How's that job in IT going, Holla Forums? Made it past intern level yet?

How's that job in IT going, Holla Forums? Made it past intern level yet?

Not even sure how to get in. I'm shit at finding/getting jobs and I have no friends for means of nepotism.

I recently accepted an offer for what will be the start of my career. The best thing is, it's not in Silicon Valley, so my paycheck can actually support me.

Companies in my area want a BS in CS/CE, CCNA and MSCA certs and 3 years of experience for a help desk position.

I really wanna be in Cyber-Sec, graduating with a bach in IT Management so if worse comes to worse I can pin down a government job and be a desk jockey with the Civil Service exam I squeaked by with a few months back.

Looking into a certification course in Albany, but after talking to some schmo at the college there it's lecture only, no labwork or hands on shit, not even assignment books, so I'm not 100% certain if its worth the investment (It's a 16 credit course so I don't even know how much it'd cost here). Worst comes to pass I'll find one of those certification tests you study for in your own time and take it when it's available, I just need to pin down a 'good' one.

Yes. It's awful
I didn't want to do good in it. They even want to give me a higher seniority and a raise.
It's tough having a job you hate and want to quit, but it's even tougher to have a job you hate and want to quit PLUS being good at it and risking to waste all that money and potential for contacts.

Nobody answered my question in the sticky, so I'll ask here:

Is A+ certification enough to get you a tech support job?

A kindred spirit.

Depends on where you live. Sometimes you'll get work at an ISP, or if you send in your resume to something like a computer repair store.

I got my job entirely just with an A+ cert but I was hired out of a practicum with my college.

I did all that without any degree or certs whatsoever, back in the 90's. Just had to know your way around Unix and some basic shell scripting. Well it was more than helpdesk, also had to identify & fix problems on the servers. Kind of a tech support + junior sysadmin gig.
Now the industry is cucked and lame. That's what happens when normies invade.

These are bullshit requirement tech companies put out so they can hire Pajeets.

Yes. I have to leave in 20 minutes.

I got hired to make a custom database, made myself useful doing miscellaneous IT, got the office workers interested in the benefits of using Free Software, and then upgraded 80% of the office workstations from Microsoft's Windows to GNU/Linux. Now even the receptionists and marketing people are using software that respects their computing freedoms. Joy all around. Job well done.

I got my first job yesterday. I do GNU/Linux system administration and don't have to touch Windows in my day to day life. No degree, no certs, no nepotism - only dumb luck. I'm currently observing the existing sysadmin to pick up on what do.

Yep, I do "devops" as my literally first IT job. I learned Docker, Chef, and node.js in a couple months and now I make containerized web applications, with Chef provisioning the containers.

It's cool stuff. I'm happy.

Nobody has ever said that. Nobody has ever said, "my IT system is perfect with Windows, I have had exactly zero problems in my company when using Windows".

got a job as a junior sysadmin cause of a job through my school, it's pretty great because all my dicking around with linux finally paid off.

how does it pay? How much experience did you have with Linux before, any tips on how to get better/what to learn?

user here. What you describe actually did happen. After using GNU/Linux for two weeks, one of the receptionists had one of the other IT guys reinstall Windows 7 for her. A week after that, she asked me to replace it again with GNU/Linux. Oddly, it was not for any technical reason. She said she wanted her computer to be "like the other girls' computers."

That sounds cute

I chose having less money over losing my soul. I don't regret it.

2 years experience of using GNU/Linux on my personal machines. I haven't used Windows at all for my own computing in that time. I also ran a web server for a few months using Ubuntu 16.04. They hired me anyway. I suppose they saw my potential or something (or they wanted someone to immediately fill in their sysadmin vacancy).

My workplace pretty much exclusively uses Ubuntu for their hosting, running off of AWS. I'd recommend learning Ansible to save yourself some time. I'm not a huge fan of it but it makes my job easier when I suddenly need my setup script to support CentOS due to a client not using our hosting services, for instance. Apache is pretty much essential. Other skills depend on the company; I have enough PHP skills to edit a settings.php, for example.

