Thinkpad thread

Why isn't there a damn Thinkpad thread? I just ordered another one and I'm gonna need somewhere to post about it and ask about buying more Thinkpads!

Are any newer Thinkpads even 1/10th less shitty than everything else? Not that I'd buy one or anything.

Whatcha running on Holla Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

wikidevi.com/wiki/Bigfoot_Networks_Killer_Wireless-N_1103
tldp.org/HOWTO//Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/
coreboot.org/Binary_situation
libreboot.org/faq/#intel
bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-14-laptop-with-mini-dock-intel-core-i5-2520m-320gb-hdd-4gb-ram-ref-english-t420/10383282.aspx
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob#Acceptance
crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop
dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra
reddit.com/user/nkwsky
ja.axxs.net/
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models
tomsick.net/misc/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-review.html
tomsick.net/misc/lenovo-thinkpad-t420-review.html
hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T420-14-1-LAPTOP-i5-2nd-Gen-2-5GHz-NEW-RAM-HDD-Win7-Pro-/322317988003?var=&hash=item4b0ba630a3:m:muF4BMcUuUo5Q9CNB3EkTEg
libreboot.org/gnu/
openbsd.org/armv7.html
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X220
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460p-Core-i7-GeForce-940MX-Notebook-Review.163699.0.html
notebookreview.com/review/aluratek-usb-3-0-expresscard-review/
pastebin.com/KzX8vS4s
youtube.com/watch?v=Fzmm87oVQ6c
ebay.com/itm/252729228098
coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x200
libreboot.org/docs/install/
forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=69539
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

x200s and soon x61s. Lovely things.

I just want smooth video playback dammit!
How about you OP?

I have an early X60 with no Lenovo branding on it. Installed libreboot successfully, but I think the wifi is fucked even with an approved chip. I don't know, I never have the motivation to properly teach myself how to guhnoo/linux.

I use laptops that don't put Windows malware and wifi card DRM in their BIOS :^)

Thinkpad Retro soon(tm) my friends. I really hope that the Retro actually goes back to the high compatability with free software that old Thinkpads had and isn't just a nu-laptop in a good case.

It will be completely aesthetic and nothing more.

My army:
T61 14.1" -test machine
T61 15.4" -GF's machine
X61s 12" -GF's machine
R61i 15.4" -boss nigger media, LAN maintenance
R31 14" -drydock
T41 14" -drydock
T43 14" -drydock
R60 14" -field ops
T60p 15" -daily driver
I have zero interest in anything newer than T61.

Debian based shitro detected.
Use a distro that ships a non-gimped kernel mang.

x200. I went cheap and bought a Chinese battery, which holds ~30 minutes of charge. Where can I buy a OEM battery?

eBay nig.

x250 user here. They are definitely less shitty than other computers.

x200 with dock
x60s removed screen and using with ibm monitor
r31

I really like my x200 and want to get another.
(old picture as well, now running Debian with i3 on the x200)

HOw do you not have 10 women crawling on your jock?
Das sexy.

If you're of the nostalgic bent, there's this Chinese mod by 51nb of the X61. The reliability of such a retro-fit is questionable, but it's ready to go out of the box.

Life is suffering.

Because this isn't (or wasn't) /g/

I Recently bought a Thinkpad T420S, and holy shit, I'm fucking in love with it. Thanks guys for suggesting a Thinkpad.

not thinkpad, got thinkcentre m58p, upgraded

I have a T60p with a UXGA screen that is my pride and joy. However most of the time I use my T420 with an external monitor.

I'm waiting to find a cheap/damaged T60 from which I can scavange a motherboard with an intel GPU so that I can install libreboot.

I got my t420 from ebay and did the following.
• replace stock battery with 3rd party 9-cell
• replaced CD/DVD drive with HDD bay adapter and a 500Gb HDD I had lying around
• upgraded ram to 8GB (ram came from broken HP laptop)
• running two SSDs (one sata and one m.sata)

I have ubuntu mate running on it. I run windows 7 pro on virtual machine if I need it. Sad that most of lenovo's recent thinkpads are trying to copy apple.

I love that my x201t gave me access to on screen drawing without having to invest in an overpriced cintq
If only it was powerful enough to handle high res shit. Still, it's nice for sketching concepts

Next you are going to tell me that you also wear a track suit.

nope i dont like track suits

who /free/ here?

I don't use mine as daily drivers, nor do I care about owning a libre model. I used to have a T21 and T22 but sold them after Thinkpads started to skyrocket in value. Here is what I still have:

Thinkpad 380ED
Pentium MMX, 166MHz
Neomagic MagicGraph128ZV 1MB
16MB EDO RAM
2.1GB HDD w/ Windows 95
3.5" FDD & CD-ROM

It's in decent conditon and has standard wear and tear. The fuckwad who owned it before broke off the two latches that keep the lid shut. Due to the screen's weight it still stays closed but it's a minor annoyance from a collector's standpoint.

Thinkpad 360Cs (Pictured)
Intel 486SX, 33MHz
1MB graphic chip, unknown brand
4MB EDO RAM
340MB HDD
MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 3.1
3.5" FDD

This one is in worse condition, I received it with a major crack on the bottom right corner, broken/missing door ports and a few dead pixels on the screen. I held onto it because of it's interesting mouse button design. This one is far down my project list so I doubt I'll be getting to it anytime soon. Last time I got it out it wouldn't even display anything on the LCD nor via external VGA. On the upside I got an original IBM branded carrying case with it.

Won a T440s auction and put an IPS screen in it. I have no use for it so I gave it to me mum after setting it up.

x200 owner here. Anyone ever hear of someone removing the trackpad on a x220 to make it more like a x200? Would you need a custom palm rest or could you take one off a older model? I know I could disable the trackpad but I want to be a special snowflake.

What you guys think of the P50 workstation thinkpads? I haven't seen one in person, but the specs you can build are amazing.

Im free as fuck as well on my X60, I have the Ayylmao Wifi Card that has 3 Antennas and is fast as a motherfucker.

wikidevi.com/wiki/Bigfoot_Networks_Killer_Wireless-N_1103

Also got it on ebay for only 20 bucks

How do you know that there isn't a key thief in your HDD?

Not so free now, are you?

I'll be surprised if anyone here can tell you he's even seen one irl

Just don't kid yourself into thinking your stack is more secure from intrusion or surveillance because it's GPL from top to bottom.
Your freedom could depend on it.

I have two X200 systems with Libreboot, and an X200T that is awaiting some soldering for Libreboot. Or probably Coreboot now thanks to the recent hissyfit. The older X200 still works but looks a little beat up, has a broken keyboard light, and the screen sometimes turns to scrambled eggs and needs the edge squeezed.

What piece of crap did you get? The "as-is" battery one one of my X200 systems has about that while the Chinese one is at least 2 hours, more depending on what I'm doing. It sticks out the back a bit admittedly.

Unfortunately that'll be botnet. I approve of the physical design though.

And you HAD to make one, right?

I'm wondering if the older Thinkpads under the IBM brand are alright for use now-a-days. I use a Dell Latitude which was designed to be a clone of the IBM Thinkpad, and it runs pretty well for what I do on it, but I am tempted to get a newer one.

Also, for all that have never heard of it, ESR maintains something called The UNIX Hardware Buying Guide, which has a nice small section on Laptops in it.

tldp.org/HOWTO//Unix-Hardware-Buyer-HOWTO/

I got a x120e that I don't use anymore after getting a T430. How should I put it to use?

It depends on what you mean by 'IBM brand' Lenovo took over the Thinkpad line in 2006 but contiuned to use the IBM brand for a number of years while the laptops were still made to IBM spec. The T61 is the last with IBM logos and is very usable today with a 3rd gen C2D.

If you want an actual IBM-made machine, then the latest is the T42, which has a Pentium M. Unless all you do is edit text I would say that it's not powerful enough for general use today.

Don't bother. Linux is a joke.
Use BSD.

How much more of a botnet is i7 compare to i3 and i5? Aren't they the same Jewtel Aviv botnet?
I am confused here friendo

Every intel CPU made after 2008 is irreparably compromised.
That includes all of the i-series.

libreboot.org/faq/#intel

All mobile i7 systems are past the point of no return. Obviously prior systems could have backdoor features but until it's feasable to make your own hardware, you won't be able to change that on any system.

