HP pre-programmed failure date of unofficial/ non-HP ink cartridges in its printers

Early disclaimer: I am not the author of the article. I am just a dude who works in the aftermarket side of this sick, cancerous industry.

myce.com/news/hp-pre-programmed-failure-date-unofficial-non-hp-ink-cartridges-printers-80457/

Please, PLEASE help get this in front of as many eyes as possible. This is nothing new for HP. It has been happening for YEARS. The first I noticed was with the Officejet 6310 printers, that would continuously reject aftermarket HP 95 cartridges. One of my regulars came in asking for one, and by that point, I had begun asking customers what printers they had to save them some hassle. When that customer said that his printer was connected to a computer that had never been connected to the net, I just gave him the fucking thing in exchange for info. DING DING FUCKING DING, it worked like a fucking champ. That was my proof that HP had been sending out updates to disable the printer that YOU OWNED OUTRIGHT to force you to buy brand new OEM products.

This has since continued with a variety of printers taking HP 75's, 96's, and now more recently 61's and 950/951's. I have confirmation of this from an engineer who works on a reverse engineering team at a company who will remain nameless at his request. I know that sounds sketchy, and I am sorry for that, but since his team is small, he asked me to not name the company.

HP is a fucking scourge on the entire tech industry.

If you use Plebbit or Reddit or whatever you want to call that shitshow, please post this. If you use social media, please post this. I don't know, pick a fucking hashtag, something like #hpistrash or whatever. Please get this info out there, not just on this one little used site I linked. I've never even heard of Myce.com until seeing this link earlier, and it's not getting much traction on the site I found it.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-1j0XDGIsUg
0x0.st/-k.txt
bbc.com/news/technology-37408173
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is why I use an epson printer
Why is this jewery surprising? The company literally makes locked down unupgradable pre-built PCs

Why is HP not building a memristor computer? They were hyped up 5-7 years ago and nothing.

Reminds me of that lightbulb documentary I watched a while back. They had a story about a guy and his printer that refused to work. Turned out the fuckers had put a counter chip on the printer's circuit to count the number of pages printed total and then triggered a software failure error after x-number of pages -- requiring the user to buy a new printer.

The guy had to get some sketchy firmware files from Russian forums to override the chip, after which time it worked perfectly again.

youtube.com/watch?v=-1j0XDGIsUg

This is not the only shady thing they do
One of my professors at uni told us that HP is selling half full cartridges and it is nowhere declared that they are half full. You probably bought them all the time now without even knowing this.

However, there are chinese cartridges which are fully filled but the newer HP printers have chips that detect if the cartridge is original or not. So if the printer detects a non-authorised cartridge, it will not take the ink.

That's why this sort of shit exists.

And to think, there was a point in time where people in America wanted HP's former CEO to be President.

Is there actually a good brand of printers which have decent linux support and don't do everything in their power to fuck customers over and rob them blind?

hahahahaha

also you didn't specify what type of printer so: Lulzbot

Maybe that's the answer - get a color 3D printer and just print a single layer per page - 2 layers if I want double sided. As a bonus it wouldn't even need paper.

Imagine if car companies pulled shit like that. You turn the thing on and it refuses to move until you replace the oil with HP Oil and fill the tank with their overpriced fuel which is sold by the ml and is more expensive than gold.

Ever heard of a company called "BMW"? Ever paid $300 for a single dashboard lightbulb?

This fucking shit here. I have seen TOO much of this bullshit with Epson printers. 'Your printer has reached the end of its useful life" when it was just fucking working.

Fuck I hate the industry I work in so god damned much.

shitty graph
you'd assume that what's in the syringe is the measurement, but it's the price
they should all have the same amount in the syringe with the prices listed

a nigger made that graph

This is absolutely outrageous. How are they not getting their asses sued off for anti-trust violations over this shit?

I'm not revealing the company (small anyways, so wouldn't make much difference), but basically each night we ran a test suite which recorded the total run time. After I pushed an upgrade to optimize some retarded code I found, it significantly shortened the run time of the nightly test.

Good right? No. My boss said, that change is good but we can sell that speed increase as an upgrade down the road. I turned in my notice right away.

I hope HP do not gain any traction in 3D printing, of course they will, but a man can dream.

Was it a friend of a friend of his cousin's nephew?
If this were a real thing, they should contact someone like Department of Justice, or Consumerist, or create and hype a website with a nifty name and logo with PROOF OF CLAIMS, but they won't because it's bullshit.

Great. Yet another reason why proprietary software is cancer. It will make a find addition to my list.

So if they get evil updates via Internet, you can just firewall that shit. Don't route anything from printer's IP. Find out its MAC address, and don't let it use DHCP. Give it static address.
Anyway I'm not a fan of inkjet printers these days, especially those all-in-one monsters. Miss the old parallel port dot matrix stuff. And lasers are ok for office, but I don't want or need one personally.

Literally who cares

Dumb graph

These fucking jews are literally destroying a freedom people built for themselves a millenium ago.
If this keeps up we won't be allowed to even buy paper a few decades from now. Combined with the nu-male trend of replacing websites with nigger hieroglyphics, soon we'll need licenses to read or write.

Shit like this is why terms like "kike" still exist in my vocabulary. There's just no other way to describe HP's shenanigans so succinctly.

I had to google that and holy shit it's actually legit.
I am now physically disgusted and will make sure to never purchase an Epson printer. What the fuck.

Good on HP for protecting their interests.

Parasites BTFO

Mercedez master race

It's a perfectly fine graph if you're not retarded

I bought an absolutely shitty chink laser printer for $20 at a Micro Center a few months ago. It has wireless capability that shits the bed every few times you use it and engrish documentation but the thing just werks.

I'll probably just buy a new one and throw the other one away when the toner runs out.

