So, Legend of Korra made most of the returning Gaang into neglectful or otherwise "bad" parents

This seriously gets me. What was Bryke trying to do by handling the returning Gaang members that way?

cultural
marxism

I don't think it's necessarily jewing that caused it. Don't get me wrong; a fuck ton of what was so shitty about Korra was its insistence on nonstop tumblr pandering and I'm not ruling it out, but I think it's equally likely it's just another chance of Bryke being shit writers, going full Lucas, and again not understanding why people liked the original series in the first place.

Having your main characters come from dysfunctional and broken homes is not inherently bad. Hell, the main cast from AtLA all had parental angst as part of their backstories: Toph's parents were way too overprotective and controlling, Katara and Sokka's mom was murdered in a war their father sort of abandoned them to fight in, Aang was raised by a commune of monks who got shoah'd, and Zuko goes without saying. The only main(ish) character who grew up in a stable family free from tragedy is Suki, who was also severely underwritten and lacked any sort of definable personality at all.

It's understandable why writers give their characters shitty childhoods or family situations: it's a very easy way to make them sympathetic to the audience as well as give them something to overcome and develop from. Combine that with the fact that familial angst was such a recurring theme in AtLA and you can see why Bryke shoehorned it into Korra: they were trying, in their limited capacity as writers, to make people emotionally invested in the original casts kids beyond their connection to the original cast.

The problem is that this fundamentally means tearing down and shitting all over the characters from the original series to prop up the new ones. Aang, Katara, and Toph were taken from the well rounded, responsible, and emotionally mature people they grew into in the original series and regressed into the borderline abusive failures of adults they were in Korra because Bryke decided they wanted to focus on their kids, and if there wasn't the exact same conflict to make you care about them that there was in the first series, that would be boring!

The only reason Zuko, Sokka, and Suki didn't recieve the same butchering is because their kids weren't given the same amount of prominence, if any at all. Though ironically if they did the same thing to Suki it would probably develop her character instead of butcher it simply because there isn't much there to ruin in the first place.

tl;dr- Kike and Boring are shit writers and dead franchise is dead.

You know what…seeing all of these Avatar threads made me think..how about we come up with a better MC? I mean, I did see some guy coming up with some ideas in one thread.

Yea, this is why I stopped watching korra and never picked it up again.

Just shits all over the original gang for DRAMA.

Drama..and a time-waster of a romance plot.

Only if we set it after Korra where things naturally went to shit after the series.

Well..we can have the world not needing an Avatar anymore..or the White Lotus Society going underground and had to deal with things from the shadows. History talking about knowing more about Korra's romance than her successes..if she ever had one.

This right here is also the problem with Marvel and DC. No one is allowed a happy ending or to rest in peace.

Isn't the Avatar a fundamental linchpin to the cosmology of the world? Even if the Avatar isn't regarded as an authority figure he/she is still needed. Really the story they should be telling is is a world that THINKS it no longer needs the Avatar and discovering that it actually does need him.

That's the idea.You see, because of Korra's fuckups, the entire world now despises the Avatar.

His problem is being the last airbender and needing to produce more. (It weird they only stopped at 3 kids, if this were the modern era that kid would probably be forced into donating sperm or something to create as many opportunities for airbender kids to be born* ). Of course as soon a airbending child is discovered, he's going to teach the fuck out of it because who else can pass on/learn those unique skills of his near dead culture?

And then obviously Aang dies, making Tenzin "the last airbender." Who then got lucky with his non-bending wife** and created a whole bunch of kids that could airbend.

* It was never explained what happens to the Avatar cycle if there are no airbenders (or a missing bending group). Let say Aang never had kids and eventually dies. We get a life time of water, earth and fire Avatar's respectively, now once we get back to airbending avatar, what happens to the cycle when there are none? Does it skip and go to water again?

