If you could travel back in time to stop any cartoon from existing, what would it be

If you could travel back in time to stop any cartoon from existing, what would it be

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1QXDEoVlkAE
youtube.com/watch?v=vOGhAV-84iI
youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4
youtube.com/watch?v=pAcXt-NOb1U
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/24121/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Stevens Universe

That show has resulted in more cancer than any other in last 20 years.

Why not

this piece of shit

What's it like being 15?

If I could go back in time, I would prevent you from ever being born.

oh come on the show was pretty good.

Family Guy

Aqua Teen Hunger Force

But Adult Swim wouldn't have a defining show

Adventure Time. Adventure Time was the show that started the whole idea of in-show relationships that weren't played for laughs or avoided (i.e. Chowder). If it wasn't for that show getting popular, I have no doubt that shows with similar artstyles such as Steven Universe or We Bare Bears would come to exist. It's a chain reaction that saves us from garbage. I'm pretty sure Gumball would still exist due to it being more unique than the quirky noodle-armed fucks that are all the rage on CN

speaking of noodly arm cartoons can we trace to where they originated from? I thinkit may have been camp lazlo or flapjack since they have the noodly arms despite their humor being completely different from steven universe and adventure time.

Fuck that show.

I'd say probably Flapjack. While being a bit more crude and unsettling than Adventure Time or SU is, Flapjack had a lot of surrealist humor, strange closeups, weird things that go unexplained, and an annoying protagonist that is really emotional. I hate to admit it, because I actually kind of like Flapjack, but it probably was the predecessor to shows like Adventure Time.

This might be a good selection, if only to stop all the pathetic memes and autism this show promotes in adults who should know better…

The only smart selection here.

It kind of makes sense now. I too liked Flapjack even though the protagonist can be a bit annoying. Personally I loved Knuckles, he was pretty damn funny. Then again he was voiced by Brian Doyle Murray who I enjoy.

Nah. Regular Show did this worse. Aim your hate at that.

The Simpsons

Basically SpongeBob

Internet culture

How did the internet spawn noodly arms. LOLSORANDUMB humor I can get but how did it create noodly arms.

Surely cutesy quirky doodle art

that's easy
your favorite cartoon

Film or show? Anything to stop furries from existing.

Oh please. You can't kill one show or movie and kill off furries. You kill Robin Hood, and The Great Mouse Detective and those mouse strippers take their place. Kill the Great Mouse Detective and Chip and Dale: Rescue Rangers falls in.

The only way to kill off the furries like that would be to go back to ancient Greece and destroy all those stories where Zeus turns into an animal to rape a woman, and even THAT probably won't be long ago enough.

You'd most likely have to go back to the first humans and convince them that animals have absolutely no worthwhile traits that they'd like to see in people, and even then they'd probably just stone you to death and eat you.

Robot Chicken

I know it came after ATHF but I came after yer mum did so who cares

Gumball would be gone as well, ya little fantard. FACT.

No

Mate, one of the earliest things man made was a carving of a lion man. Furries were always gonna happen. Deal with it.

user, I…

Nothing. There's no cartoon that makes me that butthurt.

Nah, they would've just kept the PennyxGumball crap where it originally was, Gumball being too scared to tell Penny about his feelings, ya little retard. FACT.

Care to explain why you'd stop a good show from existing?

I would stop cartoons from ever existing in the first place. Fuck this garbage

Okay, I'll play your game.
Do you mean cartoons as "entertainment for children" or any form of animated media?

Whatever.

OW, THE EDGE

Considering that at this point the show's good seasons are far outnumbered by the shit seasons, this could be a pretty good decision.

This thread, honestly. It's beyond shit.

Scooby Doo, and therefore abort all sequel shows.

2007 really did ruin fucking everything.

What trickery is this?

earlier seasons were all right but it does need to die along with the simpsons.

jojo

jojo is an anime, not a cartoon.

Same thing

Japanese cartoons are still cartoons.

