FUCK

FUCK

Linux is so goddamned hard man. I've been wanting to get into programming and the first step to that is using a good linux distro. I've been trying to install Gentoo all day with the help of my friend and the wiki guide and I kept running into problem after problem, finally hitting a dead end when the kernel refused to fucking install.

The thing really that bugs me is that I won't give up because quitting is for queers, but this process is making me so angry the entire time so when I finish installing it I won't even be satisfied, I'll just be bitter.

How do people do this? Why is it so hard? Did any of you pull it off?

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/
slackbuilds.org/
slackware.com/~alien/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Sorry to tell you this, but you are a retard.

Linux isn't hard at all, you just have really fucking terrible reading comprehension and can't follow a Wiki page

Linux is a pile of fucking shit for a whole bunch of reasons, but not because its hard. If Linux was hard to install then there wouldn't be so many fucking retards using it (c. Holla Forums)

It isn't hard, you're just using a distro specifically made to be pretty bare-bones out of the box and more cumbersome than it should be.
If you never used Linux, then just install Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Xubuntu or something like that.

if you *really* want a barebones distro to start with, try Arch Linux. A pain in the ass for beginners, sure, but more tolerable than Gentoo.

Linux isn't hard. You're making it hard.

Actually I think it's because I don't understand any of the commands or architecture and since I'm jumping into a distro that assumes you know what you are doing, the process will be very grueling for me.

I wouldn't have an issue learning to use linux. I learn quickly. Problem is that it is hard to install. I was taught by my father that the best way to learn things way to jump into the highest difficulty level.

try mint or something similar for your first distro, gentoo is good but it is literally the hardest one to install

I thought Slackware was the hardest. He should try Arch

Well if you want that then I'd recommend Slackware. It's as simple as you can get in a Linux distro right now. Gentoo is only hard in that takes an interminable amount of time to compile things for a minimal payoff.

And unlike advice you're going to get, don't use Arch unless you like constant upgrades and breakages inherent in a rolling release system. I used it on my desktop for a few years many moons ago and it was usually a pain. Currently, I use Arch on my laptop and am beginning to remember why I dumped it.

Slackware eh? I'll give it more of a look. From what I'm skimming on it now it seems like it was compatible with older IBMs. Must be very time-tested.

Why does it have to be gentoo if you are going to do programming? I'm sure any mature distro will do it for coding. Say, for example, debian or mint (I have experience only from these two). If you need Gentoo for some spesific thing, sure, then install it but if you are just starting, why bother? You can learn basics with any (again, mature) distro as your environment. It seems to me that you have fallen seriosly into the "install gentoo"-meme.

Installation-wise Slackware is dead simple. Just partition and then run the installer basically. It's in the management where you'll actually learn stuff as the system doesn't get in your way.

Dates back to '92 so you'll see greybeards touting it. I use it because of the stability and lack of enigmatic tooling. It's the most BSD-like of the Linuxen. And on that note give some *BSDs a look over if you want a more bare-bones experience.

Official unofficial forum: linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/
Official unofficial extra package repo: slackbuilds.org/
Official cool dude: slackware.com/~alien/

I guess I have. just didnt want to be weak

How to Linux:

the secret to linux (and similarly to programming) is picking appropriate tasks to learn how to do things. basically you pick a problem that you have, research your options to resolving it, choose the solution that suits you, and do it until it is done, no matter how far down the rabbit hole you must go.
a lot of people get their first challenge with networking, or graphics, or audio. some will have trouble installing certain libraries and have to work around. others choose arch and have to work before they even have a file system.
if you have a particular issue you want to work on, suggest it. someone might be able to point you in the right direction.

A pretty naive way to learn anything.

Trying to learn everything at once will lead you to learning nothing at all.
Splitting problems up in to discrete areas is historically and factually provable the best way to learn anything.

I don't know what problems I want to solve with programming though user

MEANT FOR

Post THAT PICTURE of That Black Guy Screaming…

OK then. Your first goal is to write something to download all the images from an Holla Forums thread.

Your quickest route is probably going to be through pure Python and it's standard libraries. That's what I recommend.

If you're really really interested in going hard then do it in C using libcurl for transfer protocol handling and either pcre or libxml2 for parsing. I really don't suggest that route though.

i fucked a boxing bag once.

Install Gentoo

you dont start programming by installing linux =D

Wouldnt he need to know HTML?

a couple years ago, I tried to install Debian on my desktop and fail miserably. Last year I installed Puppy Linux on GRUB on my old laptop, and succeeded. I don't even use it, I prefer win7 for gaymes and getting actual shit done since I'm not a neet. Go ahead, judge me.

why weren you able to install debian?

Also linux is mostly for helping you keep focused on programming and having an autistic amount of control over how your system works and other intricacies most people wouldn't and couldn't care about even if they understood the implication.

If that's not you, then linux is useless for you.

if i could install arch, you can install debian.

It took me like 6+ months of casual installing to get it working. If you just follow the install guide you could probably get it done in a month, but I had some shit I wanted special.
It starts to get really frustrating when python, the kernel, gcc, gets a major update, and then you delete the older version without properly installing the newer version.

You might want to start making tar backups like I did!
Or you can just install Manjaro Linux and get shit done.

This is a bunch of baloney.

USE Flag 'sparc64-freebsd' not in IUSE

Yeah, a little but HTML has been an essential part of the world for quite a while now. He'd just need to know that there's a start tag and an end tag. If he uses a regexp he actually only have to grep for href=something.jpg mostly.

It's a useful and attainable goal that once he finishes he can say he knows a little bit about programing. He can be proud of himself and determine if he wants to continue his study or not.

How does it take a month to install Gentoo? Granted, I haven't used it in quite a while but I don't remember it taking that long even on my hypercored P4. I'm going to try gentoo in QEMU tonight and see what you're on about.

That's endemic in a rolling release system. Hence why I don't use/recommend Arch or its derivatives as a daily use case.

You are a retard. Start with Ubuntu 14.04 or Mint 17.3