Is before watchmen worth reading if I love anything watchmen?

Is before watchmen worth reading if I love anything watchmen?

Other urls found in this thread:

my.mixtape.moe/mbeked.pdf
my.mixtape.moe/zxpbpj.pdf
my.mixtape.moe/qvgkcr.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

depends, do you take alan moore' word as gospel truth. if you do then no.

Not really, I just like the universe and the characters

I don't know I have't read it but I've heard negative things about it from other Watchmen fans.

That's a trick question, right?

It's awful. The only good ones were the ones written and drawn by Darwyn Cooke

Ah, Darwyn Cooke. Is there anything he can't do wrong?

it's an excellent series. most the stories are rather insightful and expand on details that were only hinted at in watchmen. they are really like prequels in that they give you a unique look into what lead up to watchmen. i love alan moore, but he can go fuck himself. if he's not going to write them, don't shit on others just because they beat you to the punch and put out some really good stories. you had your chance to expand the universe and invent the canon for BW, missed out, now others have stepped in and done a fantastic job.

Fuck no.

Honestly some of the worst shit I've ever read.

It's Time to SHIT

Didio pls

I only read the Ozymandias one. It was basically just his background, as narrated by him in the original, but with closer attention paid to individual steps in his journey, with some new parts added (which were welcome on the whole, although there's also some brief involvement with a female love interest that felt a little bit forced).

I also came from the angle of 'loving anything Watchmen', and I'd say that it was worth the read, if not the money. If you don't expect it to be (anywhere near) as good as Watchmen itself, it will at least engage your interest and curiosity.

I'll probably take a look at the others at some point, but I'll be looking for some pirate copies.

This thread reminds me, though, that there's a Watchmen tabletop RPG thing out there somewhere (I don't remember if it's a standalone, or just a supplement for an existing system). As a fa/tg/uy, I'm surprised that it had slipped my memory. I'm going to go track that down, too.

No.

On their own, they are really just average comics. Considering Watchmen, they are pretty bad, they don't follow the artistic or narrative techniques of the original and in the end it really just feels like a waste of time and money, or just time if you just pirated it.

Nothing against Darwyn Cooke, but all those who think he is better than Gibbons need to get their eyes checked.

Nobody here said he was better than Gibbons

This is the best example of Before Watchmen. It's clear The Comedian was supposed to be in black-face. He's supposed to be at the Watts Riots. The dialogue is written as if he's in black-face. The panel layout is designed to highlight that he's in fucking black-face.

Then Warner/DC saw that, said "We can't have a character in black-face", and had the colorist change it. That's Before Watchmen. A corporate product designed to milk the popularity of Watchmen so they can sell graphic novels, action figures, limited edition shot glasses, etc.

You know they aren't original characters or anything, right?

no, watchmen is a shitty meme-comic, and anything it spawned is even worse.

No matter how shit your opinion is, you have to at least acknowledge Fearful Symmetry. That issue was amazing.

No. Because it's not Watchmen.

Nobody here, but I've seen that repeated many times and it really pisses me off.

Nice numbers btw.

Dubs wasted in a meme opinion.
Besides the comic that really spawned the grim and realistic fantasy was DKR. The brits who went to America just applied their own style to American comics.

Drop the capeshit and read 2000ad please.

Before he was staunchly against it, but I guess chemo is expensive when you're a comic artist.

All of those who worked in BW had to do it because they are DC employees. Even if they are freelance, they need to pay the bills in one way or another.

The thing that pisses me off is that Jim Lee defended DC's right to create BW even when he had created Image.

One of the cucks from the big two said something like "hey, we don't get our rights, but at least we get to draw Spiderman!". That was beyond pathetic.

It was a wedding he was paying for. Maybe he wanted to get married cause he had cancer, but the Watchmen money paid for his wedding, not his chemo

It's Frank Miller who did work for DC in exchange for chemo money

behold

genius at work

After reading a few pages of the Rorshach one back when it came out, my observation was that it wasn't even that bad. Just completely irrelevant. Watchmen is written in such a way that there isn't much more to say about any of it's characters. We already know their backstories. There are no significant holes to fill.