Could it be the possible reason he went with Pemma, instead of the earth bending Lin who could have conceived kids that could earthbend instead and face a future having to be a future breeder of the airbenders or possibly Lin didn't want to have kids.**

. . . Not going to argue with you there. She only seems to have trained her lesbian waterbending daughter and that's it.

I always thought Toph being a shitty single mother seemed appropriate, where the only good "trait" she seemed to pass down/teach them was her unique earthbending skills.

You have a woman, who is blind, illiterate (and exists in a world without braille) and probably can't write. Also existing in a world without sex ed (and ran away from home before her teen years), she was probably going to get accidentally knocked up by a stranger anyway.

Aren't most youth that break the law from families of single mothers?

The only possible clusterfuck in this is that Toph's earthbending skills have shown her to act like a living lie detector, which should allow her to know what a possible sexual partner intentions would be. Like committing to a relationship or being a one night stand and running the next day.

>Sokka and Suki as couple
Never mentioned by you and never mentioned together in Korra either, unless you count Sokka's lonesome season 1 cameo. And unlike a boomerang, Suki didn't return. WHY DIDN'T THEY RETURN BRYKE, WHY!?

Bryke definitely have daddy issues, it's just less obvious in the original show.

There's also the points of letting them have nothing holding them back from traveling the world and overall having warrants for them to hang around the Avatar.

LOK failed at these. Sure, Mako with Bolin were orphans and Asami's father went to jail, but the trio were all settled in Republic City and so the show kept pulling out excuses to have them follow around Korra (complete with Mako swapping jobs).

I see plenty to get a backlash against the Avatar.

I thought I recalled some mention of Lin not wanting kids at some point. I also assumed that Pema being a nonbender was an unspoken, but implied factor that and she was just hungrier for Tenzin's cock than Lin was on her best days. Pema knew how to get what she wanted, you could tell.

One of them had a huge rant about Man of Steel that basically was just airing his daddy issues. Which just proves that people who like MoS have seriously problems and should seek help

That just leads right into the Cold War style Avatar generation, where everyone is a bending spy. It'll be awesome.

Well..was saving that for the 4th series. 3rd should be dealing with the shit Korra messed up and dealing with remnants of both Earth Empire and Equalists..and then some messed experiments with Super and Artificial benders.

Something of note, one of the later seasons of Korra had airbenders pretty much popping up like X-Men mutants. Basically, if they did go extinct more would show up sooner or later, and they'd have to work the whole thing out themselves.

That was literally the plot of Korra, though. Or at least, it was intended to be the plot of Korra, but they wrote it so badly that it ended up the shitfest we all know and hate.

I did have an idea of the next Avatar series being about an Avatar gone evil - say, the whole thing with Vaatu growing inside them is somehow sped up via evil cult shenanigans, Vaatu overpowers Raava and corrupts the Avatar. Our heroes:

An Earthbender guy who is the smart, calm and collected badass of the group.

A Waterbender girl who is the friendly and feminine hot chick of the group.

An Airbender guy who is the funny and cheerful doofus of the group.

A Firebender girl who is basically a raging bitch on the outside with a secret heart of gold.

Naw, I'd go Cold War so that the Avatar after that can go to SPACE.

That was caused by spiritual shit due to the reopening of the spirit realm portals allowing a whole bunch of non-benders airbending abilities. That no one saw coming. Apart from Zaher

And besides that didn't happen when Aang was frozen in the iceberg for a 100 years.

Here's another good idea. Anyone remember that old Giant Robo OVA? Why not pull that kind of setting for the third series.

Honestly I imagine he just had that very stupid reasoning of
If he did he wouldn't be the first to do so and will not be the last to make that same mistake.

The only good thing to come out of Korra is the R34.

Bryke is two people, user.

Both are faggots; one is slightly less SJW-y than the other, but both are faggots nonetheless.

Which one? Both seem to embrace equal amounts of faggotry.

It was Bryan who was/is the bigger cocksucker.

Read the text at the pic on the left and you can tell which one is more unashamed of virtue signalling.

