Homesteading General (the prep boards are dead pls no bully)

You don't have to wait for some disaster to strike to start living independently. Obviously one part of Prepping is storing up food and having a gun, but the other half is long term survival through economic catastrophe.
Homesteading is more than prepping though. Living a simple independent life close to nature is a good in itself, and if you do it right, should reduce your expenses immensely. Just a hundred years ago most people in the west lived without electricity or gas, and lived reasonably comfortably. Through independent living you fight global consumerism and the influence of the government on your life without creating danger for yourself, but instead making your life more safe and secure.

ITT: We share homesteading experiences, tips, plans, etc

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hügelkultur
homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Battery-Operated-Timer-with-Valve-57860/202694591?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-Plumbing|&gclid=CMzpjO-B7M0CFZA2aQodAQ8EEA&gclsrc=aw.ds
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation
webpal.org/SAFE/aaarecovery/1_farm_recovery/ftpfiles/the_have_more_plan.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=OiGof48XVCQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_biology#Photosynthesis
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

what do u think about, gardentowers(pic related)
are they any good?
was planning to build a much bigger one and plant potatoes..

Thor, are you some kind of practise agressive kike that you ask people not to bully you, hoping they will?

If you have literally no space I can see the appeal, but it's a lot of labor for plants that are only going to get half the sun exposure from this method. It reminds me of hugelbeds though which are good for growing in poor soil. I've also seen potato hilling towers that were similar to your pic but you have to keep in mind the reason for hilling potatoes. Covering the new bottom branches in dirt every week or two encouraged production of new potatoes from those stems. Potato fields have hills around their potatoes maybe a foot an a half tall but if you build a frame around a single potato plant and continuously add to the walls and dirt as it grows you can get a fuckton of potatoes from a single plant. I've also seen it done with tires.

Haven't posted on here much before, wasn't sure if the mods were gonna delete this thread for being mildly off topic, looks like we're good though fam

if you have a lawn what the fuck do you think youre doing NOT growing food in it you nigger? hand water your shit multiple times in 1 day REALLY soak it in good, then wait 3-4 days and do it again - thatll get the roots growing nice and deep

We've had homesteading/permaculture threads plenty of times before and they're always welcome. It's a topic that is highly relevant.

Honestly I'm always amazed how few people have gardens, especially herb gardens. Just practically speaking you can plant your herbs in fucking flower pots and they're not any harder to maintain than house plants, plus you get infinite fresh herbs. Considering how expensive spices are and that herb seedlings only cost a couple bucks I just have to assume that people are retarded.

People are just lazy and non-committal. You could tell and teach them about this shit and they still wouldn't do it.

I think it has more to do with values and consumerism than work ethic. People will put hours into phone games or some shit and not take the time to fix something themselves. People aren't taught to be proud of the things they make or fix themselves, nor are people proud to be self sufficient.

I'm starting to think that it'll take nothing short of another fucking great depression for people to snap out of it.

are bean teepees more efficient than a trellis with strings hanging down? do you get sunlight issues with them?

Unfortunately, there isn't a spot in my yard that gets sunlight for more than a couple hours. If I had an area that got at least six hours, I'd definitely have a garden. As it stands, I only have one tomato plant that I have to move around the yard three or four times a day. No way am I moving multiple plants around several times throughout the day.

That said, I have 15+ tomatoes growing on my one plant. Can't wait to eat them.

Is it possible to effectively grow vegetables if I am away from home ~12 hours a day?

I can't think of any issues with a bean teepee other than collection of the beans that hang on the inside being harder than with normal trellises, I think it's more of a space thing, like if you don't want to devote a whole row to beans.

Totally, just make sure your garden isn't too large that you can't manage it with the time you have, so I'd start small. Also checking the weather and watering plants in the morning during a dry summer, though honestly not attending your garden for a while won't hurt it.

You could even leave for a week or two if the weather permits, like if there's rain scheduled. Adult plants don't even need to be watered every day. Just make sure the weeds are under control if you leave, and you could always pay a neighbor to water them if you're gone.

Absolutely. Look into an automatic watering gizmo if you can't be there for 24hrs or more (and no-one else can get at your place). You only need to weed once a week or so. Its harvesting daily that's the trick.

