What seems like Your daily Scott Adams thread

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you a discussion of Scott Adam's latest Article because I've actually been a bit impressed by his point. This will be in slide thread format because I find it to be a good format and it's my damn thread.

The FBI, Credibility, and Government

The primary goal of government is its own credibility.

That notion needs some explaining.

Governments do many things, including building roads, providing social services, defending the homeland, and more. But no matter what the government is trying to accomplish, its macro-responsibility is to maintain its own credibility. Governments without credibility devolve into chaos. Credibility has to be job one.

Consider all the different government systems around the world, and all the different laws they created. The Chinese government is different from the United States government, which is different from Jordan’s government, which is different from Great Britain. But each of those governments is credible to its own people, and that’s the key. The specific laws and the specific forms of government don’t matter too much, so long as the public views its own local system as credible.

The notion of credibility is why my political preferences don’t align with either of the candidates for president. I look for credibility in government, not for my personal agreement with a particular policy.

For example, I think laws regarding abortion are most credible when they are agreeable to the majority of women, no matter what the majority of men think. Imagine an abortion-related law that was acceptable to 90% of men but only 10% of women. It wouldn’t be credible. Nor should it be.

I take this same thinking to how a president should fill Supreme Court openings. For maximum credibility, we should have eight justices instead of nine, equally divided by liberal versus conservative credentials. That way nothing gets through the Supreme Court unless one of the liberals or one of the conservatives switches sides. That’s how you get credibility. Compare that to a 5-4 court that always votes conservative or always votes liberal. With a biased court, every decision will lack credibility with half of the citizens. That’s a problem.

This gets me to FBI Director James Comey’s decision to drop the case against Hillary Clinton for her e-mail security lapses. To the great puzzlement of everyone in America, and around the world, Comey announced two things:

1. Hillary Clinton is 100% guilty of crimes of negligence.

2. The FBI recommends dropping the case.

From a legal standpoint, that’s absurd. And that’s how the media seems to be reacting. The folks who support Clinton are sheepishly relieved and keeping their heads down. But the anti-Clinton people think the government is totally broken and the system is rigged. That’s an enormous credibility problem.

But what was the alternative?

The alternative was the head of the FBI deciding for the people of the United States who would be their next president. A criminal indictment against Clinton probably would have cost her the election.

How credible would a future President Trump be if he won the election by the FBI’s actions instead of the vote of the public? That would be the worst case scenario even if you are a Trump supporter. The public would never accept the result as credible.

That was the choice for FBI Director Comey. He could either do his job by the letter of the law – and personally determine who would be the next president – or he could take a bullet in the chest for the good of the American public.

He took the bullet.

Thanks to Comey, the American voting public will get to decide how much they care about Clinton’s e-mail situation. And that means whoever gets elected president will have enough credibility to govern effectively.

Comey might have saved the country. He sacrificed his reputation and his career to keep the nation’s government credible.

It was the right decision.

Comey is a hero.

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.dilbert.com/post/147045002381/the-fbi-credibility-and-government
blog.dilbert.com/post/146268246131/some-thoughts-about-lewandowski-campaign-funding
w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/speeches/2011/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20110922_reichstag-berlin.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

blog.dilbert.com/post/147045002381/the-fbi-credibility-and-government

Article link. Apologies if there's already a bred on this, call me a faggot if there is.

Do you agree with his point, Holla Forums? Did Comey end up saving the nation and giving a potential Trump presidency legitimacy? I'm honestly mixed on it - Scott shined light on something I haven't thought of in regards to this case: By appearing to be illegitimate now, we avoid future illegitimacy.

I honestly doubt Comey intended this at all, considering the sleazy shit has been playing for the Clinton Machine for a very long time now

Great analysis by Scott as usual!

Scott Adams is pretty based, although something he did recently really disappointed me and turned me off his blog — he turned off the comments because of "racists" and "sexists":
blog.dilbert.com/post/146268246131/some-thoughts-about-lewandowski-campaign-funding

You really don't get Scott's brand of sarcasm at all

It could be a happy accident. It could be an outright fix. I don't know how many people in the nation would call Trump essentially running unopposed a selection rather than an election but it's a narrative I could see the left shitting their britches over for the next 8 years if Clinton was jailed. Now Comey's put it up the the people: Do you want to live in a democratic first world nation, or a third world cabal government?

Now keep in mind how terrible this looks for Clinton even should she win the election - People will scream about how SHE shouldn't be president because she's a felon.

Trump winning and then indicting Clinton might legitimately be the only way we get out of this without a civil war or major legitimacy crisis.

Many people on Holla Forums have trouble reading between the lines. They need everything spoonfed to them before the lightbulb goes off over their head.

Many people here seem to have trouble just READING.

Well, I might be mistaken, but the comments have been turned off.