I get paid £165.75 a week since I'm an apprentice.

It's a small jeans and t-shirt company. Tailor your bait properly. :^)

I'm a technical consultant for a medium-large enterprise software company

You have to be brave and take an occasional fall for a few employees who will try to scapegoat GNU/Linux for their own shitty work. I nearly got fired after "my" GNU/Linux system was blamed for one employee's slow progress at work.

Gee, I wonder if it's because your faggotry made a normally efficient guy have to relearn brand new inferior tools because you went full autism against existing software solutions that were in place.

Care to use your trip, Fred?

is there such thing as part time IT work? or even dev work? id like to do something in my life besides working but i dont even know if a position like that exists often enough

cant a man work without it being 50 hours a week + 10 hours of commuting

I have a BS in software development, graduated back in May of 2015 but haven't been able to find a single job since. Been to a handful of interviews; most of the offers seem to be in the city, and I think I'd rather consider being homeless over taking a job there.

Where do I start? Am I lacking anything? I was thinking of going to one of those employment offices in the coming weeks, but I'm not sure if that will still yield results. I can't tell if the problem is with me, or because all these jobs are being taken by pajeets, because employers would never tell me as such.

user, you probably don't want to hear this but you might have to take that city job. I know where you are coming from, I detest large cities myself but you need to get experience. You are competing with pajeets with Ph.Ds from diploma mills on their resume. You don't want to be out of the field for much longer or it will look bad. Once you have more experience you'll have a better selection of jobs to pick from.
Also try former professors at your school that you had a good rapport with and see if they know of anything.

It's called an internship

It's like part time work, minus the minimum wage.

Maybe support or something but if you want to make a living at it, do consulting?
Could also try to write indy phone apps/pc games but that seems as hard as writing. For every 100 authors barely getting by cranking out pulp fiction there's 1 that gets a best-seller.

He just graduated and had no job since then. Who in their right mind would hire him as a consultant? Even if he's the best coder on the planet no company would hire him since they have no way to know.

Fancy up your GitHub profile. Make well written README's for your projects. Basically, show stuff what you have build, what you can do, make it easy to install, and show some examples with pictures.

internships eventually have to become full time work or parting ways dont they? im also not in a position to really go for cs internships since ive been out of school for a couple of years

in order to consult i think i would need to be highly experienced in a field, not just highly studied

i think the app jackpot years are kinda over

Didn't realize that was the same guy. I take back the consulting suggestion.

What if I have none?

My biggest problem has always been imagination; if someone gives me a project outline, I can fulfill all of the requirements just fine. I have a hard time trying to come up with something to do on my own.

Im still learning IBM CL when I'm not fixing the drone's printers or doing something completely unrelated.

Nah, but people will still complain about "Windows being easier to use!" and so forth.

You're working IT. If there's a problem, 9 times out of 10 it's sitting in front of the screen.

This so much. I can do bugfixing pretty well but I can't really come up with new features.

Work at a private college. Was at the Help Desk for 3 years then moved to training. Still get to learn all kinds of technical shit while having a less stressful job.

I quit the IT job years ago.

The money was decent and the job would occasionally throw up pleasant challenges but overall it just drove me to tears with how boring it was. I spent my teenage years saying 'I want to work for computers!' and then I finally got there and about 6 months into it I wanted to kill myself because I was just so bored to tears.

Ended up sticking with it for several years, during which time I delved into a giant drinking and drug habit just to keep myself tranquilized and avoid the possibility of waking up and realizing how much I hated my life.

I fell for the collegejew and am currently studying to become a geology teacher. But honestly, I am a lot happier now.

I never did get back my passion for computing. I don't even enjoy it as a hobby anymore. I despise having to do anything indepth with computers beyond them doing what I need them to do.

Fuck technology.

These kind of jobs still exist of course most of them needs Linux and networking knowledge.

You may be onto something.

You are fucking stupid and I hope you are struggling to make ends meet financially as a result.

I'm pretty sure he became retarded and degenerate because the job was boring, not the other way round