Looking back, what did they even do Legend of Korra for?

I know, co's gone over how trash the show is already. But I'm just wondering what brought about doing a sequel instead of say, a spiritual successor? Was it some trick to save the series from the damage done by the movie?

It doesn't help how Bryke anchored themselves into boards and sites focused on Avatar (see tumblr). Too many of LOK's screw-ups can get linked to the fandom and Bryke trying to pander (Examples: The Korra/Mako/Bolin/Asami ship fodder and Varrick getting overused). Throw in how Bryke went full SJW (complete with whitewashing Toph's mother) and you suspect the show was a failed attempt to be "relevant" and "cool" (see the giant robot in Book 4).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
youtube.com/watch?v=3131tUSlaFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1LNFlpO29QU
youtube.com/watch?v=S_YlIu-eJvU
youtube.com/watch?v=W5gGEWqO_Ag
thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozawa_v._United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsu-A_Ron
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Restoration
pastebin.com/Zc5wug5A
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Being called Avatar, I think it was a common position to wonder who the next avatar would be. The series just lends itself easily to a sequel, it's just a shame that they didn't write more likable main characters and choose a more natural setting (something more like Meiji era japan instead of interwar period New York).

Why did every scene involving Korra crying or being hurt make my dick rock hard?

Because seeing her being put in her place gives you great pleasure?

Besides, interwar period New York should've been reserved for later. They went from giant chicken drawn carts to suddenly cars? How?

Guys! Guys! Does someone have that hatefuck image of Korra? Or at least does someone know where it is? I can't find it for the life of me.

Never mind! Never mind! Found it!

E;R made some great commentary on why this show is garbage if you want, just released a new part today too.
youtube.com/watch?v=bmKaQqinWKY
youtube.com/watch?v=3131tUSlaFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=1LNFlpO29QU
youtube.com/watch?v=S_YlIu-eJvU
youtube.com/watch?v=W5gGEWqO_Ag

A new part? Yes!

OP, you shouldn't make threads with such easy answers.

You're not just gonna leave the rest of us hanging, are you?

It's probably the same person that made the last one. Pretty sure the OP image was used for a previous one.

I think the movie forced their hand to do it earlier than they should have, and I think one of them was in a bad place with some father issues at the time (though I don't have the exact MoS rant he went on).

Because those scenes rounded out her character and you'd rather fuck a real character instead of a cardboard cut out that quips at times. I don't think it did enough though, because characterization was wonky throughout the series. A lot of season 1 was wasted on the romance shit when we didn't really know Korra well enough to care about it.

Here's an idea, stop making Korra threads asshole!

Here's another idea. See a thread you don't like? Hide it, ignore it..just go on your merry way.

Fuck you, this isn't Tumblr. I can call out shit threads for being shit.

Yeah, keep at it, sport.

You're not another lolcow in the making, are you?

Aww, I thought you mean an actual image.

It won me over at

Come Holla Forumsmrad. Steampunk in industrial Shanghai meant that someone poured their heart into this.

First you have some guys making a cartoon in 2005 that ends in 2008.
I think this is valuable information because I believe The Great Recession helped proliferate what we would refer to now as the SJW ideology.
Narcissistic enabling technology known as social media coupled with having created a successful TV show.
Fast forward 4 years to 2012 and "Bryke" has since been indoctrinated and wishes to make a sequel to their award winning show.
I assume they did Korra for fame or fortune.
Perhaps they wanted to be creative figureheads of progressive ideas and so shat out a cartoon about a diverse looking fit-girl with magic powers who ends up being gay.

I have brown girl fetish but there are some problems with how they delivered the show in that they did so in a very asinine and pandering manner toward women with no real clue as to how to even succeed at that.
If they really wanted surefire romance and were being japan inspired what with season 2 ending in a Kaiju battle and season 4 with a stupid mech they should have just had the basic anime love triangle.
They failed because they didn't drag out the conflict by having Korra be emotionally ripped apart after a long and more substantial series of emotional ties to both brothers both positive and negative.
A long long series of many and multiple dramatic elements.
Not just Mako talking about his scarf.
They could have made the heroes journey again or focused on fleshing out a city at least and instead chose neither, republic city simply exists as a set piece.
Could have focused more on her fighting crime like an actual heroic figure would do but instead went for sports and what could laughably be called romance between bouts of her training and being pissy as if not a single instructed taught her humility.
They could have made it more episodic with a lot of nice self contained stories here or there, but instead made every episode rigidly connected to each other.
They could have made a central villain, but instead opted for 4 weaker ones.
They could have had Korra grow as a character, but every season she learns self control just to forget it by the start of the next season.
They could have actually intended for a gay romance and first built a very strong friendship with Asami from the start, but didn't because zero forethought was put into the show.
They could have tried to devorce it more from the original and have it stand more on its own by referencing almost nobody but Aang.
Could have gone whole hog and made it incredibly sequential by instantly following up on everything that happened in the interim to the entirety of team avatar.
Instead Katara is in season 1, Zuko doesn't show up until season 3 and Toph doesn't show up until season 4 while others are simply unknown.
Why did a show I hate this much, this poorly made win so many awards and last 4 god damn seasons?