I agree with this. I wish BSD had more software but it's fantastic. Slackware is the only Linux worth using in my opinion. Also would you or anyone else know if OpenBSD will load 3rd party proprietary firmware when loaded on a Libreboot machine? Is LibertyBSD worth using?

This is kind of true. IBM never manufactured Thinkpads. They only designed them. Lenovo has always manufactured them since 1993 when they were invented. The T61 is the last one made to IBM design specifications so that's the one that matters.

looking to buy an X200T
anything to beware or note?

Slackware is just Gentoo for faggots.

I found mine in a flea market six months ago.
Put in an SSD and more RAM and ordered a new battery, it has very passable performance now - but that's not my primary reason to use it.

The tablet functionality's also nice, but really the main reason is how much I love the physical aspect of this thing - it's fucking beautiful. It's great to type on.

They're both very traditional distros but for much, much different purposes. Slackware is meant to be a UNIX workstation while Gentoo is made for extreme customization and exotic CPUs
What makes you draw such a ludicrous comparison? I think a better comparison is Arch being Gentoo for tryhard shitters.

How are these exclusive?
The main point of both these distros is customizability and stability (as in don't change everything everytime). Meanwhile, Portage lets you do it everything you could do on Slackware without as much pain. I used both and I don't see any point to use Slackware especially when Crux and now Alpine are better bloat/complexity wise.

Slackware is meant to have fucking EVERYTHING there out of the box with no bullshit. It's a loaded rich kid's sandbox with all sorts of cool toys you can choose to use or not use. It really depends on your usage case but it's really the last "normal" distro left.

fuarrrrrrrkkkk

is there any cpu thats not stone age that are safe to use?

There is hope in the upcoming risc-v cpus

Didn't think RISC-V was going to offer much power.

Laptops/notebooks whatever are garbage for anything except people that live in airports.

Get a desktop with a nearly decade old server Xeon and you're golden

Finally got my T60 in the mail. It's really comfy and solid as a goddamned rock.

Posting next to my X220.

If you truly want one, they're $700 or half that for just the mobo. That's not really an eye-watering price for a notebook.

Are those parts even reliable? How hard would it be to install into an X60 manually?

Money is no issue, but where do you get/source them from?
I have no clue where to look.

is there any 3rd party 9-cell battery that works with the T430?

I agree with this, however portable computing is a necessity for many people. Laptops should be treated as an accessory to a desktop. Thinkpads just so happen to be very nice. I use mine for school and I use it on the bus to get shit done so I don't waste time by just sitting there. Also a nice comfy machine for IRC/Holla Forums when I'm like super duper tired or in the living room with my family and I'm not interested with the awful fucking ads and shit when trying to watch baseball or something.

X201 daily driver. Upgraded from a T61 (had the mobo replaced after the nvidia one shit the bed). I'd like to get an X200 and libreboot that one as a daily driver, and keep the X201 for anything pozzed should I need it.

I know you can just swap an x201 trackpad/faceplate with the x200's and it would be fine. No idea otherwise.

The website in the pic of the laptop, or the name of the company the guy mentioned in his post.

For the librebooted X200, is there coil whine when on battery? I mean more than usual. Have you docked the X200? Everything works?

Is this a good enough deal for a thinkpad t420?
bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lenovo-lenovo-thinkpad-t420-14-laptop-with-mini-dock-intel-core-i5-2520m-320gb-hdd-4gb-ram-ref-english-t420/10383282.aspx

How can I make the battery for my x200 less shit? I'm looking into a 9-cell but even then apparently they only last 6 hours?

Terrible, you can get them for half that price on Ebay. 1366 is also a horrible resolution, make sure you get 1600x900.

Not that I've noticed. I probably would've, my 3DS charger emits a faint high-pitched whistle.

Not actually sure where you can get good batteries for them, not anymore. Depending on what you want to do you can try using conservative CPU throttling or reducing the backlight.

That depends what you need to do. I'm quite happy with laptops only.

I have a Librebooted X60 Running Trisquel. Freedom is comfy.

see

I'm using a T420 with Manjaro and a text-only Void install at the moment. Either it shipped with a 1600x900 screen or the previous owner installed one himself, In any case, it's a breeze after years of 1366x768.

Try mpv.

Very much this. I trust OpenBSD more out of the box even with some nonfree firmware over Trisquel out of the box (not to say you can't make Trisqeul equally secure)

T420. The dock is really convenient, to the point that I've packed up my desktop and just use the laptop. It's easy to sit down and get down to business without plugging wires in.
I've been thinking of getting a spare X60/T420 keyboard and making it into a PC keyboard. I know Lenovo used to have something like that but it's expensive. Google hasn't been any help, because the closest thing i could find was an adapter that isn't in production anymore. Has anyone ever hooked up a Thinkpad keyboard to a PC?

i5 is a big no-no

Excuse my ignorance, I'm a Linux-only pleb, but I thought OpenBSD was all about clean, auditable code. What's this about nonfree firmware?

Second paragraph

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_blob#Acceptance

So I tried bringing my x60 SXGA+ outside today only to find it totally sucks balls. I've read that the XGA has better outdoor viewing and multitouch (finger AND pen, which is huge for me). Can anyone confirm?

Might be listing my SXGA+ on eBay/CL today if so.

I got an X200T with the ultra-base for 200$

Was that a good deal?
Just wondering.

Fair, if the condition of the plastic/screen is good.

Oh, and the cycles the battery has gone through.
A good deal would've been $135-$150.

Fn+Home

Lol yes I had the brightness on max, friendo. Still couldn't see shit without squinting and straining. It was doable, but after a little bit I just gave up.

It's whatever though, that's what ereaders are for anyway.

I'm totally not going with the x60 XGA since apparently you get far less screen real estate with the lowered resolution..

What are some cool things I can do to mod my x60 and make it all special?

Any tips that you would recommend?

got a couple of questions for you fags

i had a weird issue with my t420 where mouse presses are held and pressed randomly, rendering the machine useless. disabling the trackpad via fn didnt solve it, but when i disconnected the trackpad at the board it solved the issue. anyone have any idea why the latter solved it but not the former?

can i safely plug the trackpad back in while the machines still running?

also why are touchpads such fragile pieces of shit? this is the second time ive had issues with a trackpad fucking a machine just because it got a teensy bit of water on it, my last elitebook wouldnt even boot because of it. that said, my x201 is still going strong.

"I have zero interest in anything newer than T61."
same here. i use that T61p almost all the time.
T60 for the work
X61 tablet for drawings and mobility
600X for the retro vibe of it.

Aren't these models a bit too slow to run 1080p video, or for heavy web browsing?

Such as... ?

Something doesn't add up, unless GF = Guy Friend.

Most corps run laptop only. You dock it at work to monitors and a keyboard. Your thinking is from 2005.

Also meditate while you are on the bus instead of doing half ass work trying to be productive. Stop watching baseball, it is a sport for the terminally dull.

Not with a light distro

i answered on motherboard

working on reviving a 600e right now. its very hard without an ethurnet port. suggestions?

PCMCIA ethernet card

ARM, Power, RISC-V.

ppc64el isn't being dropped by Debian despite the big endian port being dropped.

If you want a high end fast and free computer for doing work on:
crowdsupply.com/raptor-computing-systems/talos-secure-workstation

If you don't mind something that's slower/lower end but don't have a few grand lying around to blow:
crowdsupply.com/eoma68/micro-desktop

There's also the Pyra which is aiming to be a mostly free (free CPU, blobbed GPU) UMPC.
dragonbox.de/en/45-pyra

Otherwise your best bet is a X60 due to Libreboot/Coreboot being flashable without disassembling the laptop and using a hardware flasher. If you don't mind hardware flashing, a X200, T400, or R400 will work too.

Get a 3com Ethernet PCMCIA card on eBay. They have drivers for any old OS.

This guy's the middleman: reddit.com/user/nkwsky

Oh yes! Thanks alot mate :)

Hello guys, i have a no bios t420, i want to use it, can i use the ezp2013 bios programmer to write a bios to the desoldered chip? Or should i use an eeprom programmer with a pomona clip? I think the model of the piece that i have to write the bios on is MX25L6406E, is this correct? It doesnt even get to POST Thanks guys.

Shit. Wouldn't it be time better spent to just get a replacement motherboard off ebay?

Over the years I've heard about Lenovo doing shady things like having the BIOS/UEFI install software on your hard drive without your knowledge. What year did this start and what models are safe from that shit?

Can you post the wallpaper from the 600X?

