Let's say Oracle were to release an OS, what would you like to see?

Let's say Oracle were to release an OS, what would you like to see?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oracle_Linux

that's rhel...

make multics great again tbh

Yes. It's RHEL released by Oracle.

Doesn't Solaris already exists? It's cheating a bit but it technically is Oracle's operating system, unless you count Oracle Red Hat.

..that would be for their billion-dollar production industry..

I have $50 to my name. Oracle /absolutely/ aren't interested in what I think.

Brilliant thread, OP.

oracle is shit. they ruin everything they touch

I'd like to see their shares lose 90% of their value in the first 24 hours tbh

Not an argument.
If they aren't using 100% freedom-respecting licenses then I am not intested in this potential OS.

what the fuck are you smoking?

I mean, idealistically instead of realistically?

>Focus on their own architecture of CPUs, something expandable enough to encompass both mobile (laptops) and high-performance workstations, with variations in-between

x86 could use some competition in the workstation space, and POWER8 could use some company. Since we're pie-in-the-skying, might as well make some special snowflake laptops to supersede Thinkpads while we're at it.

Jesus, I wish. It would be super-reliable. They have ECC built into the goddamn processors.

I'd like to see them hanging from lamp posts.

What do you mean by this?

ECC L cache? Because pretty much every processor made in the last 10 years has a form of ECC L cache, including modern non-Xeon Intel chips that normally omit the ECC controllers for RAM

they exist

The source code.

They already have one, it's called Solaris.

Eh, for what? The days of cost-no-object exotic workstations were certainly exciting to read about but they weren't really all that great in practice, there's a reason they all pretty much died out in the 2000s when PCs finally gained the ability to do most of the jobs they were previously the only option for.

It already does, it's called the SPARC M7.

While 11.x is closed off again, Illumos is still going... somewhat.

written in java

It failing so catastrophically the entire fucking company goes under.

Should Oracle focus on making Linux able to run windows software natively?

Sounds half nifty in concept, then you remember there's Wine and then you remember we're talking about Oracle.

freech's dick

I hear wine has not so smooth compatibility .

Why would Oracle do it? Nobody using their hardware products gives a fuck about desktop applications.

You heard right. Depends on how the application was developed.

Still, I've gotten games like League and CPU-intensive programs like Ableton to run fine on it.

From what I remember, it's across all the circutry, though I don't know why that makes exited.

What year is that from?

Oracle could make money like Red Hat does with their support service.

Companies wouldn't pay for a OS license like they do for windows.

Except Oracle's "support" would only be salespeople trying to sell additional things to fix the problem.

I used to play EVE online on wine. That was a few years ago though.

That's exactly what they do. OL and Solaris are both free to download from their site...

A modern-day lisp machine, preferably using Racket.

Lisp machines were glacial garbage.

No, the IIi was released in 1997, laptops based on it and derivatives were released much later, around the mid 2000s. The low-end UltraSPARC IIs lasted for fucking ever, much longer than they should have. Actual SPARCbooks of that vintage were usually based on older 32-bit SPARC chips used in the pizzaboxes/lunchboxes.

Hell, it probably doesn't even run a IIi, most SPARC laptops of note based on US II series chips were pretty much just portable Blade 100 series systems which were based on the much later IIe+ (which is often erroneously labeled as a IIi on the internet, maybe because of some kind of fuckup?)