How do we fix FOSS community?

How do we fix FOSS community?
How do we trick those autistic assholes to start working together for the benefit of everyone?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PLAA97f8v5JX5WRZ6DUBSsogXlG4biWinL
gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.en.html
community.schemewiki.org/?emacs-tutorial
gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Scheme/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's FLOSS

For starters I'd encourage more literal programming. It doesn't have to be full-on literal programming, but I don't have enough autism super powers required to read through 4000 lines of uncommented source code.

Fuck, I meant literate programming.

Start by fixing your grammar.

what the fuck is wrong with grammar?

Isn't "Libre" just additional classification for fucktards who assume free beer instead of free speech?
I expect you fags to assume free speech by default.

No, the "Free" is the superfluous pandering-to-fucktards word. The correct term is LOSS, as in "I am at a LOSS as to why you're replying to that post"

OK, I kek'd a bit at the reference

I feel like this is the main problem holding things back.
Too many people write spaghetti code, and no one wants to waste their time reading and learning someone else's spaghetti code.

or as I've recently taken to calling it, | ||/|| |_inux

This is horse shit. Comments do not make anything better and it's tedious to maintain them, because they are not code and go out of sync with the code all the time.

It's better to just use languages where comments are not needed, that means any sane language, or any language except C and C++.

This.
Just look at the shitfest that is rtorrent.

Shitty comments don't help but no comments AND no documentation certainly does not help either.

Code tells me what you are doing, but it doesn't tell me why you are doing it. I'm not saying you need to comment on every line of code in a function, but put a sentence or two down before a larger block to tell me what the purpose of the block is. State what algorithms and data structures you are using, why you made that choice and its limitations. Tell me how your code is structured.

One of the four Freedoms is the ability to learn how the program works, and if the source code is a wild mess of just instructions there is no hope of wrapping your head around it within a reasonable time frame.

Came to post this and it's literally the first post. Maybe not all is lost on the Holla Forums front.

or simply just don’t give a fuck about politics, don't force your opinion about politics in software, because the free/libre software movement isn't about politics it's about the uses of tools for you and everyone else so that you can be in control of your life.

Fixing bad programming
Stop using faggot languages like java or javascript

Read the little schemer
Read SICP

Follow the advices Harold Abelson, Gerald Jay Sussman and RMS

Lecture 1A | MIT 6.001:
youtube.com/watch?v=2Op3QLzMgSY&list=PLAA97f8v5JX5WRZ6DUBSsogXlG4biWinL

My Lisp Experiences and the Development of GNU Emacs:
gnu.org/gnu/rms-lisp.en.html

More about scheme:
community.schemewiki.org/?emacs-tutorial
gimp.org/tutorials/Basic_Scheme/

Learn C
Learn assembly

More useful knowledge:
Learn to read/find the datasheets of the hardware that you buy, if you can't have them then don't buy the hardware

That's a big part of what is making contribution hard for me. I download a repo, look at the code and only see dozens of files lying around with no explanation. Sometimes they don't even bother with a directory structure and just dump everything into the src directory, or even worse in the root of the project.

This. I don't care if someone is a raging faggot who loves to shove a cactus up their ass, keep that crap in the closet and get work done.

Find a good way of funding developers, other than assuming that companies will sponsor everything.

Yeah that worked well last time

It's called proprietary software.

Making software proprietary doesn't magically pay its developer.

ARE YOU SURE?!?!?

Can you elaborate on that?

Yes, me and many other developers makes a living on proprietary software. However, many of us would prefer to make a living on FLOSS given the opportunity.

True, but making money on proprietary software requires a lot less magic.

Never meant to imply that.

Re-read what was posted.

If a sjw says shit it can be easily countered.

They focus on shaming someone by group via good intentions.
In most cases it does not add up, if people dig a bit.
Just show were they are wrong politely.
Read the book "Nonviolent communication a language of life" it helps a lot with zealot people like sjw's.

What I meant before is just that if you have a political opinion don't put it in your software.
Just come shitpost here like always.

There are already multiple ways of living on free software.

You can sell free software but in the long term it's less viable than selling support.

Someone said once:
"You don't sell free software you work around it"

This can work in video games too but the community is so retarded thanks to last decade of retarded anti piracy and shit that it is most likely to not work much.

For video games the best compromises that I can see is that only the content is under a non-copyleft license and the source game engine and scripts are under a free/libre software license.
So you don't sell the code/scripts but you sell the content (art, audio etc...)

And since video games a ephemeral the content should be resealed after two years of exploitation.
And not 15+ years the last game engine that was released in 2016 was serious sam the first encounter (2003) if I don't mistake, witch is a fucking miracle that it did happen.

This is I think would make a renaissance of the video game industry.
And we won't/less have bullshit games like fallout 4 who has the same unchanged game engine than F:NV
With this the modding communities would jizz their pants.

I've only ever seen that work for selling license exceptions or having your software require non-free component. Basically, you're limited to enterprise shit (and very rarely video games) and there's tons of software that doesn't fit into those categories.

Start winning. Most everyone loves a winner OP, and like to be part of something that is pace-setting.

Start by fixing your own sense of entitlement