I like the idea. But I live in an apartment in a city. No yard, no space.

I've tried growing herbs in small planters, but haven't been able to keep them alive.

I want to be self-sufficient, but I don't have 60 grand just sitting around to spend on land, building a home and getting plants and animals established.

biulding that home is going to be at least another $100K, and that's not even with interior finishing. At least in my neck of the woods.

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you go for an Earthship style home and do most of the work yourself, the actual price of the house isn't that much.

If you're trying to build an actual normal house out on the land then yeah you need 150k+

im looking at cheap, old farmhouses on some acreage. may need some work, but it's cheap-ish, and I can do most everything myself, but fuck siding and roofing; i'll pay mexicans.

Xommunity Gardens user. or one of these: Seek out geezers who need help. Look for families that clearly don't know what to do with their green space and offer 50% of the crop. Realtors who have property that they can't unload - you do the lawn and front border for free and get x sq. yards in the back.

Probably overwatering.

Some of you guys might have seen these little acre homestead layouts before. Honestly they're cute but there are a ton of problems with them.

In the first image, that's not nearly enough hay to keep a cow, and the cow would tread that pen into mud. You'd have to feed it a ton of grain and hay from the outside which costs a ton, not to mention cows are the least efficient animal when it comes to turning grass into meat/hay. the most you could keep on an acre or a half an acre like this is a pig or two, a goat or two, (if you have brush for them to graze on) and the chickens. The idea of owning animals is that you're getting their products for cheaper than you would buying them from the outside, and they convert things you can't use (grass and brush for goats, food waste for pigs and chickens, bugs and grass for chickens) into something useful, like meat eggs and milk. If you have to buy lots of grain to supplement their diet then you either have too many animals or you're doing something wrong.

The second picture could easily keep a couple cows OR some 6 or 7 sheep if you rotated them between pastures but you couldn't keep ALL those animals. Also grains are a poor choice of starch crops and they grow best in brier soils. Potatoes and corn are more efficient when it comes to food produced per space.

These drawings are cute and fanciful but not really practical at all. Animals take tons of land and even a large garden would require fallow rows.

kek, whoops

buy an old shitty farmhouse or something that needs work. That's what my family did.

Dat hivemind.

Those are some general layout ideas. But more importantly, where are you going to live? Every location carries with it certain benefits (low prices, good soil, decent weather, etc.), but also risks (large populations of the poor and ignorant, Draconian laws, proximity to fault lines, etc.).

Maybe the better question is, where DON'T you want to live?

so far the hardest part has been finding one with a basement. I really don't want it on stone.

How do you preserve meat, vegetables etc. assuming you can't use a freezer?

I live in ohio and there are tons of great places for homesteading. Land is cheap AND the economy isn't complete shit, and there are lots of mixed suburb / agricultural areas where the plots are 2 or 3 acres each. I'm sure there are similar places in indiana and pennsylvania though

Man I wish I lived in those times when the land was fresh and you could literally just claim land in your name.

underground cache?

The old fashoned way user. Canning and drying for veggies, drying in salt and smoking for meat, cheese for dairy.

So true. That's why gardening forums never really work beyond species specific knowledge because it is all so local. My location averages 10 degrees warmer than 10 miles W and 5 degrees cooler than 10 miles E. Some days we can watch the rain fall the other side of the valley and never see a drop.

Volunteer on other guys land. Average farmer age is nearly 60. You'll learn to work half-days. Doesn't matter whether its morning or afternoon, just so long as its a full 12 hours.

Not forgetting tubs of lard and my favourite, casks of booze.

Also remember most of the calorie crops of old were things like potatoes, grain and corn which are easy to store and keep. Just keep the grain dry and the potatoes in a cool dark place.

Sounds disgusting, lads

hugelkultur are great! I recommend.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hügelkultur

I just bought some lard at the store the other day. Fries things really well and makes some mean biscuits. Not sure why there's such a taboo against it. Butter, margarine and lard are all 100% fat after all.

Pennsylvania has shit property tax laws, it'll cost you a lot more to homestead here than elsewhere, which is a shame because PA is absolutely gorgeous imo. Wolfe has turned it into a liberal haven here.