Interesting.

And if she wins?

cuckautist.

where the fuck is my image

How credible will that look?

He's kinda-sorta disqualified her from getting elected without undermine a Trump regime.

I mean, the President is.. untouchable while he is the president.

she*

Tell that to Nixon/Clinton.

I dislike the fact that he's right. It won't stop me complaining, but he's right.
If Hillary were jailed, Trump would win. But many people, especially those who believe the media, he will have won by having his opponent jailed. That's not the way to make a government look legitimate.
This is, really, the best case for us. The issue can still be hung over her head from an incompetence standpoint if not criminal, and it decreases the current regime's perceived legitimacy.

Wouldn't he compete with Bernie?

Not after Berno just commited political suicide by openly endorsing the cunt and betraying his entire voter base

wat

I can see his point but disagree with his analysis that this was the most credible option. What he failed to acknowledge is that Clintons are known for rigging everything in their favor. Even if Comey made the decision according to his assumptions, if Hillary rigs the election and wins, when shes not even eligible to run, does that somehow make the election more credible than forcing the DNC to scramble for a new candidate? The most credible option would be to show that no one is above the law and we do not have a class of royalty that are immune to prosecution. Now what the FBI has demonstrated is that even if there is zero shadow of doubt regarding your guilt, you can get off scott-free if you have the right political connections.

Bernie supporters HATE Hillary. There are a significant number who hate her so much they would rather vote for Trump than her. For him to then endorse her can cause disillusionment.

But did he endorsed her?

He has confirmed that he is planning to endorse her, so basically yes.

For as wise as this point is, we're playing one of the biggest and scariest games of chicken with the Office of the Presidency this republic has ever seen!

That's why the statement from the FBI was so vital, and I really hope the American public is smart enough to see it that way.

What his statement said to me, and apparently Scott Adams agrees, was: "Hillary Clinton is guilty of everything. But the FBI is powerless to stop her. Only the American people can stop her. Vote Trump."

Here's the options:

Hilary is indicted now. Trump wins. Trump regime lacks legitimacy.
Hilary is not indicted. Trump wins. Trump prosecutes Hilary. No legitimacy crisis.
Hilary is not indicted. Hilary wins. Hilary regime lacks legitimacy.

She's not getting off scot free if we pick option 2. She might cause a civil war if option 3 is picked. Leftists might cause a civil war if option one is picked.

In Scott's view, Comey wants option 2. Really fucking bad. Which is why this is happening the way it is. He wouldn't have gone off script and said "Yes, she's guilty. No, I don't recommend charges" otherwise.

We live in times as interesting as the Collapse of the Republic.

Case 1 assumes that the DNC couldn't muster another viable candidate. They could easily put together a Sanders/Warren ticket or something else at the convention. Hillary is not the official candidate yet. Case 2 would be the most ideal but its assuming Trump will win despite Clinton rigging the game. Case 3 could very well happen and guarantees civil war. War on American soil is something I would really not like to see because foreign entities would get involved almost immediately

If Hillary is indicted and it ruins her presidency, in the future they will trump up charges against candidates in order to take them out.

Indicting Hillary before the convention would be tantamount to cancelling the election, because Trump vs Bernie would be a blowout. Not that Hillary will do any better, but it's perception that matters.

If Hillary loses the election, Bernie's people will blame the Democratic party - on the other hand, if Hillary is forced out and replaced with Bernie, Hillary's people will blame Republicans. The best possible result is if so many of Bernie's people defect that the Democratic party has no choice but to bribe the RINOs, neocons, and kleptocrats to return to them. The result would be the progressives losing their stranglehold on this country for the first time since 1901.

Remember, if Trump wins in a landslide, he still wins. If they rig it that hard, they'll totally reveal their hand.

That assumes she'll be dumped by the convention, which won't happen in 3 weeks with Obama above the DoJ. And also assumes that the candidate will be legitimate to the democratic electorate. Also assumes there won't be a shitstorm around all of that of election-wrecking proportions.

Discussion bump.

It certainly has some level of plausibility, though I'm inclined to believe

It doesn't bode well for Hillary either way. The Clinton family's years of manipulation and lies must finally be deteriorating the pillars at the foundation of their cause. This really doesn't surprise me that much though.

Well now they're talking about reopening the case.

okay call me a rerard but i cant tell how this is sarcasm i usually get it when he is sarcastic (his endorsement for shillary) but im not geting that tone from this at all

False alternatives.
It is not the voter to decide if someone is guilty of a crime.

By not doing what his job mandates legally and constitutionally, to uphold the law regardless of the person, he is destroying “credibility”, legitimacy of the state.

w2.vatican.va/content/benedict-xvi/en/speeches/2011/september/documents/hf_ben-xvi_spe_20110922_reichstag-berlin.html

As for the election, somebody else is going to compete with Trump, somebody not criminal.

