Turn off location services? Go ahead, says Google, we'll still track you

It's not clear why Google would insist on its app store having constant access to your location, but the company is very determined about it. Following reports earlier this year that the Google Play app was interfering with other apps' ability to use GPS, Google has updated the software and now makes it impossible to fully turn off location tracking.

The same is true of Google Maps. In effect, if you use either of Google's two most popular apps – which come pre-loaded with Google's flavor of Android – the company has permanent access to your location.

theregister.co.uk/2016/09/12/turn_off_location_services_go_ahead_says_google_well_still_track_you/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page
pyra-handheld.com/
gnu.org/distros/free-non-gnu-distros.html
github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/1073#issuecomment-166172290
schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/02/samsung_televis.html
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-using-people-s-phones-to-listen-in-on-what-they-re-saying-claims-professor-a7057526.html
theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/13/smart-barbie-that-can-listen-to-your-kids-privacy-fears-mattel
bbc.com/news/technology-31296188
techdirt.com/articles/20160512/07213934423/fbi-response-to-foia-request-about-whether-it-is-hacking-your-amazon-echo.shtml
tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-awareness/siri-privacy/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

If you're using a smartphone, your carrier and probably your government will have your location at their disposal anyway.

so what's that got to do with google?

Wait.
Why would you have GPS turned on at all times in the first place? If you do, then why is this an issue? If it just ignored the system settings well that's something, but it's just doing its thing in this case. Out of the thousands of legitimate reasons to bash Google's anti-privacy practices, you've picked none of them.

Nothing. Just posted that as a reminder that Google isn't the only douche in the party, and removing the play store won't do jack shit if privacy and security are a real concern.

Cyanogenmod with just f-droid, same reason as you. I haven't got any reactions like yours yet, but it'd be amusing when it happens.

This, carriers regularly sell your location data to other companies.

They don't hide this shit, either, I keep location off all the time, and one day I see on my phone, "6 minutes to work", I never asked for such a feature.

Why does it matter if someone knows where you are?
Are you a criminal? xD

Because Google is big brother.

is it possible to make androids stallman approved? i already have a tracfone, and i basically just want a very small computer i can take with me in my pocket

It would be really nice to have a cheap smartphone you can build yourself. I've often thought about creating an app to scan barcodes to see where the product was made and by who and all that. But I'm not going to drop ~$100 for that.

It's possible to get FOSS everything minus the baseband firmware for some of them.

There's that Raspberry Pi based one that some guy made, but you're never going to compete neither overall price wise or performance/price wise with the cheap shit the Chinese can put out.

Replicant is an Android ROM with all proprietary software stripped out. It runs on only a few devices. Stallman recommends against cell phones in general, though, because the cellular system can be used to track you no matter how libre the things you run are.

Your best option is to get OmniROM or Cyanogenmod and strip out everything Google and as many other proprietary apps as you can find. Then install F-Droid.

Is there a guide to building that pseudo-smartphone?

What a faggot

How do you remove Google Play?
It seems like all I can do it "disable" it. And I just got a google play update notification despite that.
Was disabling it enough or do I need to find some crazy way of deleting it?

Titanium Backup can't uninstall it?

Didn't even know that existed. this is my first smart phone and I got it a week ago
I'll try it.

rpi or similar
4G dongle
touchscreen
battery
VOIP company that allows softphone use

use your softphone over 4G on your rpi.

Does Cyanogenmod come with the Play Services Framework or whatever now? I got my phone a few versions of Android ago, and I remember you had to go out of your way to get GAPPS when you installed Cyanogenmod.

wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Main_Page

Same. I have a nexus 6p and what really pisses me off is that if google app doesn't have all permissions (including gps and body sensors) it won't take a picture. I open the camera app, it works for 2 seconds then shuts down saying my phone "needs" to track my position to take a picture. The rare occasion I need to take a picture and fumble to go into the settings to enable all their faggoty permissions people ask my why it takes so long to snap a photo. Every time I try to explain it they act like I'm Dale Gribble.

It actually seems like I'm fucked because I have a Blackberry Priv, and they've supposedly made it impossible to gain root access.
Fuck me for wanting a physical keyboard I guess.

Dale Gribble is right about so much stuff. They bury it in the wackiness, though.

My Nexus 6 takes a photo with those permissions all restricted, so I'm not sure why yours isn't working.

I recently got the feeling Google is also using Microsoft methods to get people to use their stuff.

I was using MAPS.ME with openstreetmaps as an alternative to google maps. Mostly because it could store offline maps on the SD and didn't need internet for calculating routes.

But then out of the blue I got the message that "due to recent changes in android" they had to move the maps to my internal storage, just like google maps does. Of course that shit happened the day I needed it, so I arrived late because of these assholes.

I don't know what these supposed updates/changes were, because I had refused that sudden update Google pushed after 2 years of problemless functioning. Apparently that was the right choice, although the old routeplanner still wrongly assumed I did. Luckily I found another one (Navigator) that still didn't make assumptions and allowed me use the SD. I won't be updating that one from now on, just to be safe.

I'll get one of those stand alone routeplanners/tomtoms before I'll ever use google maps. Gimping the competition with Android "updates" won't help them.

You know you can install most free phone OSs onto that model, right? It supports both free Android forks and GNU/Linux for phones. Hell, I'm pretty sure it supports MemefoxOS too. Why are you using stock android?

The only real way to "remove" it I think is to install a version of android that doesn't have GAPPS already installed in them. On stock android,you can't disable or force stop play services.

Same with my 5x. maybe Nougat had a mandatory location tracking requirements.

