a flag we'll include it without making a judgement", but then every bumfuck region has to be represented.

How does it get decided what objects are to be included in Emoji? Why is there a hamburger emoji, but no lasagna emoji? Why are there four different book emoji in different colors? Yeah, I know it's because of the different CD-audio standards which are often named after colored books, but come on, is that really that important? Why is there a cyclist emoji ๐Ÿšด and a cyclist with mountain backdrop emoji ๐Ÿšต? Why not have one with a forest, city, or beach backdrop as well? And why is there no female variant?

What about semantic meaning? The "bug" emoji ๐Ÿ› displays as a caterpillar for me, but will it be a caterpillar for every font? What about screen readers, are they aware that the "bug" is actually a caterpillar?

Emoji started out as a cute idea: some Japanese engineers saw that they had some unused code points on their phones, so they filled the slots with images. That's where it should have stayed, but instead Emoji kept spreading and mutating like a disease.

They are absolutely fine

Unicode is too complicated, and a whole bunch of the symbols don't even work in my browser. Just shows an empty box instead.
And I don't even care about those emoticons anyway. The one thing I would have liked, for backwards compatibility reasons, is DOS ANSI character set (codepage 437). But I don't see that in there anywhere. Every faq or page I read about unicode says you have to use a filter like luit or external program. What a crock! That means the consortium in charge of this big pile of shit cares more about some meme icons than backwards compatibility.

AAAAAAAAAAH!!! ๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก๐Ÿ˜ก Every FUCKING ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œ day with these ๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ’ฉSTUPID๐Ÿ’ฉ๐Ÿ’ฉ fucking MEMES! โœ‹๐Ÿ˜กI've had it up ๐Ÿ‘†to HERE ๐Ÿ’ฏwith stupid fucking ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œmemes! ๐Ÿธ ๐Ÿต You guys ๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿ‘จโ€๐Ÿ‘ฆmake me want to KILL ๐Ÿ˜ฉ๐Ÿ”ซMYSELF! ๐Ÿ’€ Is that๐Ÿ‘‰ what you ๐Ÿ‘† fucking want? โ“โ“For me ๐Ÿ™to fucking๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œ KILL ๐Ÿ”ชโ˜ MYSELF ๐Ÿ’€ and write โœ โœ on my suicide note ๐Ÿ“"Cause of suicide: โœCouldn't hand๐Ÿ‘‹le all of the ๐Ÿ’ฉstupid๐Ÿ’ฉ fucking๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œ memes ๐Ÿธ , killed ๐Ÿ’€ myselfโšฐ๐Ÿ”ช"? Because that's ๐Ÿ‘ˆwhat it might as well fucking ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œsay!๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿ˜ค๐Ÿ˜กYou guys are literally, L๐Ÿ˜ I๐Ÿ˜ T๐Ÿ˜ E๐Ÿ˜ R๐Ÿ˜ A๐Ÿ˜ L๐Ÿ˜ L๐Ÿ˜ Y incapable of having even โž•โž–โž•the SIMPLEST๐Ÿ’ฏ ๐Ÿ’of fucking๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œ discussion without "๐Ÿšซ๐Ÿ™…MEME ๐Ÿธ THIS๐Ÿ‘‡, MEME ๐Ÿธ THAT๐Ÿ‘†, PROBABLY FIREFOX BE ๐Ÿ”ฅ๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿ”ฅBLOAT,๐Ÿณ ๐Ÿ‹ HERE'S A PIC ๐Ÿ“ท OF GNU ๐Ÿƒ๐ŸƒEMACS ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ”ฏBY RICHARD๐Ÿ˜ STALLMAN, HAH๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚AHAH๐Ÿ˜‚AHA๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚HAH๐Ÿ˜‚AHAHA ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚EBIN AMIRITE?" ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€Do you literally do ANYTHING๐Ÿ˜ฏ productive ๐ŸŽฎ๐ŸŽจ๐Ÿ€with your lives ๐Ÿ‘ค๐Ÿ‘ฅother than post ๐Ÿ’ฉstupid๐Ÿ’ฉ fucking๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œ memes๐Ÿธ ๐Ÿ‘€on the technology ๐Ÿ’พ๐Ÿงsection of a god ๐Ÿถdamn anime๐Ÿ’Ÿ๐Ÿ’ž๐Ÿ’– imageboard? You fucking ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œpeople๐Ÿ‘จ๐Ÿ‘ฆ make me sick ๐Ÿ˜ท and you're damn ๐Ÿ˜ˆ๐Ÿ˜ˆlucky ๐Ÿ€ I don't have any of your fucking ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œaddresses๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‘Œ you fucking ๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘‰๐Ÿ‘Œpieces of shits.๐Ÿ’ฉ I'd spit ๐Ÿ’ง ๐Ÿ’ง in your faces.๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’ฏ๐Ÿ”ฅ

I like them but they're a waste of unicode

I'm so happy imageboards hate emojis so much. Conversations with unironic emojis in them are always retarded. An intelligent person might use them unironically, which doesn't mean they're retarded, but the conversation in which they are using it will certainly be worthless.