Yep. What said

irrigation timer from Home Depot

homedepot.com/p/Orbit-Battery-Operated-Timer-with-Valve-57860/202694591?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D26P-Plumbing|&gclid=CMzpjO-B7M0CFZA2aQodAQ8EEA&gclsrc=aw.ds

How can you protect your garden from heavy rain and strong wind from damaging your plants?

There's a ton of college hippies going around working on organic farming projects and veggie subscription services. That's a great way to get experience.

I only eat butter. Fry with olive oil.

Lard is great but it will fur your arteries.

Margarine was invented as way to make pigs eat more vegetable oil. The pigs didn't refused to eat it. But ThePowerofAdvertising (tm) works on humans. Turns out pigs were smarter because you need cholesterol to keep alzheimers at bay.

Rabbits are an excellent source of meat that can be raised in a small area. Best kept in wire cages for the sake of hygiene, don't try any stupid hippy bullshit keeping them all together in a large open enclosure since male rabbits can and will kill each other and female rabbits tend to attack the young of others.

You are right. You would be better off with 3 acres somewhere cheap and to build green houses instead. You can make a lot more food in a green house than you can trying to manage a urban farm.

You need other stuff to supplement your diet though

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

I always liked the idea of homesteading but how do people pay for the property taxes? What state has the cheapest land that's good for this?

Green house and for heavy rain sub drainage

In order of preference
1. Move somewhere nicer
2. Greenhouse
3. Kitchen garden walls
4. mesh netting
If waterlogging is a real problem, you have to build up the soil above the layer that doesn't drain, and if necessary put your growing earth over a gravel base over a geotextile membrane.

where do you live fam, florida?

Yeah

might wanna get away from the coast. florida's known for swamps and oranges, not gardens really

sub surface irrigation if you a farming outside, if you are worried about the wind grow indoor make your starts inside under lights then mover outside to greenhouses.

Have you ever used coconut to amend your soil? I bought a truckload of these bricks a while back to deal with bathtubbing in some raised beds and man, home fucking run. I recommend augmenting your soil/compost mixture with ~40% coco rather than using pearlite or vermiculite. The stuff is 30% air even fully saturated and compressed. Miraculous product I'd recommend to anyone gardening in areas with a lot of rain. I have a little greenhouse that I decided to set up a hydroponic system in, and I just replaced my net pots with a flood/drain system using pure coco in contractor fabric beds. Still soiless, but your root systems are so much more robust and can support heavier fruits. I'm growing eggplants without trellising with no problems so far. Anyone looking to stockpile supplies for gardening should get a bunch of 10kg compressed bricks, you won't regret it.

if you have a lawn what the fuck do you think youre doing NOT growing food in it you nigger? hand water your shit multiple times in 1 day REALLY soak it in good, then wait 3-4 days and do it again - thatll get the roots growing nice and deep>>6667351

but why aint u growin weed tho fam

Well I have some trees and potatoes outside already, a month or two ago a storm and topped a mango tree down

Back in the day people's nutrition was pretty poor in the winter, mostly made up of dry starchy foods. The concept of a spring tonic was to gain vitamin c fast from the new spring seedlings. Lambs-quarter and watercress are super vitamin rich and early sprouts. Also never underestimate the power of a good liver

oops, let me retard slip out for a second there

cause I ain't risking prison when other people can do it for me

Because I'm allergic to weed. Also, don't be an idiot and use organic soil amendments. Another thing I stockpile are 25lb bags of these guys. Using Jack's @ 3gram/gallon and calcium nitrate @ 2gram/gallon with a dash of epsom salt. That formulation is flawless, I use it on my lawn, my garden, my greenhouse, and my indoor stuff. Jack's is dirt cheap and will grow tits on a lizard, buy 20 bags of each and you'll eat for a lifetime. Weird that prepper fags stockpile everything but fertilizer.

Anyone ever composted using worms? Vermicomposting seems pretty decent for people who don't have access to a lot of "brown" materials.