Noteworthy speech and Adams is as manipulative as ever.

For once I agree with Torposter. Adam's points are made on the foundation of "Democracy where shitskins who don't belong here and women can vote is credible". He even goes full retard with the abortion line. Most women have the minds of children and can't be responsible for themselves, by themselves.

Very much so because he conveniently left out the fact that bernie would replace hillary and the people would still hold a fucking vote.

Except a lot of bernouts wont vote for hillary and half the country already wants trump as president to begin with therefore it is fucking credible.

May this faggot get fucked by a pack of wild niggers, this fucking kike has shown his true face.

SCOTT ADDAMS IS A KNOWN SOCK-PUPPET POSTER

GOOGLE "PLANNED CHAOS SCOTT ADAMS

FUCK OFF SCOTT YOU'RE DOING NOTHING TO HELP

Bullshit, bernie WOULD replace her and trump would win. It is no ones fault but hillarys that she has broken so many god damn laws, the argument that "its totally legitimate to let her off because it would expose massive corruption of the current government" is not an argument at all. The "oh noes a criminal goes to jail for breaking the law the election is rigged for trump now because the demoshits picked a fucking crook for a leader (also disregard bernie taking her place)" is also flawed and watergate is an example of why thats a fucking lie. Politicians are not above the fucking law, to bend the law in this fashion is proof that the legal system and democracy does not fucking work which completely erodes any credibility the government has. Moreso when you remember that approval ratings are at a fucking all time low!

It's been overused as an insult but a lot of people in the chans literally suffer from autism/aspergers making nuanced jokes, very dry humor, and satire just impossible to understand.

Bump for warlock.

Why would the multi-millionaire creator of Dilbert and author of several best seller books bother "sock-puppet" posting on a Cantonese paper doll forum with like 300 unique posters?

And that is a bigger problem than the one Adams claims this statement solves.

Adams is being a bit of an idiot here, since he ignores the vital error Comey made. He says that this maintains the legitimacy of government, but it does not such thing. Because a government is ultimately built on law, and this forms a total breakdown of law.

What Comey has said is basically "Hillary Clinton is guilty, but we are finding her not guilty regardless". When a government can pick and choose who is and is not guilty, that means law is illegitimate to the citizens. Why bother following the law if your guilt is not determined by your lawfulness, but by your standing? They have made guilt arbitrary, and all this does is punish those who had faith in the rule of law.

The government has not maintained legitimacy. It has lost the legitimacy of its law, and the legitimacy of its governance. Democracy has not been maintained, it has been gutted. Adams is just trying to rationalize this as a positive thing because he fears what has actually transpired.

Where did you people come from, and why are you here?

wait

It happens to me a lot here when I'm joking, being sarcastic or facetious. I get enraged replies that are taking what I said seriously. When I post I like my first sentence to be provocative to draw attention to the post.

Like the other day I made a reply in a thread with the first sentence being "niggers are our best friends" then followed up explaining how we could control them and cause them to chimp out. Then I got a bunch of replies from angry posters.

If this is supposed to be sarcasm, I don't see it. I'm going to take this as a serious position. I'll also ignore the remark he made about abortion, which I could argue against, but that's not the real focus here.

Scott's argument seems to be that what matters about governments is credibility to their own people, and that by Comey choosing to indict Clinton according to current US law, thereby jeopardizing her bid for presidency and practically leaving the entire election to Trump by default, he is maintaining the credibility of the US gov't. By doing things this way, the issue of Clinton's guilt can be judged by the American people rather than by court of law.

There are two significant problems I see here.

First, the laws that are in place are the result of Americans electing representatives to write and establish laws by which the government is to act and enforce society. They are the will of the American people who voted in the past. If laws were or were not in place according to how the American people wanted their society to be, they elected new representatives who would push for laws to change to fit the demands of voters. At least, that is how things are supposed to work.

If someone is found to be guilty of crimes according to the law, but for some reason is not pursued and treated as such, then the wishes of prior voters are not being honored. To put this another way, there would be no reason to believe that voting for a politician that would push for certain laws would result in those laws being enforced in the future, which is to say that there is no credibility in the laws which Americans vote for.

Comey declining to recommend criminal indictment despite finding evidence of guilt erodes credibility from established laws put in place by the elected representatives of American people.

Second, the precedent this sets is that as long as you are in a position running for gov't office against one opponent, you have carte blanche to commit crime. If the matter of prosecuting you for crimes ever arises, it cannot be followed through because it would effectively give away the election and deny voters a decision.

This is a horrendous precedent to set and very obviously breaches the idea of equality before the law.

"Hillary Clinton is guilty of everything. But the FBI is powerless to stop her. Only the American people can stop her. Vote Trump."