All of my life I have watched the cartoons, movies, games...

All of my life I have watched the cartoons, movies, games, and other media to do with comics but only recently have I actually really gotten into reading comics.

Right now I am reading The Sandman (because I heard it was good, really liking it so far), Wanted (because I liked the movie, and played the game), and I will probably read The Darkness after those two (because I loved the games).

My question is what would you guys recommend after that?

(pic not really related)

Other urls found in this thread:

wikipedia.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just get into capes already.

This user is trolling you. Funny troll though.

You would think people would know better then to ask for recommendations on image boards by now.
It is basically asking to get trolled.

Read The Walking Dead: Compendium One if you're into zombie comics. I've read through up until the third compendium and enjoyed most of it. The general consensus is to stop after the first compendium since the writing becomes predictable, but I'd say continue on if you like the first compendium and go from there.

The show only vaguely covers the comics. The story in the comics gets way more brutal than anything you'll see on the television show.

I'll give you my non-troll-y recommendations.

Transmetropolitan
Preacher
Akira
MW
Watchmen
V For Vendetta
Cerebus The Aardvark
Maus
Bone
All-Star Superman
From Hell
The Incal
A Contract With God
The Airtight Garage
Berserk
Lone Wolf and Cub
Golgo 13

Shit tastes

Thats manga

God this pic is so damn funny.

I'd say Bone and Hellboy.
For Superhero stuff I'd say you should get trade paperbacks if you want to learn more about the classic superheroes. For Marvel I'd recommend the Essential stories. These are essentially all the classic superhero stories put into a trade paper back though I got to warn you its in black and white. They come in different volumes too. A good place to start would be Essential X men vol 1-4, Essential Spiderman and Essential Avengers. Kinda basic but it helps you know the background of the Marvel universe.

For DC I'd recommend some batman stories like Killing Joke, Long Halloween, Knightfall, Batman Year One. Also DC has a lot of really good elseworld stories which are essentially stories of the characters but in a completely different setting that isn't canon. They explore some pretty cool stuff. For these I'd recommend Dark Knight Dynasty, Kingdom Come, The Dark Knight Returns (kinda overrated but still good), Superman Red Son, Batman: Arkham serious house on serious earth, Superman's Metropolis, Joker by Brian Azarrelo and Lex Luthor man of steel by Brian Azarrelo.

user, you're a gutsy man, and a big help.

Just pick up whatever look interesting to you. See if your local library has a "graphic novel" section worth a damn

The Marvel Essentials are pretty hard to find outside of a comic shop though, and even then most of them are out of print. It'd just be a waste of them to track them down, especially for a newcomer.

You might be interested in Lucifer or Constantine.
Both are pretty good, and feature characters that have cameos in The Sandman.

There is also WitchBlade which is related to The Darkness, but I personally was not a fan.

If you're posting on /a/, maybe.

Well, I enjoy the show quite a bit so it makes sense to check out the comic. Especially since the show and comic are similar but different.

That is two suggestions for Bone, but I know nothing about it. What is is about?

Lucifer was a pretty interesting character, so a full comic about him would probably be entertaining.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Bone? It's kind of like if Pogo Possum and Albert Alligator ended up in Lord Of The Rings.

Where else is user gonna ask? Almost anywhere else, he's going to develop shit taste or at least be told to read shit by people with shit taste.

OP, I'm only getting into western comics just now myself, but I did enjoy Darkhorse's run of Conan enough to recommend it over any of the other stuff I've been reading, and the following are also on my list:

It is, but that person's got good taste and recommended stuff that anyone can enjoy.
OP probably doesn't want to read something as long and ongoing as Berserk, but Akira is good.
Lone Wolf and Cub is also good, and maybe some other stuff by the same person, like Samurai Executioner and Path of the Assassin. Same general concepts.
If you decide you like that Edo-period Japan setting, I also recommend the very sexual 'Amorous Women of the Floating World.'

So, if we're doing recommendations… I'm interested in Black Canary, pic related. However, much like my issues with Red Sonja, I'm not interested in how she is now, but rather how she used to be, before capes went to shit. Any runs I should look up?

I'd recommend We3, it tells a great story with a kind of surreal premise but it's so short showing you anything besides pic related might spoil it.
I heard great things about Chew as well I haven't read it though

I got my x men essential vol. 2 when I was a kid and recently picked up another one at a comic shop so that might explain why I have them. Sad to learn most of them are out of print. I was hoping to get more.

I miss this look.

Sorry I meant x men essential vol 4. but yeah good memories from those.

Just don't buy Sandman or this

they are written by SJW's. pirate them

same goes for these

Sandman was written before SJW's were a thing.
Yeah there are things like gay characters and the like, but they are actually reasonably developed characters that can (and usually do) have bad things happen to them.
I think it is a similar case for Walking Dead.
Can't speak for the rest of the comics though.

…
I think I will just google it, but thanks I guess.

Can anybody link me to a list/directory of all the comics and comic-related material (I dunno, to Cometbus-degree) ever published? I want to sift through all the good material ever and then put it behind me,

I've read through Chew. It doesn't quite live up to the hype, but it's decent enough to read by itself.

Unfortunately the pacing gets weird midway through the series and the creators get too over-the-top with food powers, cramming different ones in to the point where they no longer feel unique and the original mystery is blotted out. Last two arcs (literally, the series only has like 4 issues left) especially feel rushed after a ton of filler, it's only now that the creators are trying to wrap up plot threads.

wikipedia.org

Do you mean the adult fantasy mag from the 80s and 90s? That still exist?
I still remember when I was a kid and found my dads copies of it, and then we both agreed that we enjoyed it for the art and not to tell mom about me finding them.