Out of curiosity, since avatars are suppose to be all about bringing balance and taking down a bigger bad, is it possible that there is one avatar is a major screwup?

Bryke were animators, not writers. Sure they made the concept of Avatar, but it was a writing staff that made The Last Airbender a hit (but even if the writing was sucky, it would still gets fans because pseudoanime)

The basic idea of Legend of Korra was pretty nice. Last Airbender was like the old mythological journey that begins to just enter legend, while Korra's story could be about trying to merge this older quasi religious figure with modern society.

I think the primary failure of the show was that the guys behind the show tried to just retread "big spiritual journey" portion of ATLA, but with a girl in the big city. That did not make sense.

In ATLA, it makes sense the central characters aren't immersing themselves in every town they come across because they're all constantly traveling. With Korra, she's living in a city yet barely interacts with the city itself, instead she only chats with her friends and a couple politicians now and then. There were enough aspects of this world of Korra's left just vague that you didn't feel like she was even connected to much of the society around her.

Like why was it that Korra didn't seem to have a proper position related to the government so she'd be paid?

Why, if she's this quasi-religious figure, did she not seem to have something like followers?

How did people in the city even get along? Would people look down upon having relationships with people without bending powers? Would marriages between those of different bending powers be seen as sacrilegious?

They touched a little on the idea of those without bending being annoyed at their perceived weakness, but it never seemed like it was a major focus in spite of it seeming like a fairly major issue.

Looking back on the show I feel like there's a large number of things they could have done that would have been very interesting. Instead the writers seemed way too tempted for big grand moments. I don't get why. I don't think you needed people trying to take over the city or big supernatural monsters attacking.

I liked what they seemed to be trying for in the first season, with just an odd cult leader trying to force equality upon people. Having Korra be kinda wonky in trying to connect with a past avatar like Aang so she could understand this city she was now in, felt like an interesting concept. Since she couldn't speak to him, she was forced instead to see glimpses into his life, which could have been a cool way to essentially have an episode or two solely about some of these past avatars and how they lived.

But then they just kinda shit up the show by trying to make everything seem almost like an end of the world situation which just felt so retarded when mixed with bad tumblr romance.

Pragmatically, to make more money.
Idealistically (based on their earliest publicized pitches), to show viewers what air-bending training entailed.
Ultimately, the former won out over the latter, buying the show three and a half seasons more than it deserved, and trampling the lore of the original show in the process.
And that's all there is to it.

The show bounced around on what Korra's duties as the Avatar required. The show jumped from "Korra is a secular figure without any apparent responsibilities as a holy woman" to "SPIRITS SPIRITS SPIRITS."

Putting onto this, the show lacked both TLA's more genuine approach to creeds and its handling of spirits.TLA did swell to show spirits as alien creatures with interests beyond human grasp. While LOK threw in cameos and had spirits used as fuel for a superweapon, making them mundane.

did they ever reveal what happened to zuko's mom?

Yeah, it's handled in the comics. Look up "The Search".

hey, E;R

Yeah, honestly I don't really care enough about american cartoons for children to make hours long critiques of them. So, no. He shills his own stuff as an user anyway.

I love that's tearing the Wan episodes a new one. That shit really sucked the life out of Avatar. At least until that point you could have looked at Korra and said "oh well, it suck, whatever", but now that there is an origin story it has retroactively ruined both series. It shits over everything that was good in Aang, and it sets the plots for the rest of Korra and any show that might follow it.

The Avatar origin story is something that should have never been told. I love how in the original show you would see all those statues fading into the background, it inspired your imagination as to how long this cycle has been going on. All we needed to know about the Avatar's background was told in the intro of every episode: he alone can master all four elements and he is responsible for keeping the peace in the world. There, simple enough, we don't need to know anything more beyond that. I know it's a cliche phrase, but sometimes less really is more. The Wan episodes have the same quality as fanfiction you might read on the internet.

You left out turning the Avatar into a force of shiny niceness who fights the force of mean darkness called Vaatu.

No she fucking wasn't, she was balance against chaos. You motherfuckers need to know a little thing called Yin and Yang.

Yin-Yang is balance of different yet complementary forces (masculine and feminine, hot and cold, life and death). This not what happens in Book Two. Instead, we get cartoon villain Unalaq scheming to free Avatar Satan who'll get darkness.

In the original, Iroh said yin and yang were positive and negative.
Fuck off.

And yet we see in the case of the Holy Fish that both are needed for balance. This doesn't happen in Book Two.

The writers are idiots who bastardized a far-eastern concept by applying Christian logic to it. I am not very familiar with far-eastern religions, but from my understanding the ying-yang is supposed to represent diametrically opposite concepts that must exist in balance with each other and and excess or one or the other would be bad because it upsets the balance.

Good and evil in Christianity is different, God is 100% good, and evil is the absence of good, i.e. rejecting God. There is no concept of balance, no "just the right amount" of evil. People are compelled to reach to God and fully reject the devil, not try to make some compromise between them. Different denominations have different ideas and names for it, and in Orthodoxy it's called theosis or deification if you want to google for it.