5 seconds on bing

Can i put coreboot on a new motherboard and add my nvidia gpu to it and the i7 processor that i have?

I think i can get a preprogrammed chip off ebay, is this a good idea?

Chinese SoC, yeah very secure.

Pretty sure coreboot doesn't work on a T420.

The BIOS on Thinkpads is not composed of just one chip. It's complicated by another chip that stores complimentary info to the BIOS. If you're a newb to EPROM programmers, you're better off just replacing the board from a salvaged machine. Sometimes on ebay you can find "for parts" laptops that are cheaper than a bare motherboard.
If you're a newb but willing to learn, you've got a lot of reading to do before you should spend any money.
Start here:ja.axxs.net/
Another thing is: how the fuck do you know your BIOS is dead and not the entire board? So it doesn't POST....maybe the power circuitry is fried. Maybe any number of things is happening. Don't get me wrong, I applaud repair/DIY solutions, but I get the impression you don't know what you're doing really.

Aren't there any x200 w/ P8800 available anymore? I can only find offers with the P8600 and rarely P8700.

That looks comfy as fuck.

Ok, i think i understand, i will look for a replacement motherboard then.

Thanks.

I found a motherboard for the t420 with an i5 it will work just by creplacing it?

If you've never taken apart a Thinkpad, I can tell you it's doable if you have any small amount of handyman abilities. Doing things like replacing or cleaning the fan are pretty easy. Replacing the mobo is a few-to-several hour job though. The main thing is to keep all the parts and pieces very very organized. You should take pictures as you go on your first effort, especially if you can't complete the operation in one go.
If you do it right, yes, it will just work to swap out the motherboard.

My main computer is a T60 running OpenBSD. I have an X201i and an X60 in my closet.

The X201i is pozzed garbage, like anything new is. The X60 is whatever.

I like my T60 a lot. 1024x768 screen. Put a small SSD in it. 2GB of RAM. Runs OpenBSD perfectly, obviously. There are good 3rd party batteries available for it.

It has been to hell and back. The case is full of dents and scratches. There are several cracks on the plastic pieces. Some of the keys require a harder push sometimes. One part of the keyboard has a bad cigarette burn, from when my cherry got knocked off in high winds.

These old thinkpads are the last computers worth owning, in my opinion. Everything else is cheap shit with compromised hardware.

Yes, they lack the hardware decoders for the various codecs. I guarantee that he just watches SD videos encoded in mpeg2.

Nice quads for a roodypoo.
Actually the T60p has an ATI FireGL V5250 and under Slackware it runs DVD quality video just fine. Hardware-decoded or not it's smooth af. I'm not a videofag, so 1080p=whatever. I have a HTPC for that. But the T60p plays anything I've thrown at it.

Don't cry too hard bro.
Your day will come.

Which is SD mpeg2 video. So my claim was 100% correct.
Thank you for confirming.

It's a fat man

Two dykes?

Why are these laptops considered sacred by you guys?

I want to get one now and teach myself coding on it.

Any good resources on thinkpads that can help a newbie out?

They're built well and have good keyboards

Why? What's wrong with your current machine?

It's a Macbook and everyone here hates Macs for some reason. Plus I want a well decently priced laptop with Windows 7 and create a partition to put Linux on it.

Any good Thinkpad models you recommend?

Bad on you for caring what some autistic neckbeards think of your computer.

Macbooks aren't bad, only overexpensive. You can install Linux on them and, I think, Windows as well.

I really dislike Macs from a hardware standpoint. Replacing batteries, hard drives, RAM, and other parts is (to my knowledge) almost impossible. Even opening the case for regular dusting is probably more trouble than it is worth.

Thinkpads, on the other hand, are designed to be opened up and serviced. Replacement parts are readily available, even for older models. Assembly and disassembly is officially documented.

You think that just replacing normie parts is bad? Apple specifically tries to make motherboard repair as difficult as possible so that they can overcharge you at an Apple (C) Apple Store (TM)
In one instance, I believe someone even had an app removed from the app store because of repairing apple machines.

I wouldn't buy a Macbook, but there's no reason you can't learn to program on one. OSX is POSIX-compliant, and like said, you can install Linux if you need to.

Macs are just STUPIDLY overpriced. Its about 1,2k dollars for what? An Intel m5, 8GBs of DDR4 and Iris Graphics?

I just bought a laptop with 12GBs of DDR4, a GTX 970m and an Intel Skylake i7 for slightly less. The build quality is solid and so is OSX, but I think most of the hate for Macs here come from the absurdly marked up value for sub-par components just because it has an Apple logo and an all aluminium chasis

r8 my stickers

You sound like a true, honest to heart, motherfucking PATRIOT user, I would buy you a drink anyday God damn

I would pay for you to leave my general vicinity.

(checked)

Looking for a thinkpad actually! I plan on installing Gentoo or Debian (whatever I really prefer. I had gentoo laptop on my deadtop but Debian on my desktop).

I'm stuck between the x220 or the t420 / t450.

thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:Models

tomsick.net/misc/lenovo-thinkpad-t410-review.html

Don't worry, he probably doesn't leave his room for long periods of time.

Thanks user. Right back at ya.

Some people have obligations user.

Cry some more nerd.

Obligatory info. Thanks user!

OSX is pretty good for programming user. You don't need to buy a new laptop for it.

Yall talk a good thinkpad game but dont really bring anything real afterwards besides the ones you own.

Why do you like it? What makes it so special? Can it handle basic modern functionality like video streaming and html5 sites?

Not that I watch anything over 720 but I doubt that 1080 plays crisp on these machines while streamed, probably even as a local file as well.

Why do I even listen to you posers in the first place?

Forgot to mention, obviously I'd use it for basic programming but if I cant watch muh xhamster and listen to muh music with muh 15 tabs open then I'm just gonna stick to my mac.

Not mad, just dont see the point of dropping dosh for status machines that only other virgins would recognize which is funny cause I dont take my laptops out with me for walks in public so your all fucking gay as hell.

Then buy a desktop, you fucking retard

Not having a T60 is suffering.

So are you both girls?

Are X220 stocks drying up? ebay doesn't have many under $200

They're well built, comfy, and have great support for GNU/Linux and the BSDs, among other alternative operating systems. Eat a big black cock.

I don't like my X220. I bought a T60 since and haven't been happier. I hear X200s are good.

Why not, Adolf?

Anyone programming on fucking OSX needs to be shot.

It just doesn't feel like it's built as well. Also I hate 16:9

What's wrong with programming on OSX? I don't own a Mac so I don't know.

It's about freedom more than about copyleft. Stallman considers OpenBSD free if you take out the proprietary microcode and you're careful with ports.

I just bought an x220 guys.. It should get here in a week or so..

hardenedlinux.org/firmware/2016/11/17/neutralize_ME_firmware_on_sandybridge_and_ivybridge.html
You'll be fine.

Stallman can go and suck a dick.

Wow rude

x200. Modded it with an AFFS screen which is pretty nice.

I want to flash libreboot at some point.

I got a 9 cell on ebay for about 70 quid, I get 9 hours of battery life which is pretty good.

What software do you need that does not work on *BSD?
No proprietary firmware will be loaded. LibretyBSD is cancer, don't use it.

How can you tell how clean code you don't have is? How can you audit it?

The newer thinkpads are still good, as long as you stay within the original series (x2X0, T4X0, ect).

i own x201 with dock and its cool but too small

go for t430 or t430s?

t430

t430s

both same price 238$, 1600x900
can i put my gobi2000 from x201 in it?

I'd go with a t420 or t420s since they're the last "old" thinkpads. However, I'm pretty sure there is a way to mod the t430 to take t420 keyboards

Opinions on t500 and x220's (i7)?

Eyy, i got a 380ED too
But with the 1.25mb vram chip and 48mb of ram

Otherwise in the pic is an r52, x41t, r30, g40 and t42

So I got my x220 off of newegg and it already had an account loaded but I want to reimage it. I tried to do it through F12 but it wasn't showing me the options that was listed on Lenovos website for resetting your thinkpad.

Best way to reimage thinkpads?

Are thinkpads modern hardware, or do you just accept that when you buy one you'll have to take a hit on how much performance intensive stuff you can do?

