Black Panther 2016 Storytime #1-5

Not Civ War 2 related but, I wanted Holla Forums's opinion on the quality of the story this one has so far.

For those not in the know T'challa was exiled for a while until the last invasion on Wakanda happened.

I probably could have picked a better time to post but, whatever.

As you can see the main plot so far deals with revolution.

Stealing your king's shit? That's called treason. Also lesbians, this is what that new book is going to be about isn't it?

Stuff no one gives a shit about.

Then there's these guys.

Not completely sure about what she can do.

Remember ladies if you're about to be raped by bandits, they won't just rape you they'll rape your grandma too.

Also "No One Man" I'm being reminded of a rap song.

Is it me or has BP been powered down a bit?

I don't remember much of what went down but, weren't you the one who leveled Atlantis even though T'challa said it was a bad idea? Wasn't the shit that followed your fault.

Again I forget what he did that warranted getting shit on by sister, father, and great grand pappies.

Am I the only one getting a gay Atlantian vibe from that last one.

How many times has Wakanda been invaded?

Nice job, leave the place unprotected.

Spirit world stuff.

Were did the explosion come from?

I'm reading. Interesting so far, but I'll just be slow to get through it and have any real opinion.

Serious question, does anyone legitimately give a shit about Black Panther?

More rebellion stuff.

Rain.

ACTION REBEL LESBIAN WARRIORS! She has some good airbending tattoos. It would be pretty neat if they did a whole issue where everyone was drawn PURE BLACK with just their tattoos and such to distinguish them. But it's still a nice effect for two pages.

So I guess the whole book is about the people losing trust in T'Challa, and just how fucked a king is without the trust of his people.

The word revolution means it ends were it started.

Those are some long dreads.

Those tech beads are actually pretty neat. Incorporates the advanced tech into their old tribal stuff, and the ability to sign text people is cool. I wonder how much crazy tech has been made up to explain all the shit Wakanda could do (along with how it all relies on their central vibranium battery).

Remember, If you can't think of a good way to break up characters just write them in a way they would never act. It's not like fans will notice.

I don't know he did kinda do all that but, that's not giving everything to his country?

Inspiring your people? We can't have that.

Map of Wakanda.

Okay then.

Kamakazi stark reactors?

How to stop rebellions 101.

To be fair she does rock a pretty sweet mohawk.

NTR truly is one of the biggest evils in the world.

End.

I haven't read this but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the Christopher Priest run was better than this. Also how does this compare to the Reginald Hudlin run?

Christopher Priest was a fucking god run. That shit got me from the first issue and I will post that at a later date since this one didn't really catch much discussion. Hudlin had nice concepts but, fell a bit flat in some places.

their mocking us' co

when will white take what is theirs

It's not horrible, but it has a lot of factors weighing it down. Having to reconcile all the bullshit Wakanda went through in 'three previous crossover events is just one of them.

I've heard nothing but bad things about Hudlin.

was it because of Hudlin it turned out Black Panther had the cure for cancer but didn't give it to the world because the other nations are greedy and could make it themselves? Also because of this is he responsible for the death of the original Captain Marvel.

My bad, I was thinking of someone else. Also wasn't the break up with Storm handled like shit though? Like fanfic tier shit?

Overall, this doesn't gel with me. As an invested comic reader, but not a fanatic, I don't know much about the Black Panther beyond crossover work and his and Wakanda's general backstory. In summary: Wakandans won the lottery as a culture, and have hoarded that bounty because of a superiority complex (not that I blame them). With that in mind, the explanation in the first issue (Wakandan tech can't be exported because it wouldn't function) seems like a copout to soften the perception of Wakandans.

I feel the biggest issue is the message: reconnecting with your roots. Excuse me? The Wakandan's still wear traditional clothing, the whole point is that they hit technological peak while running around in loincloths & patterned robes, so they never transitioned out of their roots. Their technology is in the form of BEADS. This theme would be conveyed so much better if the people dressed in strongly western fashion, used phones or tablets, and somebody mocked Tetu for wearing his shamanic getup. The feel created is that Wakandans are suddenly out of touch with the past merely because it serves dramatic needs. There's a lack of showing, and a bunch of telling (or worse, assuming the conclusion outright).

Two nitpicks: 1) "Necropolis?" That's Greek, and these people are nationalistic, isolationist, and located in sub-Saharan Africa. Why would they adopt any aspect of Greek culture, especially in regards to an ancient and sacred monument? 2) Midnight "Angels?" The only African concept of angels come from Islamic influenced religion, something Wakandans wouldn't have interacted with. Don't give me African rooted writing with one hand, but then mix in western stuff because you got lazy.

Oh, cool, a landmate…

ALL THE TIMES

People want dat Vibranium.

I don't know if it's just the art but, some of these faces…

These girls are really pushing this No One Man hashtag.

I see… what he should have done is hug every single Wakandan.

gay