Gcc

and people think catv is a good source of information
top kek

Other urls found in this thread:

harmful.cat-v.org/software/
harmful.cat-v.org/films/avatar/
harmful.cat-v.org/software/patents/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You have no idea why they consider it harmful, do you?

I like gcc and disagree with cat-v, but gcc is objectively harmful when you use cat-v's definition of harmful.

In cat-vspeak, software is harmful if it's broken or overly complex. They're hardcore Unix philosophy fanatics. GCC is enormous and hard to understand.

Just like my dick.

Can we see?

harmful.cat-v.org/software/

harmful.cat-v.org/films/avatar/

videos on this page require flash.

They don't. Those are just regular Youtube embedds that show up as flash if your browser doesn't support html5 video.

My browser does support html 5...

>harmful.cat-v.org/software/
Why?
Now they talk about software licenses instead of software. You'd think they'd at least bother to explain why these licenses are harmful, but no they just declare it without justification.

gcc is a big mess. I'd rather use Tiny C, or better yet one of the old Amiga or DOS compilers (on their respective platform).

It's because the element is contained using tags and browsers don't always handle those properly. They should use tags or include a html5 GET var in the URL of the requested video.

Try impossible, I'd bet good money that there is not a single person who understands the entirety of GCC. I wish you could compile Linux without it, or even better, that other kernels/OSes had better driver support so I could switch from the mess that is Linux. This situation is Windows all over again and it's terrible.

Compare the complexity of the GPL and the MIT licenses and it's obvious.

Great advice there.

The complexity of licenses is a completely different matter from the complexity of software. The point was that the cat-v people just threw a whole lot of things they don't like into a pot and call it harmful. At no point did they provide a list of pros and cons of the GPL, ASL, MPL vs ISC, MIT, BSD (which one?), CC0, public domain. You can have a complex software under the MIT license, and simple software under the GPL. What they did was comparing apples to oranges and very lazy indeed. Instead of saying why you should avoid the GPL, they tell you it's an "exercise" to find out why.

The whole site reeks of quotations dropping, and half assed arguments. The length of the GPL is a drawback, but this is necessary if you want the advantages of copyleft licenses. They imply without evidence that permissive licenses are better than copyleft licenses, but a good case for permissive licenses, not just shouting "muh harmful", would have benefited the discourse, And why is the Apache Software License on that list? Are they in favour of patent treachery?

Btw, I do agree with them when it comes to bloatware, but arguments against complex software can't just be extended like that into arguments against long software licenses.

My point was that they made a category mistake when they criticize complex software licenses in them same vein as complex programs.

IPFS is slowly making that possible.

But there's a point to be made here: it's only doing so because someone built it instead of sitting around bitching about "harmfuls"

It's a list of harmful things, not of harmful software, and it definitely makes sense to list software licenses under software. It was also a work in progress until Uriel died.

harmful.cat-v.org/software/patents/
You may want to stop assuming that everyone who disagrees about a license does so for heretical reasons. cat-v has hard libertarian leanings.

That said, the complexity argument certainly holds for licenses. I for one don't want to have to consult a team of lawyers to know what exactly my license means in practice. It's the reason I stopped using the GPL, in fact.

Why are we still taking cat-v seriously? It's your average imageboard shitposting that managed to get its own domain and server. They don't take themselves seriously in their website, and they often make it very obvious they are either joking, trolling or fishing for angry reactions (more commonly known as baiting). Fuck, the people who originally posted cat-v in /g/ did it with the intention of trolling, but you retards ate it up.

You genuinely believe in an ironic meme.

They don't take themselves seriously but they do believe the basic ideas they write about.

It really bugs me when libretards take that John Carmack post out of context.

How could you take this out of context? It's very clearly about software patents, not GPL shit.

dick or gtfo

cat-v general ideas are basically correct. But in practice you'll have to use "nasty" software because the world at large requires you to use their nasty interfaces & protocols. So you bust out a Perl script that uses DBI and XML modules and a few others, and you go home on time that day. And then at home you can write your awk scripts or some text game in C on your old SunOS 4 computer or whatever you're into.

C is pretty much the most harmful language ever invented.

You can write Java enterprise text games in your spare time then.

Java is only marginally less harmful than C.

You must enjoy masochism.

femanon detected

at least in death he made the world less harmful.

Fuck off, spook!

Fuck off, Holla Forums

check dem double dubs mane!