How do people actually become religious? It just seems so stupid to me if you really think about it...

How do people actually become religious? It just seems so stupid to me if you really think about it. I know it is indoctrination, but don't they ever just think about how absurd it all is?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/user/TheraminTrees
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0C3C1D163BE880A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Oy vey

most people go to church as an excuse to socialize

How do you sleep at night not knowing why you exist or how you came to be? Don't you think the idea that you somehow exist without there being ultimately an uncreated creator absurd?

They can't, OP, because it is a cultural taboo to even think about it. It's an insult to God to think about it. Without even realizing it, they convince themselves it's not that absurd, that there is nothing to think about, all an evolutionary survival mechanism from the first civilizations.

(Not the same user)
Yes, but the idea that the creator has anything resembling human consciousness that exists independently of actual human consciousness, has opinions on human behavior, changes history to its liking and sends a human version of itself to Earth to save us from Hell…

Do I really have to go on? It's pretty absurd.

You know how kids can be tricked into believing Santa Claus actually exist? Kids have no critical thinking skills. You can make them believe pretty much anything. Most of the obviously stupid things get shredded by their critical thinking abilities as kids grow up but there are a few technics to prevent this process. They all revolve around shipping your stupid idea with other auxiliary stupid ideas that will selectively or generally prevent the kid’s critical thinking abilities to ever grow or be applied to the belief he/she already hold. The concept of hell and the concept of faith are two examples of these. The first promises punishment for disbelief and the second recasts the gullibility required for the belief to be maintained into a virtue.

I know two YouTube channels who talk about the psychology of religion in depth if you are truly interested:
youtube.com/user/TheraminTrees
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA0C3C1D163BE880A

God doesn't have anything resembling human consciousness, God doesn't have anything resembling humans period this is just the only way our tiny minds can conceptualise it.

I don't understand why this all that absurd, this is our all powerful creator, He knows every inch of His creation and can manipulate as he wills

That's just Christian stupidity, Christianity isn't the only deistic religion.

You just gotta believe dude

Assuming it's not the result of divine intervention, religious people take 3 main forms:
These are the cult founders as well as the shapers of the religion. They often sincerely believe what they are spouting as it came from their own mind. Obviously, this is the smallest group.
People in a significant amount of disarray in their life want an easy fix for it all. This is often coupled with extraordinary coincidences which they have a hard time coming to terms with through logic. "you just happen to be the 1 in a million that this happened to" often just doesn't cut it. These often become converts when they are exposed to a group which claims to have an answer.
The children of converts and their children's children will likely be taught the same dogma as their parents. They lack critical thinking skills and usually see their parents as infallible. This is the largest group of people in any cult which survives a sufficiently long time.

How do people actually become atheists? It just seems so stupid to me if you really think about it. I know it is indoctrination, but don't they ever just think about how absurd it all is?

It's a major religion. You're a minority in this aspect.

You're right, if it had a subjective experience that wasn't purely chaotic and had the ability to form coherent "thoughts" or perform logical calculations, its experience would be incomprehensible to us.

However, the second paragraph is where everything falls apart. It's absurd to assume that this is the case, when a simpler explanation is that it has to capacity for thought beyond what the universe has of brains, while perhaps feeling chatoc, non-coherent phenomena of experience forming in large, energetic celestial bodies.

Why do you have to project a personality onto God?

has no capacity*

How do people actually become Marxists? It just seems so stupid to me if you really think about it. I know it is indoctrination, but don't they ever just think about how absurd it all is?

I saw the s at least 8 times.

s

Nothing wrong with these. Sometimes thinking outside the box is required

*tips respectfully towards you*

greetings chan, long time no sage
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

negated

you children speak of masks, but there was a time before masks and before men. when the Chan's we're bound by nameless men with numbers and magic child. go from whence you came foul ghoul !
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Any other retard wanna have a crack huh?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yes

The details of my life are quite inconsequential… very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum… it's breathtaking - I highly suggest you try it.