OC Thread

Ok Anons, come and shill your ideas in Chanland and have random, faceless fags make judgement calls about your life choices.

I'll start things off here. My OC was inspired by the wonderful anti-police propaganda that is THE (bowel) MOVEMENT, as well as my idea for a team of super powered police.

Name: Carter Christopoulous

City of Operations: San Camilo (Placeholder)

History: Born in San Camilo to two Grecian immigrants, he grew up idolizing the police force and vowed to join their ranks. He later developed his power just as city officials were implementing project "Hercules", a project to hire super-humans as police to deal with the recent rise in super-human criminals. However, Carter's naiveté was soon shattered by corruption, distrust of the police and the very real threat of death. However, he has not given up on his ideals that he came into the station with. he currently works as a detective who investigates homicide cases.

Personality: Despite his cynicism, He is still a rather friendly gent. He is not above making the odd joke or snarky comment and he will always take the time to teach newbies the ropes. However, he will not hesitate to tell them the dangers of the occupation that they chose so that they don't get too idealistic. He is also rather distrustful of the top brass and many politicians who participate in corruption among the ranks and will snub them any chance he gets. However, he also hates blatantly unlawful behavior and will not hesitate to call a perp out on their crimes.

To Carter, "Protect and Serve" is his life motto, something he lives by and will die by. His only goal in his job is to uphold this ideal to the best of his ability and to teach and remind his fellow officers of said motto.

Carter is a chain smoker and usually goes through about 15 packs a week.

Carter is very methodical. He will not leave a crime scene until he is sure he has all the evidence he can get. When handing this off to other police or the boys in CSI, he makes it a policy to keep and eye on it, so that no one screws up his findings.

While he dislikes the breaking of the law, he will sometimes be lenient if he believes the perp was acting out of desperation. He will still prosecute them, but he will also vouch for a more lenient sentence if they truly regret their actions.

The one thing he hates above all else is a dirty cop and will not hesitate to do everything in his power to get them off the force.

Carter is Agnostic.

Power: Time stopping. At the age of 18, Carter developed this power and was scouted for project "Hercules". To be more detailed, his ability is derived from telekinetic powers. He can stop time at will. However, the longer he does this, the more strain it puts on his mind and he can't stop it for more than 1 minute. When time starts again, he has to wait double the time he stopped until he can use the ability again (for example, if he "stops" time for 20 seconds, he must wait 40 seconds in real time to use it again). He also states that as he gets older, he can't stop time for as long as he used to when he was younger. Also, Strong blows to the head prevent him from using his ability.

Abilities: Outside of his powers, Carter is also uses Boxing, Wrestling, Escrima and Muay Thai to subdue. He also wields his gun with deadly accuracy. He is surprisingly strong, agile and durable for his age and his smoking habit, something that baffles many people he meets. Carter also knows San Camilo like the back of hand.

I'm not sure which one of the pictures I like more and would appreciate your critiques anons.

Be very careful with us of this in a story, user. Those powers are often the ones that causes the most plotholes for people to point out.

I think I like the sharper features of the first drawing, but maybe the hair style of the second.

So, if you're thinking of a story with him, will it just be focused on him or a team of supercops? It's a bit cliche, but you could always have a younger supercop assigned to him, and he has to teach them the ropes (and through that, inform the reader about the world).

And of course you have to worry about how to threaten him properly. Obviously he can handle most hostage situations by just getting in close, stopping time, and disarming the perps. It's an absurdly powerful ability. Do the abilities of supercops become public knowledge? Would criminals potentially act irrationally due to fearing these known abilities? Or would it be a secret? If a secret, what would cop watcher types do to expose and document the powers of cops?

He's an interesting start though, and I have also been thinking of making a powered cop character or two with all this police hate going on lately.

