Deathstroke Is The Villain In Solo Batman Film (Maybe)

archive.is/HvraT

So, apparently Batfleck just tweeted some clip with Deathstroke walking like a badass, and a Batmobile in the background.

Could be Justice League, though, but I hope not. JL is gonna suck hard, a Batfleck movie actually might not.

Also, Deathstroke is to all intents and purposes a Batman villain now, notwithstanding Arrow which is basically a wannabe Batman show stealing Bat-Villains anyway.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/Lg06s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That's actually pretty cool, not gonna lie. I like the costume. The Arkham design for Deathstroke always looked nice to me. Now we just gotta know who the actor is.

What led you to this conclusion?
Which is fucking stupid because they've met like twice and there is a whole host of other, actual Batman villains they can use

They've already used 4 big villains in Nolan's Trilogy. Penguin, Riddler, Two-Face, Cat Woman, Freeze, and Ivy have all been used. They probably wanna do something fresher to avoid comparisons.

It's not the worst choice. It's actually pretty decent for an introductory film to their version of Batman - since this Batman is a lot more brutal and extreme, you could draw quite a few comparisons between the two. However, there are more Batman-centric they could have picked to highlight this. Plus, I doubt the writing will actually be clever enough to draw those parallels.

Some other details about the film were also confirmed some time ago:
archive.is/Lg06s

Those are the details that I'm most concerned about. Firstly, fuck Geoff Johns. Second, the current trend of DC films being overstuffed seems to be plaguing this film to, given the supposed "many" villains that will be getting screen-time in this film. Third, fuck Geoff Johns. Lastly, the fact that they're trying to make this such an "ultimate" and "definitive" film, and "bringing out the big guns" again also shows that overstuffing coming into play. Seems like they're more concerned with shoving as much as they can to hit every note with potential audiences rather than just simply making a good film, like much like Batman v Superman before it. The people at working on DC films seem to have no restraint or self-control. Makes me wonder if WB even has their hands on the reins or if they and their producers are the ones promoting this pushing for this direction in filmmaking.

Great choice really. This proves that Arkham Origins > Knight

Let's be real the only reason they're using Deathstroke is because of fucking Deadpool movie

I trust in Affleck. He's been in enough shit movies to know what goes into making a good one.

Too bad it's not just a movie version of Batman Odyssey.

Comparisons are going to occur regardless. It reeks more of a "Beware the Batman" situation where they're going to try and market more villains so they can sell more garbage related to them.

Avoiding comparisons or not, this movie is going to be fucking shit. Warner doesn't know what the fuck it's doing, Affleck is too emotionally unstable, and Geoff Johns needs to fall into an open manhole and die. Nothing I have heard so far has inspired any amount of faith in me and I think it's a safe bet to believe this shit is going to be a fucking train-wreck where we'll find the twisted, drug-addled corpse of the DCCU in the wreckage.

Even though we have differing opinions on this, I acknowledge and understand your rage perfectly.

Least we'll hopefully get a good animated Batman movie soon.

Listen, I liked Argo go fuck yourself too, but that was before he fucked the nanny. Now he's fucking desperate to stay on good terms with his kids now that he broke up their family. You have a guy who's now Batman purely for his kids combined with a studio who's really pushing the grim-dark shit, and nothing about that situation fills me with confidence.

This sounds like the kind of movie where the behind the scenes story will be far, far more compelling and dramatic than the movie itself.

Is using Riddeler, Hugo Strange, Calendar Man or even Hush, and turning whole story into crime mystery with some action too much to ask?

They could also make something action heavy that would still keep movie interesting, like Court of Owls.