No, not even if you hate Watchmen for whatever reason. They add nothing of worth to the original story, which didn't even leave much to expand on. They're just the result of a transparent attempt by DC to cash in on one of their best sellers. Opinions on Alan Moore don't even figure into it.

Personally, I can't fault the average company man for thinking that. Not everybody in the industry is in a position to get worked up about rights and royalties.

I just presumed that getting caught was part of his plan.

Then again, hoping that Dan and Rorschach will decide to go snooping around in his office, guess his password, then follow him to Antarctica instead of anything else at all is awfully presumptive.

I don't, what do you mean?
I thought they were created for Watchmen

I think he's refering to the Charlton Comics characters they were based on.

Oh, then yeah I knew about that

Not really.

Read the Watchmen sourcebook for the DC Heroes RPG if you actually want more Watchmen. It's a much broader look at Watchmen as a setting (as well as the characters in it, and everything else you'd expect from an RPG adaptation), with the important added distinction that it was produced with Alan Moore's approval, and he closely guided the writing of it (it actually came out before the last issue of Watchmen).

For that reason, it's the closest thing to a true expansion of Watchmen that has ever been made (or ever will be made, since Moore's falling-out with DC). Although the lead writer himself says that he doesn't consider it to be 'canon' to Watchmen- more of a detailed adaptation to the tabletop RPG format- since in his opinion, Watchmen is (and should be considered to be) completely self-contained.

I have no idea where you'd find a pdf though, I'm afraid. I stupidly lost mine a few years ago when I had to replace my computer, and haven't bothered to find another copy.

Where would I find this?
Google doesn't seem to have much info

I found a torrent that includes it. I'll upload it when it's done downloading but that'll take a while.

This is the magnet link:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:82c6f4b9499ddcb169f815b87a200330fa4bfbbf&dn=Watchmen%20-%20DC%20Heroes%20RPG%20Pack&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fexodus.desync.com%3a6969%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.ex.ua%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fipv4.tracker.harry.lu%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f11.rarbg.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2f9.rarbg.me%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.internetwarriors.net%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fpow7.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2fopen.demonii.com%3a1337%2fannounce

>I have no idea where you'd find a pdf though, I'm afraid.

/tg/ might be your best bet. I don't visit the pdf share threads, though it's possible they take requests.

Well, there we go then. Thanks, user.

Here we go.

Sourcebook: my.mixtape.moe/mbeked.pdf

Adventure Module 1: my.mixtape.moe/zxpbpj.pdf

Adventure Module 2: my.mixtape.moe/qvgkcr.pdf

What the fuck.

Yeah how about I say "Plebbenborsht" (whatever that is) and it suddenly becomes a meme - OH SHIT I'm a meme-person. Despite I never saw any meme of Watchmen.
AND ITS A COMIC FROM THE FUCKING 80s!

Shit I wanna punch the retarded out of your autist face.

my main problem with Watchmen.
they just sort of stumble upon his plan.

incorrect. From Hell is the literal meme (magic) comic. Especially the masonic tour around London

Moore himself said he thought the tinfoil hat theory about the Ripper murders being related to the monarchy was shit, but it offered a nice background to build a story.

If you read his works properly, you'll find that he often creates characters he wouldn't agree with in real life. Almost like a real writer should.

Also I think Ozzie wanted them to find it. It's like a domino effect.

Yeah, if they didn't find it, they'd be dead, and he wouldn't have had anyone to tell his plan to (because he killed everyone else). A part of him really did want validation, someone to assure him that killing all those people was the right call.

holy shit you need to get laid you supervirgin loser

Now explain the bullet catch

What's to explain? Nigga can catch a bullet. It's a cool party trick he wanted to show off.

Prometha is also basically about meme magic. It's not very good, however.