I understand your apprehension to time stopping abilities and I'm thinking about giving him a set amount of time he can "Stop." I want hime to have a strong ability, but not to be invincible.

as for your questions I was thinking about Carter being the main character, but also focusing on the entire station, especially newbie characters.

as for threats, there are characters who can probably put him into bad situations. some perps may be able to sense him before he can strike and warn their comrades. others may abilities that trap him or put him in a bad situation before he can stop time, such as a teleporting enemy that attacks from behind and stikes his head or a terraformer trapping him in a room of earth. He may be able to stop time, but his strength is only human. Meanwhile, it is common knowledge that there are super powered cops and some of their powers are know to the public so that the politicians don't get heat for hiding secrets. However, they are and the cops with the most powerful or unique abilites are required to keep them secret. a great story arc would be if a hacker discovered the secret cops, revealed their powers to the world and the after math of such an act.

I gotta say, I do like your art style. If it were up to me, I like the strong jawline and heftier beard from the first image, but combine that with the hairstyle from the second.

Also, I applaud you for making a story that shows police officers in a positive light. Not only have cops been getting too much flak lately, but it seems there's a running gag that all police officers are just useless or totally incompetent if they aren't already portrayed as mega assholes.

Hope you continue working on this project, user.

Shoulda named the thread "Character Design Thread" instead, but whatever, it's already set in motion. Really digging your idea so far, and I think the second pic fits your description of him pretty well. Keep up the good work

Now, as for me, I've just made this character up pretty recently. No name yet, but she's supposed to be a magic-using forest guardian in a fantasy setting. Her design is looking a little too Chun Li and human-like for my tastes however, so I'd appreciate if any anons could add in some input, bls?

Differently colored skin and pointed ears could always give her a less you appearance without changing her too much over all. If that's not enough you might add a tail or reduce the number of toes and/or fingers.

the lich. guy got killed and wakes up in the future, wants to right the wrongs in his life and all that biz

also, a couple of other designs, im guessing this is actually a character design thread

Will do, thanks for the support user.

Add small horns could get they effect you want.

Throw a "May the force be with you" while you're at it.

Distinctive character designs, tho.

I dig this style man. The simple, yet complicated design is jivin well. All I gotta say is work some more on his background and you got a well thought out character.

Holy Mackerel these are good!

, I love your deceptively simple character design, no unnecessary ornamentation, just what is necessary to give the character some…well character. Not to mention you have a lovely grasp on anatomy, I'd love to see this character in some more poses!

your art style, while not quite as simplistic, is still fantastic. The way you draw musculature is fascinating in its grotesqueness
and your characters all have a wonderfully creepy aesthetic to them.

you got some pretty intresting ideas there mate, just keep working on the technical aspects. Also if may be a good idea for you to post you stuff on solid white paper, as opposed to line paper.

I love how whimsical all of these are. Could perhaps stand a little less detail so as not to overwhelm the viewer and make it a little more streamline, but all in all, I can see you've made great progress.

"your art style, while not quite as simplistic, is still fantastic" all of em are still mine, same guy.

i haven't drawn anything in at least two years, and i don't have my tablet with me right now
nevertheless, i tried
i'd appreciate it if anyone wants to improve it

Really? Well then its fantastic that you're able to draw in different styles.

mind you, i used to be a lot better on pen/canvas

great, but it doesnt matter. from what i know this is a character design thread, if you dont have any designs, go find an actual art thread.

oh, im sorry for thinking the OP isnt retarded. gave him the benefit of a doubt, shouldnt have.

also, OC means "original character". i think its pretty safe to assume that you have to design that character first. you know. kinda like character design.

it's been original content for as long as i've known it, sue me for not knowing all the possible lingo in existance

dunno, maybe the original post wasnt obvious enaugh. who wouldve known that a thread starting with an original character and his bio is an original character thread.

that still doesn't change
i see "OC thread", i understand original content
for all i know his bio also counts as original content

Nice stuff, looks good.

That does still constitute as Original Content, especially since there's lore and shit in said bio

If more people are drawing on the board, I barely care how, why or where they do it.

I really love the look of this guy.

Nice to see enough art by people on Holla Forums that it takes me a while to look at it all.

Pretty much right on here.

Back with some uniform Ideas for Carter. My idea for the setting is a southern or west coast city with a neo-noir/superhero vibe to it. It is set in the year 2016 on an alternate earth. With the emergence of Supers in the late 70s and early 80s, normal people had to develop technology at a far faster rate in order to keep up with the very real threat of Rogue Supers ranging from street thief to super villian out for world domination.