Depends what you buy. The most common models like the t400-t430 have their limits, but are still decently powerful machines that can handle high res video and light gaming
Older models like the t60/61 are near that point where their funcctionality is limited to web browsing
And old models like the t42 are pretty much just shitposting and old gaming machines
Much newer ones step out of the thinkpad ideology because they get expensive, but they stand with every other high spec laptop capable of modern intensive tasks

If you have 3 grand lying around you can get a new mobile workstation build with an e5 xeon and i think quadro m4000 graphics, up to 64gb of ram, etc

New Thinkpads were always expensive. The issue with the current new ones is their crummy keyboards and general inferiority in design. Also the freedom issues got worse and worse, some of the most recent ones don't let you touch the BIOS, period.

Also fun fact, we had a bunch of uni students in our area recently doing surveying-type stuff, and their ground radar was hooked up to an IBM Thinkpad. Kinda cool to see, although the screen does not read well in the sun.

The only stickers on mine are the Intel and Windows Vista ones that were on there to begin with. It's running Libreboot so it's as a joke.

You'll get faster easily, but they're fine for general tasks, and are well built.

i dont think the new ones are really too bad, the bios shit is shady and i dont like being restricted on a computer but theyre still decently built laptops and serve their purpose just the same as the previous generations

then again, i dont really understand or care about keyboard layouts, i can understand it being annoying to some people, but i switch between my t42's keyboard, an old IBM KB series mechanical, and a chromebook's weird keyboard with the function keys changed

also, semi related, this is my T42, im trying to run DESI-III cad in dosbox, i can get to the edit drawing menu, but then i cant move the mouse off of one or two options to press "ok" or rename the file
does anyone think it would be an issue with the mouse, or am i just not using the right keys, or what

tab, backspace, arrow keys dont do anything but move me between options

My T61p doesn't work anymore. Well sometimes it boots, but after a while the screen goes crazy (can't read it anymore), but I can still do stuff over ssh from another machine. But after a while, even ssh session freezes and can't connect to it anymore.
This is a Lenovo, but one of the earlier ones, I guess. The keyboard is nice, except for having Windows key. Screen is 16:10, so not ideal but still better than almost every current laptop.

where can i buy an X220 motherboard that won't cost an arm and a leg to ship to New Zealand?

the red thing on my thinkpad came out. how I put it back in?

I'm running a P50 dual booting Win10 (SATA) and Arch (NVMe). Both OSes run really fucking well. The only issue I've had is that sound quality and battery life are better on the Windows drivers, so if I'm just doing a standard SSH+browsing+media session I'll stick with Windows, but the Linux install exists for getting shit done with the ability to run a swarm of VMs at once or use make -j to eat up all that CPU and RAM.

install Slackware.

The trackpoint? You just push it back on.

Those are traps, clearly

Wanted to order a P50 from Lenovo's website while everything is cheap. Does anybody own one?

Posting from it now. I have the version with an i7 and 1080p screen. The keyboard is great to type on even if visually it still looks chiclety. Rebind capslock to control and even Emacs is usable for long periods of time.

I dont like the new Lenovo Thinkpads

Nobody does

I like the new Lenovo Thinkpads. I have x240 and a P40 Yoga. They're great Linux machines.

What desktop environment do you guys use? I tried arch with xfce on my T420s but I had shit battery life, would using lxde or something be better?

I was using arch on my X220, but it would not wake up from lid closing and just hang, no mater what I did. Installed Ubuntu minimal base and just built an i3-gaps on top.

Main power drain is the wifi, screen and cpu. Smaller wm might help, but not as much as you would think. Try i3, takes a bit of setting up though.

I'm hyped to buy one of these now. I am thinking of getting an T420 for some light gog gaming, chan browsing and programming. What should i look out for when buying a used one on ebay? Is this any good?

ebay.co.uk/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-T420-14-1-LAPTOP-i5-2nd-Gen-2-5GHz-NEW-RAM-HDD-Win7-Pro-/322317988003?var=&hash=item4b0ba630a3:m:muF4BMcUuUo5Q9CNB3EkTEg

Very little you can do buying it from ebay, it's a gamble. If/when you get it check the vents, if they are dusty any refurbishment has not been very good and you may need to clean the fan yourself. Check rubber feet, if they are nasty you got a machine that has not been cared for and not cleaned well. Check for loose keyboard, so many sellers do not clip them back in right. Leaving the lower half to be wobbly when typing. If it's shiny where the hands rest it's been used a LOT. If battery comes dead or near dead nothing you can do, they are considered consumables.

I got my second X200 system from a seller that deals in ex-business stuff, and had a few in stock. It's in good condition and even had a working keyboard light.

What in your opinion is the most secure Thinkpad? I've heard that the X60 can be fully opened, but a locked BIOS is a major problem.

Help?

Most of the autismos use the X60 with libreboot. I think the X220 is supported now but I'm not sure.

This one, or other model from same era. You're looking at 80386 or 80486 cpu, and up to 16 MB RAM. Plenty good enough for DOS.

X220 only has Coreboot because of the problems with more recent Intel systems. Even with the breakthrough of killing Intel ME on later systems there's the FSP and other blobs.

Snowpad

destroy your cat first

cats are replaceable and plentyful, old thinkpads not

Here in the UK there has never been an amazing supply of old thinkpads like the US. But it seems harder now to find good examples than ever. There are a few sellers on Amazon right now advertising T60s, but sending out X61s instead, and when you argue with them they claim it was a free upgrade.

Holy fuck that is cool. Did you just had it snow over it?

Great job

what linux distro would u use on this one user?

At least they are still business laptops with a matte display, relatively rugged, and they are highly modular, and pieces are relatively easy to find and replace.

what is the third antenna jack plugged to? Those laptops only come with 2 antennas

The faster CPU and extra RAM is tempting, but I can't cheat on my X60T yet. Downgrading that tiny 1450x1050 screen is something that I can't entertain

The thing about old laptops like in pic (that's a 700 series?) is they all had nice keyboards and solid build. You don't have to go for Thinkpad exclusively for something that old. It's only later on that most laptop design became junk (and now they all are).

How do you do this? Remove the lid and chassis and painting it with some plastic paint? Tell me your secrets.

I'm sorry if this is an idiotic question, but I appreciate your input - does a refurbished X201 at 240$ sound reasonable? (i5, 4gb)
It's from some faggy eco-green-community-involved company which recycles electronics to be friends with the environment or something. Not sure what it says about their reliability.

I guess it's reasonable, but not a deal. Offer them $160 and haggle your way up to $200.

Sadly they're not the kind of place I can haggle with. I don't live in one of the anglosphere states, and that's the cheapest I've found a refurbished x201 at yet.
Buying through amazon or ebay is another risk, and my state will fuck me with taxes
thanks for the advice user

I'm going to add a few things here.

I see some people asking/bitching about batteries. I've bought good 3rd party batteries for my thinkpads from a place called Kahlon. Great prices, great service.

Breaking open the battery case and installing new cells is also an option, if you have the skills.

There are generic external batteries that you can plug into your laptop. This might become necessary for some with very old thinkpads.

I've gotten really great deals on old thinkpads off ebay. If you can find one that is missing the hard drive it will cut the price down substantially. Same goes for missing AC adaptors and dead batteries.

Make sure that the bios does not have a password set. Make sure that it boots up without errors.

Look for postings with an actual picture of the laptop you will receive, always avoid listings with stock photos. Look for sellers that seem to specialize in selling old hardware.

Don't buy anything other than Intel graphics. The ATI gpu's have a history of dying.

Is this.. a shill?

No, it's common sense. Those sellers know what they're selling and are more than able to answer any inquiries you have. You don't buy tech from some rando who doesn't even know what a BIOS is.

So, you're implying I should buy from people who know what they're selling?

That's a ticket for getting kiked.

I plan on buying buying an X60 in a few weeks, but I honestly don't know which sites are good sellers and whether I should get one used or refurbished. I know that buying brand new ones is overpriced and getting one with a locked BIOS is asking for trouble, but when it comes to deciding whether getting Used or Refurbished, I am stumped.

Any help?

Refurbished just means that it's been serviced and cleaned up. Unfortunately that rarely extends to the battery, they'll usually be as-is (read: dead or nearly dead).

Say that to my face you S.O.B.

Michael Jackson Thinkpad! I'm really digging the colouration though, good work.

I haven't heard that. Still rocking a T60p from 2006.
nVidia otoh, do have a history of melting themselves off the PCP.
Any nVidia Thinkpad made during or after Aug 2008 is OK though.

Sure kid. Go shop on Amazon then.

