What's a good tutorial on how to learn to play guitar? Either on youtube or whatever, as long as is free...

What's a good tutorial on how to learn to play guitar? Either on youtube or whatever, as long as is free, apps for phones are advisable too, I'm using one to tune the guitar, in fact. I have an electric guitar laying around and I think is time to learn how to play it.

Other urls found in this thread:

abc.go.com/shows/beyond-the-tank/video/most-recent/VDKA0_x87u423q
customsforge.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=PVuVHgy-Arg
jellynote.com/en/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm learning guitar at the moment, a tutor is a huge help and you can usually find someone that isn't very expensive, you can also learn a bunch just by playing tabs.

Not a big fan of other people.
I was learning to read tabs before, but I forgot most of it. Thanks for the tab, though.

this will make you the next jemmy hindrix
abc.go.com/shows/beyond-the-tank/video/most-recent/VDKA0_x87u423q

shut up. chord buddy is a proven method to guiatr dominance

Rocksmith 2014 is actually pretty alright. Combine it with any of the plethora of tutor apps, and you'll be playing Smoke On The Water in no time flat.

Rocksmith is pretty great, just make sure you check out the CDLCs, huge amount of free songs to learn.

How does that work? I saw it once. Maybe I will pirate it because fuck buying games

Hi there OP, I play guitar and bass

All you've gotta do is pick songs you wanna learn, find the tabs, and start playing them. There aren't that many techniques on guitar in most songs. You've got hammer-ons, pull-offs, slides, palm muting, and sweeping; all things you can look up on youtube and learn almost instantly. Beyond that you just need to learn good practice habits through common sense and focus. A teacher isn't gonna teach you much besides music theory and some riffs. I know a fuckton of music theory and I pretty much never use it

Tabs isn't sheet music, it's not something you need to spend very much effort learning how to read lol. The lines are the strings of the guitar, bottom line is the thick string top line is the thin string. The number is the fret. The / is a guitar slide, the horizontal ) is a hammer on if it's going up frets and a pull off if it's going down frets

Its like guitar hero but instead of a plastic autism stick you plug a regular guitar in, works surprisingly well, its kind of shitty at teaching you chords though so you might want to learn them from another source. heres where you can get free music customsforge.com/

Well you should get it for PC, irregardless of whether you purchase it or not, simply because it has a TON of free DLC people have made for it, like said.

It's almost exactly like how Rock Band 3 used to be before Rock Band 4 was made. Custom DLC for days.

oh and if you pirate you will still need to buy the chord that go's from your guitar to your computer

I wanted to start with some music theory to get a hold of it, I was guessing it's like language where if you learn the basics everything else should be easy. Thanks for the reply.

This is exactly what I thought. I doubt I'd be able to buy that. I was wondering how the fuck I'd be able to plug my guitar to the PC, but well, I guess I'm fucked.

Not the person that you're responding to but some music theory is really useful, especially for jamming or playing with people. If you can learn (memorize) the circles of 5th and 8ths then you can play in any key and play with pretty much anyone.

I assume you're mainly interested in learning songs. If you're interested in creating your own music and improvisations it'll help to know intervals, chord theory (ridiculously easy just buy a chord book once you understand intervals and spot the differences between chords), scales, and

find Drue James on youtube

How the hell do I play tabs though? I can't read that shit D:

Try learning from Nirvana tabs. Nirvana is a relatively simple band with a noice sound.

I'm not, I'm actually interested in the whole musical thing, even if just as a hobby.

Will do, thanks.

I think it's good to have well-defined goals to make efficient progress. For learning songs you only need the skills of being able to read tabs, recognizing notes on the fretboard to copy other people doing covers, and being able to identify notes and chords by ear. For creating music you need to know intervals, scales, chords, and to a lesser extent the circles of fifths

If you wanna just learn a fuckton of information about the mechanics of music that realistically you'll probably never use you should pick up some high school music theory books

Good point. I should move little by little, then.

Ignore the sheet music and use the music to figure out the rhythm:

youtube.com/watch?v=PVuVHgy-Arg

The song is in drop D tuning which means you tune the thickest string from an E down to a D. On the tab bar the lowest line is the thick E string and the highest line is the thin E string. From bottom to top it's EADGBE. This song is in drop D so it's DADGBE

The numbers on the lines are the frets you need to press down with your fingers. You can take creative liberties with which fingers you use to hold down which frets but you'll learn pretty quickly that some fingers are better to use when transitioning from fret to fret

/ = slide (google it)
horitzontal ) = hammer on or pull off (google it)
any number in parentheses like (6) with an arrow facing up with a fraction or multiplier on it = a bend (google it)

the bar with the two dots at the beginning and end of the staff just means repeat whats on the staff

Look fag just use Marty Schwartz to get started buy yourself a chord book and start learning to read tabs.
Simple.

