Do you think Golden Age heroes still have potential today to entertain...

Do you think Golden Age heroes still have potential today to entertain? There have been many attempts to revive some of them over the years, like Lone Ranger and Green Hornet, but all have been met with crippling failure. Is the potential still there if they were in the right hands?

Other urls found in this thread:

swfchan.com/9/44607/?The Dignified Devil in Shirley Temple.swf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I love me some Shadow, but they would NEVER be able to do it today, or even do it right if they did. They'd either turn him into a Batman clone or a Punisher clone. Getting into psychological things is too difficult for current writers.

Hard to say, because of a lot of them are pretty dependent on the time period they're set it. For example, there's not a lot you can do with the Shadow without going beyond the core concept/setting on some level. Howard Chaykin got a lot of shit for his 80's rendition

Wasn't that the one where he put The Shadow's head on a robot body?

You forgot the 60's Shadow, when he wore a spandex superhero costume.

I think so. The problem is that very few people today are interested in being true to the characters. Everything has to be wrapped in a layer of irony, and The Green Hornet and Lone Ranger movies are a perfect example of this. They can't just tell a straight story, they have to poke fun of all the hokey elements instead of just accepting them.

They do this to Superman too. They can never accept that his glasses being his disguise or his red pants on the outside of his costume are part of his character, they've either got to come up with boring costume redesigns or else dumb explanations for why people don't know it's him when he puts a pair of glasses on

This seems like a fitting place to ask this.

Does anyone know if the new The Spirit series from Dynamite is any good? I really enjoyed the two series that DC did a few years back, and from the preview pages I read, this looks to have a similar tone.

Having read it while it was ongoing, no. It's 12 issues of a story that really could've been chopped down to 6 and the art's not great either.

Grendel v.s. Shadow was good.

I don't think The Shadow would be very interesting today but would be great in a futuristic cyberpunk type world with all sorts of technology at his disposal. A lot of these other characters though I don't think so, if Dynamite's (albeit pathetic) efforts are any indication.

Stardust reboot when?

Anytime you want. He's public domain, right?

Speaking of public domain, there are a few golden age characters that are public domain that I want to work with, and I mostly just want to give them new adventures set in the years they were published. So, yeah, I believe there is a lot of potential there.

PLEASE STARDUST NO

HAVE MERCY

Batman
Superman
Wonder Woman
Captain America
Human Torch
Sub Mariner

I'm honestly not sure.
Seems pulpy and golden age heroes have been forgotten and they're not even relavent ironically which is a shame.
Their influence is still felt however.
Batman is based on The Shadow and Zorro and then their's recent characters like Fantomex (2001 ish but still) who's based on Danger Diabolique and Fantomas.

Even if the memory dies the meme lives on

As a limited run series that could be collected in a few Trades, he'd work just fine.

The Shadow is a very classic hero that shines in street-level pulp adventures, like the Green Hornet. Trying to put him in a capeshit giant crossover universe where Gods and intergalactic warlords run around just puts him completely out of the elements that make him so good.

Those trips

fuck off

The Golden Age of Comics began with Action Comics #1, dumbfucks

Damn you Satan

every time people post stardust I try to post this

1:33 Almost missed it

Stardust being in a microscopic fraction of this video does not excuse how awful it is.

it's from one of the guys that did ugly americans

it never saw the light

Yeah, OP could have phrased things more specifically. I suppose he meant: Golden Age characters who haven't been in continual use since their inception.

I think an even better question is: What unused Golden Age character would YOU bring back, and are they public domain to allow you to do so? And if they are, have you started?

also he made the dignified devil cartoons that were on newgrounds

swfchan.com/9/44607/?The Dignified Devil in Shirley Temple.swf

unfortunately he wiped his newgrounds account so I can only find the one and I probably lost my swf of the other one in a wipe

oh fuck never mind

Wow.Goodbye December 18th, 2003Reviewed by: Franklin_Raine Overall rating: 0I just wanted to say a few words before I put an end to this nonsense.I've been monitoring this website for the last few days and have enjoyed the hoopla. Obviously, Augenblick Studios have no connection with the mysterious "Sawn". However, I appreciate his enthusiasm for our cartoons. I'm unsure why anyone would want to actively promote someone else's hard work. I assume he is either a very young child or a disturbed psychopath.Thanks to everyone who enjoyed watching our cartoons. Keep an eye on the real Augenblick Studios website for new projects.I want to give my sicere thanks to Secret Agent Bob for exposing this strange case of stolen identity.The REALAaron AugenblickAugenblick Studios

Ugly Americans was complete ass.

ok

Plenty of potential, if they're done right. Unfortunately, it's virtually guaranteed that they won't be done right.
I even gave my own Not Sexton Blake character a Chinese assistant to repel SJW criticism, for fuck's sake.
And, while not really a "pulp" character (today, anyway, he was at the time. Though the "pulp" in question was more highbrow than most), Sherlock Holmes has made a decent transition into the modern world in the BBC series, and they didn't even make Watson black! Mind you, the last episode with the "time travel" was nonsensical Moffat bullshit.

Nothing wrong with or without a Chinese assistant, but do what you feel is best for the story. I gotta ask though… is Sexton Blake not public domain? Can't you just use him if you wanted to?

The answer is yes.

As another user pointed out, plenty of our current popular characters are actually Golden Age characters. Basically all of DC's top tier characters are either Golden Age or derived directly from Golden Age characters.

In fact, now would be a great time to revisit some forgotten characters of the era. I wouldn't read a Stardust comic made in 2016, but I would read the shit out of a Fantomah comic made in 2016. Public domain characters like these would be a good way of getting around all the legal fuckery which has current characters locked up. Some Tarzan novels just passed into the public domain in the U.S. on January 1st of this year. Check out the selection sometime at pdsh.wikia.com .

insightful

I'm working with a few public domain characters. Anyone else doing the same?

I remember the /ss/ thing Holla Forums did with her

I remember I wanted to do a Black Cat thing without /ss/ (especially since Kit was only in two issues, so I never considered him that important). A sperg kept posting /ss/ and even followed me to another site when I wanted to brainstorm more ideas with an artist. He got banned from there, which is why I tend to favor tighter moderation on boards.