What are some good websites for buying old Thinkpads from?

eBay

Exactly. Don't bother with sites like thinkpads.com, they will kike you with their prices.

Don't believe , he is a butthurt TP.com user.

He probably ment the T4x models with flexy motherboards causing all sorts of weirdness, ATI GPU failure included.

Also see this: www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Known_Problems

Niggers i'll say it like it is, i want a new laptop. I know that everything is shit but my T420 is too slow for what i need it to do. I want a brand new top of the fucking line CPU and M.2 SSDs. What is there to buy? How shit are the new Thinkpads? Is the quality difference between Thinkpads and non-Thinkpads still worth the price gap? What else is in the market?

Gonna get a t60 for Christmas. I have to ask: why should I learn about programming and compsci?

I have T500. It is solid and libreboot compatible.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
ADD and ADHD are demonstrably real and medications like adderal and ritalin are very effective at treating them. There has been tons of research worldwide proving this.

The issue is that it is over-diagnosed and, at times, misdiagnosed because the symptoms can be very, very similar to other psychiatric disorders like bipolar disorder, autism, depression and anxiety.

so hows your sex life

Wish some company would give us a new release with the proper red-coat.

I was considering this guy for awhile, but I got enough revos.

definitely! love to lick sweaty armpits. and ripe arseholes and cheesy dicks and sweat. natural man smells, in other words.

What the fuck is going on in this thread

an alternative to good music

I dunno how it works where you are, but generally an unprompted contact will have a affiliate or two either run by your home or otherwise meet with you for a chat, just to get to know.

This sort of thing can be awkward if you're a sphaghettilord, hence my recommendation here for making first contact. It 'gets your foot in the door' more reliably.

If you know people in the group, just ask them.

You are correct. Which is why we use the word "paranormal" and not "supernatural". It is not beyond the natural. It is beyond the normal.

No one is purporting that paranormal occurrences are a violation of logic. They are claiming that something different from what we understand happened. And, that's not illogical. The illogical thing is to assume that we understand everything about the universe.

libreboot.org/gnu/

Come on you faggots? Why would you want to use software made by a retard like that?

Im not using a thinkpad for those reasons, i want a servicable laptop in an ocean of literal garbage. Recommend a good laptop.

Nobody makes them anymore. Get an old laptop from 10+ years ago, or build your own.
Personally I'm done with laptops. After this one dies, I'm just going to build small desktop, like one of these:
openbsd.org/armv7.html
I don't care about 3D graphics, GPU, and other fancy shit, so even using VESA X server to get blob-free system is fine.

I really don't care who maintains Libreboot. Hillary Clinton and John Podesta themselves could be the lead developers and it wouldn't bother me at all. What I do care is that the Libreboot is free software. As long as this is true, then I can always invest my resources into fixing the copy I have into software that I need.

I feel ya. But how will you be able to interbutt on the couch while your GF watches Dead Like Me re-runs?

...see:

Free software and open source does not imply that our software is inherently perfect (according to any metric). The philosophy of free software is all about the question of control: who has the authority to study the source code, who is allowed to tinker with the source and also who is allowed to distribute copies of the software? The real issue I need to address is that the software running on my computer will obey me and only me. This is only possible when I use free software - it is impossible to achieve whenever I run proprietary software on my computer.

So what about the issue of security/surveillance/exploits in the software that I run? How does free software protect me from this? The philosophy of free software doesn't protect me directly but indirectly. The only thing that protects me directly is if the source code (together with the proper operation of the programs) will logically lead to a secure system.

So how do I ensure that the source code is logically secure? I could implicitly assume that the source code is secure and operate my computer from that assumption; this is in fact what I normally do. If I actually demand a comprehensive assurance of the security of my software, I would have to conduct a comprehensive audit of the system. In actual practice if I wanted to make this happen, I would be commissioning a software team that I trust to do this work for me. So how does free software indirectly assure my security? Free software gives me control over the software that I use and then I can use this control and prove my system is indeed correct.

Install Libreboot and Debian on my Asus C201. My personal Asus C201 will be for websurfing while I have some other secure computer with Libreboot and Kodi Theatre software.

I don't care about gf or movies. I could have a Commodore 64 for all it matters, if only I didn't have to use WWW for some administrative tasks. So ARM SBC is next best thing.

You do understand that the #1 reason you exist is to make more of you and then die, right

Source: all of life on earth

Will my X60 coming in the mail work without a battery if it is connected to the outlet with it's charger, or is a battery mandatory?

Wee

From what I know is that some TP's throttle without a battery in, but if that's true for the X60: idk!

Does anyone make laptops without insane fucking widescreen aspect ratios anymore?

The big thing with Arch is configuring TLP and Powertop if you're using a lightweight WM. I get equal battery life on Arch with a lightweight WM (Awesome or Window Maker) and Windows 10.

There's no need to perpetually impose an increasing burden on the earth. At this point, 7 billion people are more than enough.

Panasonic?

Or what about the *60/61 ThinkPads?

Thinkpads are it. Use Coreboot if the idiot at the helm of Libreboot offends you so much but you'd be a fool to ignore good code just because of that.

And for once you can't blame whites for that one.

I'm posting from my Libreboot T400.
Pure comfy.

10/10

What are you people expecting in the mail?

I'm expecting an X60s

A few days ago I got a 15.4" T61 off ebay with a 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) screen, 4GB RAM and a C2D [email protected]/* */ in near mint condition (sans HDD).
The battery holds 90% of its original charge. It's like the owner used it for a couple months and shelved it.
It was $44.74 delivered
Sometimes I love this gay Earth.

If you're going to give in and be a consumer slut then clevo rebadges are alright

Generally advertised as gaming laptops, some brands include metabox, system 76 too I think (those ones are ripoffs though)

What sort of insurance pay out should I expect from my insurance company for my water damaged X220?

A lollipop from the reception desk

I've looked at them already, there are a ton of Clevo rebranders. Generally seems good but the screen is supposed to be shit, and not just sub par like thinkpads but with heavy Screen bleeding. You get insane performance and massive storage space, the model i've looked at has two 2.5" sata bays and two M.2 PCIe slots. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a machine with major flaws in something as important as the screen though, and the battery just holds 60Wh as well.

Right now the "high performance notebook" market consists of
Like the P50, which have shit GPUs for the money, especially since there are no Pascal Quadros out yet. Also very rare and at a large premium, often mediocre screens and specs.
The T460p and Dell XPS15 fall under this category but both have horrible performance for the cost and the T460p has major thermal issues as well. Used to be the default, is now rare as everyone is trying to build the lightest sleekest thinnest piece of shit there is, and all of those only have dual core i7s at best.
Lenovo makes none, but all the Clevos with 1060s fall under this category, the rest is MSI, Razer, Asus and other shit manufacturers like Acer or HP. Jumped from overpriced and underwhelming to pretty good with the pascal series Nvidia cards. They almost always look like gayming ricer shit but they are the only laptops with proper performance i can find please help

Saw this two days ago and got TLP.

x201 now lasts 10 hours with WiFi on and constant use on a 6 cell non OEM batttery. Haven't tested it without wifi (Would last a lot longer)

got myself a refurbished t420 for £160

it's pretty good, i guess

Any consumer whore serious about "specs" should know about avadirect. Good fucking shit, bitch.
www.avadirect.com/custom-notebook-computers

Looking good, but since im german i'd buy a Clevo rebrand off of one of the german rebranders, namely Schenker/XMG and Tuxedo, because of shipping, keyboard layout and so on.

hai guise, looking at an X220 with an i7. These machines had 12.5" displays, one was a TN and the other is a nice IPS.

Did the i7 model automatically come with the IPS display? Most listings don't mention it... is it luck of the draw.

It's not luck.
thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:X220
Just that most ppl don't know what they're selling.
The only way to tell for sure is get the seller to tell you the machine type model number, then look on support.lenovo.com, input the MTM and see what the features are supposed to be for that model.
Or just buy from someone who knows.

looks like plasti-dip, to give it that rubberized feel.

Thanks user.

Did further research and apparently all IPS panels are not created equal.

For other interested parties:

Five versions of the IPS display panel are available:
LP125WH2(SL)(B1) – the B1 IPS panels sometimes have issues with image retention or “ghosting” after a static image has been on the display. Some users have also reported a backlight bleeding issue with these panels.
Manufacturer part number: 0A66673
FRU: 04W3462, 93P5674, 93P5675

LP125WH2(SL)(B2) – the B2 IPS panels do not tend to have issues with ghosting or backlight bleeding however they do not have the mounting rails on the sides needed to install properly in an X220.