The Have More Plan is an interesting classic book.
Have a look:
webpal.org/SAFE/aaarecovery/1_farm_recovery/ftpfiles/the_have_more_plan.pdf

Takes forever and it lacks a lot of trace elements. Worms are a not a cure-all and composting is far more expensive than going with water soluble fertilizers. I've seen a lot of people waste huge amounts of money on something they see as "sustainable", only to have very poor soil quality. You'll be missing essential things like boron, copper, and molybdenum that are only supposed to be there in very small quantities. Then you get boric acid or concentrated trace minerals to amend the compost and wind up burning the fuck out of everything. My neighbor had a boron problem with his filbert orchard and wound up killing half his trees with improperly measured boric acid (you need a TINY amount but it is absolutely necessary). It's way too much headache, I'd rather have all that taken care of in laboratory formulations of general purpose salts.

Anyone tried back to eden gardening? The soil here is bad, and I was considering this.

youtube.com/watch?v=OiGof48XVCQ

Preppers are on enough government lists, I don't think buying a half a ton of fertilizer would be a good idea.

more self-sufficiency diagrams plox

this is the problem. there are place where you can get free land, but there are no jobs so you won't be able to pay the mortgage etc

user as soon as someone decides to buy 100 acres of land and invites any polack to live on it, if they help share the large cost, leading to poltown

i will be happy to join in that Home steading Town, till then, all i have is some pickling Cucumbers, tomatoes brock, brussel sprouts and onions and potatoes growing on my vary small property (just made Pickles BTW hope they come out alright

based on these maps Wyoming seems to be the best state

For anyone with land with a ton of brush or orchards, goats are perfect. They're pretty efficient when it comes to space and amount of food they eat / milk and meat converted. A family near my house had 2 goats on their quarter acre 'farm' and it worked out nicely.

There's an easy solution to that one; homemade fertilizer. You can make a real good one out of hand powdered granite (use a vice clamp and paper bags), soil and flour. After all, what is soil but ground rock with organic plant matter mixed in?

I did this once to a plum tree we reduced to a stump to kill off a parasitic infection, and within a year of burying the mix at it's roots and watering it once a week, it started producing fruit. Now, ten years later it produces 5 pails a summer.

I got it out of a book of (((suppressed))) inventions. You know the ones. Some goy invents a car that runs on water, or a new method of processing fuel, or a legitimate cure for cancer and (((they))) shut it down. Can't lose them sheckles.

Its like you don't want to be well-nourished.

this was medieval england you dork

From some relatives, managing a perhaps half-acre organic greenhouse is about 30-35h/week, not that much really. This was tomatoes and cucumbers so each plant was tall also.

Unless all you have is a balcony, don't bother.

I know rural and small town people have more gardens then they did a decade ago. I grew up around farmers and we were the only non-anabaptist family that had a garden.

I've got a fair amount of herbs, but herbs and spices have gotten much cheaper at hippie stores in recent years. Nothing at a regular grocery store compares to how cheap it is. And it's frequently a much cheaper way to plant your own from seed, even when most of the seeds aren't viable.

Most of my former friends were the type who built a lot of their own stuff, welded, wired, etc. but not a single one cared about their food in the least. Then again, I'm the only one who remembered childhood as being almost constantly hungry, so that may be the difference.

People talked about 'the great depression is why aunt clara always did whatever,' but I don't know. My family had no problem with food during the depression, yet we all eat absolutely everything off our plates, worry about leftovers, keep every random scrap we can for chickens, etc.

About 5 years ago I was sitting chatting with my oldest friends, and slowly I was the only one talking. Everyone else had their faces into their phones. I know it wasn't boredom, because these are the guys who can chitchat about weather.

I haven't spoken to a single one in at least 3 years now.

Granted.

Huh, that was actually less than I thought I had.

Yeah it's a minefield at the grocer, though not at all impossible.

Alright brothers, I'm at an fork in the road here.