In Korra they talk about balance and shit, but there is no reason the evil spirit should have any right to exist. He just exists because fuck you and if he was gone it would be great for everyone. They try to do some "balance" bullshit by stating that if one of them wins the other one will eventually emerge again, but that really doesn't count as balance. Wan even fully aligns with the good spirit and seals the evil spirit up, precisely destroying the balance of good and evil. And there is not a single bad consequence from that, aside from the seal between the worlds, but only because Wan wants to keep the evil spirit imprisoned, not because he upset the balance. When Korra defeats him she can open the portals because there no longer is any reason to keep them shut. Whereas in the original show when one of the spirit-fish got killed it fucked everything up. That's what maintaining the balance means.

On a side-note, this is also something that pissed me off about Star Wars. In the OT is was pretty simple: light side good, dark side bad. But in the prequels they came up with this idea of balance, but I always failed to see why any balance was needed when everything was always great with the light side dominating.

Wasn't it intended to be originally a miniseries in the first place?

If the original show was made 10 years earlier, you know nick today would order a TV movie for no reason other than flopsweat

Korra is a beautiful person. But what truly brings out her inner feminine beauty is when she is afraid, sad, and unsure of herself.

She puts up a good front but behind that tough persona she is just a scared child who was sheltered from the world and jacked up on Buddha reincarnation magic.

When you see her crying you are glimpsing the real Korra. Whats more, she often deserves it, which makes her suffering all the more enjoyable.

As seen in TLA spirits ranged from monsters who should he kept thousands of miles away from man (Koh), to being contempous of humans, to having concerns beyond humanity even if helpful. Even after the portals were kept open Raiko and the citizens of RC got zip out of the move in besides disgruntled neighbours and collateral damage. They had a quick pop-up of more airbenders which came off as a trick to make it look like Korra has a point.

You should have wrote the show.

Which was his kinder act, sending the Angel of Death to kill children or flooding the world?

He works in mysterious ways

Eh..knowing the shit this world is going..death is a mercy.

It kind of depends if you're talking about Shintoism, Taoism, or Buddhism here. For example, Taoism is all about balance and that's where Avatar seems to draw it's element system from. But the existence of yokai like spirits is more akin to Shinto belief and there are definitely a few pure evil beings in Shintoism.

The problem is that LOK completely mishandles the introduction of a primordial evil spirit of chaos. Rather than it being in a yin-yang relationship with a spirit of light it's entrance into the world should be caused by corruption or imbalance. Say something like the complete annihilation from the world of one of the four types of elemental bending and the people that practice it for nearly 100 years, as well as the absence of the Avatar for all that time. That would be the perfect setup for a problem for the next incarnation of the Avatar to have to deal with the consequences. In fact that could even be an excuse for Korra to be such a shitty Avatar, have the Avatar state itself become tainted by the imbalance and need to be purified. Basically confront her with the fact that she has to unfuck herself and then unfuck the world before something like Yamata no Orochi comes slithering out the darkness outside and eats the entire world.

Your plan is a step-up. But what about Unalaq? Cut him? Make him just Korra's usurping uncle and cut his dark cultist act?

Maybe. He wouldn't be strictly necessary but he could still work as a side antagonist I guess.
Definitely! There shouldn't be some sort of Cthulhuesque "The Stars are Right After 10,000 Years I'M FREE" condition for the Spirit of Chaos' return but rather make it hinge on some vital condition of the world itself and why balance is so important. To put it directly: Why is the existence of the Avatar important? What IS the Avatar? What is their relation to the world?
After all if they are just a sort of spiritual figurehead or the archmage of the elements that merely exists out of convention and tradition, then they aren't really all that important to the world after all (in which case you would have to wonder why ATLA or LOK were even made in the first place). Likewise if the Avatar is just Buddha Superman that only exists to defeat bad benders and to arbitrate between the different bender nations in merely a mundane secular way, then they could be replaced in time by treaties and federations and by some sort of bender Interpol and bender NATO. The Avatar would just be a hold over from an earlier time and the world would have a diminishing need for them as time progressed.
On the other hand, If the Avatar is a keystone in the order of the world and their true purpose is about keeping the order and balance of the elements at a spiritual level, least the current order and form of the world lapse to some previous condition and allow things to creep in from nether space, THEN the Avatar is a critical force in the world. They have a job to do and if they fail to do it, if they allow to great an imbalance to come into the world stay uncorrected for too long (like Aang unknowingly did when he ran away from the Air temple) then there will be literal hell to pay.
It's way too late at night for me to be typing this much. I hope I made sense.

You touched on it, but LOK had a habit of making the otherworldly, beyond man's hands, pieces of the setting (including the Avatar itself) too mundane. From the Avatar's origin (a man letting the light spirit of niceness use him as a vessel to beat the dark spirit of dastardlyness) to Kuvira using spirits as ammo, those pieces lost the air of distance befitting such alien beings.

What movie were you watching? Because it sure wasn't Star Wars.

yes they originally planned it out as a miniseries.