LP125WH2(SL)(B3) – the B3 IPS panels usually do not have issues with ghosting or backlight bleeding and include the necessary side mounting rails for installation in the X220. Manufacturer part number: 0A66702
FRU: 04W3919

LP125WH2(SL)(T1) – the T1 IPS panels were not originally installed in the ThinkPad X220 but are completely compatible and include the necessary side mounting rails. (Recommended)
Manufacturer part number: 0A66690
FRU: NA

LP125WH2(SL)(T2) – the T2 IPS panels do not have mounting rails that align properly with the X220.

Retard here

If I buy a t420 with 4gb memory, is that 4gb in one slot or 2x2gb? If it's only one stick then I can get another to make 8, if not I'll have to buy all 8.

It depends, thinkpads are shipped and sold in all kinds of configurations. The guy you're buying it from might also have swapped the RAM. Just write him an email

Thanks m8, I figure even if it's 2x2 I can sell it and get some money back

Yeah, plus RAM isn't really expensive right now, unlike hard drives.

What do you think about booting from a small ssd in the hard drive slot and using a 1tb hdd in the ultrabay?

Sounds good. Never bought any ultrabay driver slots myself though.

source on the t460p thermal issues?

I usually don't count the non-Thinkpad Lenovo when i say Lenovo, but right they do. However that thing still doesn't have the Pascal Nvidia series and it wasn't particularly well rated last generation as well

The only halfway reputable notebook review site i know, they apparently have an english version as well:
notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T460p-Core-i7-GeForce-940MX-Notebook-Review.163699.0.html

i know thinkpads have upgradable cpus since there are not embedded, but if i had a t460p would the gpu be upraded? Does it make a difference if i order whith or without the gpu?

libreboot x60 here.
anyone here ever stuff a kernel in the CBFS?

Upgradeable GPUs in notebooks are rare, they are called MXM GPUs. In 99% of cases they are soldered on, im pretty sure that goes for all thinkpads as well

but what about in a model ordered without a gpu? Would it be possible to install one of those gpus or even a regular one?

MXM GPUs are small-sized regular PCIe GPUs, they have a special slot and everything. I highly suspect it has such a slot, and that should be researchable. As for modding anything on your own i suspect it's really difficult. Else we'd already have tons of T420/520s with newest hardware floating around.

No.

Your monitor looks exactly like mine but the logo is lenovo

Have you upgraded your RAM?

sexy!

I need to know the good and the bad between the X220 vs the T420. I'm considering both of them for my next laptop. What I already know is
I'm basically on the fence about both of them. All I will end up using them for is for school and office work and potentially using them outside (which gives the X220 an advantage in this decision) but I also want to hear from other people.

Great review of the T420.
There's also the T420s don't forget

Also, if I had to live with a 12.5" screen and do work on it, I'd want to kill myself. Laptops like that are for specific field ops and girls. For work a 16:10 screen 14.1" is minimum requirement IMO

Watch the screen glue, mine has a few spots here or there that may trigger viewfags. Also try and find a compatible stylus if you aren't buying in mint condition.

Otherwise see

X220 fag here except it's dead

some things of note
-thinkpads all have garbage screens, even the IPS "HD" panels suck shit, go aftermarket
-a smaller laptop screen might hit your productivity, but you might be more likely to have it with you
-if you plan on using an IDE with the low end X220 screen you might as well kill yourself right now
-thickness doesn't matter nearly as much as weight, that being said the X220 is about 25% lighter
-i didn't notice any problems with the bezel on the X220
-you'll swap your laptop's CPU as much as your desktop computer's (assuming you don't buy a new motherboard, never)
-battery life will be shit by today's standards no matter what, especially without a new battery, don't let battery life be a decider
-if you need the extra graphics power the T420 is the clear choice, you can also switch to the IGP for more battery life
-the X220T is also an option if you like to draw

teach me, senpai

yes.

let's say that i have the opportunity to get any (new) laptop i want for essentially free
what should i buy? should i wait for the new lenovo laptops we'll see at CES or go with another manufacturer entirely?
a wacom digitizer would be a big plus for me as long as the screen has a nice texture to draw on

Unless you're talking about the Thinkpad series, no. They've been caught sticking some nasty stuff in the firmware, programs that would autoinstall on any copy of Windows on the system. For the specifics see Superfish, or whatever it's called. Despite that it's still worth waiting for CES, just to see what they do.
I've heard good things about the P50 and P70, but never used one myself. If you have money to waste and want a Thinkpad that would be a relatively powerful option.
I know a guy with a Dell XPS15. He spent loads of money on getting it specced up, and it seems to serve him well enough. Personally I'm not a fan of laptops like that because if you drop it you're fucked, but if you want power on the go that's an option.
Also keep an eye out on the Razer Blade Stealth. Their laptops are actually not shit, which is surprising. I don't know how it's Linux support works, but if all other options fail it might be worth it.

I understand that the x230 is limited to outputting at 1366x768 on its own monitor, or any sort of custom monitor that you try to install in it.

What, however, is the theoretical maximum resolution output for the x230 if you are using mini-displayport or one of the thinkpad docks. Is it even possible for docks to enable resolutions greater than a laptop might normally be capable of?

I'm getting an X220. What should I put in the Expresscard54 slot? Is USB 3.0 supported by the Expresscard slot? What's the best Linux supported USB 3.0 card I can get?

Search this on ebay: 232117527320
Also recommend getting a fax modem for that puppy if you can find one. Use "efax" software and send pdf's as faxes. Very fun. Also a TV tuner card maybe.

Well nice, I've been sitting on an X200T for a while (~6months?) until I can get it soldered for Coreboot/Libreboot. I dug it out to try something though and in that time the battery I got for it had mysteriously died (blinking battery light when plugged into AC).

Not sure what happened but are there recommended X200T battery sellers I should be buying from? Maybe it was a dodgy place.

If it's blinking and green it's charging. If it stays orange it's dead.

Blinking orange. Same as the battery that came with it. The /sys interface doesn't report anything promising either. It's dead Jim.

Have fun with that one, buddy.

I'd be careful with ExpressCard to USB3, people on Toughbooktalk say that they pull way too much power for USB and it will make your laptop run hot.

Here's some more info: notebookreview.com/review/aluratek-usb-3-0-expresscard-review/

Kahlon

X200T success!

Alright I'll give 'em a try, thanks!

Just ordered this T430 for $160. It's got the 1600x900 screen 8GB of RAM, i5 @ 2.6 and 500gb hdd.
It's got W8 on it but I'm scrapping that shit and putting some linux distro on it. Think I'll go with Debian since I'm new to it and don't have a lot of free time. Did I do good?

Looks just fine. If you went for a T420 you'd have the older Thinkpad keyboard design, but a lot of people prefer the new one so that isn't bad.
Stick an SSD in there for better battery life and more drop resistance.

that's a good deal. I got my t430s for 230$. Just put the SSD and you're good!

Fuck off to the consumer sticky.

Good find. Deb would be fine but you may want something that provide more up-to-date packages.

Buttmad Applefag detected. Consumer sticky is at the top you faggot.

Could you explain what you mean by up-to-date packages and reccomend a distro?

He doesn't know what he's talking about. Debian Stable is a fine base OS. Look up how to set up the jessie-updates and jessie-backports repositories and pull newer packages from them without breaking your OS. I've been running my desktop on Debian Jessie with that setup since 2013 and I'm quite happy with it.

Should I get the T420 or the X220?

How come the X220 is smaller? Does it sacrifice performance to be smaller?

Does the X220 and the T420 have a keyboard of the same size?

What's the maximum resolution I can expect from one of these if I connect it to an external monitor?

Do they have an HDMI port or just VGA?

Are they powerful enough to play 1080p video?

I prefer the T series over the X series. They have larger screens and expansion bays.

I can't comment on the X220 specifically.

Historically, X series models have somewhat limited performance due to inadequate cooling. Their reduced size makes overheating an issue and, in turn, the processors have to lower their frequency when the temperatures get too high.

T420 any day, X220 is shit cooling wise.

t. owned a X220 for a few months

what do you guys use to remove the windows stickers on your thinkpads? or do you guys just leave them there?

Pretty sure you can add WWAN, but I don't recommend it because attack vector+phone network tracking.

