More than 50% of internet usage is done on smartphones and tablets

techcrunch.com/2016/11/01/mobile-internet-use-passes-desktop-for-the-first-time-study-finds/

Where did everything go so wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

contemporary-home-computing.org/where-did-the-computer-go/
contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/
contemporary-home-computing.org/turing-complete-user/
contemporary-home-computing.org/prof-dr-style
libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
zlib.net/
glfw.org/
programming.witheve.com/
jetbrains.com/webstorm/
lighttable.com/
atom.io/
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

And this triggers autists like you, why?

Because developing "mobile first" websites blows horse cock. You either use a bloated library or it takes 5x as long.

Because it's impossible to design an interface optimal for desktops and phones, so this shits it up for desktop users.

So you've got 5x as much work to do. Each hour of which you get paid to do. I don't see the problem for lots of people. You're screwed if you are the one paying the programmers or trying to make a personal project but meh.

You point?
Phones have never and will never compete with computers anyhow. When has there been a time in history where phones haven't outsold computers? They're two different products. I don't care if pajeets think smartphones are anywhere near portable computers, they aren't.

But most sites have PC and Mobile version of their sites anyway?

protip; 90 percent of websites are written on computers initially anyways.

They used to, but companies are going for the "responsive web" meme.

This consists of throwing out information density for desktops, and loading blury images using some shitting great framework.

10% websites are made on phones and tablets?

Well, even apple phones are now x1080, so it shouldn't be such a big deal

It's only partially pixel count though.
Touchscreens demand huge buttons and infinite scrolling. Finegrained desktop controls just get thrown out.

There's no real reason it couldn't be done right, but it would cost twice as many pajeets.

Correction, it's shit for mobile too.
Plent of websites now require javascript to even display text, which I hate with a passion because my battery life goes to the shitter and my phone gets warm whenever I enable it.

I was obviously making an approximation. But you KNOW at least some retards made a website with their Android phones using their default text editors and then deployed them with some shitty home server software from Google Play

Why not the one-finger stab, instant cloud website designer app*
FREE (In app purchases for removing ads and logo)

What's a good phone to by atm?

S7 edge or V20?

50 dollar budget Android phone because shitposting from a mobile device doesn't require an octo-core processor. Then you can save your cash for a decent PC. If you already have a decent PC then who gives a fuck just get the S7

Is there something better than the S7

I've been using a dumbphone all this time and am a smartphone virgin

Nope, there's really nothing better than the S7, and the S7 is shit

welcome to the world of smartphones fam

A-a-at least I'll now be able to play pokemon go with the kids at work

Kids still play pokemon go right?

eeh, yeah. But its not "mainstream" anymore. Granted the new Pokemon games for 3DS coming this month will probably bump Pokemon Go back up for a bit.

The Elements still have to be big enough to touch with a finger higher density of pixels just means they are less and less visible so everything would look crisp.

That Fad endured like 3 months, this fad endured almost 5 years, and who knows maybe a new series or the movie would pump it back up.

Regular Humans Wont like Pokemon Go anymore, they already got bored, If they added pokemon from other gen, Normandos would go "not MY Pokemon!??!?!"

Shit is fucked either way.

Well okay, I'm off to buy S7 edge, thanks.

You better not be fucking withe me fam

Yeah, naw. Pokemon is the best selling traditional game series of all time and the most successful show based on a video game

Good job though, you make me slightly rustled, I give you a 7/10

MLP was never mainstream in the first place

Get a Xiaomi if you want better bang for the buck, information on the wiki.

I was talking about Pokemon Go genius...

well you got me there, but neither is Pokemon in general, I was still talking about Pokemon Go, hell, Gen 1 has a lot of shit pokemon design wise, like the Clefairy line. Also back at Pokemon Go, most people that played that only watched the anime and never played the games.

Consumers vote with their wallets. We like computers because we've been tinkering with them our entire lives. Normies don't care, and want results and positive experiences with computers.

You should be happy, because now you are better equipped to take their money.

Doesnt xiaomi literally send your information to servers in china

I guess it depends on your definition of mainstream, but I'd say Pokemon is easily more mainstream than MLP ever was. Nigger, its retarded to compare a hasbro toy franchise with a franchise that makes up a percentage of Japans GDP. Just stop

beat me to it

Incredibly relevant (read in order):

contemporary-home-computing.org/where-did-the-computer-go/

contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/

contemporary-home-computing.org/turing-complete-user/

contemporary-home-computing.org/prof-dr-style

Those pages make my eyes bleed

iPhone7+

I thought everything in the future are moving towards apps? Dude even my thirdworld malls/cinema/restaurants have their own apps, website it's just for downloading apk that's not in store.

Get Xiaomi M5S or international Galaxy S3 and install gentoo cyanogen

Why not international galaxy s7 edge

Yeah no fucking shit.

That's retarded. There's always some sort of work to do, and adding more work doesn't add more time to the workday with which to do work. Every hour you spend doing stupid shit is an hour you spend not doing meaningful work,

Responsive websites save up money because you only design one website. Images don't have to be small, you can use a large one that'll shrink on mobile

Trust me when I say the S7 (?:Edge)?'s build quality is worse than than the S3.

) =

That's because you are expected to configure your own browser settings to display it to your liking, not have the page do it for you.

On the plus side, if they buy into the meme right, we could get lighter websites (or am I dreaming?).

The artistic taste of the author of the first text is questionable, but these were a very interesting reads.

That's a good way to lose traffic

reeeeeeeeeeeee.

Let's see.
Then:
libpng.org/pub/png/libpng.html
zlib.net/
glfw.org/ (Including because the website layout hasn't ever changed)

Now:
programming.witheve.com/
jetbrains.com/webstorm/
lighttable.com/
atom.io/

Normalfucks and Steve "Asscancer" Jobs.

So TRIGGERED right now.

General purpose computer = general purpose user
Smart = controlled [by a 3rd party]

The study is of a handful of websites that the company explicitly tracks while calling those websites the entirety of the Internet.

The Internet might be over half mobile usage now or it may not. Whichever it is, the study that TechCrunch points to doesn't prove it.

I have a hundred dollar phone for data management and being a hotspot, and then just connect my tablet for actual shitposting.

You're dreaming. Websites are actually getting more bloated.
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm

Jesus fucking christ.

That's a really cool article, thanks user. Nice design too, will save it as inspiration for my own site.

He's claiming that online advertising is a bubble, though, and it's a pretty big claim. It has been going on for ages now, not even 2008 could stop it. Is it really true?

I think it's mostly because it isn't growing as fast as things like the dot-com bubble did, since it still takes quite a bit of infrastructure and shit to inavde the privacy of datamine customers. The big question is where all that data goes when it bursts; most of it will probably just vanish into the ether when their contract with whatever cloud service stores their data ones out, but I still see a lot of it being acquired by scrupulous entities offering an easy way out for advertising companies.

Also that chart led me to the discovery of no-scripts mobile version, which is neat

Responsive means that it adapts the layout to the screen, you fucking retard.

Fuck off Holla Forums

lol of course but when asked where over 50% game its on PC Bro.

Sounds about right.

Make a desktop version of webisite, then make a mobile version. Have the mobile version load when viewing website with a mobile phone.

StatCounter is blacklisted for every major ad-blocker.

So it is more like:
5.12% mobile users without ad-blocker
4.87% desktop users without ad-blocker
20% mobile users with ad-blocker
70% desktop users with ad-blocker