You know I kind of liked the Red Lotus a little bit. They're this group of benders that have unique bending styles and one of them is missing her arms and uses water to replace them. That was pretty cool. That and they could've used this as an opportunity to show the origins of the White Lotus and properly expand the lore of the show rather than retcon it like they did.

They had a shoddy excuse to escape from jail. And muh chaos.

A crying, broken woman should not be this sexually arousing.

Yeah, the spirits were great, weren't they? The portal gets opened and they all flood in to capital city and refuse to leave and "hurr durr, we all gotta learn to live together because it's everyone's city!" But when Kuvira shows up to tear the city to the ground, the spirits all run back to the spirit world and refuse to help because "We're not your pawns, we don't fight your battles!"

To the writers credit they did try to explore this idea but not as deeply as they could have.

As far as writing the show goes I would have done a lot different. Less romance and pro-bending side plot bullshit, more action and fight sequences. Keep the equalists as a running threat throughout the series, because besides being fun they serve as a needed counterpoint to all of the spiritualistic faggotry.

Korra is beautiful when she is at her lowest for a number of reasons. Firstly because it is a stark contrast to her usual cocky cheerful self; and secondly because 9 times out of 10 she deserves it. Not only that but there is something highly erotic about a Strong Independent Woman of Color who don't need no man™ being brought down a peg. From a psychological perspective this might be due to man's instinctive desire to dominate women and see them put in a submissive position. In Korra's case she has the power of a demi-god, so seeing her brought down to the level of a scared kid is quite the jump.

You'd have to do something to make them make sense. What oppression did benders perpetrate on non-benders?
Organised crime? Actually, now that I think about it, I could actually see that, despite it being a minority of benders actually joining the triple flavor triads. Wouldn't have to be a majority, just enough that it seems like benders in peace time are a threat to non-benders. The inherent power imbalance between bender and non-bender is obvious an enough source of conflict, which however is compensated for by the superior numbers of non-benders. But the gangsters really should get more screen time to be portrayed as a serious problem.
I guess there's also job inequality, benders having more job options, Earth Benders most obviously.

The Equalists were just an attempt to do an X-Men impression with the Benders as Mutants.

It was established in TLA that Benders had long been established in the world and are not a population isolated away from non-Benders. There were no societies with Benders having any societal authority over non-Benders outside of the Fire Nation. Even if you go with claim that Benders might have an edge over non-Benders, that doesn't warrant Amon being able to get hordes of Equalists painting Republic City Red with blood in such a short time.

Actually I think the equalist plot serves as better example of how a dictator can gain power by fostering hatred among vulnerable people. It's very much how certain groups have tried to manipulate the poor against the rich for their own ends. The benders ere the haves, the non-benders are the have nots

Maybe because you see yourself having a chance with someone as insecure as yourself?

I'm really disappointed with how Amon was handled in the show, as his character was essentially one of my favorite archetypes. A self hating and tragic demigod. He was a prodigy waterbender(possibly the greatest to ever live), who had abhorrent disgust for the strong hurting the weak.

Imagine if Voldemort was a champion of Muggles?

Anyways, I would've loved to see him make a Heel-Face turn down the line, especially with the Bending Supremacists who followed after him.

ER made part two

That could be interesting but they never do anything with it. Personally I hated the fact he was a bender in the show. Granted I didn't think he was actually who he said he was I just thought he practiced some advanced form of chi blocking or something.
It really bugs me its like having Magneto turn out to be a human who uses technology hidden in his costume to manipulate magnetism. Or to have the Black Panthers led by a self hating white guy in black face.

jews

Just watched the video. Honestly the rage I felt towards how they handled the spirits is well captured in this vid. Hell he's even more pissed off than I am. I hate how smug the spirits are for mutilating humans and how its supposed to be funny. I hate this shallow environmentalism thing with eating meat. With the original show it made sense since Aang is a vegetarian that and it handled the balance with nature better than this show. Seriously season 2 of LOK was the straw that broke the camels back for me.

What if he had been a waterbender prodigy AND something else that made him able to take away bending? Spirit-empowered, trained in chi-blocking, what have you.

Would you call him… a benderbender?

Look at Avatar satan. What a pimp and all that smug.

All I can see is Korra's stupid hat.

If you do that, then have Koh help Amon. He'd be a better spirit foe than Vaatu anyway.

I love the fact that he was a bender, and would've made an excellent companion for Korra's team a'la DBZ

It's not like Magneto being mutant. It's like Voldemort pretending to be a muggle

Quite the opposite in a power scale. I see him more as an Oscar Schindler that would've been fantastic.

Equalists are communists. This is really all The Legend of Korra needed to go with, and there's PLENTY of real-life history to draw upon for inspiration. Much like the Fire Nation is basically Imperial Japan, the Equalists could have been the Bolsheviks/Maoists/pick-any-communist-regime-ever, starting out with some minor idealists talking about the evil of benders during Aang's time because if you look on the surface level, the world seems driven by benders, to full-on terrorism, to full-scale armies, to outright spiritual conspiracies and end of the world shit because, well, kid's/teenager's show about magic martial arts gods.