When her dad talks to me about the farm, you can tell he loves it. I have immense respect for him, but I feel like I would be so out of my element. Is there any overlap in my skills that would translate well to any aspect of running a large farming operation? Are there any pitfalls for working for your father in law's business that I should be aware of? Any advice is appreciated really.

pic is horse standoff at assateague

Learn it from the beginning. Talk to her dad, ask him to teach you anything you can learn.

handyman stuff is an important part of farm work. Animal and plant stuff is somewhat removed though. Why not try it out for a while, ask him or your gf to show you the ropes

check out oceansolutions, they have a certified organic product that does exactly what you just described (providing trace micronutrients)

if by mine field you mean a field compost of nothing but mines then yes your right

fun fact, in the US at some point in the change a gmo was used in the making of a food Product, also GMO are just what we do with other foods done faster

literally every skill you will learn on a farm will make you a more handy, richer individual. consider that growing your own food is equivalent to printing your own money

Yeah, when they start talking plants I glaze over.

If you are an inquisitive person, plants should fascinate you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_biology#Photosynthesis

you're a dork. plants are cool

Didn't mean it that way. There's just so much to learn that it seems like you almost have to grow up in it to understand it all.

Don't do hugelbeds if you don't have enough room between your house and the hugelbed. Chances are it will be too close to your home and attract termites.
If you need to change the soil into something more fertile I suggest worms and green manure. I live in a state with lots of clay and changed it from red dirt to dark brown and nearly black in the course of a few years.

Appreciate it.

Working for your FiL will either make you or break you. My boss is effectively doing this and he is a petulant manchild due to never growing out of a better mans shadow.

Learn the ropes from him and then start a soft contract where you rent a portion that you can manage from his place and grow it as you are able to.

I'm a sysadmin who got into permaculture. One day I just blissed out thinking of the number of instantiated concurrent processes that I was supposed to keep track of. Then there's the chemical signalling they're doing amongst themselves… And yet, they're mostly self-healing and self-correcting. Systems thinking adapts to a permaculture setup, and it doesn't automatically mean hippies.

well the good thing for you is that veggies belong to different families that have similar needs and pest problems, so that makes learning about specific plants easier. Other than that there's soil composition and what families of plants like what kinds of soils, soil nutrients and how to manage nitrogen aka nitrogen fixation, and soil microorganisms. So not too much.
just as a couple of random examples, tomatoes, potatoes, and eggplants are all nightshades and are effected by the same bugs, can tolerate a wide range of soils (though different climates, tomatoes like it hot) and use up nitrogen.
The onion family, which includes onions, leeks, garlic, and I think fennel, all thrive in soil with lots of organic matter and don't do well in poor soil.

He's a simple, loving, family man. Don't expect him to act any way other than I've seen him but you never know. Thanks for the input.
The thought of a farm being a concurrent self healing system did just give me a slight chub.

I'm going to have to study my ass off I feel like. Categorizing them like you said will definitely help.

if you wanna divide pants even more simply you can divide them between plants that fix nitrogen and plants that don't. Nitrogen is the most important nutrient you'll need to manage though there are other micro nutrients you can supplement the soil with.
Beans, peas, clover, and I think alfalfa all fix nitrogen, aka pump nitrogen into the soil. All those plants have symbiotic relationships with nitrogen producing microbes in little white nodes allong their roots. The rest of the crops you might plant use up nitrogen instead. after a year or two of growing wheat or corn, the farmer might plant the field with soybeans, alfalfa for hay, or make a clover pasture so the soil can regain nitrogen.

Teaming with Microbes is the go-to resource for soil food web information and would be a good supplement to whatever knowledge you acquire along the way. The cannabis community as a whole is just realizing how important living creatures are to the quality of your soil and thus your plant. Good growin!

Thanks m8s

Botany fag here, second this, I pushed this WAY before it became popular with the dudeweedlmao crowd, works great if you have soft water. If you have hard water sources, 20-10-20 works fine with or without epsom salts depending on the Mg content of the water source.

(apologies for samefagging)

Forgot to mention, ask away about any plant questions, I not only have managed LARGE commercial greenhouses in the past, but have grown approximately 90% of my calories for over 5 years. Meat, cheese, and butter are all I need that isn't produced on my land technically, and deer + wild pork is the main source of meat.
Know both the chemicalfag and hippiefag ways of growing stuff, my advice is to keep the organic matter high like a hippiefag, don't spray chemicals unless you are doing triage on some sort of rare/valuable plant (i.e, your favorite peach is getting decimated by something, spray once), stockpile for prepping but don't use chemical pesticides (better to have and not need, etc), but go all fucking out on the water-soluble ferts like the Jack's above.
If you want to increase the organic matter on the cheap on derelict land, grow a cover crop with some nutrients and plow under vs trucking something in for pay. Anything you can get for free without weed seeds (this means not horse manure unless you compost the fuck out of it, WEED SEEDS GALORE) is a good addition for the most part. Animals are always a good addition to a 'homestead'.