A dull blade and then window cleaner works for me.

Suppose I'm a third world chimp.
How would I go about acquiring a chinkpad without paying 80% of the product in shipping?

No, YOU need to go to the sticky.

I am not a Macfag, in fact I own a X60 myself. But having a shitty thread bragging about laptops you own and where "what should I buy for $X?" questions asked is moronic. Keep your fucking bragging to yourself. And those asking for Thinkpad recommendations, go to the sticky or kill yourselves.

Grandpa detected.

You might get lucky if you search ebay long enough

You're way too stressed out mangbro, but I agree about the recommendations requests. They should look here:

Figures, though the only shit I've seen lately charged more for the shipping than the actual laptop.
Oh well, if any other anons know of any businesses or communities that deal with these stuff in other countries please share. Otherwise, I will have to find another alternative for a cheap, unpozzed, serviceable laptop, or go straight for SBCs.
By the way, the prices at are outdated, they each dropped like $50 since the pics were made.

loved my X220, both will play 1080p video, i'm pretty sure the keyboard is the same, the positives of a small form factor are better when you get a chance to handle it

Who is this fat weirdo?

Do thinkpads work well as a hackintosh?

If so, what models are recommended?

Also using a dell latitude, I have an E6400, but I find it is to under powered for even just web browsing, it can hardly handle video playback, I don't know how web design got to the point where everything is so slow on this damn thing, it shouldn't be so bad. I'm thinking of just getting a newer latitude as well.

bump

Is there any FOSS BIOS available for my Thinkpad T42? I deleted the other thread, I am sorry

what is good first thinkpad?

From what point may I consider a ThinkPad to be botnet and/or FOSS-restricted?

The general consensus is Lenovo = Trash and IBM = good, as far as FOSS is concerned anyways, unless you can install Coreboot on it, which many Lenovos do support

Is the t400 good for gaming?

I got a t420s off of ebay a couple weeks back, and I'm only getting ~2hrs of battery life even when just using integrated graphics, is this to be expected or is it just because my battery is old?

If you intend to Coreboot/Libreboot, definitely the X200. Easy disassembly and easy flashing process, the others require a lot of disassembly and/or soldering. The older IBM ones are easier to flash but also getting a bit old for most use cases.

Without a custom BIOS generally, at least one to remove the wifi card blacklisting. Also Superfish.

You idiot, he can't get the boot menu pulled up

Can't sentence properly.
Advice:
In BIOS, tell it to show boot menu options.
Insert Winbots disk.
Reboot, press F12.
Select YES when asked if Windows can repair the installation.
Enjoy your MalwareOS
Stay noob af Holla Forums

Intelligence agencies have been prohibited from buying Lenovo computers ever since it was discovered that Lenovo manufactures their computers with hardware back doors. No one serious about security would buy a Lenovo computer.

Except Holla Forums users do. How funny is that, huh. A board with strict anti-botnet mentality buys botnetted laptops.

Far from it, Ironlake GPUs are awful.

Has your battery got boatloads of cycles on it?

What's the capacity given by cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/* ?

Can you give more information? All the stuff I'm finding requires physical access, or is Windows-specific.

I meant hardware-wise. I'm already assuming the laptop to be insecure without full disk wipe/OS install and coreboot flashing.

Prior to China taking over IBM's PC manufacturing (around 2006-07) the US gov almost exclusively used IBM computers. Some Dell, but mostly IBM. The new ones are no longer trustworthy.

In other words government agencies, from whatever country, will only use silicon that was manufactured in their turf.
You lose either way.

AMT and the Intel ME, TPM, etc. are all bad, yes. But guess what? There are mitigations that one can implement. Also, even if your hardware was 100% open source schematics, and your software stack was 100% GPL, vetted by security zealots, there still remain plenty of side-channel attacks against any consumer or business class computing hardware. It's just the nature of physical materials bro. Sorry you seem to feel hopeless in the face of our "surveillance society", but let me assure you: where there is a will there is a way. I do anything I want online, and I don't fear getting spied on by the government.

My experience with used Thinkpads has been bad.

1st - IBM X40 from 2005~2008, purchased in 2015. The IDE connector died 6 months after the purchase. It now runs Puppy from a flash drive at my grandparent's house so they can play Solitaire. The battery life with the extended one was just amazing though, they could play cards all day and it wouldn't run out.

2nd - T410 from 2010~2013, purchased in 2016. It randomly shut down. Some research on Lenovo's support forum indicated that this is a common issue with that model's voltage regulation board or something like that. The guy I purchased from sent me another one but the shift keys do not work (hardware problem). I didn't bother returning it again, I'm using it in a daily basis but it kinda sucks remapping caps lock to shift and not having a left shift. I'll probably buy a new one soon.

I would never recommend buying used unless you know the person you're buying from. I should've known, I've sold defective laptops myself... Call it karma if you believe in that shit. The only advantages I see in Thinkpads over other models is the comfy keyboard and trackpad. I guess not all models support extended batteries but I'm sure they're not unique to Thinkpads...

Any Thinkpad docks with graphics coprocessors?

Where do you guys buy your batteries? On eBay, OEM batteries are like $50 (including shipping).. That's crazy, might as well just shop around for a new used laptop at that point..

Anyways, you can find some people who got large quantities of NOS and sell from $30-$40 including shipping.
It's the price you pay for not getting garbage that reports fucked up cycles or having a battery go into thermal runaway.

New to me :^)

What's nos?

New old stock.

I just got my X200T batteries through Kahlon as per another user's recommendation, haven't actually checked their capacity just yet it's still charging. But they should be alright, hopefully they don't just die a messy death in 6 months.

Addendum: Xfce is claiming about 3 hours right now. It'll obviously depend on workload.

I just today got a T430 refurb from Fry's to replace my dying Chromebook. I didn't want to fuck with Craigslist, etc.

The refurbs are weird. The company that cleaned this one up used stickers over the wristrests and the lid to hide blemishes. The dummy who put the sticker on the lid misaligned it so it looks kind of odd.

So far it's running like a champ. Plus the keyboard is super comfy.

Sorry about your bad experiences, bud.

can someone hook me up with an x60 tablet sxga+?

What is ebay.
Also, pretty they were all 1024x768 resolution max.

I was only able to find one, and I'm not paying $200 for an X60....

The last ones I bought I creeped around until I found a buyer who didn't know what he had, and got it for $70. I'm looking to spend roughly that this time around.

Thinkpad forum has better deals than eBay tbh

and they aren't all max 1024x768, I've owned two X60 SXGA+ with 1400x1050 son

I was wrong.
have a look at this:
pastebin.com/KzX8vS4s
And maybe search ebay for the machine-type-model number.

nice, I was using an excel sheet that had every model number listed out, this will be much easier. So to be clear, that list contains every SXGA+ model (ones with the higher res display)?

IDK. When I found the thinkpads-master-merge list (sounds like you have the same thing) it came with a .csv
I just grep whatever I'm looking for from that. The spreadsheet chokes my T60p lel.

follow-up.
I ran this on the csv
cat literature/IBM/thinkpads-master-merge-fixempty.csv |grep X60 |grep Tablet
So chances are good that it is a complete list actually.
Since I posted
OpenOffice is still not 50% done loading the spreadsheet. Maybe someday I'll break it into smaller pieces, but plain text is good enough for me tbh.

Lol, what do you have, .25 gb of ram?

Just because the file is only ~26MB, doesn't mean that's all oo.o needs to open it. Apparently OO.o is pretty inefficient in this case. I blame the software really. It should open/display a page at a time. But nooooo..
Although, vi (elvis here) also chokes. Vim, however, is pretty snappy. Hmmm. Linux sucks I guess heh.

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

youtube.com/watch?v=Fzmm87oVQ6c

Just put in a bid for a T420, fingers crossed, I want that fucking thing.

how much?

Why'd you ban him

I really want to get a W530. Why shouldn't I? Looks like a cheap workstation for almost no money.

it has the shitty new keyboard

Purchased a T410, stock except upgraded RAM. ( ebay.com/itm/252729228098 ) Overpaid, considerably. Only purchased it because I was to impatient to wait for a T420 after losing multiple bids in a row.

This was a very, very bad mistake. I solely wanted this computer for gaming, and I'm not going to spend more on it.

I'm thinking of cutting my losses by selling it the moment it arrives. Might go take a look at refurbished T420s in the meantime.