Amon wouldn't work as any kind of "good guy" because he is custom-made for the role of "the Big Bad" or "one of the Big Bads". Asami is more what you're looking at.

I hate threads for making me think of all the things Korra could have been. That sounds fucking perfect.

He would have been a better solution to Aang's "killing problem" than the lion turtle, too. Seriously, did lion turtles do anything good for the Avatar-verse at all?

I always found this racial fixation particularly retarded, even by tumblr standards. Korra isn't actually drawn as some shitskin–she's literally designed as a blue-eyed European with light brown skin.

Korra's a "delicious brown" as the weebs call it, not a negress or even an eskimo. Fuck it, she's even voiced by a White woman.

nost sure if I can call her white exactly but with anime designs its always hard to tell. Since they have simplistic facial structures.

Why do you have to racist like a SJW? Actors, especially VOICE actors, can play outside of their race.

This isn't a place for you, Pedro.

That's certainly one way of looking at it. Alternatively, you could argue that anime design deliberately gives characters specifically European features. (And eye/hair colors, if you don't count the unnatural neon palette.)

Waterbenders are non-white, just get over it already.

He's welcome, you're not Adolf.

Samefagging won't help you, Pedro.

Not Korra, that's for damn sure.

None really.

It's not so much she has Caucasian looks so much as she has more attractive looks. Humans evolved to find features observed to apparently be way more common in Caucasians more attractive for women.

Also, Betty Boop and Disney,.

thesocietypages.org/socimages/2010/08/30/guest-post-why-do-the-japanese-draw-themselves-as-white/

The point that flew over your head is that Korra is drawn in a stylized way like in Japanese animation that makes her look not so Eskimo.

That's a roundabout way of saying that Japs do, in fact, draw their characters White.

There's no fucking way Waterbender's facial features are based on Eskimos. Mixed Native Americans at best. I don't buy her being Eskimo like I don't buy Air nomads being white or fire nation being from India

Isn't everyone in the Avatar world basically some version of Eastern Asian? Fire nation are Imperial Japan, Earth nation is Imperial China, Air Nomads are Shaolin monks crossed with Shangri-La, and the Water tribe is… somehow not dead from vitamin D deficiency.

It's notable that some Japanese DO have semi-european features.

I thought the air nomads were more like tibetan monks.

Damn, they barely even look human.

Avatar characters were designed by a pair of white guys, though.

It's also worth noting that Japs only draw their characters with European features when they are meant to be from, well, Europe. If the story is set in Africa or Arabia, or China, then they draw them accordingly, so this "Nippons all want to be white" is just Holla Forums circle-jerking at best.

they're the only ones that still draw black people with big lips.

Such as?
Their Japanese and European character designs are racially indistinguishable, even in skin tone, whereas Arab and black characters are readily apparent. I'm not saying that it necessarily indicates that Japs want to be white, but I can understand where such an idea comes from.

damn, meant to quote a bit more:

>>>Holla Forums

Jesus Christ. I thought we were past this after the recent events of the board owner booting nigger redwood II, electric boogaloo.

Go back to cuckchan Holla Forums and tumblr.

Yes and the idea that Japs want to draw white people distinctly is false or at least only somewhat true depending on the show with all the anime where the white characters are indistinguishable from the Japanese ones and yet in the same exact show the Chinese characters somehow still are. It's fucking hilarious to me. You're going to tell me seriously the Japs don't want to be white? Explain these things then.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozawa_v._United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datsu-A_Ron
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meiji_Restoration

Face it, nobody wants to be associated with subhuman chinks over the superior White Race and the Japanese are literally the only race of merit among the mongoloids and even they do not wish to be associated or even acknowledge to be the same race as gooks and chinks or whatever other mongoloid trash which extends to pretty much all mongoloids outside the Japanese themselves. What a trash race you slants are, barely above niggers.

That's bullshit and you know it. I remember this series about little ninja apprentices in which one rich guy brought an European baker named Popo (because that was the only thing the guy said, for some reason). He was much different to the other characters, and one special remarkable trait was his nose. In fact, his nose was completely plot relevant, since later on the characters determined the room he was sleeping in since his snores were different to everyone else's due to the different shape of his nose.

There is also Robert McGuire in Shin-chan, who, despite the extremely simplistic drawing of those series' style, still manages to stand out amongst the other characters.

Images like were created by 2ch trolls with cherrypicked images, much in the same fashion Holla Forums also cherrypicks images for some of their troll infographics. If you genuinely believe these, you may as well kill yourself right now

Being a gook must be the saddest and most pathetic existence. The left hates you and the right hates you. Haahahaahaha

Its the other way round, goon.

Holla Forumsfag salt is tastiest salt.

I've been waiting to post this for quite some time.

Fire Nation had fucking tanks and giant aircrafts towards the end of TLA. Having commercialised early automobiles in 70 years time is not hard to believe. Especially when bending would make advancement in technology even easier.

Fuck off back to Holla Forums reddipol spamming goon.
I know it's you.