I think one thing that movies need to get away from, and hopefully this movie achieves, is that EVERY villain has to be treated like a main character. Just have them as characters in the movie, the outlandish outfits don't mean they can't be minor. Like if Riddler had ONE scene in the movie, and it was really good, it would probably be a lot more impactful than forcing his origin and a grand scheme into a movie where you're also doing the origins of several other characters. Sometimes an audience just needs to know the most basic thing about the character, and they fulfill a small but vital part of the story. Like you don't feel overwhelmed if a movie has 20 characters the come in and out of the story around the main characters, but superhero movies almost always have an entire arc that fills the entire movie, because they hired a big name actor who used to do a comic book role as a bit of fun or to be made into a toy. Now that you have people signing multi-movie deals and wanting to be in these at every chance, you can have a decent name actor be Penguin for what are basically several cameos in various movies.

So that is one thing about the whole cinematic universe thing that will hopefully lead to better movies. Also, the overall investment in the films as a group means that you probably can explain less overall because you only need to know what's important in that one movie (though sometimes they will force in absurd stuff to tie things together like in BvS, when just waiting would have been better).

Not because of Teen Titans?

I guess one thing that Marvel has done vaguely right is not smear Thanos's face into ever little fucking moment they can

Sounds like they should do a movie on Arkham serious house on a serious earth. That could work with multiple villains.

Funny you mention that. I had my own idea for a Batman trilogy. The first one would be focusing on him being a bit new at his job. He mostly fights mobsters and later has to investigate the Riddler or Scarecrow. My vision was to take Batman back to his roots as a detective and focus on that and also the grime and muck of Gotham City. I would focus on the city to give some subtle commentary on its socio economics and its mental insanity. A running theme I would have throughout my series is insanity and is Batman just as crazy as his villains.

Batfleck is a decent director, and was easily the best part of BvS.

Granted, it has Geoff Johns in it. Maybe we could get someone to sneak on set and push him off a rooftop or something?

Nigga, Deathstroke's been going up against Batman regularly for at least fifteen years now. Aside from the Teen Titans, Batman's his most common opponent, and even in the Teen Titans, he has the strongest ties to Nightwing out of the whole group, basically being his nemesis. Hell, he was fucking based off Batman to begin with.

Freeze and Ivy both appeared in a shitty film, and they are both superpowered, which would differentiate them from the generic gangsters/assassins in the Nolan films, and the rest of Batman's non-powered rogues' gallery. Hell, Ivy should have been WB's #1 choice, considering that she's an uber-powerful villainess who isn't a sidekick, plus she has shitloads of sexual tension with Batman which would save WB having to cast an obligatory love interest.

That sounds boring as fuck, and we already had a variation of this with Nolan. Time to introduce some of the crazier, outlandish parts of Batman's mythos into film, I'd say.

Fuck that retarded interpretation, it only exists for edgy fanboy writers to pen second-rate TDKR knock-off stories. Not to mention it's just boring.

No he hasn't

A) If they didn't want comparisons to be made they should have held off on rebooting Batman again so soon after the last round of Batman films.

B) The fact that they've used all the really big villains doesn't change the fact that there's still a variety of actual, honest-to-god Batman villains they'd be better off using. I mean, off the top of my head they could use:

-Black Mask
-Clayface
-Hugo Strange
-Wesker and Scarface
-Cluemaster
-Firefly
-Killer Croc
-Man-Bat
-Lady Shiva
-Victor Zsasz

All of whom have far more relevance to Batman than a guy he's fought maybe twice and who is primarily an enemy of Nightwing and the Titans rather than Batman himself

This is a clear indication that Warners don't know what the fuck they're doing

He's fought him six times in direct 1-on-1 fights, and indirectly even more than that. Aside from the Teen Titans and Nightwing, who's Batman's protege, he's fought Batman more times than he has fought anyone else.

They very well may be doing that

1)Indirectly does not count
2) Directly or indirectly, you could probably count on your hands the amount of times Batman and Deathstroke have fought.

Deathstroke is not a fucking Batman villain. He is a poor choice as the villain for a fucking Batman film

He works very well as a Batman villain. He's bigger, a better fighter, smarter, and uses modern and ancient weaponry, and gadgets. He turns all of Batman's usual edges against him, and is one of the few villains to resoundingly beat the snot out of him.

