ITT: Films that were better than the book they were based on

ITT: Films that were better than the book they were based on

American Psycho. Fight Club. The Godfather.

none of those took much to be better than the book tbqh

Blade Runner was a shit film but Phillip K Penis is an even worse writer so obviously.

American Psycho is really brought down by the random and numerous detours the author makes to describe clothing and food. He was trying to make a point about yuppie consumption and shallowness but it really fucks up the pacing of the plot.

Pics related.

Fuck off with that shit. Stanisław Lem was a god and the film adaptations of Solaris are frankly a insult to his work.

If Lem wasn't so senile during the production, Solaris would turn out to be far better. The Strugatsky brothers gave useful inputs instead of being senile like Lem was in Stalker's writing.

The Godfather
Apocalypse Now
LOTR trilogy

This thread is pretty much 100% bullshit so far but I will say there are at least three or four Dracula adaptations that are better than the not-overly-spectacular book

all the harry potters
the shining

twilight

the book was so goddamn awful, the movie was barely better, but better nonetheless.

kek, no

Philip K Dick was not a very good writer. Despite how interesting as some of his ideas were, his writing just doesn't flow well. His characters were flat, and the way he described technology always made it sound like something out of The Jetsons.

I recently watch blade runner for the first time. After all the hype i have heard about this movie I didnt get the film I was expecting. The tech felt un inspired and it felt a little slow and boring. Why do people think deckard was a replicant?

Pris is best girl

Wrong.

Good choice.

I used to love it, until I read the book and realized they butchered it for muh feels and muh progressivism. Now I consider it no more than a theme park run, a Syd Mead exhibition.

Replicants are a metaphor for niggers, in Blade Runner. "Why can't we all get along multiculturally, why is the white man so exploitive!". When originally the message was the opposite: our psyche is our homeland and the irreconciliable gap between man and machine will be filled. There is a very chilling scene with Pris torturing a bug, to explain that no, something that sees and talks like us is not enough to be called a human.

Also, the world building makes no sense, most of the time. Why the fixation on animal related questions, in the voight kampf test? Because in the book, it was an actual plot point: if you can't feel empathy for the almost extinct fauna of earth (everyone's obsessed with real and fake animals, as status symbol), then you're an imitation.

Same with the plot: poor Rachel, she doesn't pass the test and discovers she wasn't human after all! It makes replicants look like idiots. In the book, she knew damn well and Tyrell were actually trying to cheat Deckardt and create a precedent with the Voight Kampf failing on a next generation model. But he knows damn well not to trust jews.

will (not) be filled

t. autist

the golden compass

:^)

show bagina

whore

Never seen it

Tarkovsky didn't want to direct a bland science fiction movie. He wanted to emphasize on the dilemma of scientific discovery, when man is forced to abandon morals but at the same time wants to create their own morals.

The Stalker and all the characters in the film have much more complex motivation than the book. The Stalker for instance, Redrick in the book went into the Zone to ask the Wish Granter to heal Monkey. Stalker in the film didn't even want to enter the Room, he was there to help other people despite his own life was in miserable condition. It's much more spiritual than the book, and therefore is more whole as a form of art.

Pretty much anything Kubrick did.

A Clockwork Orange
Whatever he adapted into Eyes Wide Shut
2001: A Space Odyssey

The novel was anything but bland. Tarkovsky jettisoned the actual themes of the inability of wholly alien beings to communicate meaningfully of the novel in favor of emotional pap. He failed utterly in every way it was possible of telling the story of Solaris and instead created his own fan fiction version which missed the point by a country mile.

I concur.

Here's a higher quality one user.

I find the idea of alien story to be a kind of overplayed and banal. Was the novel even about alien? It wasn't explicitly mentioned, everything was speculation if I can recall. Scientific plot that emphasizes itself on the science, I think, is bound to be banal.

It's stupid to dismiss Stalker as an "emotional pap", it was a very emotionally neutral film. It didn't try to stir your emotion, instead it explored the depths of human psychology and spirituality. There's a question of the meaning of passion and how the writer and the scientist were not driven by passion. Even the Zone itself acts in the unique way, it only kills those who are not worthy of it's secret. Stalker isn't an expert of the Zone, because the Zone is not an anomaly that can be studied. Even the scifi theme is more unique than the book.

A film adaptation is bound to be a fan fiction. A book read by a thousand readers will turn into a thousand books. And a book can't be translated into cinema as a book. Tarkovsky was very sincere in adapting Strugatsky's and Lem's books, he expressed how those books were very meaningful to his life. To take their works in a personal way, I think is the most honorable gift for those who created the works.

Goethe's Faust is an overrated meme novel. Great poetry, meme story. Sokurov's Faust is more unique and profound.

Thomas Mann's Doctor Faustus >>> Sokurov's Faust > Doctor Faustus > Goethe's Faust

This.

wew lad. since you faggles are curious, i was in high school when that movie had come out, and a friend of mine told me it was a quick way to get with girls (this was before developing specific taste, pussy was pussy unless she was flat as a board and ugly as my ballsack, or weighed more than me). so for shits n giggles, i read the book, while contemplating suicide after every page, then sat down to watch the movie because i thought pattinson was decent as MUH BOY in harry potter and kstew a qt.

i will of course, never do such a thing again. it isn't worth it just to get a leg, which didn't happen.

nah man, i'm sorry, you're still a fag

try again neckbeard.

gb2 jerk off to your sparkling vampires, queer

2/10 i replied

seriously kid, you can do better than that.

Man, I remember this shit happening, back in 2010

Откажитесь от водки