I want to go for a futuristic look, but not one that is to far from reality, but that could be feasible in the next couple or decades or so.

I really like the 2nd and 3rd ones personally, but I feel that the 2nd may be too futuristic and the 3rd a little too plain. as for the 1st, I feel that the over coat may be a little much and would probably be against regulation.

sorry 3rd and 1st pics around when I talk about them.

switch 3rd and 1st, DAMN IT OP GET YOUR HEAD IN THE GAME.

Personally I really like how plain the 1st pic is.

Have you read any Top 10? Pretty good superhero cop force (though I think in that everyone has powers).

Top 10?

I was thinking about it and I think I may nerf Carter's power so that he can only "stop time for 15 seconds at most and the cool down time is 1 minute between uses.

An Alan Moore book from a decade or so ago.

hmmmmmm, I'll look into it. is it fair in it's portral of cops?

portrayal, damn it.

The cops are the main characters, so it's like a super powered cop show. So if they could fly in Law and Order or whatever kids watch these days.

alright I'll give it a look see.

"if one thing looks vaguely similar to another its automatically a plagiarism"

More like "All white dudes look the same to me."

lol op's retardation knows no bounds

Waste of perfectly good dubs on this gibbering assclown, what shame.

what dubs

As if "Frank Castle" is a superiorly distinguishable face.

So whatever happen to the user and his alien unicorn idea?

which user?

I'm stil here, same poster as

I sort of paused on the space-alien-fugitive-actually-disguised-as-a-unicorn concept because I was struggling with making more characters and designing them. I'm rather weak when it comes to the sci-fi genre, so I just jumped to making a fantasy setting which is why I even stopped working on my other idea with Kira and Deimos, if any of you anons even remember that from the original thread

any advice on how to create a proper sc-fi setting without it seeming uncreative or lazy would be appreciated

OH YEAH I remember you.

Well before the last thread died I was going to advise you to keep the alien fugitive as an actual unicorn looking creature and not any of that shape shifting business. It would give the character a greater incentive to play his part like a unicorn. For other characters, imagine each alien race as a motif based around known earth based mythological creatures.

Like…

And the list goes on, eventually have some of these characters join the main cast and expand the little girl's so called collection of "mythical creatures". Maybe some of them could be bounty hunters/ warriors that are defeated by the unicorn and stay because of shame or honor. Or some could be stranded cops that are running from the US government. While we're at it, why can't there be more than one space police force? They could be rivals trying to out-do (Or cheat) the other. With more than one so called "law enforcement organization in the galaxy" that would give more of a solid reason for bounty hunters/ warriors and defeated space cops to stay hidden on earth.

Im the guy making a comic series known as Tom n Artie and thats what I made for Tom's backstory. He comes from a cutesy magic gumdrop-esque dimension where everything is corrupt to shit despite how innocent it looks. Unicorns always getting into war over trivial shit with other races that live there. Tom is meant to be a vet of these wars having fought Teddy bears, gummy beings and other creatures over crap like ownership of a chocolate milk late. He's been in so many that seeing pink, candy or rainbows trigger PTSD flashbacks.

I appreciate the input, and I do think the shape-shifting idea could've made things over complicated, so I'll try to fix things up now.

As for extra characters being added to the main cast/the overall story, I originally planned for Mr Sprinkles the unicorn to have a two or three man crew but he ended up getting separated from them by accident at some point. The space cops also weren't the only ones after him too, I wanted to have other gangs or criminals try and chase after him while he tries to repair his ship

All sounds pretty nice

You got any designs drawn?

besides Mr. Sprinkles and Chelsea? not really. I had sketches of his crew, one was a buff spider and the other was an android, but I lost those. plus I wasn't happy with how they looked

I'd definitely like to see other characters.

Doubling

Bumping

How do you figure out a good color palette that fits the character? Whenever I try to make one, it always looks sub-par or out of place on the character.

Other characters of that specific universe? or other characters that I've made in general?