And I mean, do you object to Kingpin being the villain in Daredevil movies and TV because he's a Spider-Man villain?

Now see this has me worried, after Batman v Superman tried to cram so many characters into it

Batman has a million anti-Batmans already, including but not limited to:
-Bane
-Catman
-Prometheus
-Killer Moth
-Wrath
-Bizarro-Batman or Batzarro
-Owlman

Ignoring the fact that Deathstroke is primarily the Titans' villain and trying to set him up as being the anti-Batman completely detracts from his character. It's exactly the kind of wankery I'd expect from the likes of Geoff Johns. That level of wankery that led to him putting Cyborg not only on the Justice League, but as a founding member no less.

Firstly he became Daredevil's primary antagonist in the comics long before they ever adapted Daredevil to TV and Film and secondly, Kingpin's character developed and grew in his role as one of Daredevil's villains. As Spider-Man's villain he was a Sydney Greenstreet rip-off with a trick cane. As Daredevil's he was a genuinely sinister and powerful crime boss.

There's no character development to be had from making Deathstroke Batman's villain because 'He's liek Batman only he's ruffer and tuffer and he can beat the shit out of him'

Honest question - when was the last time Deathstroke officially fought the Titans as a team, instead of just picking on Nightwing, or being a general purpose mercenary-for-hire? Because I can't for the life of me remember any instances beyond the Teen Titans cartoon back in the 2000's.

I honestly think Deathstroke stopped being a Titans villain a long-time ago, and he's now just a wandering villain who fights any superhero whose writer wants to use him.

who else like man of steel and batman versus superman and suicide squad and is really looking forward to future exciting films in the dccu universe

The reason why Deathstroke is the villain I can safely say is a purely because of Geoff Johns.

Johns has been trying to make Deathstroke a thing for years, even though he's a lame villain sue with no real gimmick to make him interesting. He's a shitty rip-off of The Taskmaster, a character created by George Perez the same year he created Deathstroke.

Deathstroke is also the villain because Geoff Johns is obsessed with evil versions of heroes. Nearly all of his work has some direct anti-version of the hero as the major villain. It's only expected now that he has his grubby hands on the movies that he'd start spreading his crappy fanboyism.

Killer Moth is the best anti-Batman.

I liked Man of Steel. I haven't seen the other two.

Exactly the answer I would have given

Exceot for his fashion sense. Did he steal /x/-tan's socks or something?

The 2003 Teen Titans reboot and the 2008 OG Titans reboot. He might've fucked with them more recently as well, I don't know

The Last Arkham?

No. We've seen what happens when they stuff a film full of characters they have no idea what to do with. Passing it off as fanservice would be a mistake.

Geoff Johns is not Kevin Feige.

Isn't he more of a Joe Quesada or Jeph Loeb?

Lew Sayre Schwartz isn't the best of character designers.

Arguably, he's Bendis with either a better batting average or better PR, depending on who you talk to. Which is funny because he did write for Marvel at one point.

Y'know, this thread made think about how well a Riddler/Batman movie would do.

A thriller with the stakes constantly being raised, some potential set-pieces, and a very welcome reduction of scope for superhero movies.

Everything about that screams different, unique, and interesting, so why not do it?

You said it yourself, because it would be
Hollywood can't have that.

Victor Zsasz as the villain would be pretty cool

Guys like Victor Zsasz, Black Mask, and the rest of the thriller detective villains are just that, thriller detective villains, not suited for a super hero movie without completely changing the tone.

Compare them to larger than life guys like Azrael and Man Bat.

You do know that Batman has been fighting mobsters since his inception, right?

I was hoping the answer was less cynical, but I let my naivete get the better of me.

For Batfleck. They were fine for the Dark Knight trilogy

I'd imagine they'd want to differentiate right off the bat (kek), by having a villain never seen in a movie before. Worked for Batman Begins, it seems.

