How can we genuinely challenge the power of big data collection systems without the resources to counter-collect...

How can we genuinely challenge the power of big data collection systems without the resources to counter-collect against them (if that is even effect)? What hope is there for the general public when confronted by data mining daily that has gone on for the past 15-20 years now? Information is what gives entities the ability to make decisions at the rest of our expense. It gives them the ability to maintain the power they already have and undermine efforts to challenge it. We've known about some of this shit for 10 years and we still have no laws to do something as basic as protect people from hiring discrimination based on potential health insurance liability. Is there anything left anyone can do to face down the tyranny of big data?

They know things; we don't.

Other urls found in this thread:

buzzfeed.com/williamalden/inside-palantir-silicon-valleys-most-secretive-company
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography
youtube.com/watch?v=WZrKIBYLdHQ
videos.rennes.inria.fr/Workshop-GNUHackersMeetings2016/index-WorkshopGNU2016.html
videos.rennes.inria.fr/Workshop-GNUHackersMeetings2016/expose-GNUJeffBurdges19aout2016.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Naive guess: somehow generate so much worthless noise data that the relevant data is indistinguishable.

I'm pretty sure that internet itself have been created in the mind set of being able to gather all the information from every one without needing to move a finger (maybe not at the total start, but quickly after understanding the scale such a tech could access).

Big data IS (from my point of view) the ultimate goal of the internet. Surveillance is the ultimate goal of the internet. Everything related to internet is builded with surveillance and data collection in its mind since a long time now.

SO: how to beat this without touching to the essence of internet itself? We can't. The single way to change the way internet is builded is... To destroy it.
Because since surveillance is at the heart of everything, we can't change anything without having to to rebuild everything with the idea of security and privacy going first. Internet have always been a public network. If you want to build it with privacy in its mind, you have to change everything.
I know that people will say that it's still possible to be secured, access anonymity... Just please. Backdoor and exploit are fucking everywhere, from software to the hardware level. And I'm pretty sure that encryption is simply a none-issue for them. You can be anonymous from your local police, from little hackers, but from super power like intelligence agency... Not even possible.

I really think that this schema of purposing a "revolutionary" service who bring great innovation, freedom, ease of use and then slowly applying the real objectif is so used everywhere that you even can apply it to the internet itself. (example: youtube with copyright and surveillance, google with massive internet control and surveillance, facebook with even more massive surveillance, camera surveillance who spy on the honest citizen, every law who restrain our liberty behind "protecting us" or "allowing us to be more free... by giving up more freedom" etc..)

We ofc can build a better network (network, not internet) with respect of the human being, but I'm pretty sure that we cannot change the internet to go that way. We can use the internet to our cause and interest, like using the weapon of an ennemy, but you cannot change its nature.
Maybe the solution is in mesh network, but without free hardware, it's not even possible yet.

If you want to know more about massive big data analysis, get interested in palantir.
buzzfeed.com/williamalden/inside-palantir-silicon-valleys-most-secretive-company

Simply get out of your head the misconception of "there are doing analysis on every one, it's not targeted toward individual". "I'm just one in million". That's horribly false. People are working very hard since a long time to make this false.

The internet was created in a different age that was so much more innocent than the one we live in. "Security" was not a concern, it wasn't even a consideration, because from the start they only wanted to connect known clients together. Even after it went "public" and made it's way into universities, everybody continued to share that same innocent mindset. Why even consider protecting your client from other clients? The whole POINT was to communicate and share information.

They used to publish address books listing the real names, phone numbers, and email addresses of every user on the net.

Don't have children. End the cycle.

Take down electricity infrastructure, point 1 of pic related. The yankee-doodle empire (and associated internet collection services) all run on the magic bees inside cables

that's already been happening with multiple sets of data originating from different people, no?

lel

Just show me any tech, just any who wasn't at first conceived to be a weapon. Internet comes from the military. You're talking about the official history about it; about how it's just for scientist etc... Can you seriously think that the US government and DARPA would just give up such an amazing technology free, without question, for the "greater good"?
I know that things are more complicated than that, but you'll never make believe that such a tech is just a "honest gift" from darpa. It's like thinking that the CIA is working for the interest of the american people.
Generally, technologies which drop into the "public domain" are technologies already used in a big war, or technologies which are useless. Internet is none of that.
From my point of view, they developed internet and gived it to the people to be able to spy massively on them, on foreign countries and to have a strong network for their personal use.

Internet don't belong to everyone. Internet belongs to them. We pay to be connected to their network.

everybody just keep shitposting and everything will be fine

That image is such bullshit

Can you explain what is actually bullshit than just saying "lol I know so much than you I saw where is a problem but I'll not dare explain what it is to show my true superioriy"...
Moreover, it's not the subject. Don't redirect the thread into an impasse.

Yeah, they totally let universities in on it to spy on them. Even though DPI with the technology available back then would have been completely impractical and all the information that they could collect would be just as easily available directly from the university without doing anything that would completely destroy trust between universities and the government if it was ever found out.

I stopped reading there. Do people actually believe that shit? That's seriously teenage fan fiction level fantasy.

Certain portions are plausible. For example, look at how many Police failed to report for work after Katrina. If the power was off for a week then you might expect mass looting and civil unrest (riots). Think the movie "The Purge". Anyway, I am always amazed at the arrogance of the "it can't happen here" mentality. When it does, and you are shitting yourself in terror, I'll be the bump in the night, hungry like the wolf.