FSF-approved embedded printer OS when?

What's a good printer you can buy nowadays without bullcrap embedded in it? I had an HP all-in-one and when that started to shit the bed I bought an Epson and it sucks ass too and often refuses to use ink cartridges for no reason whatsoever.

Does such a thing even exist anymore?

I use a Brother printer. How safe am I from this bullshit?

Probably we have to start building our own printers at this point, because they pretty much all suck. There's even color inkjets that have no black cartridge, so you're forced to use the other colors more rapidly (combined together they give you black). SUpposedly the printer is a loss-leader and they make up the profits on cartriges.

if you are handy with embedded you can do this easily enough.

related is someone's lego printer. prints in any color you can find a marker for, if you can accept what looks like a 5 minute per page printing speed.

to make something more useful wouldn't be difficult.

List of Holla Forums approved printers when?

Here you go:
0x0.st/-k.txt

That graph is outdated as fuuuuuuuuuuck now too. HP 45's are a motherfucking bargain compared to 61's. Those hit right about $3.75 per mL retail price for black carts. If I bust the top off, I can't even fit my finger in the chamber that holds the ink. 2/3 of the interior is wasted space.

I understand your suspicions, but it's a very small team at a company that is very influential in this market. He legitimately could lose his job if things came back around to him. I told him I would not name the company, and I try my best to be a man of my word.

I will tell you who it ISN'T: It's NOT Green Project using their shitty Apex chips that DON'T FUCKING WORK WORTH A FUCK.

Speaking of: Since my boss surprisingly knew about this, I can 100% tell you that this shit with the HP950/951 has been going on since APRIL.

Also, sorry: I can't speak to what others have done, but I met with my state representative over these issues (among other bullshit like extra installers in software being opt-out being complete fuckery).

On a scale of zero to zero, guess how many fucks were given by him.

Buy a Brother laser printer. Get chink cartridges off eBay for next to nothing. When the drum goes out after about four cartridges, buy another Brother printer.

well my post implied not having to do this, but thanks for the suggestion and I'll keep it in mind.

so what's the solution?

use an old printer? or use bios hacks to disable the bullshit... too bad nobody posted the sites where you can mod the firmware.

bbc.com/news/technology-37408173

Holla Forums being slow as shit as usual

Get fucked parasites, pay for the proper ink or make your own printer

Uncle used to work for one of those companies, was pretty shit tbh, ink was nothing like original.

Then again this was like ten years ago, maybe shit isn't as bad nowadays.

thanks for nothing

get fucked, bootlick

HP printers are the worst. Just multi-spectrum crap.
Anyone who has owned more than a few printers knows this to be true. It's Printers 101. The steps of noticing go something like this:
The printer firmware isn't friendly and is slow and awkward, the drivers are of mixed quality, and are packaged with shareware. Not a great start.
The ink runs out fast; not unreasonably fast, but fast enough to be a minor irritant. Odds are if this is the user's first printer, these things won't be immediately obvious as bad. Then they'll likely observe that the price of the ink nearly matches the price of a new printer, which of course comes with a new cartridge (mysterious, and might give an owner pause for a moment). The user, depending on their intellect, will, sooner or later, try another brand out of compounding desperation and find things imperceptibly better.

The problem is that printers are the long game. You buy them and if/when they fuck you in months, not days, so people don't get furious over it quickly either.

And sure, HP's (paid?) internet defenders moan and complain about how we're using the devices all wrong, how inkjet printers need to be kept wet and lubricated (with regular inkjetting), to prevent drying out, etc, and how if we want devices that can sit for months and then print first time, we should all consider laser printers instead. And maybe they're right, but it doesn't sit right, as I'm sure we've all had an inkjet that performed fine when left alone.

Anyway, this is the lesson everyone learns. HP makes crap everything. Their computers are losing them money, thankfully, so we'll see the end of that in the immediate future, and that will only leave the printer business (and servers I guess) which can't compete with people doing the bare minimum to not fuck the customer with the intensity that HP opt for.

BMW also refuse to service cars that have been serviced outside of a BMW service center - ever.

dye CISS scum

I get ya, but honestly the way imaging drums work, they do genuinely just wear out. You can get Brother toners online piss cheap. Mine was $12, since Brother toner carts don't include a built in drum. You don't NEED to replace drums each and every time. The drum unit that comes in the printer lasts ~4 of the appropriate cart, which for home use, is in the ballpark of 6-8k pages.

The other option is almost every other toner brand there is, which have drums built in to the cartridge. You get fucked on those, because that's just added cost that you don't necessarily need to spend.

End result is when it comes to replacing that drum, just buy the new generation of printer, and buy the chink cartridges for that one. I don't recommend buying knock off drums because I've seen so many shit ones, and even at my store, a drum unit is close to the cost of a new printer.

Another option for cartridges with no built in drum are Oki brand, but fuck, I'm not Scrooge McDuck swimming around in a vault of shekels.

I upgraded parts of my Laptop without a problem.

And I'm only using HP because this Laptop was free. TL;DR

How good is Epson by the way? I've heard of them, but have yet to try them.

Older Epson models are the best. Which usually encompasses the early 2000s (although I'd stop at 2008, just to be safe).

Newer Epson models are trash just like everything else made these days.

Only 4 cartridges? That sucks ass.

That's nothing, for 20 years i used this

Eh, then spring for another drum if you want. The printer will still work like a champ, the coating will just have worn off the drum.

I used epson printer in the 90s and they were shit

Ive had 2 HPs do this exact crap so it is nice to see some confirmation as I always expected they intentionally shit the bed with the firmware, drivers and UI.

On the other hand my parents have a HP laserjet that is 15+ years old and it still kicks ass. Its such a simple technology that the current market should appear like a scam but normies don't give a fuck.