Project Build

This place is pretty boring. What would y'all think if I started talking about my master plan here?

I've wanted to build a practical ornithopter for nearly 10 years now. Studied aero in college. Been working in aero manufacturing a bit. Way I have it figured I need to:
- level my CNC/ metalshop skills
- finish my books on differential geometry and vortices. God FUCK vortex math
- start with something simple, like a basic 4 bar 1 wing mechanism. Upgrade to 2x 4 bar with coaxial pitching to get flapping, feathering, and fore/aft lead-lag control
- experiment with the mechanism, also make theory of operation (likely involving medium or hard math)

I think the big block is not having good theories to go on. I've bought all the flapping wing aero books I could find, but they all deal with low Reynolds number shit. Also at least one states that no fully descriptive flapping wing math model has been formulated, so … yeah.

Am considering going for masters at a school for either helicopter shit or unsteady aero. Unsteady would just be 1 class though, so I'd do other stuff.

So a two-prong experimental + exploratory analytical is the idea. Maybe something comes of it.

asstard

white people: the thread

solve this first unless your a retard

I don't know what I expected.

Also, x=approx. 2.07400 is one solution according to wolfram alpha. The other one is around 41.5 or so.

Also iirc wolfram assumes log is base e, so if you use base 10 you will probably get different numbers.

math and stuff I guess

this user is not a retard

So I assume you're also going to let wolfram alpha build your bird robot plane? I like the ambition of today's retards

yea he is

If I could yeah. Do you eat with your hands or do you use tools?

Do you use a knife and fork to eat pizza?

Turns out I typed a sign in wrong and hinted the correct solution.

Neat.

fug, you're making me miss my math's classes back in high school. I've never thought I'll miss that feeling.

My nipples have your attenuation

Yayyyyyyyyyyy

Finally someone who is not retarted on Holla Forums! Kodus man, and good luck with the bird plane!

your hand writing is kinda gentle. you're not a faggot are you? hehe memes

Have you tried finding other people who are into this?

Just scale up pic related

Off and on. A guy I was in college was into it, but we didn't take it anywhere; I should get back in touch with him.

About 5 years ago there were 5 or so blogs on the issue (Daedalus et. al.) but when that one fake ornithopter video hit they all shut down fast real suspicious-like; I emailed Daedalus asking for links / references / bibliography before the blog shut down and got nothing from him.

Most of the remaining internet ornithopter guys are on that one model aircraft forum talking about their next thing being like 3 whole pounds and stuff. No methodology to it at all, and they're kinda all in a competition to stick their names on irrelevant shit like awful drive mechanism concepts and it pisses me off. Plus basically zero real theory. I get that aero is hard-ish, but seriously guys, at least try. And the guys who want to build big don't ever show anything working, or anything that looks not-scary.

And all the university researchers are into MAVs, the low Reynolds number shit that's mostly outside of what I care about.

I used to be, but ever since I saw your dad naked I get nauseous thinking of men.

That's pretty much what U of Toronto (I think that's who did it) did. Dont know if you saw the vid but they're lucky nobody got hurt. Looked like it would spontaneously flip if it hit a weird gust or something. I want something controllable, reasonably efficient, and reasonably comfortable. Something really fucking awesome wouldn't hurt either.

I understand your struggle. Consider yourself lucky and godspeed