Except they had Riddler in a movie. He was in Batman Forever. If I'm not mistaken he was also in the '66 Batman movie too

Batfleck has to have a super powered opponent or an overwhelming force to fight. Mobsters aren't a threat when he's willing to kill. It'll just be a Punisher movie with a different coat of paint. Sure with Punisher it's cool to see him gun down scumbags but he's a man with limited resources. He'll struggle. Batman has literally unlimited funds to makes weapons of war. It would be too easy for him.

Ok, let's be clear: Batman has totally fought mobsters, gangsters, and criminals. The only problem is we can pretty much assume they would never write them as Batman mobsters, gangsters, and criminals.

Batman's criminal underworld was written up to Batman's level. Crooks Batman faces have adapted to Batman and flourish with their crazy angles on crime. Guys like Dimples Drew and his Crime Olympics, the Renter and his custom weapons leasing operation, or Doctor Hercules' robot robbers. They're criminals that require Batman's intervention to stop. How the hell are the police going to handle a criminal scientist who creates monster bandits that rob banks?

Modern Batman hasn't written normal criminals to that level of threat since 1986. Do you really think some jackass in hollywood would?

I was explaining why they would choose Deathstroke over Riddler

They get Superman

Maybe superhumans should just join the police force instead of dressing up funny and beating people up

wait n/m that's what cops do anyway

feel
the
BURN

I actually was hoping the Batffleck movie would be about the Court of Owls. It would work well with the older and more grizzled version of the character.

But that story had Batman pushed to his limit from an unstoppable force of secret society members with their assassins. Breaking his psyche and body to the point of almost no return. Batfleck is already broken and fucked up.

Not some slightly aged yuppie?

Come again?

Fuck no, that story was retarded as shit, and we never got a proper resolution as to what the hell the Court is. If you want secret societies, the League of Assassins has been the go-to group for years.

Or fuck, just go the whole hog and make a Deus Ex: Batman, where Batman fights the Illuminati. That's what the Court of Owls wanted to be anyway (and failed).

The Tobacconist's Guild gets no love.

Comparisons is only bad if you can't do nothing better then your antecessor.

Here's my take, as a fa/tv/irgin and someone who works in film:

WB needs to give Affleck most of the control, take Geoff Johns out of the equation (won't happen) and let someone who has actually produced something worthwhile take a crack at Batman.

The problem we have right now is that if you look at the scene in BvS where they are hunting Batfleck through the house, that feels very much like Year One. It's almost completely separate in atmosphere from the rest of the film. If they combine that with actual crime thriller and detective work that is more based on IRL stuff, they would do great. Batman being a meathead ninja sliding shit into the computer constantly is a disservice.

I agree with the user who said Poison Ivy should be the main villain; it would contrast well with the Gotham they were depicting in BvS, and if they had (and is supposedly rumored from what I hear) a certain "Hey Kid, want a Toothpick?" director helming it, I think they'd do pretty well.

Not going to happen because that would require effort however.

Anyway, when Batman comes out it'll open to raving reviews. "A total 180 for Warner Bros. and truly shows what WB promised us years ago in a small Comic-Con room, but also how Affleck may be the defining Batman we have been waiting for".

Anyway, with them revealing Deathstroke it won't happen. They'll piss on an Arkham plot just like they pissed on the The Dark Knight Returns elements in BvS.

You mean every single Batman arc since 1990?

Not every arc. Just most of them.

I thought every Batman arc since 1990 was Bruce learning the hard way that he needs to rely on his family instead of being an anti-social idiot.

Why can't we just get a comic to film adaption of The Dark Knight Returns? Is that so hard?

That couldn't turn out any way but hilarious.

We already have an animated one. It doesn't need a live action version.

I'd argue we didn't need the animated version either.

They should just make their own shit.

Besides they already kinda tried with BvS