LEFTIST JOURNALISTS CLAIM TRUMP'S STANCE ON TRADE IS RACIST AND XENOPHOBIC

LEFTIST JOURNALISTS CLAIM TRUMP'S STANCE ON TRADE IS RACIST AND XENOPHOBIC

J. Bradford DeLong, a former Clinton Administration official turned aggressive neoliberal blogger, once gave a nasty rebuke to those who lament the consequences of free trade on American workers. DeLong, like many of his peers in the media world, insists that by complaining about poverty among out-of-work Americans, we must necessarily be wishing that the Chinese had not experienced the benefits of outsourcing. He asked:

DeLong’s reasoning was echoed by several attacks on Bernie Sanders by liberal journalists. In Slate, Jordan Weissmann said Sanders was telling Vietnamese seamstresses that he wanted them to remain impoverished. At Vox.com, Zach Beauchamp said Sanders’ skepticism of trade means trying to help Americans while “screwing over the global poor.”

So this the phase we are in. One in which media commentators (raised in affluence and currently enjoying at least middle class incomes—who are thus, according to their own moral calculus, very economically privileged) tell Americans devastated by the collapse of the uneducated labor market that their poverty, marginalization, and hopelessness is Actually Good, because people in Bangladesh can now move from absolutely abject poverty to slightly-less-abject poverty. That is, provided the sweatshop where they work doesn’t collapse on them. And provided they are willing to endure a nightmare of nonexistent labor power, terrible health and safety standards, total impunity for their bosses, and for the women, an atmosphere of near-constant sexual threat and exploitation.

The first thing to say is that DeLong is offering a transparently bogus choice. “Help poor people in Bangladesh” or “help poor people in Yuma” is a false binary. Yes, as the working class in America have suffered, the incomes of some of the poorest people in the world have risen. But do you know who else have seen their incomes rise? The world’s wealthiest, by vast margins. Pretending that globalization is a simple matter of siphoning from the poor-but-less-poor to the more-poor is a willful deception. It completely ignores the vast explosion in the income and wealth of those at the top. If you want to know where we can get the money to help poor people in China and India and Mexico, we know where to look: the upper half of the global income distribution diagram.

But suppose you’re a journalist, writer, or academic who really does think that outsourcing is the only way to help the world’s poorest. Isn’t your own moral path then clear? Shouldn’t you be outsourcing your own job to people from the poorest parts of the earth? There are many talented and ambitious writers and scholars in China, India, Pakistan, Nigeria. If you make, say, $80K a year as a pundit, isn’t your moral duty to work with your employer to outsource your work to a poorer country? Punditry, after all, is very easy to conduct via telecommunications, unlike being a waiter, an orchard worker, or a yoga instructor. And isn’t it very possible that you could get at least a large majority of the value of your work from a team of people in India at a fraction of the cost, while providing all of them with wages far higher than the median income of their home country? You could have your employer pay five Indian writers $10K/year to replicate what you provide for the company. The Indian writers would make better than six times the Indian median annual income. And your employer gets to pocket that extra $30K—which, after all, is why outsourcing actually exists, to improve profits. Everyone wins! Well, not you. But this is precisely the bargain that you think America’s uneducated labor force should make. It is, in fact, a condition that you have loudly argued is morally necessary. Yet to the best of my knowledge, not a single neoliberal wonk has fallen on his or her sword and given up their job to a worker in the developing world, nobly sacrificing their own economic good for that of several other people, and accepting a life of poverty, despair, and opiate addiction in the devastated post-industrial landscapes of modern America. It seems that the morality of outsourcing only applies to other people, and not the kind of people who live in the tony precincts of post-collegiate cosmopolitanism. Funny about that.

archive.is/SqpKv

How can trade be racist and xenophobic?

Lefties are becoming shills for international capitalists and the 1%, fucking hilarious. They are so easy to control, unthinking MORONS

bump

The lack of self-awareness is staggering. Love the RATM-heads all the talking about sticking it to the man, when they are the working for the fucking man - shitting on independence, freedom, and autonomy.

And in unrelated news leftists are found to indulge in cuckoldry and wife sharing. I'm sure there isn't any correlation at all!

I love that this angle is becoming their only argument. It's so ridiculous even the normies are waking up to it.

The retarded thing is doesn't matter if the Chinese are poor if they they can still put rice on the table at lower local prices. Its racist if I don't care if more Chinese can own iPads? I don't even think we should be able to so easily afford iPads at the expense of American workers

Accidentally saged

I hate those fucks but I love the benefits of being in a guild.

This just in:

everything Trump says is racist and xenophobic and mean and dumb and stupid.

They also claim

TRUMP'S LUNCH IS RACIST AND XENOPHOBIC

J. Bradford DeLong, a former Clinton Administration official turned aggressive neoliberal blogger, once gave a nasty rebuke to those who lament the consequences of mexican meals on American bowels.

Trump is guilty of cultural appropriation and stuff!

bump

Google "delong hillary clinton treasury", something like that, and you'll find delong saying clinton must never get anywhere near the oval office

The best Mexican food isn't made by Mexican, this is a known fact.
"Mexican" food comes from Europe anyways.

lmao at crying about the world's poor. fucking faggots. go watch bambi queer

I see they haven't given up hope yet in calling everything racist.