Never actually write static HTML

Is this what real Web devs do?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.getpelican.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the fuck's wrong with you

real web devs copy wordpress themes, unless they pay for a company to do a 5mb js script on each page

in fact, real web devs just pay others to do the work for them

Real web devs pay some guy from India to copy and paste stuff from yahoo answers into dreamweaver.

Are you a developer emitting PHP code in a HTML document or are you a developer emitting HTML from a PHP program? If I was programming with PHP, I'd prefer to be emitting HTML from a PHP program.

Real web devs are too far up the food chain to have any relevance to 8/tech/.

It's been a really long time (over 10 years) since I've done web dev, and now I just don't care about that stuff. But back then, I made a distinction between static pages (plain HTML) and dynamic ones that got generated from a template and Perl CGI because they needed to be. It was a simple MVC setup, with a few modules like DBI and Template Toolkit doing the heavy lifting (not a full-blown and bloated "framework" like those that are popular today).
But static pages (which was most of them) were just plain HTML.

No; only in the loosest sense. Just trying to hammer out some home surveillance stuff quickly for someone.

HTML is, for the most part, hard coded into my PHP as strings and then echoed out like this:

In development: Absolutely
In production: No

Is it a security issue, performance or something else?

Performance mainly. Don't bother FPM unnecessarily, especially if RAM constrained.

It's sloppy as hell, but sure I do it in development. It's so easy to change HTTP headers for example.

Actually I've not used PHP (except the aforementioned development build scripts) for years.
That single page tear-down paradigm is something I'm glad to have left behind.

blam

homepage Homepage Local Home Page custom page for personal use Weather ten day Weather hourly shows to get Cherry 2000 (Movie) Robot and Frank (Movie) Spicy City (Cartoon) Starhunter (Show) list list list Currently Airing Shows Mob Psycho 100 Episode 12 Final (09/27/16) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable Episode 26 (9/24/16) list list list

Sure, if the current year is 2005.

Depends on your definition of real, but yeah, there are plenty who work like that.

I have noticed no one actually writes HTML anymore. Most people I knew when I was learning webshite just used WYSIWIG programs instead of typing.

The resulting code was terrifying.

You sould use . Fuck everything else faggots.

Isn't the whole point of PHP that you can do this?
You are logged in as ! Fuck you for being that person!

real web devs use real frameworks like django and rails

I still write HTML. When I originally wanted to write my website I was using a WYSIWYG program, it was pretty nice to be able to get results really quickly on the screen, but the more I was trying to do my own things instead of sticking to the defaults, the more I found myself fighting the software.

Now I use statically generated web pages: I write my HTML templates with Jinja placeholders and then use Pelican to generate the finished content. I get the performance and robustness of static web pages with the flexibility of dynamically generated ones.
blog.getpelican.com/

GUIs and WYSIWYG are nice when you want a program that runs mostly on autopilot, but if you want actual control you have to get your hands dirty with HTML.

It's possible to do it that way. I don't like to do it that way because it's normal for me to do a bit of processing before emitting the variable state in the HTML portion.

No, real web devs do that with javascript instead of php.