Honestly they seem like really shitty reaction images/image memes implemented in a very inappropriate medium in a very limited way. Their function is basically to:

Unlike emojis, images don't break the flow of text, have a lot of freedom in what you can use (instead of having to beg the Unicode consortium to add your favorite shade of brown every time), and the time wasting game actually becomes interested since you can creatively modify memes or create new ones.

The argument people use is always that they help express emotion, but nobody actually does that because of their silly connotations (reminds me of over-emotional, airheaded women irl). You wouldn't use a frowny face when consoling someone whose relative died, and a smiley will always be ambiguous about whether it's a sarcastic mocking laugh or sincere happiness. So at this point they are reduced to being purely decorative, and given how ugly they are (and also all the other methods that exist for decorating digital text) it seems like they should just die and be forgotten.

Love it, since it seems to trigger the autists here like nothing else

Annoying bloated bullshit crapping on standards to placate smartphone shiteaters. Just use a fucking emoticon or post a real image you lazy fuck.

I wish I could make this kind of magic with emoji but this takes some serious dedication.

They're not supposed to be reaction images. They're supposed to be a smileys. It wasn't that long ago that every forum, IM service, and phone company each had its own unique set of smileys that weren't compatible with each other. Emoji is supposed to be the universal standard for smileys so that's not an issue anymore.

Emojis are, of course, still inferior to real smileys. A good set of smileys is mostly animated gifs, which is good for spamming a giant wall of clapping smileys for when that one faggot who everyone hates and the admins are looking for an excuse to ban does something retarded again.

But they're used in exactly the same way.

Emoji is a cancer. I wish I could meet the moron who invented that shit, and punch his damn teeth in.

I agree.

It's nice to find someone else who hates Emoji as much as I do.

Asscancer

filter/remove

u"(?

It's the Japanese. That's where the name "emoji" originates.

Doesn't regex support Unicode?

Back in my day we called them emoticons.

(checked)

Let's bring back the term 'emoticon' for the glory of Hitler.

I said emojis were just emoticons and was called a faggot and that emojis are specific and unique

emojicode.org/

๐Ÿ ๐Ÿ‡ ๐Ÿ‘ด Letโ€™s print the first 15 fibonaccis. ๐Ÿฎ a 0 ๐Ÿฎ b 1 ๐Ÿ”‚ i โฉ 0 15 ๐Ÿ‡ ๐Ÿฆ r โž• a b ๐Ÿฎ a b ๐Ÿฎ b r ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ”ก r 10 ๐Ÿ‰๐Ÿ‰

emojis is the worst thing that happend to the web
I wish'd there was a filter

Why are they all icons now? The fun used to be creating your own unique one with the keyboard like penises and stuff
8::::::D~

It's perfect

I have no problem with them existing. They can be convenient for putting icons on controls in programs or other UIs without having to fuck with images. The trend of treating them as a language will wane too. They'll just be another system of emoticons as far as that goes before too long. No point in getting pissed about a fad that is only really abused by idiots. If you see a lot of that, it's your fault for communicating with retards.

They're not supposed to be smilies. They're supposed to be pictures. The word had nothing to do with emoticon. It's emoji. e-moji, where moji is Japanese for "picture". That's why there are emojis for tons of non-emotive things.

They make my blood boil.

well aren't you just a clever boy

/thread. Nothing about them really; they just don't belong to a character set.

I'm a millennial and I don't use 'em
what?

tfw you realize emoji might become the ultimate knowledge representation system in AI ontology

where did you find that regex? I was looking for something like that the other day for a NLP parsing project

An emoticon is not an emoji, an emoji is implemented into a character set, an emoticon is like an emoji but is instead represented by normal characters which are then substituted by an image at some point.

Furthermore, you can make up new emoticons as you go along, like a vampire emoticon :[ and no standard needs to be bloated with them. If a particular text display wants to replace emoticons with images it can do so, but if it doesn't no information is lost. If you want to use a vampire emoji you will have to bug the standard committee about it, because that's such an important emoji to have.

They're funny ironically but they should never have been in the unicode standard.

Make unicode great again when

Are you fucking retarded?
Don't answer that; you must be if you willingly choose languages that make you do shit like that.

I'm glad they haven't picked up at all on Holla Forums, only time you ever really them are in threads specifically talking about them.

smh tbh fam

bravo

also check'd