I was talking about that specific universe, but other characters would be cool.

Writing a comic and may actually be picked up soon by image so look out for me!

Keep on the look out

Well, I'm currently putting those characters on hold for now, but here's progress on the dryad. I gave her some inhuman traits, like pointed ears and a third eye, but I still think she might be too human, especially since she's supposed to be a nymph. Also having trouble with picking a color scheme. Any new advice you anons can add?

Been practicing my perspective.

all of them look cool and you can use all of them at once. 1. is summer uniform (could use armor vest maybe?), 2. is for winter and 3. Is detective/high rank officers suit

The face is kinda bland, either refine some facial features or improve the nose a bit.

Nice aren't you the toy story guy with the whole toy adventure thing?

Yep. Right now I'm doing some research on old mythology of living puppets or golems for the story. So far I've read some from Japanese lore. Haunted living dolls could help too.

Sweet, are you going to have a Chucky like character?

Most probably.

heh.

Shit thats good

Damn.

project im workin on

Nice trips

you have a most unique art style, I really dig it.

The third one is Jotaro, second one is the way to go.

I'm trying to make different stuff out of some of my sketches, but most of my attempts suffer from a combination of "cannot draw on a tablet for shit" syndrome and "draw it perfect once and then never get it right again" disease. Also my art kinda sucks.

The first one, Big Boy, is a character for some prospective cartoon series called Band Of The Wasteland, about a group of buds trying to make it big in a rock band in the post-apocalypse. They drive around in a Fury Road-fitted tour bus, visit strange locales, try to solve people's problems with the power of music, and ultimately either solve them through more realistic means or just make them worse.
BB's the drummer of the group, and badly zombified. He's possessed a psychopathic streak even before the bomb dropped, of the "squirrel graveyard in the woods" variety, so he adopted to becoming a zombie rather quickly. The id of the team. Gets the groupies because he's the drummer, eats the groupies too.
The current plan is for there to be two other members of the group: a three-armed mutant bassist and de facto leader of the band, keeping everyone together through sheer dumb optimism as well as trying to keep his own psyche from shattering from survivor's guilt and shock, and a female stage effects manager, dealing with lights and pyro and such while also incorporating these skills in wasteland combat. I'm having trouble writing her as a character as well as designing her. The idea of her trying to be a voice of reason is cliche, but could be amusing if the world itself refuses to follow her reasoning as well, but I don't want her to be just "the girl" character, especially in this type of abnormal setting. I just don't know how many variants of humanity I can still throw in. I have a mutant and a zombie already, what else can I include that won't just make this look like It Hurts?
The only thing I've decided on for certain is that she has a strong Christian upbringing, and that I will not be treating her religion like the "Christians are crazy and violent" joke that adult cartoons typically do. Though she will be homophobic and believe the post-apocalypse was caused by sin.

The other drawing is Donovan Hook, and he is a pirate detective. His story begins and ends with that pun.

>>>/loomis/

See, this is what I'm saying.

So I tried doing something cute, I don't think my art's all that nice. I call this tar-like creature "Skeff" for lack of a better name.

What does Skeff do most days?

Nice style man. have you drawn any scenes yet? I'd like to see a full background/action shot in your style. It looks like it would make an entertaining comic book. Somewhere between All-new Ghost Rider and Prophet.

Since skeff is likely made out of a pitch-like material, or simply a shadowy figure, I could think of some things for him. I'd like a few ideas or two.

Absorbing more tar pitch, perhaps? I haven't gone too far with the lore yet, but his side of the world he lives in is rather bland, grey-ish and foggy.

Colour me impressed.

What was that character again? Trying not to jinx it, dubs help me

Some things are best left forgotten

No argument on my end.

Here's mine. It's the same character, and it's supposed to be the ends of a transformation the character goes through. Little Project of mine called Comrade Academy. I have more characters and general ideas from it if you want to know more. They also have school uniforms, so definite loli potential

Definitely gonna need more of this. You should make a story with him

Just work on your faces and keep practicing but overall it isn't as sinful as this

If you want to elaborate some more then go on.

And here's some other qt I haven't came up with a name for yet.