If you're not understanding the basic premise of reading tabs it's easier than you think. The lines are meant to represent the strings and the numbers represent the frets, it's for people who can't read music.

Guys how do I into speed/power metal riffs? I obsess over my music enough that I fantasize playing like vid related sometimes. I have an acoustic guitar in the closet that I received as a gift, but I only ever played with learning baby's first chords. If someone showed me a clear cut path towards guitar mastery, I have the time to embark as I only work a part-time job. However, I need someone to be honest with me. How many years are we talking for metal riffs? Is it hopeless? I figured I shouldn't bother. Computer science and math are easy enough for me, and I can see where I'm headed down that road and how to achieve success. It's just the music keeps calling, but I don't want to waste my time chasing the siren's call.

More music.

You can be playing metal lead guitar in less than a year if you're properly practicing. A lot of people just aimlessly play the song they learned over and over again and they call that practice; they improve very slowly. You need to intensely focus on what you're doing with your hands, deeply understand your motions, use a metronome, and focus on one habit at a time. If you take it seriously you'll be able to play the music in your vid just fine

Played guitar, bass, and piano/keys/synths for like 20 years. I'm not great. Big gaps in time spent with bigger gaps as I got older.

After you pick up the fundamentals, chromatic scale, open chords, power chords, major and minor scale the best thing to do is play with other people. Unfortunately, musicians are all cocksuckers, so they suck dick. I stopped playing with other people after the last guy I played with refused to tune his instrument or make any effort to write down his chord progressions. The next best thing is to get yourself a little multitrack setup and try writing songs. Put a drum beat down. Play your chord changes over that. Stick a simple root-fifth bass line over that. then noodle around for solos and melody lines. You can learn a lot and have fun playing with yourself. And you don't have to deal with other assholes.

I have 25 years of playing guitar and bass. I'm entirely self taught and I can't really remember how I did it but you don't need much more than three chord shapes to get started. Pick simple music you like and work it out by ear. Nirvana is a good choice as said. It's all sliding F or sliding A. Playing along to records teaches you timing and dynamics without you even realising it and is so much more rewarding than practicing scales like some autist.

The single most important piece of advice you can get is keep the instrument in tune. If you regularly play out of tune you'll get Van Gogh's ear for music.

That pucture is a bass.
Secondly, your best bet is to learn the major and minor scales, play them until your fingers bleed, then learn the modes.

tabs is for fags.
learn songs by using ur ears (unless it was a highly complicated riff/song , then using tab isn't that bad).

When I was a kid my parents started getting me jazz piano lessons when I was like 5 or 6. My teacher was this weird Austrian guy that always worse a leather jacket, he was really strict and fired a lot of of his other students but he was also pretty good. I could read sheet music pretty well in a year and could sit down and play a lot of classical music pretty easy but then he started getting me more into music theory and jazz. After I had to memorize the circle of 8ths and 5ths he would have me practice a piece then when I played it for him he would pace around and shout out keys that I had to switch to. And a lot of the non-standard chords I just couldn't augment on the fly and keep any sort of time. So I quit when I was like 10 because he stressed me out a lot. I probably would've stuck with classical more because it was easier to practice and prepare for.
In hindsight I think the dude was looking for a protege. He played a little like embed related with more synth.

that bassist looks like he has a chromosome too many

it's pretty easy tbh, just get a basic understanding of where the notes are on the neck. a general knowledge of power chords and chords (basically just know what notes sound good with other notes) and screw around. really being a musician has got to be the easiest thing. I'm not sure why people hold it in such high esteem. all you have to do is do it.

I wish I could play piano like that. I'm only good with making cool noises with synthesizers and guitar.

fuck you

I didn't realize it was a bass at the moment I posted it, sorry. I just wanted an OP pic.

jellynote.com/en/

"We are making music learning fun & inspiring thanks to more than 600k free, high quality and interactive sheet music, guitar tabs and lyrics with chords."

Hal Leonard guitar method book 1