You just think they were. Try re-watching them now. They're not that good.

No one cared about the show before it was canceled if I remember correctly

>>>/out/

#1 Priority: Simpsons or Family Guy (yes I'm even willing to erase old Simpsons from existing, at least then one won't have to live through the pain of seeing them go to shit)

Aside from those two, maybe Adventure Time, My Little Pony or Steven Universe.

I'm also partial to erasing Transformers, mostly just to get rid of Bayformers and the Aligned Continuity crap.

Pretty good choice. But it's fun to see it be universally hated so no loss there.

What did KND ever do to you? Sure some episodes were pretty bad and Numbuh 2's brother was a pain, but it doesn't deserve erasure.

Regular Show only did it because they saw how many "people" Adventure Time attracted by doing that shit.

Brave.

I got a gut instinct I cant explain being high atm that Brave (at least) was more destructive than Adventure Time, StevenUniverse, or even Johnny Test. I am open to earlier suggestions if anyone gets where im coming from

>>>/out/

I dig Gumball, but I don't see how you can say that it didn't take advantage of Adventure Time being such a hit.

Brave sucks and so do you.

Either this or Adventure time, anything that Jumpstarted this cartoon craze… I am tired of seeing stupid ugly-ass cartoons everwhere nowadays, I wanna go back to mid 2000's Anime supremacy.

The mediocre Pixar movie?

Cartoons as in cartoons.

Shoot Walt Disney before he gets out of his father's shit farm, then work my way backwards until I find the first guy who drew a cartoon character and smash his fucking hands.

Fuck cartoons.

Faggot, I like the characters.

Exactly.

Funny, I want to fuck most of them.

Why are you here?

Maybe Ultimate Spider-Man but I'd probably have to agree with

is this bait?

wasn't that just a movie and not a cartoon, or is there something i missing here?

Anime and cartoons have virtually nothing in common, and anime and American animation at large also have very little in common. Where are people getting this idea that they're the same thing? You may as well say your refridgerator and washing machine are the same thing.

Cartoons are cartoons dumbuses

And anime is anime. What's your point?

It's not called Comics & Western TV Cartoons

What about it?

I don't know what "regional wars" you're talking about, but they just self-evidently are not the same thing.

The fact that they are drawn IS something in common, but I see your point, wgile western animation can or cannot be a cartoon, no anime can be a cartoon (in b4 P&S referencial humour)

Anime is its very own kind of Animation.

Cartoon is not a catch-all therm for Animation, Anime is a type of Animation, Cartoons are also a type of Animation, but Anime is not a type of cartoon.

Did you just make up those rules now?

He didn't, since what he said was perfectly accurate.

Too bad there isn't an image of both eye-rolling and face-palming

Can't you just live with "cartoon" being a commonly accepted term for animation in general? For fuck's sake, that's what "anime" means in Japan.

It isn't a commonly accepted term for animation in general.

Anime is short for animation and is generally used in Japan to mean any animation (or at least has been). It has no relation to the word cartoon.

In Japan, Anime simply is a term that refers to all forms animation. In the West, it refers to all animation coming from Japan. Cartoons are hand-drawn images - either still or animated - that use nonrealistic/caricature stylings. It's definition does not entail a hemisphere of origin, nor is there anything else exclusionary between the two definition.

So it stands to reason that any similarly stlyized hand-drawn animation coming from Japan would be a cartoon too. But of course to many people "cartoon" just refers to those kind of shows you'd see on Saturday mornings with Batman or Goofy, while "anime" are those shows that look like Naruto and Sailor Moon - hence why ATLA is often referred to as an "american anime" or how Wakfu is called a "french anime".

Of course since this is a western-oriented imageboard, there doesn't need to be a special distinction made for cartoons coming from the west, so "cartoons" is a sufficient term to use. Japanese cartoons would be welcome too if there were not already a designated board for talking about all japanese animation - or Anime.