The human brain doesn't just accept digitized voice data, decode and then accept that data. There are specific firing patterns that must be known and encoded for, patters that we still don't understand, much less in the seventies.

Then don't fucking post it, you assclown.

there's no hope for them if they don't care about living under surveillance in the first place.
when you learn about the dangers and alternatives from gurus like Stallman you stand a chance to form a more informed opinion and take action.

Hypnotic suggestion requires a willingness from the participant, this would never work.

This: . There is no hope for people who don't care. Given most of the general public's views on data mining by the government and large corporations, you might as well be asking what the best weapon to defend against an attacker would be for someone who doesn't care to carry a weapon. For people who do care your only hope is to try to avoid the data mining whenever possible and raise awareness and get others to actually care.

You're entire post can be summed up as "let's stop using communications networks because someone might hear us." The solution isn't to dump all communications networks and plunge the earth back into darkness, faggot, then people are more easily isolated and controlled. You migrate to more secure protocols, encryption, and anonymizing networks: utilizing the benefits of having a worldwide communications network and ever-expanding library at your fingertips without giving the data miners what they crave.

Did you even look at the image?

This is a separate thing from the hypnotic suggestion to which you refer.
What you're referring to is
What that image describes is

Not that I'm saying whether what described in that image would legitimately WORK or not, just saying that if it is real, it does in fact NOT require any willingness from the participant because it is a separate thing entirely from the normal definition of "hypnotic suggestion".

Like said

If we have a continuous transmission of highly, highly encrypted data, which is nothing but randomly generated noise, with maybe some actual data in there which is meaningless (wikipedia articles, random words, things that ARE patterns, but not ultimately truly data which is intended to be communicated)

And then when you want to actually transmit something, you just drop that data in place of the next junk to be transmitted

I forget what it's called, but there is an implementation of this already in existence

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwave_auditory_effect

It does not go into the brain at all it causes the bones in your ear to rapidly heat and cool causing apparent sounds

Rebuilding infrastructure makes no sense when you can just write a new protocol layer to go on top of the existing tech. That's what all current solutions do.

The problems with the net in general have nothing do do with the infrastructure as much as they have to do with individuals and organizations hell bent on watching you. I remember years ago noscript had to change to accommodate the fact that some websites refused to work properly unless ads were loaded.

Also encryption is the ONLY way to actually anonymize yourself unless you think trusting other parties is a good idea. There is good evidence to suggest that they can break most encryption that is breakable with quantum computing but en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-quantum_cryptography is a thing.

please watch this to understand how hard it is to build exploit free software youtube.com/watch?v=WZrKIBYLdHQ

To use GnuNet

Last GHM conference
videos.rennes.inria.fr/Workshop-GNUHackersMeetings2016/index-WorkshopGNU2016.html

you will like this then (part4 of the ghm)

videos.rennes.inria.fr/Workshop-GNUHackersMeetings2016/expose-GNUJeffBurdges19aout2016.mp4

I'm not a mathematician, so i have no way of going about proving this, but it would seem that there is no way to get past needing a trusted third party or some outside channel for doing the initial handshake in anonymity networks. Even if you can build on an initial contact and "ratchet" that forward it doesn't seem like there is a good way to establish that contact outright. This of course would not matter if you did not care about verifiable identity and private messages.

essentially identity cannot exist without trust/ a trusted party

so whether it's just a place to exchange contact info or some third party identity verifier you need something outside to establish identity for private/identity based communication

You're right. Maybe am I falling for the "everything is doomed". Maybe we can do it.
Moreover, you're right for the quantum encryption. I'm just afraid that they are always one step ahead (I mean they'll release this tech into the wild only after finding something who counter it) even if in reality is never that simple.
But first we need free hardware.
Without free hardware... It's gonna be hopeless.
And not free hardware sponsored by google or any giant company. Maybe the x200 is the solution.
I think that we still can hope for true freedom. But it will
needs a lot of works from us.
Even if we can't access to real freedom, fighting for it is still a valuable goal.
Even if I'm not really sure. I kept telling me that being strong in tech, being some sort of "ghost" is only some sort of movies stereotype. That it does not exist in the real world. The power in presence - the differents intel agency - are too much strong for just us, some random guy working from their garage. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know.

We need alternative networks. Make your own networks, sneakernet, meshnet.

Not only your English sucks dicks but also, oh my, what a bunch of stupid misconceptions and opinions. I won't lose my time much but one thing in particular needs being pointed out.

Unlike your opinion, which is just that, your stupid, irrelevant opinion, maths is not an opinion but a very precise science. Learn something vital: encryption, when properly employed, works. It has always worked, it works today and it will always work. Educate yourself and don't die ignorant, build up something more than "opinions".

1. Consider whether we ought to stop helping our enemies for money in our day jobs.
2. Fight back in any way that we can think of.
3. Good luck!

In my opinion, technology may soon be a lost cause. They could severely clamp down on it if they wanted to. The real fight is happening in real life, and technology is just one tool, albeit a powerful one.

I can't say or guess whether setting up alternative networks would help or not, or how effective they'd be. Keep in mind that without large adoption they would likely not be very good at providing any sort of anonymity and would not be difficult to shut down if that were desired.