Is truck driving a worthwhile profession to look into? Are there any reasons why or why not to?

Is truck driving a worthwhile profession to look into? Are there any reasons why or why not to?

are you good at driving? do you enjoy driving?

if the answer to both of those questions is yes, then, sure, look into getting a job you fucking normie

good pay
good benefits
stable living
lots of travel

your job is driving across the country, expect a good portion of your life to be stuck in traffic worrying about whether or not you'll make your deadline.

Unlimited dick to suck in truckstop bathrooms

Long hours away from home

I've heard that it's pretty Nice.

Are all truck driving jobs generally cross-country, or are some more localized?

too late user. 2 million truckers in the US are facing bleak times ahead with the arrival of driverless trucks. the profession has no future in an era of robots. like for airline pilots and train drivers, trucking is better done by a machine than a man.

as a general rule, longer distance=better pay.
they're paying you for a reason. if it wasn't a bitch they'd do it themselves.

Simpsons did it.

CEO and truck driver are two of the most likely professions to be summarily replaced by robots.
CEO costs a lot and computers never make mistakes or guide businesses based on what gans them most fame (that won't increase profits).
Truck drivers must necessarily take specific rest times in every 24 hour cycle, they mut be well trained and pass various background checks - all of which raises costs to employ.

What isn't going to be outsourced to robots these days?

Automated systems design.

Key word here is "dying", not dead

user plz

I'm 22. It'll be dead in my lifetime.

ugh, we're all going to have to become engineers and mechanics so we can repair/manufacture all the robots that are doing the reasonable jobs?

not if you kill yourself right now

wont happen this generation, Dont eat all the sensationalism the media spits out. It will happen but not nearly as fast as the media implies.

not if programmed right, and you can eliminate all possible mistakes by quality testing

not much
the point is that these two jobs are most likely due to the nature of them, they are on opposing sides of type of work but both are relatively low labor supply

Some of us will. There won't be as many new jobs created as there will be old jobs destroyed.

There will be a lot of unemployment, a lot of poverty, and a lot of suffering.

a long time ago when i was a kid and computers were truck sized valve machines in university basements, i was told that the technological revolution was underway and would mean an end to the daily grind of work. humans would soon be served by robots while they occupied themselves with the higher pursuits like art and science. how naƮve of me to listen.

Capitalism is usually pretty alright. "Hire workers to make money" is pretty damn close to "pay people to satisfy people's needs." Companies compete for workers with pay or benefits, and on the market by satisfying consumers.

However, in a world where robots can do most jobs, capitalism quickly diverges from any human interests. There's no need to care what a human thinks about your working conditions when you can replace him for just slightly more than a third world peon's wage. There's no need to satisfy consumers that can't actually purchase your goods.

Without any leverage on the system, Capitalism quickly becomes about obscenely rich robot-owners employing thousands of engineers and lrogrammers at slave wages to satisfy other rich robot owners, while anyone who neither owns or makes robots might as well die in a ditch for all capitalism cares.

yeah man, we need to smash those cotton gins before we all end up permanently jobless!

Funny you bring this up, because this kind of shift has already happened, to horses.

For all of human history up until that point horses were a backbone of society, then once the internal combustion engine got good enough, they became a novelty for the rich.

you saying the same will happen to people?

sauce on game?

Silent Hill: Origins