Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/tech/
makeuseof.com/tag/5-cheap-linux-computers-can-buy-today/
wiki.installgentoo.com/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

use sticky

git a thinkpad nigga

Avoid these brands (defective hardware and/or drivers): Seagate, Broadcom, Qualcomm, Nvidia, Intel, Creative
Avoid these buzzwords (planned obsolesence and known architectural flaws): DDR4, TLC/MLC SSD
Avoid these forums for advice (full of edgy rulecuck morons): 8ch.net/tech/

Building your own PC will save you a lot of headaches and money in the long run, m80.

Requirements? Budget? Stationary or portable?
You need to state what you need, faggot. We ain't no mind-readers.

I know how you feel OP. My current laptop is dying too. I've been eyeballing the XPS 13 and 15 then I remembered that Dell's customer service is ran by a bunch of pajeet curry niggers. There's not a single laptop that has my attention at the moment.

I understand how Nvidia and Creative shits suck but how is Intel defective? Works pretty well, botnet aside.

I guess he meant the botnet. Also, Intel is a major corporate sponsor of SJWism, so that's another reason to avoid them if possible.

depends what you wanna do. For just browsing and watching jewtube you can buy a used laptop with low specs, slap some minimalistic distro onto it and there you go.

If you need some rendering power or generally more performance, you'll have to got botnet (intel i5/i7 or amd). For vidya refer to newest goyim graphic cards.

I'd go for a mediocre laptop from lenovo or asus (or dell if you're a burgerclap).

* Sold CPUs advertised as supporting TSX when they were broken
* Most of their CPUs have some defect papered over with microcode updates
* GPU drivers so shit they haven't been able to tag a stable release in 3 years
* Has such a high physical defect rate they were artificially price-scalping on features like virtualization, OCing and 64-bit long after the competition made them standard

everything from thinkpad and thinkcentre is perfect... using thinkcentre m58p, upgraded to q660 and 4g ram... works fast like hell, with gentoo of course

check these out, OP.

makeuseof.com/tag/5-cheap-linux-computers-can-buy-today/

kys

Buy a used 12xx v3 series intel xeon cpu (I got mine because 45w tdp not 95w)
buy 2 x 8gb low voltage ram
any ol mobo
rx 460/480 gpu

The fuck is wrong with paying attention to MLC vs. TLC SSD? TLC has roughly half the lifetime reliability of MLC.

How?

My Core 2 Duo with a fucking GT 400 series GPU still fucking works fine, HDDs and all

My old Thinkpad T42 still works fine

My Commodore 64 still works fine

Do you people just throw your computer around and abuse it daily on purpose? Do you all live in a fucking desert with 100 degrees F ambient temperatures year round?

If you give a shit about your computers and prevent conditions like tin whisker growth, over-heating components, and happens to use quality capacitors that aren't made by Chinese companies that second-source them from rejected batches. Your computers should last a lifetime and perhaps even longer than that

Ignore freetards who tell you to avoid Intel and Nvidia, there is literally 0 evidence their ICs use a form of planned obsolescence, in fact, with both Intel and Nvidia being contracted and used by high-profile mission-critical customers even considering something like that would be a really fucking bad idea. If anything you should avoid AMD until they show any kind of promise with Zen because they still don't know jack shit about proper thermal design

No.

You are right that yes you will likely manage to keep a large chunk of your electronics for a long time but you will get a bunch of failures as well.

I've had a 486DX4120 system completely fail, a K7 Thunderbird mobo blow all its caps, an asus stryker mobo kill ram sticks then commit seppeku, two nvidia 8800 artifact and two nvidia 570 blow out and that just from memory.

Shit happens

oh yes my core2duo is still working ;p

Components don't "just fail" though, usually there is a central cause behund it. Like heat, or manufacturing defects

The fuck? What led you to that conclusion?

You probably just need a new hard drive, m8. You said yourself you don't know much about hardware, so I'm not sure your diagnosis is accurate.

He's probably saying stick to SLC.

Beware of ME/AMT and AMD equivalents.

yes and almost all components are subjected to heat and defects.

A lot of them are, but "most" is dubious, there is a good rule to go by. "Every year the chances of your hardware failing go up by 10 percent for the first 5 years, if after 5 years your hardware hasn't failed chances of it failing become minimal"

in other words, after the first 5 years if your computer hasn't shit itself yet, you're most likely safe from manufacturing defects and its just a matter of keeping it below 90 degrees under full load

Fucking this OP, go to and pay head to the wiki wiki.installgentoo.com/

depends on lots of shit m8
if you're going to play vidya your only choice is intel/nvidia, but amd might work if you expect dx12/vulkan to become commonplace anytime soon

that's because you're black

this tbqh famolambo
for over 10 years have i been running my p3/geforce mx 440 computer on fullblast nonstop and it just works

One of my HDDs failed recently. Complete head failure. Didn't bother trying to repair but I still have it as a paperweight I guess.

Older systems are just plain better, period. I don't know about newer systems "lasting a lifetime" though. Sounds pretty retarded to me tbh fam.

Modern components can be just as durable as older components

The main difference is back then you could get a nice cheap rig to last a lifetime but today to get comparable quality you have to pay a premium

I want to learn Linux again but I'm lost where to start. Planning on dual booting my windows 7 rig for this. Last time I touched Linux was when I built a squid proxy when I started in IT.

Can someone help me to get started again in Linux and point me in the right direction? Thanks

...yet having MORE storage will offset this due to wear leveling over the entire space. If the cheaper prices of TLC allow you to afford a bigger disk, that problem solves itself. You'll never wear out a 480GB TLC drive unless you are routinely doing something extremely unusual that hammers the drive constantly.

SLC drives are ridiculously expensive and completely not worth it.

1. Install a noob-friendly distro (Mint, *buntu...)
2. Start using it.

is debian noob friendly?

HA!

It all has to break one time or another, whether it has been professionally maintained or beaten to hell and back.

My first, brand new computer, was a Dell XPS M1530 that died a month after the warranty expired. After some lurking I found out the Core 2 Duo-based XPS line was notorious for overheating and desoldering the Nvidia chip from the board.

My next laptop was a second-hand HP Pavilion DV6000. And just like the Dell XPS it overheated (like many other owners of the DV6000, DV2000 and DV9500 reported) and killed itself.

Since then I've had several wonderful desktops and laptops that could hold up through extremes but it's dubious to think it would last a lifetime.

read a book.
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Sort of.

I just learned it by trying various distros and looking up anything I didn't understand. I guess a book like might help. Depends on What Works For You™. I've found the books on Bash by O'Reilly to be pretty helpful, and PDFs of them are easy to find. I think they have general Linux books too.

My HDD where i had all my pictures, music and movies saved on just died...
Hardware is mortal too, never forget that.

there's something about nvidia/amd gpus killing off laptops easily, it's better to just get a laptop with only intel hd graphics

RAIDless pleb

You're the real pleb here, guy