Etc, etc, etc, I don't know what you guys already know, try and stump me with difficult questions and I'll do my best to put them to rest.

how do you feel about soluble kelp like that maxicrop stuff and do you know a source that isn't maxicrop's 5000% dudeweed markup?

are there any actual benefits to using a weaker organic fertilizer instead of a stronger chemical fertilizer?

I've used it in the past, works well for what it is, don't know what sort of 'magical properties' it has as opposed to jacks or something,

IMHO you would get just about the same (albeit stinkier) benefits by just fermenting alfalfa pellets (read- rabbit food) in water, or else just buy kelp powder (sold for food lol) for a couple bucks a pound and do the same.

Process- get a bucket/rain barrel/ water container, fill with preferably rain/distilled/reverse osmosis water or else let the tap water sit for ~24 hours a la fish tanks, PREFERABLY but not necessarily add a bit of water from a goldfish bowl or fish tank (bacteria without parasites, speeds shit up since it contains nitrating bacteria) add kelp/rabbit food, let the shit rot until you decide its ready. Alfalfa stinks like shit, kelp does too, it *eventually* stops reeking which is what the maxicrop type shit is. They just rot it until it all dissolves. The maxicrop powder is just freeze dried/whatever drying method they use on said liquid.

Theoretically you could do the same with just yard weeds or some shit but I never tried it on any but a small scale. The fish water isn't necessary but does help, the biofilters contain bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate which de-stinks it a lot faster and prevents off-gassing of the nitrogen (which is a lot of what you want).

That's what I concluded, too. Wyoming also is the most armed state in America by a huge margin, less than 1% nigger and some of the lowest crime rates in the country.

The "weak organic" vs "strong chemical" is mainly a meme, you can mix up chemical fertilizers very weak if you wish and organic doesn't mean weak (like a plant burned with fresh chicken shit).

The main benefit of organics is they generally increase the organic matter content of the soil, as they contain carbon along with the nutrients, and they are generally easier to use without fucking it up. The 'chem fertilizers bad' comes a lot from dumb-ass farmers using it without any sort of measurement or else using large amounts infrequently.

The best way to use chemical fertilizers IMHO is to use a fertilizer injector, anything from a $15 hozon injector to a $200 dosatron or dosamatic, then you can mix the chem ferts at a 150-200x concentrate in a bucket and proportion it out to the plants in very low, calibrated doses every time you water. Rinse and repeat until the grid goes down and you are enriching your soil, both in an 'organic' sense and in a chemical sense as long as you plow under plenty of organic matter on a regular basis.

Basically, not taking into account the fact that wood etc takes nitrogen to rot, wood chips/rotten sawdust + chem fertilizers = manure or compost over a long period of time. The soil or plants don't give a fuck where the nitrate, phosphate, etc come from, or the carbon content for that matter. For raised beds, I do like coconut coir and the like, and remember to add lots of perlite/NAPA auto parts #8822 oil dry to any potting soil you use for potted plants since NONE have enough.

On the other hand, do some research into terra preta/adding charcoal/partially burnt wood into the soil, I've heard some very interesting things about it and the science adds up. My stuff grows good already and I've only been doing it on a small scale for a few years so I don't know how well it works in the long term, though the charcoal doesn't seem to break down, which is a good thing.

Any suggestions for increasing potato yields? I only get two to three tubers per plant even after hilling them.

No, plants take up only what they need through regulating osmotic pressure in their root cells. You shouldn't use "strong" fertilizers, rather maintain a consistent ppm in your watering around 1100-1300 for most medium sized plants. Pounding plants with fertilizer burns them, not because of nitrogen, rather the osmotic pressure pushing too much into the root cells. Strength isn't really the issue, if you're using organic fertilizers like soil ammendments, measure your runoff water to see if you need more or less ionic concentration. I hate weedfags that think roots work like a straw, hormones and complex carbohydrates are useless other than maintaining osmotic pressure through NOT being absorbed.