Not sure if serious, or role-playing redditor. The South-Koreans, Hong-Kongs and plenty other mongoloids seem pretty far above niggers to me.

Blond hair and blue eyes = European

fuck off

How did the topic of Korra's race derail the thread this badly? She is a blue-eyed fantasy south-pole water-wizard, her race is entirely made-up.

Because Holla Forumstards absolutely have to take the shittiest b8 they can find and run with it every fucking time.
You'd think a bunch of people who see conspiracies everywhere would know how to spot low energy trolling.

see
Getting back on track, how would you go about fixing Korra's personality? What would go well with fantasy-Asian muggle-communists and kungfu-wizard anarchists (because the crimson lotus provide a fine contrast to the Equalists)?

Not same user but I'd have Korra start out as a cocky shit but have her learn humility and own up to her problems. Deep down she'd be this scared sheltered girl who's only putting up a front to impress people that and all the expectation put on her might make her a bit of a perfectionist. Also I'd keep the villains to just the Equalists and have it go over both sides to see their points of view and have Amon not be a water bender instead when Korra takes off his mask he has no face. It was stolen by Koh when he got into the Spirit World by accident and gained energy bending abilities.

Singaporeans rank pretty high just for the fact that they pulled themselves from a 3rd world backwater to a 1st world economic hub within 50 years, and the fact that they constantly piss off their uppity Moslem neighbors.

How would a non-bender cross over?

I would fix the finale of season 1 by having Asami give an epic speech about the power of humanity to rise above, and that you don't create equality by dragging others down, you build yourself up. Perhaps while armed to the teeth. It always seemed cheap how people just dumped Amon as soon as he was a bender. It didn't feel like an ideological victory, just a cheap twist.

For the climaxes, keep Mako fighting the lieutenant guy, but have Korra fight Tarloq, and Asami's be Amon. Tarloq represents bender elitism and ego, and he put Korra in a box. Amon represents a false narrative of oppression for non-benders; devalues creativity and ingenuity; and manipulated Asami's father, robbing her of a relationship with him.

I wish there had been a somewhat chaotic, yet free-spirited air bender in season three to contrast Zaheer. He was so dogmatic and focused, it really seemed like he was just paying lip service to "chaos." And his style never showed off the combat applications of a chaotic, go-with-the-flow style. All the new air benders seemed like such total losers, very few seemed enthusiastic or naturally inclined to their role. Isn't bending supposed to be about your mindset, anyway? How come Tenzin never had to face the fact that he ran counter to air bender doctrine with his regimented attitude, just like Zaheer.

Not sure how a non bender would cross over just a random thought I had. But yeah what you're saying is pretty good user. In your version would Amon still be a bender?

Of course they're not serious. The faggot tried to claim that white people in anime look like other anime characters.

What's it like being objectively wrong and calling random anons your favourite boogeyman?

Might as well be with all their hugbox circlejerking and getting triggered by wrongthink.

How would he talk, eat or breathe?

I sadly didn't think this out very well.

I think he has to be, for the Asami vs Amon thing to be meaningful. However, instead of his stupid story about being a victimized flatscan, it was known that he was bender from the start, but he used his own process on himself to weaken his powers, as a show of faith to his earliest followers. So when he demonstrates his full power in the final battle, it's not, "Oh wow, you're a bender, everything I knew is a lie," it looks more like, "Ah, you wanted to do things the right way, but desperate times call for desperate measures." There will be a fracturing of the group, but there are still justifications that keep it from being an off-switch to the equalist movement.

As for the process of removing bending, we need to change it to something that makes more sense. In a world that has already established chakra and the like, manipulating blood vessels in the brain seems too science fiction. Something like next level chi-blocking plus poison, maybe creating a psychosomatic effect. Which explains why he can break it if he needs to.

This could also lead into a more interesting denouement for season 1, where instead of using the deus e- err, I mean avatar state to undo the voodoo on their blood vessels, korra now has to learn to use spirit water to cleanse the poison, and the benders must undergo therapy to regain their bending. And I get that they were making things up as they went along, but wouldn't go well with season 3/4, where we could see other benders return the favor when Korra is trying to recover.

It occurred to me, while trying to come up with the coolest climax possible, that another way to undermine Amon would be to have the head of the Triad be a non-bender. He's just a smart and respected leader, and maybe puts on airs of being a bender, but all along it was his brains and guts that got him where he was. I don't think you would have both him and Asami stick it to Amon, though, as it's thematically redundant. So if we were only doing one season, that might be the better route (of course, this would need to be combined with better writing for the triad, to make them not such two dimensional assholes).

They didn't explain it, but there's precedent for survival without a face. In the comics they meet a guy who lost to Koh, and the only impairment he has is that he can't talk.

thats a really good idea user.

Uppity neighbors nothing, Singaporeans are bloody assholes since their country is so uptight with the law that when they cross the bridge, they drive like maniacs. Though if you want to talk about the Asian version of niggers…look no further than Indians, especially if they are from the South.

POO

Hey, I won't mind law and order as long as they follow the laws of the country they are in as well..in other words, when you cross the bridge don't drive like a bloody headless chicken. It's bad enough we got assholes on the road already, then add in the assholes next door.