If this is salvagable, let me know. I'm not planning on doing anything too intensive on it; Borderlands2 would be my main game whilst Alien: Isolation would be the most graphically taxing. I have Fallout 4 but I imagine that's a laughable notion.

cuz he said linux sucks

USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST

I was thinking of docking it and only taking it with me when necessary. I mean, it's still bulletproof and has pretty great hardware for the price.

What's happening here, I'm going to have to test.

USER WAS BAMMED FOR THIS TEST

So yeah, I'm an idiot. Other than learning from my mistakes and selling it to cut my losses, do I have any options?

Again, this machine would be a dedicated gaming machine. Doesn't need to be fancy or spectacular, just play Borderlands 2.

THIS

IT ARRIVED TODAY AND IT WAS FUCKING BROKEN, SO I GET TO RETURN IT FREE OF CHARGE

once again my incredible good fortune shields me from having to learn anything from the consequences of my incredibly bad judgement

tried all the generic fixes that didn't involve taking it apart; don't want to "void the warranty"

if you still have the machine... try rebooting it a few times.

i left my T60 in the closet for a few months, gave a fan error on first few boots. eventually it got spinning and it's been fine since.

also try blowing into the fan while turning it on. you can maybe bypass that error if the fan is spinning when you boot it. you might also dislodge some dust balls.

I actually want to get rid of the thing. see:

On a related note, I got the fan working and installed the OS, but the seller has agreed to take it back.
I would like to take them up on this offer, and provide them with the machine as I received it.

The OS was installed from the Windows 7 recovery discs for Thinkpad.

Should I just do a Diskpart > Clean Disk, or do I have to manually delete partitions but leave the recovery partition?

as expected, it's fast for apps, but the CPU chokehold and lack of DirectX support deprives me of using it for intended purposes.

T41, T410, 380D and an m58 Thinkcentre.

T41 with 2gb ram, ips and the amd card is the god machine and the pinnacle of laptop design. Dual booting freebsd and xp works perfectly.

If you're still here, can you tell me just how hard it would be to get coreboot on an X200 for someone that has never done it?

Seller gave me a partial refund. All told, I got a t410 with dock for $65, including shipping.

It plays most of the games I want and is otherwise very comfy.

Going to partition it and install a POSIX based system. Help me decide: OpenBSD or Slackware? I am leaning towards Slackware but have never tried BSD.

bsd is really nice especially for learning *nix, the documentation is top notch

x60s - swapped out the board with that C2D one for the lulz. mainly for experiments
x220 - i7 one, running OpenBSD as main travel computer

I tried compiling Coreboot but it really expects you to know what you're doing, and I couldn't even get a ROM to compile, maybe you'll have better luck. For now I'm still using Libreboot stable, and am hopeful for Librecore.

coreboot.org/Board:lenovo/x200

Regardless of what you build I still recommend using the Libreboot flashing instructions, they're easy to follow and make sure you do certain things like back up the original flash. Most of it is written assuming you're using the Beaglebone Black, but they have some stuff on using the Pi and some other thing now too, no idea how easy it'll be to translate. Just take special care as you always should with fragile electronics.

libreboot.org/docs/install/

One other tip I gained from IRC that isn't yet in the documentation: Layout files. This lets flashrom only overwrite part of the flash chip, mostly helpful for writing a patched Lenovo BIOS without locking the chip but also lets you skip the ich9gen stuff in future.

For the X200, this is the .layout I was given. It's a 4M chip on my particular model, 8M ones should extend to 0x007fffff. I do not know if the layout is different on other Thinkpads.

0x00000000:0x00000fff descriptor
0x00001000:0x00002fff gbe
0x00003000:0x003fffff bios

As for using it.

# flashrom -p internal -w flash.rom --layout x200.layout --image bios

I moved now.
I want to get pc-98
I have keyboard (cheap lenovo one) and ibm floppy drive on the way.

Holy shit, another SA person. Or someone who was. Cute K-On! toy, but what's the thing off to the left?

x220 i5 owner here
why do most of you stick to the old models

DAB radio?

Also >laintracker
pls, lainchan a shit.

On topic: Considering getting a T43p, but they seem to be rare. Anything I should look out for?

Yea I still am in SA, moved to the capital the other week, the thing to the left is a DAB radio

What is wrong with lainchan? It is just another image board.

What is wrong with 4chan? It is just another image board. And the only reason reddit was open was because I was looking for a solution to an i3 problem, and that reddit page was in the search engine results, so I thought I would give it a shot, and it answered my question.

>>>/cyber/45289

The T43p fan is not removable. This means you can't remove it from the heatsink assembly and oil the spindle and really clean it easily.
Also, the fan can become super noisy as a result. The "easy" fix for this, which I have done once myself, is to drill a hole into the bottom of the fan housing which 1. allows the spindle to drop about 2mm, and 2. allows you to actually oil the spindle. Then you need a really good sticker to cover the hole. It sounds like a sketchy operation but it was simple imo. Also, the fan goes almost silent which is nice.

forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=69539

So? It is just another image board. If you do not like it, simply do not use it. I like it, so I will continue to use it, thank you.

You say that, but 4chan for example, is now run by a guy who ruined 2chan.

So? It is just another image board. If you do not like it, simply do not use it. I like it, so I will continue to use it, thank you.

We heard you the first time and you were just as wrong then.

gofuckyourself.jpg

@topic: So basically, the T43p is useless and I should go with a D810?

see

This guy's work was extended to the W530, I'm going to try it on mine soon.

who is that Fluid Druidess ?

Look at this fucking laptop.
Look how fucking clean.
Look at that mouseclit. Virginal.
TFW $20 on craigslist
Maxed RAM for $18
Replaced CMOS battery
Runs like new, cold and basically silent.

lucky find! What did you install on it? GNU/Linux?

Microsoft Windows 10 (tm)

How do I reset the battery as much as possible?

X220 with genuine 9cell, GNU/Linux.

how the fuck do people keep their laptops so clean? my t60 is full of scratches and dents. a lot of the plastic parts are cracked, and there's tape holding some shit together. the inside is always filling up with dust and crumbs and fucking beard hair or something. after so many years it doesn't even have that thinkpad smell any more, it just smells like fucking cigarettes. so grimy, it sucks.

just get a new battery, really. lion batteries can't be reset really. you can try running it down a lot (not too much, if you run it all the way down you risk damaging the cells i think) and then charging it back up. cheap third party batteries are not bad, try kahlon (as mentioned already in this thread).

someone should make battery cases that can be easily opened so you can replace the cells as needed. that would be nice.

Still has XP on it from previous owner (an orthodontist apparently). Got it from a scrapper who said he didn't have the ac adapter and was unsure it even worked.
Not sure yet, but I'm thinking maybe FreeDOS, a minimal Slackware or try my hand at OpenBSD again

This unit was probably docked with a separate keyboard and monitor. The whole time it lived in climate-controlled luxury dentists office it was hardly touched. Your machine on the other hand, has to put up with second hand smoke, food-covered fingers, an asshole who lets it impact things so hard the plastics crack, who apparently never vacuums out the keyboard. Shit doesn't get grimy by itself nigger. It get grimy because YOU are grimy. You're a grimy fuck, and you should feel bad for slowly destroying your laptop.

go with openbsd. that's what i'm running on my grimy thinkpad. freedos is neat, but i wouldn't want it for daily use. slackware is my linux distro of choice (when i am forced to use linux), but linux is getting more pozzed by the day.

i do occasionally clean this laptop. half the dings were on it when i first got it. the other dings have come from regular use. i didn't buy an old used-up thinkpad to baby it, and i don't think that a little grime will do any damage to it. i think these machines can handle a little abuse.

are you me?

That's only if you believe the jew who runs this site. They themselves admit that the software that had the leak was written and hosted by them (NT Technology.)

Fuck yes, managed to install WinFLP last night on my T22.

Both batteries are completely fuarrrked so I just threw them out and i'm going to recycle them soon.

That being said, where can I get VERY cheap T2x batteries in Europe? I spent 12,50 on this ThinkPad two years ago (along with a 310ED) and I don't want to spend 2-3 times that just for a new battery.

I have a spare HDD and hard drive caddy for my ultrabay. I have a t420 hd3000.

Can I install OSX on that and switch between Windows and Mac by pulling the caddy?

Open the laptop's batteries and change the cells.
The form factor of batteries may be unique but cells are usually 18650.