Botanyfag, what's the deal with brux levels and do they really matter? Also, are you as obsessive about vapor pressure deficit in your greenhouse as I am, and is mycorrhizae inoculation is a waste of time (I think so)?

When your FIL talks to you about this stuff, TAKE NOTES. Carry one of those pocket-sized notebooks and start writing this shit down, he's not going to live forever. Maybe in a couple years you can write a book about what you learned.

Do a soil test, that would be the #1 thing to do, assuming you're getting plenty of light it would be impossible to determine without a soil test. My first guess assuming full sun and assuming they are growing luxuriously is too much nitrogen, and not enough potassium. That being said, restrict the potassium a bit and the potatoes are a bit more nutritious.

TBH, not particularly, at least for most plants. I worried a lot more about humidity/VPD a long time ago when I did consulting for dudeweed, mainly because of mold/spider mites/etc. It's humid as fuck most of the year here, very hot, so the VPD tends to be low.

Brix content is a measure of sugars/dissolved solids in the leaf or whatever you're measuring (I used to do it with tomatoes and watermelons on the fruit to determine quality). It is generally a measure of quality, higher brix=better plant especially when you are talking leaf content. Basically, it matters when you are trying to do a variety trial or trying to improve quality, more a measure of overall plant health or in the case of fruits the tastiness.

Mycorrhizae inoculation depends on the plant a lot and also depends on the conditions you are growing it in. Take blueberries or anything in the heath family, they absolutely have to have mycorrhizae to thrive. Other plants like any brassicas (cabbage, broccoli, etc) don't ever get mycorrhizae. It matters a lot more with stressed plants as opposed to non-stressed plants. I used it a lot in the commercial greenhouses, but primarily because it prevented pythium rot, as opposed to any benefits growing, as plants receiving constant liquid feeding tend to not have it anyways even if inoculated. Fruit trees, container plants grown outdoors, definitely a benefit. I would also use it or else incorporate some forest soil about once in a new garden plot, but folks do go WAY overboard stating the importance especially with things like say cannabis.

Lars is shit because pigs are fed a shit diet

Get some tallow (rendered beef fat) from a grass fed cow. If you can't find any buy some suet (beef kidney fat) and render it yourself. You will be amazed how different it is for lard. No health issues.

Try a good sized wild sow, rendered some fat from a group that was eating the overrun from a granola factory, was VERY tasty. I agree it depends on the diet, if you got fat from pasture-raised pork it would be fine.

That being said though, I would rather eat lard than hydrogenated oil

tell me about the microbes. why do they wear tiny little masks?

that sounds tasty as fuck

I'm glad he has ass cancer. They just reassessed property taxes in my County…of course they went up

Why the fuck is this bumplocked? Fucking garbage mods

they always go up

Maybe because it's not fucking Holla Forums.

What the fuck do you care? It's not like you are contributing.

Eat a bullet faggot

It is very much Holla Forums, faggot. There have always been prepping/survival/combat/homestead threads and there always will be.

I had a real fucking reply ready.

I'll save it for next time

If you're a mod, rethink what the fuck you're doing next time.

Yea. They were trying to suggest that 1/3 would go down, 1/3 would stay the same, and the last 1/3 would increase…mine went up 200% and I've heard of exactly one person's going down.

property tax is bullshit…I'm already taxed every fucking other way with this place.

Can i do permaculture if i live on tundra?

There's nothing to keep them honest in taxing you though. I found this out as a kid when our trailer cost as much for property taxes as our house. And again when we built a toolshed and the lumberyard tipped them off.

They just do what they want… and what they want is to get more money and to punish the people they don't like.

Even better user. You double property taxes, and keep doubling, until poorfags get driven off.

Then your buddies buy the land cheap and the taxes get cut.

Permaculture is a set of mental design tools, based around working with natural systems. You can use it anywhere.

If some old kike pushed me like that I would fucking deck his ass

what the fuck is wrong with the guy in the vid