Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of the Linux kernel

How did you celebrate?

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/ports/hurd/
gnu.org/s/guix
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

By continuing to lament the fact that the shittiest part of Slackware is the Linux kernel itself.

What is this autism? A linux distro named after Slack?

kys Bob

When there's nothing to celebrate.

By using a windows 10 PC :^)

kill me, it hurts to live

Why aren't you using FBSD, in this case?

INANE

I get closer every year.
I just really love the way Slackware's userland works. I know it's similar in *BSD, but there is a shitton I would have to re-learn to switch to BSD. Almost every aspect of system administration has either subtle or glaring differences. I also see their drive to eliminate GNU stuff as futile and misguided. The frequent changes to major base-system components is also a turn-off. It's not like they are refining their base. They're almost re-writing it.

How usable is Hurd? Will a Hurd-based OS run Linux applications?

It boots. It might crash and the hardware support is poor.
They have to be recompiled for HURD, which is possible with most of them.

This is the best way of running it at the moment:
debian.org/ports/hurd/

You can also try installing Guix on top of that. A port to HURD of Guix as a distro is in progress, but you can already install just the package manager on top of another HURD system.
gnu.org/s/guix

Personally, I'm using Gentoo and have no problem with Linux itself. FreeBSD on laptop, though.

Go GNU/kFreeBSD lad.

Yeah, I'd rather kill myself than use anything Debian-based.
If there was a way to run Slackware on top of a BSD kernel I'd already be there.

Gentoo seems to offer it too.

Holy shit that's good to know!

Except it wasn't. August 25th was the kernel's announcement, the actual anniversary of its release isn't until September 17th.

Why?

Almost everyone uses it. Perhaps more people than Windows. Since we're talking about just the kernel here Android counts.

I used GNU+Linux to watch anime and shitpost.

I used Linux/GNU to provide a hosting environment for my current kernel pet project. Oh, and I also visited /d/.