Ah yes, build her up to make her sudden but inevitable betrayal all the greater.

Yes…I have ideas of one of her victims being this vigilante who is trying to expose her.

Surprisingly…not a lot.

Nonono, not working for the Equalists, for herself. There was this idea going around Holla Forums at some point that Asami should actually have been some kind of devious mastermind who befriended and used Korra to gain power, first taking everything from her father and then taking over Varrick's assets.
I can't remember the details, just that it would have been a lot more interesting and she'd actually have a distinct role in the series.

Anime characters are white

Are you fucking dense? Of course Shinku looks european. She's, in universe, based off a little european girl and was crafted by a european artist. This would be like making a chart with Xiaolin Showdown characters to to "prove" that western cartoon characters are all secretly Chinese.

That would be interesting, if you replaced "devious mastermind" with "conflicted opportunist." Remember, the whole point is to avoid wooden or flat characters. A long con capped by betrayal is not sufficient to provide a character depth. If she's just an exploitative and conniving, then what's the point? We already had that in Varrick. Twice Korra has been betrayed by people she trusts, so having Asami betray her seems too much.

If you want Asami to be this sort of character, you probably have to replace Varrick's entire arc with hers, and there has to be a much greater focus on genuine interaction with other characters, to keep everything from being a lie. Varrick could still exist, but he would be a clever guy she outplays (a measure of relative power level, if you will). The most important factor is probably her motivation. Is she Harry McDowell from Gungrave? (unlikely, she was never poor and on the streets, or was she adopted? a tad cliche) Does she have a Dr. Doom-esque need to prove herself? Is she demonstrating her superiority by manipulating the base instincts that are present in all humans via economics? Is her attempt to be in control the self-actualization of a pampered child who nearly loses everything, with a dash of inspiration from Korra's brash nature? (if we clean up Korra's character too, it would make sense that Asami might respect her, and the course of their relationship could have an element of "join me, and together etc. etc.")

Her growth and development could also contrast the unwavering, single-minded approach of Korra's other antagonists. There's also a wider theme of an ancient world of conquest and might evolving into a stable geopolitical environment where negotiation and compromise are the tools of the trade.

Sorry for rambling, but I think people would do well to remember that ATLA had few true villains. So when you add complex plot that serve merely as a shocking twist, that's not a service to the characters, and doesn't add quality to the work.

As I said, I don't remember the details.
Don't be, it's good rambling.
I was thinking (very little) more Walter White, at least more in the betrayal - no sudden and impassioned dagger in the back, more of a constant exploitation of contacts and opportunities Korra presents into personal gain, with no plan of ending that relationship and source of profit. Plus some genuine level of friendship.
As for motive besides some vague personal drive for success, I got nothing.

Fedora cuck please go.
He means conceptually and metaphorically.

Ah, wow. That's a bit of a tonal shift. It creates a much more tragic narrative, which might be difficult to convey if they aren't the main character. Without proper focus on Asami's perspective and behind the scenes moments, wouldn't she just look like a manipulative asshole?

Unless, of course, she wins. Which would mean not being exposed and having her actions scrutinized. Narratively, though, I think you have to have some conclusion to her arc: either the exploitation is revealed to tragic results; or she relents in her scheming when she realizes conflict is inevitable and what she has now is more valuable.

PS: I haven't actually seen Breaking Bad, I just know that for some reason Walter rejects help and continues on his dark path, and that it doesn't have a happy ending.

Obviously that's what he meant, which is why you shouldn't have responded to such bait. Have some self-control next time.

Why abandon the magical not-East Asia in favor of an industrialized Chinese slumtown, why age all the characters we cared about to death and replace them with a bunch of characters not designed to be natural, but tailor made to target certain demographics?

Hubris, maybe, on the parts of Dumb and Fuck, who had tremendous help from a creative team who helped them make TLAB good. A team I'm told they proceeded to not consult for Korra, instead opting to write all the scripts themselves.

Oh, not just that. Remember the spirits were literally being chopped up to be burnt as fuel and ammo, yet they refused to team up with Korra, or even independently defend themselves from this aggression?

you also have to consider that white people are closer to what the japanese consider "beautiful", i.e. pale skin, large cranium, small jaw, large eyes, childish features, etc.
it's like when the aztecs thought the conquistadors were gods from across the ocean.

Nickelodeon were getting worried the Spongebob money would run out and were trying to hedge their bets.

It's like how they had Raiko get to be president of Republic City as a step-forward for bender and non-bender relations only to have him framed as a two-bit politician getting in Korra's way. And he did what, not help Korra and Iroh Jr. in their scheme to start a world war?

Bryke has a specialty in undermining what happens.

yeah thats whats so weird about this series. The people they want to portray as grumps getting in Korra's way are the sane ones like Tenzin, Lin Beifong, and Raiko.

They're still doing that with different shit

Not exactly.

What happens is that he finds he has lung cancer and can't afford treatment. On top of that, he has no money to leave to his family should he die since he's been largely struggling to get by for years.