That's all I've got. I think it be interesting to have an Avatar who was an anti-hero or a bit more morally grey.

What did he say?

MoS was good though.

Eh…I kinda liked the idea that the Earth Avatar is a Private Detective, ala City Hunter…he goes around acting like a buffoon, making folks underestimate him and all.

Stop watching anime.

Because that`s how reality works you faggot, remarkable people often lack on other areas of their lives, also this trope of "they were heroes and great leaders, but bad parents" is not uncommon gives easy to identify conflict for the audience

Then there is this nigger , the show doesn`t make it a good thing, rather a necessary evil and how their only choice is to cope with the fact and try to understand where their parents were coming from, kill yourself

If you got butthurt because you idealistic figures from LoA weren`t the perfect beings you wanted, then go watch moeshit and discuss about it on /a/

Cultural Marxism does make a lot of cuckolds so it may be slightly related instead of directly related.

Reminder that Konietzko had some talk where he went on about FATHERS (not both parents, fathers) standing in for some force that "holds you down."

When you consider the direction of Avatar after TLA ended, this clicks. See how the comics whitewashed Ursa and Toph's mom.

Explain to me the aristocracies of the past then.

Hello guys, what'cha working on next?

Funnily enough, the Soviet government cracked down on fags.

Yeah, that's the rant where he talks about Man of Steel being such a good exploration of fathers or some shit… this is why when I'm aware that I'm fucking in the head for a while, I just stop writing. Nothing good will come of it.

They're leftists. Leftists have some weird thing about their parents. I don't know if its the "fuck you dad" politics or not but there just seems to be a consistent lack of familial affection.

Yeah, because they were so fucking right wing when they did good stuff. Seriously, that's retarded.

It's more likely something specific happened with his father, or a midlife crisis. It remains to be seen if he recovers from it, but there do seem to be issues in his life that effected the writing, much like how Loeb was a pretty decent writer before his son died. Life changes can really fuck a person's work up.

I was talking in general, guy. Think about the last time any character had a good father that didnt die in comics/cartoons/anything. It's a trend i've noticed among the majority left wing creative types. Daddy issues.

Then you're basically saying the vast majority of media FOR CENTURIES is left wing. Dead parents, especially fathers are easy set ups. Look at the Star Trek reboot. How do we change up Kirk? Kill his dad. What made Batman and Superman? Dead parents. How many Disney Princesses have living parents? … it's more than one, right? Or is it?

It's not a "trend you noticed" it's the set up to nearly every hero's journey ever.

He never did good stuff, Bryke is the Georgle Lucas of cartoons.

It's one thing to have parents or parental figures die or otherwise be incapacitated. It's another to make so many fathers or father figures in your sequels villains or otherwise get put in a worse light compared to the mothers or mother figures. The maybe exception that pops up is Tenzin, and he shills Korra.

You latched on to the dead dad part and not the "fuck you dad" part of my point. Don't be mad because someone pointed out something bad about leftism. I stick by my point. Modern writers have a problem with never writing non shitty parents.

It is a lot easier at the end of the day to write the familiar soap opera drama than to show a functional family that has its issues but works through them like everybody else and make it interesting/entertaining.

Korra's biggest sin isn't the social justice shit; they only turned to that really after they were already flailing for an audience. Its biggest sin is it never needed to be made in the first place and had no real reason to exist beyond "people want more Avatar!"

Convinces me more than anything that the creators were just HACK FRAUDS who got lucky with the first show or had their vision interfered with by the right people.

Wow. These guys pretty much had one good idea between them in the tank, huh?

At least the Geniuses thing, if they really go hard with the "art as superpowers" theme and give characters some really cool clashing styles like one guy is Futurism-inspired and makes death machines that are all crazy angles and whatever, idk, it has some potential (calling your heroes 'geniuses' is pretty wanky though and yes I know what the old meaning of the word is).

