I was recently invited to make an account and join a particular organization over this site...

I was recently invited to make an account and join a particular organization over this site. Until now I'd never heard of it.

What does Holla Forums think about MeWe?

Is this a genuinely privacy-respecting alternative to Facebook or yet another front for datamining?

Other urls found in this thread:

shitposter.club/
bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=271559907
bizapedia.com/ca/SGROUPLES-INC.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgrouples_(Social_Network)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This all makes me feel real warm and fuzzy inside, but can they actually be trusted to uphold this?

Anything is data mining if you can't control it.
The server that have less probability to not have datamining are the gnu social servers (twitter clone).

for example :
shitposter.club/

if you are not happy you can make your own gnu social server.

Apparently the inventor of the World Wide Web does consulting for this. Surely that means it's legit?

I'm really just looking for an excuse not to use it. I fucking hate social media and it really pisses me off that this organization I want to get involved in does just about all their shit over it. They may have presented this alternative to me specifically because of my comment "Facebook is a cancer on privacy rights." I don't want to feel like that asshole when someone is actually trying to accommodate me for once.

Looks really comfy OP

Use GNU Social

Honestly that seems amazing. As long as they're sticking to those values they outlined, that sounds great. OP, sign up and update us on what it's like

The idea of an opensource federated "social network" seems so ass backwards. It's a degenerate normie form of communication.

Yes you should just use what your group is using. Getting data-raped is the cost of onymous communication.

Unfortunately that's just a Twitter alternative. We need a FOSS alternative to Shitbook too.

MeWe is owned by Sgrouples, Inc., a for-profit corporation registered in Delaware (a state known for its business-friendly laws and courts) and registered in California as a California Foreign Corporation (foreign as in another state, in this case Delaware, not a foreign country). The "principal" of the corporation is a Mark (((Weinstein))).

bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/snapshot.asp?privcapId=271559907
bizapedia.com/ca/SGROUPLES-INC.html

Trusted identities, i.e. getting rid of anonymity on the internet.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgrouples_(Social_Network)

Here's a question for you, m80. Do you pay to use MeWe? A monthly or annual membership or subscription? No?

If you're not the customer, you're the product.

Given (((Weinstein's))) involvement in the trusted identity thing, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea is to convert MeWe accounts into some kind of profitable online identity system.

Also, is that "Privacy Bill of Rights" even legally binding upon them? Check the ToS and Privacy Policy. That's where the turbo-Jewing will likely occur, like those lovely blanket statements that companies love that go like "We reserve the right to change this document at any time, and we do not have to inform you."

OP,
Rule of thumb: If you put your data on somebody else's computer, it not safe from datamining.
Period.

Are you paying a monthly fee or viewing ads?

If not, then the answer is no.

Whelp, that's depressing. Thanks for the legwork user.

Saved.

You investigative journalism level is over 9000

When "privacy", "encryption", or "no adverts" is used as marketing or product differentiation NOTHING good can come of it.

Whatsapp were supposedly all about privacy too. Then they got bought. By Facebook as it happens, but that's by the by; any suitor would have ultimately wanted the same out of their purchase.
Companies don't get bought for their moral compasses.

Whatsapp was always a ponzi scheme, even before they sold out.

Fixed income per user. Variable cost of running the service.
(Lots of investor money to burn)

Stop believing in promises, you are basically begging to get fucked over. Instead, make sure that it is impossible to get your info or consider everything else part of the public record.

I don't think you understand what a ponzi scheme is

Well if you want to be an autistic faggot

No it isn't from the public facing side, but the fixed payments from the new users are paying to run the service for the users who have already paid, while attracting investment from a wider and wider base who are expecting returns. But will never get one under this model. Over-all this has a pyramid shape and is completely unsustainable without changing to a jewish business model.

Like all American companies.

This isn't autism, this is you being a nigger. Words have meanings.