These are representative examples of cartoons:
youtube.com/watch?v=1QXDEoVlkAE
youtube.com/watch?v=vOGhAV-84iI
youtube.com/watch?v=BBgghnQF6E4
youtube.com/watch?v=pAcXt-NOb1U

Cartoons have many features common to them. Anime have a completely different set of features common to them. Because they are two different types of animation.

Well if you're done being incredibly vague, could you actually describe those features? As far as I'm aware the only features that define "cartoon" are being hand drawn and depicting things in an unrealistic, stylized fashion.
Anime is any animation that came out of Japan. It could be CG, hand drawn, claymation, whatever. It's definition doesn't exclude anything that can be classified as anime from being classified as cartoon as well.

Cartoons are more or less derived from Vaudeville theatre. They are comedic shorts where the characters are performers that engage in exaggerated physical comedy, singing and dancing. They feature anthropomorphized animal and object characters and highly caricatured human characters. The animation emphasizes fluidness and making the character squash and stretch and otherwise act and move in ways that are impossible in reality. At the very least the character acting is exaggerated.

Very typical of cartoons is the camera work and how scenes are set up. The camera is oriented at a 90 degree angle to the set/scene (or maybe at a 45 degree angle), is at a neutral height and keeps the characters fully in the frame. The purpose of the camera is to capture the performances of the characters in a utilitarian manner. The characters usually stand on the same plane, face the camera sideways and mostly move left and right. Background paintings are irrelevant and don't have to do anything except provide a vague backdrop. There's the impression that the characters are standing on a very shallow stage and you're sitting in the audience. The music is just there to emphasize the action in a way very similar to sound effects.

Cartoons are not based on the cinematic method of filmmaking. Anime, however, is. In a nutshell, anime uses all the same audiovisual and narrative techniques as cinema and with the same goal of dramatic storytelling about pretty much any topic in any genre in any style. Anime emphasizes realistic, detailed drawings and realistic character acting, detailed and realistic backgrounds, settings and props, high quality music and sound design, and so on. Anime also uses a unique style of animation and character design not seen in cartoons or American animation at large.

There are many, many, many, many other differences, many of which extend beyond anime (since anime is part of a larger media network, and is derived from manga in the first place). These are just the broad strokes. Listing the similarities would be much easier.

The animation we call anime is descended from Astro Boy, and not all Japanese animation falls under the anime umbrella (although almost all of it does, so it's not a bad generalization).

You are not going to see this in Mickey Mouse any time soon:
sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/24121/

This is why we need right-wing death squads.

I read it all, it's all pathetic crap. Go outside, you autist.
>>>/out/

Your incredibly narrow and focused definition is excluding quite a few shows from being considered cartoons, like
and many, many more. In fact, very few bits of western animation outside of things like classic Disney shorts, Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, and other comedic theatrical animations would be considered cartoons. Hell, even some Anime could count as cartoons with that definition.

See pic related? That's a cartoon. Cartoon is not derived solely from Vaudeville, it's not an animation-excluive term, and it's not a regionally exclusive term. It simply refers to any unrealistic and stylized hand-drawn imagery, animated or not. On the flipside, Anime is not defined by realistic figures or framing and composition that imitates live-action cinema. Your pedantic definition only really describes the dominant use of cartoons in during the first-half of the 20th century, not it's defining traits.

The only reason it got back on the air was due to Adult Swim's faggotry.

Weeb.

God, this thread is fucking pathetic. I'm gonna go watch all these cartoons people want gone, save for that Pony BS, now.

But they don't. If you think they do then list the similarities.

I never said that what I was describing is supposed to apply to any and all animated TV shows made in America or the West. If you don't think the description applies to something then maybe it isn't a cartoon.

No, they wouldn't. What does Hidamari Sketch have to do with cartoons? It's nothing like what I described.

I was not talking about the etymology.

The imitation of cinema is one of the most fundamental aspects of anime. The pursuit of realism (which can mean different things) is ubiquitous, but perhaps not quite as fundamental as cinematism.