That Threadworlds thing just sounds like some shitty Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting they would have come up with in the mid-80s with its LOL RELIGION, TECHNOLOGY VS NATURE, FEMININE POWER horseshit. I'm so fucking tired of this Fern Gully meets Steampunk horseshit people can't seem to get enough of.

They more or less directly said that they made Korra to make more Avatar so that the last thing people thought about wasn't the movie. So I got the feeling once they knew just how much of a trainwreck M. Night was making (which was probably apparent to them on day one), they rushed to make Korra, fearing that all hype would be lost. So there they are, desperately rushing to make new content because they fear the whole audience will leave due to the movie, one of them is probably dealing with a midlife crisis or just father issues, and they have to do all this in 13 episodes (as they didn't know they'd get the other season til later).

So, yeah, it was a fucking mess most of the time. They needed at least a year more for planning and reflecting on what people actually did love about the original show, and to actually know how many episodes they'd get.

because it has been

That's indeed the case. Aaron Ehasz in particular was who pushed for Toph being a girl and really the man who spearheaded Zuko's character.

that was so cute and genuine and bisexual, it was like they were made for each other.
Tuki, make it happen, Bryke!

Try again, junior. I'm not right wing.

Quality response famola.

their society was unraveling. they needed to turn a few things back

i see this going in another possible direction, like that maybe other telekenetic/reality-warping abilities are developed or discovered through technological and scientific enhancement of traditional bending abilities. genetic engineering could also play a role, like that maybe bending has some basis in genetics. there could also be some form of spiritual technology

basically, spiritual power is harnessed, advanced and manipulated with technology and reduced to a science.

basically take the concept of midichlorians as an explanation for superpowers, and extrapolate every facet of it.
the avatar universe wouldn't suffer from this like star wars did, because the force was mysterious and not explained very well, whereas in avatar we have characters literally traveling to spirit dimensions and directly interacting with spirits and such.

there could also be a plot about humans invading the spirit realm and trying to conquer it. it would be a technology vs traditionalism thing.

also i would like to see this take place in a space travel age, like a couple hundred years after where we are right now. it would be cool if it focused on both sides and didn't portray one side as good or evil, like gundam.

to make that concept work better, one side could start a war out of fear of the other side being a threat, and then both sides keep going because the fear feeds into itself. the avatars role in this could be bringing understanding to both sides, and making them understand that if they just stopped, the needless killing is happening because both sides are retarded and scares, and they can peacefully coexist and jsut leave each other the fuck alone. a huge problem with that though, it would be super easy to turn it into a shitty multiculturalism metaphor. if someone has a good idea for a technicality to prevent that, i want to hear it.

See

Or…one human decided to unleashed some very primal forces from the Spirit World..basically, an Elder God. And he uses his own creations (Artificial Benders and Super Benders) to distract everyone while he tries to release it.

See

Sounds cool.

Get Protoman to do the music, and boom. Free money.

And we get to see horrid abominations of the scientific world vs horrid abominations of the spirit world?

Yes..consider what would happen when the artificial benders went up against benders corrupted by Spirit Eldritch Horror..and the Avatar had to stop said Horror's "Avatar", an amalgam of Science and Spirit Abomination. Basically a 3 way battle and such.

Why? That's not the kind of music that would mesh well with the Avatar universe

So..what would be best? Some mix between Eastern flutes with some 1920's jazz?

Something that fits the Avatar universe.

Well…that's..not much to go on.

You know in the original show, it was mostly oriental which fit the respective setting in the show. (Example: Fire Nation is more traditional Japanese sounding, Air Nomads sound more Tibetan-Buddhism.) Something that'd fit the lore and is genuinely interesting and unique. Not 1920s Jazz with some Asian flute playing.
More evidence that Aaron Ehasz was the real genius of the original show since he was probably the main voice in the show's production as well.

Yeah..I'm not really musically inclined.

Kill youself

They should have had a longer gap between TLA and LOK. That way, all the Gaang would be dead and the technology wouldn't come off as ao ridiculous.

Stop it
stop being a faggot.