Even though he is a knowledgeable chemist, he's looked down upon by nearly everyone around him. So when the opportunity presents itself for him to make money based on his own abilities so that he can provide for his own family, he takes it even though it involves breaking the law.

Where things get shitty (or shittier) for him is that he finds that trying to make money this way gets him enemies he keeps having to deal with which make things more dangerous for himself.

To add onto the shit sundae that is his life, he is offered help a couple times, but it always comes across as backhanded. Like early on there was a friend that wanted to just give him some pity job where he wouldn't do anything so he'd have some base pay and insurance, but Walt wanted to actually earn his money and so turned it down. He's told a couple times he could abandon everything he'd worked for and just beg for help, but that's sort of the emasculating option that would be hard to imagine going through.

Having Asami be a bit like Walter White, wouldn't be that hard. It's basically just her being carried away by entropy. Maybe her father's business is failing so she starts making some odd weapons to sell. She tells herself it'll just be for a short time, but time flies by and she gains enemies because of the weapons deals, which results in her needing to expand. Possibly pulling in other characters to help her with what on the surface just looks like shady businessmen wanting to mess her over, but below the surface being something more akin to a turf war that she's just rationalizing is just protecting herself because those 'other' people are just so violent and nasty.

It would have added an interesting element to the show, especially with having Korra be her friend since it'd have her conflicted about who exactly is supposed to be the person being protected in that kind of situation. How exactly is a quasi religious figure who has historically been around to help fight for peace supposed to feel when they find they're defending someone engaging in black market weapons dealing?

I could actually see that, as a reaction of guilt: She betrayed her only living family for a friend and own sense of morality, the least she can do is maintain her father's work and not let it go to ruin.
Money can also be a means assist in Korra's battles and related problems, and also repaying Korra if she supports Asami and the Sato business. Money is a very useful power for Korra to lean on.

Yeah it seems like something that could have come across very naturally. That there be some sort of conflict between her father's history and having a friendship with Korra really should have come up at some point given what great story fodder it is.

Anime characters are white by design

Alright, you've convinced me, you can stop derailing now.

They're Japanese, you dumb fuck. Take your shitty image and get the hell out of here, most of those people are generic Asian and not pureblooded Nipponese.

No, he's right.
The modern anime artstyle was inspired by walt disney animations, basically the way they build faces and eyes is derivated from looking at western proportions, not japanese ones.

And by the way, just to make things perfectly clear.
In japan, anime and manga isn't glorified, or worshipped, like you western weebs do.
It's treated as silly shit for little kids, and/or a vessel to sell a product.
The average japanese person doesn't obsess over anime and manga.
In fact, especially at school, liking anime and manga too much marks you as a loser, precisely like it does in the west.

Weebs are weebs because they actually don't understand anything about japanese culture and the reality of the situation over there, they just assume shit works like in the animus they worship.

the truth hurts

So, kinda like cartoons and comics?

Yes.

I want to steal Korra's powers just to protect her and take from her all thsoe responsabilities she can't deal with.

Then impregnate her.

They all end up shilling Korra. Lin gets her past with Tenzin to discredit her, an example of characters who object to whatever Korra's doing hopping aboard the Korra Train and/or getting somehow discredited.

Amon how lewd.

"I've taken care of everything…"

In that order?

Well the characters in Moe anime are western anyway. The worst kind of anime.

sauce?

KakuRenBo: Hide & Seek

thanks user.

I can answer your question.

Ironically from one of the few legacy bands to turn down the chance to reunion tour

They should have had Koh actually do important stuff. Instead of pulling some fanficlike Dark Avatar out of their ass.

If you want to do a Dark Avatar thing, at least do it more of a psychological thing…like say, the Avatar is afraid of using the power of the Avatar because the last time he did that, he nuked his own hometown in a fit of rage..or something.

what was with these little shits getting more importance and screentime after season!

At least try to develop the main cast adequately before moving on to characters no one gave a fuck about

forgot pic

They didn't bring back the head writer aaron.
Listen to the commentary and he's the most passionate and always points out some small detail for many scenes and dialogue

Personally liked him better when he was masked.
As soon as I saw the flashback I lost all love for him.

They tried to make a show that was more like a soap opera. Hence having an overly large cast of characters to follow. This also accounts for the over focus on adults in the cast (see Tenzin's family drama).

The boy was the worst of them all. The voice acting for him is awful and he's just an annoying character all around.

Amon's past flopped from not just how he turned out to be acting up from daddy being mean to him, but also how he had it all dumped late by a side character. They didn't learn to fix it by Book Four, hence Kuvira dumping her being an orphan and how that tied to her dastardly planning at the end.

Flashbacks are honestly one of the worst narrative device to try to flesh out a character

I wouldn't say that. Where would TLA be at without Zuko Alone's flashback?

The flopping of Amon's was down to the deliverer (a side character), when it was delivered (way late in what is supposed to be a self-contained season ), and what was delivered (telling us Amon was acting up from daddy being mean to him).

obligatory
pastebin.com/Zc5wug5A

Thats a good idea. I want to see more of Koh since he tangled with a previous Avatar.