Why do people get so triggered over the Windows Registry?

Tell me Holla Forums. Why do the tech illiterates fear the registry?

Some retards even think it requires "cleaning"
The registry is supposed to contain entry's of old data, its called a registry" for a reason. An unfilled registry is a registry going unused. Windows cleans orphaned data after it hits a size limit anyways

And of course its hard to read, its a binary configuration database, its designed for speed, its much faster than storing config data in plain text files. And because its centralized it means less config files cluttering the filesystem. Its not even hard to read once you realize everything is just a like to HIKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE anyways

Windows registry is literally systemd: the configuration paradigm.

So how long before Lennart creates registryd?

And that's better how? I'd much rather find the right files with find/grep than through some crappy registry-specific application. Windows users don't have grep though so I don't know how worse it is for them.
As for performance, if reading the config is your bottleneck your application finishes so fast that I don't see the value of speeding it up. I'd rather have easy of use.

The Linux kernel with systemd, bash, glibc, Python, PHP, Apache, and ext4 built into it. Have it so even if systemd is in the kernel it still boots in userspace from a secondary filesystem that is generated every 15 seconds.

Can you elaborate? Nobody ever seems to bother explaining what they mean by this.

Nothing, he is just being retarded.

A centralized everything-under-the-sun opaque blob for all your system management and configuration needs of course.

kek

What kind of configuration does it do besides startup and services?

How is it more of an opaque blob than the things before it?

We just use search bar thing that is found on every file explorer window to search for files.

Not the same as grep.
Actually worse than grep.
Worse than find.

gconf already exists.

Why normies are normies?

This actually started by the retardation of Windows. Some programs were still listed in add-remove dialog box even after uninstallation. The problem was some registry items were not removed. So people became aware of registry and started cleaning it up. Thus, you got registry cleaners.

Windows does have an equivalent in PowerShell but nobody uses that because the conventional DOS/NT shell is still the default shell for shit like batch scripts

For one thing it dicks with multiple parallel installations and makes it harder to wipe something away cleanly.

They could just as well have tossed in an API + editor for that format and still had it decentralized. It's not really a huge or complicated task, the reason people use .ini files is because the speed bump is negligible.

Thats what Regedit is though. Yes, Regedit is very rudimentary, but Microsoft didn't want to make it anymore complicated than that because there is very little reason anybody should be editing the registry manually
Unless the particular program you use was designed so poorely as to overly abuse the registry. The most a program will leave behind are link and directory references. And again, the registry is SUPPOSED TO contain old data, its called the "registry" for a reason. Having the data there will not slow you down, since the registry itself has a size limit anyhow (its a soft limit that can be adjusted if you really feel like you'll ever fill it)

Use baregrep

I'm not an expert, but these are my main woes with it.

>"create a DWORD in the registry named "
Every fucking time.

2. Programs leave orphaned entries. Can't tell legit entries from leftover junk

3. No fucking information as to its layout or organization: GUIDs fucking everywhere, hard to understand abbreviated names, configuration for programs is spread over different keys and at least 5 Windows/CurrentVersion keys in different places, making it hell to pinpoint all entries pertaining to a program or feature, etc.

There was no fucking need to dump everything into one file.

That doesn't magically make it a good thing. It still fucks with your ability to make a clean reinstall.

But its a matter of how much you value a "clean install" Again, an unfilled registry is a registry going unused, it can't be "clean" or "dirty" and extra shit doesn't slow it down whatsoever. protip; even portable executibles you don't install have a registry referencing its directory listing for the shell. A registry is exactly what it says on the tin, its a fucking registry of data. There is no such thing as a "dirty" registry

It was when I was I was trudging through the Windows registry, modifying keys to enable me to set a default browser that wasn't properly "registered" when I finally asked myself, "What for? What am I teaching myself here? Will this benefit me in the real world?"

The answer to this was, of course, "no". So I decided to do something productive and learn a Unix-like operating system.

After AppImages/Snaps become standard and people start losing track of where their shit is installed. :^)

Sounds like PEBKAC to me bro. Did you ever try bothering to check the browsers settings first? Or even the control panel?

win registry is completely cryptic and every program using it has it's own idea how to utilize it

it's pretty much entire /etc folder showed into one file

Oh you misunderstand, I got it to work, but only after rifling around the registry.

Yeah, the registry is stupid and doesn't teach you anything worth learning. Sorry, broseph, it's shit.

I should also add that trudging through this year's flavor of schizophrenic Microsoft® GUI is not ideal for any solution, let alone the shitshow that is the registry. Shit takes 2 seconds on a Unix system and I can get a job in the real world with that kind of knowledge.

Is this one person using this name, or is it a lot of people? What's the point?

No shit. But for me, being able to force settings back to default is a lot more valuable than saving 15 nanoseconds on reading an ini file.

Which leads me to wondering, is there any sort of guide, anywhere, on the Internet, with a comprehensive list of the registry keys utilized by Windows and other first-party Microsoft tools? Say I ever want to expand my skill set (or am just a sick masochist), committing registry keys to memory and having registry tinkering superpowers might be a good edge to have over Pajeet.

lol'd

You are reading config options, nigger.

Because pretty much every other operating system in existence uses plain-text for the same purpose, and has done so for decades.

Systemd's configuration is plain text and file system structure, just like what came before it. Have you even used or looked at systemd?

I'm referring to the registry, not systemd here.

Ah, sorry. The post you were replying to asked about systemd but I didn't make that clear.

Imagine the speed gains from writing all the config data without vowels

The registry is a clusterfuck and is why you can't just move an application around by moving a directory.

Sssssshhhhh... Don't give him ideas!

Yes, how would screwing around with the inner workings of the most widely used desktop OS on the planet help you in any way?

Might wanna compare wages of tech support/Windows sysadmins to UNIX/Linux sysadmins there, buddy.

I think the term config options implies a level of exposure that is obviously not intended as per the registry's design.

I'm pretty certain there's a DLL for interfacing with the registry in .NET.

see pic

obvious shill or butthurt winfag

There was no good reasons to introduce the registry. Even back then, performance of configuration files wasn't something worth worrying about. It was introduced because it was different. It made it harder to make things portable or multiplatform. It's an embodiment of the third E: Extinguish.

To add, more brutal than making applications unportable, things like the registry make experience difficult to transfer between operating systems. It's like forcing a new language on half of a country's people. It would only serve to divide.

You do realize an application can be portable and still store config data to the registry right?

You do realise your mother can say she loves you and still think you're an incredible disappointment.

Anyway, you're point is moot. The registry has no purpose regardless.

*your

Congrats on your acceptance as a proofreader for kotaku. Now you don't have to be the cart boy at the local supermarket.

Isn't that a demotion?