You might want to take a look at the Dragonbox Pyra:
pyra-handheld.com/
It's much more of a computer than any "smart"phone will ever be.

gnu.org/distros/free-non-gnu-distros.html
Install Replicant.

dumbphone masterrace

It's ok. As long as you do goyim stuff on a goyim device it's pretty alright.

Trying to make android a mobile version of gentoo is retarded, because mobile phones are the definition of surveillance candy, no matter how old they are.

I have an iPhone and I use all the goyim apps to communicate with other normies. To stop anyone possibly snooping on you would mean to stop using mobile phones altogether, which is pretty much a no/go and luddite way.

My dumbphone is what I carry around and actually use as a phone.
My smartphone stays at home as a supplement to my PC.

It's a quick way to search for something when I don't want to disturb my eldritch horror of a tab tree.
It's nice for checking all my chat programs at a glance.
I can keep it under my main monitor for watching videos while working or viewing images spammed to me by friends more conveniently.
If I want to tinker with my computer I'm able to keep in contact with people.
And on top of all that, with some prepaid data I can stay connected if my internet goes out.

They're pretty sweet as a stay at home supplement.

Oh no, a tracking device that doesn't move anywhere.

It's a box that you don't manage that you let onto your home network. It's also outfitted with a large array of sensors including electromagnetic sensors that can derive a lot of intel about you, your schedule, the other devices in your home.

Are you fucking autistic? What the fuck are they going to know about me?

I don't have time to list all of the possibilities. If you're fine with it then okay, enjoy

when you wake up
when you sleep
how long you spend on the computer
what hours you're most likely to be home
how many other people visit you and how often
how big your home is and where it is
your general state of health
whatever private matters you care to discuss in your home
what information is transmitted over your network

information is power and the more you let someone spy on you, the more power and control they have over you

You have to be kind of retarded not to understand this

Maps dot me is fine as long as you don't care about your start and endpoints of the route being sent to a .ru server in cleartext.

github.com/mapsme/omim/issues/1073#issuecomment-166172290

Volunteering this stuff would have sounded outrageous a decade ago, just imagine how things will progress in another ten. Corporations are determining the definitions of privacy and if you're not letting one keep track of your heart rate, you're the odd one out.

this right here. just do some plain installing, then f-droid and you're good.

Where?

This I understand. And while this stuff bothers me, how exactly are they going to use this information in a way that affects me?
I don't think any serial killers have this information in reach.
If I were doing something where I knew the government would come after me I wouldn't have this in the first place.
If something sudden happened where I feel they may look for me, I just know not to be a retard and instead constantly vary the order in which I do things. But you you're already supposed to do that when you're trying to evade someone.
Do you have a good example where this is actually dangerous?
I don't meant to imply you should only care about security if it will effect you, I'm just curious

This I don't.
How would they be finding this information and with only my phone?

This only partially.
Outside of what I say on the phone itself, how do they peer at other traffic or somehow know what I say verbally in my house?

And, in general, can you prove any of this?
I know google likes seeing what you do on the phone and your location, but has anyone determined they collect even half of what you're listing?
For as much as people care about this stuff I imagine someone is doing the research.

fuck off cuck. people have been not using mobile phones since the beginning of time, and surprisingly to you, the last 4 decades

microphone

s/new news/no news

Where did I say that?

I asked if there is evidence of it actually happening. Like that guy who was able to see what Windows 10 was sending off to Microsoft from his computer.
Should you not be able to somehow analyze what is being zipped off from your phone?
Even if it would be elaborate I'd think that someone somewhere has the resources and cares enough to do it. I just want to know.

"Our smartphones and computers, of course, listen to us when we're making audio and video calls. But the microphones are always there, and there are ways a hacker, government, or clever company can turn those microphones on without our knowledge"

schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/02/samsung_televis.html

Even if not all smartphones are listening all the time, things are trending toward that direction.

Facebook app
independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/facebook-using-people-s-phones-to-listen-in-on-what-they-re-saying-claims-professor-a7057526.html

Barbie Doll
theguardian.com/technology/2015/mar/13/smart-barbie-that-can-listen-to-your-kids-privacy-fears-mattel

Smart TV
bbc.com/news/technology-31296188

Amazon Echo
techdirt.com/articles/20160512/07213934423/fbi-response-to-foia-request-about-whether-it-is-hacking-your-amazon-echo.shtml

Siri and others
tripwire.com/state-of-security/security-awareness/siri-privacy/

As any Facebook user knows, companies routinely enable more invasive "features" by default.

Without control over the software that runs on your device, you're living under the thumb of the manufacturer or service provider.

The question is if you really trust them.

can't you just disable the chip?

I like the idea of this thing, but why aren't there hard switches to cut power to the different wireless chipsets?

What triggers me with Cyanogenmod is that it has all these features that I don't need. How fucking hard is it to have a well supported ROM of pure Stock Android that delivers updates on regular basis and supports all of firmware in device.

I'm not going to use some ROM from random person that is going to discontinue the project after 1 year.

I love Android, but this shit is really getting on my nerves.

What if I disable all google processes?

talk-in-person ubermensch

i've bashed the pyra in the past when anons have posted it but honestly i've grown excited about it (at least, the non-lte model). it's basically a mobile computing device, like a ti-83 but much more powerful, many more capabilities. i started coding ti-basic on one of those clear ti-83's, tbh this pyra is a bit nostalgic for me.

so what are my cellphone options for 2016?
I've got a locked down s5 atm. How secure can I get? Most alt mobile os's have no support or carriers. It seems like the only safe bet for a new rootable phone is whatever the new nexus is. Is there anything else I can do besides root it and remove google play?

Just make the leap user. Android is shit because there are a million 'buts' about it.

Get a hot spot, keep it in a RF chastity cage until you are ready to use it. Connect to it via USB with a device like the Pyra and use a VoIP client.