How am I a weeb?

Pretty much the same thing the Big Bang Theory fag from a while back said when people where making fun of the show and the shit year that was 2007 that gave us tumblr. Honestly you could not be more obvious. BBT was a mistake.

Once again animefags ruin another Holla Forums thread.

Once again someone blames other people for something they started:

Well shit, better get rid of all these not-cartoons from the board. Someone also better stop me from posting these images that somehow aren't cartoons but were the actual originators of the fucking term.

Let's see

Hell, many cartoons like Hanna Barbera era Tom & Jerry wouldn't even fit your description, given how the camera angles are often more than just simple 90° or 45° angles and make plenty of use of backgrounds. Your description a shit, user. Seek help.

Ok, you go ahead and do that. For some reason.

I never said anything about them so I don't know why you're trying to act so victimized and upset over them.

They have stylized heads as is normally the case in manga/anime, other than that they look like humans.

The basic character acting is realistic.

It doesn't use cartoon filmmaking. The camera angles are much more varied and the locations have a sense of space to them even with the simplified backgrounds.

They don't.

They are very simplified compared to normal anime backgrounds and are often entirely abstract, but that does not somehow mean they are irrelevant.

But it is.

You are comparing Hidamari Sketch against my basic description of a cartoon instead of actually comparing it against cartoons (which would immediately show that they aren't anything alike), and you are evaluating every element separately in a vacuum instead of looking at the big picture they form (and even then you're doing a very poor job and probably have never even watched Hidamari Sketch).

Because it isn't 100% descriptive of every second of every cartoon ever made and doesn't account for every possible thing that could possibly happen in a cartoon?

What the fuck?

Whatever helps you and your friends' ebin pathetic depressed circlejerk, buddy.

It's all animation you fucking weeb. Being from your precious Nippon doesn't change that. But go on, tell why all your harem "comedies" and fanservice animus are super-cereal.

A helicopter and a bicycle are both vehicles, so I guess that makes them the same thing. And how am I a weeb?

I don't recall arguing that anime isn't animation.

Go on and tell me where we were discussing the seriousness of harem comedies and fanservice.

Come one guys, you know he's trying to stir shit up so he can bitch in another one of his shitty meta threads.

Yes, it does. That's what I said.

Those images are production mistakes and have nothing to do with what we're talking about.

That first image haunts me for days every time I see it. So instead of taking it like a cuck I did something about it. pic related

Shit, posted too soon, wasn't done typing.

The one on the left is too fucked up for me to fix using what I've got, but I did at least do some adequate damage control. The one on the right actually looks pretty good with the mouth closer to where it's supposed to be.

Doesn't change the fact that you're cherrypicking. It's no different from saying all cartoons are Family Guy.

The first two images are brought up again, again and again. If they're supposed to be representative of some systemic issue then it sure is strange that people keep coming back to just those two examples and one or two others (not that production mistakes are even relevant to what we're talking about).

Look at the elaborate hair, the perspective and the details in the clothing.

Even Anime at is worst is still better than cartoons.

Fairly Odd Parents would be the correct answer. It would mean Butch Hartman wouldn't have a career and thus none of his other shows would get made either.

Teen Titans Go is something that's more like a symptom of the cancer that is consuming CN right now.

You . Are. A. Weeaboo.

even barring that disgusting display, it's well known that faces tend to be highly stylized in anime, and nobody would imply otherwise. pick on something less obvious.

Modern day sophists, people.

Have you ever actually seen cartoons? They have very simplistic character designs and camera work. Modern TV shows are pretty much the same even if they aren't outright cartoons.

Something is a cartoon because it possesses the qualities that make it a cartoon. If it does not possess those qualities then it is not a cartoon.

Is mayonnaise Anime?

What anime is that from?

We see you, Enter

The character on the right is from the first version of Kanon. It was re-adapted later by Kyoto Animation.

It was, I recall Pendleton Ward being acknowledged in the credits in at least one Flapjack ep.