SO I tried to set my new WD blue HDD to be less noisy

SO I tried to set my new WD blue HDD to be less noisy..
My 8 years old WD green have this feature callled Automatic Acoustic Management, I was shocked to see new BLUE drive is not supporting it, Im sending it back tomorrow, but the question is what drives nowdays actually do support it?
searching internet gave me not much except some thread when I red that..

I really dont want HDD that is louder than my old WD10EACS green 1TB

can you please give me some recommendation?

is that AAM removal actually true?

Other urls found in this thread:

google.pl/patents/US6314473
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

SSDs

If anything build a cheap NAS with hdd and put it in the closet

It's funny this thread came up because I'm currently undoing a mistake I made wherein I installed my OS and applications to a WD Caviar Green. I'm in the process of dd'ing the contents over to a Blue drive.

Green series are meant for secondary storage (which is why they are quiet, but also low performance). I was experiencing stuttering in high-performance applications, and I could tell it was i/o which caused to me to investigate this.

You can check your BIOS and see if there are parameters for HDD noise control, but I usually set those to performance personally, since the hum of my PSU/CPU/GPU fans cover up any noise from HDDs.

You can still find Green series online, otherwise I think the only other way to get them is to pry them out of external HDD cases (which is how I have mine). But if you really want "acoustic management" get something without moving parts, i.e. a solid state drive. That should be the obvious answer.

well if anyone cares, google.pl/patents/US6314473
here is the patent

it looks like Automatic Acoustic Management is really no longer happening for some few years now...

why couldn't they just pay for right to use it is beyond me

and people say that seagate hdds are bad.

Speaking of WD Green HDDs, thank god they're no longer being made. Their overzealous power-saving policies used to cause failures due to constant head parking aging the drives prematurely.

I think WD's Green line has been merged into Blue recently.

Why bother with mechanical drives at all when 1TB of SSD is $300? Do you really need more than that today or are you just a hoarder living in digital filth?

Why even bother

1 tb isn't enough. My 3 tb is almost full

With what? What is it that you needed to have around all the time and couldn't put online?

your mom's grocery list

Maybe the monopoly holder refuses to license it. Maybe the monopoly holder wants 8 trillion dollars per license.
Just another way government issued monopolies encourage open development and sharing of ideas. God bless monopolies.

You disappoint me. Be creative.

Ass-cancer

Nah, I want to know. Ever since I stopped being a disgusting data hoarder I've had no problems staying within 1TB.

My music alone is 270GB, and I'm picky. How do you even manage with 1TB?

Why store music locally? It's much better to have it online so it can be streamed to any device. Even on fairly expensive data storage services like S3, storing that would be about $3/month and is stored durably (would your data survive a house fire or is your backup plan to hope for the best?).

mine is around 8 years old, and works just fine, but I use it as secondary storage,
the head parking feature was originally set to 8 seconds, you could easily change it to whatever you wanted or disable,
I never did on my green and it still works fine, the thing is when head is over spinning plater it generates more heat than when its parked, heat also wear hdd, plus disc is even more quiet when head is parked,

the funny thing is in this new WD BLUE there was also 8 seconds parking feature, I changed it to 60 seconds to try it out, and after changing it the head was STILL making a noise every damn 8 seconds, like it tried to park but couldn't lol, and after 60 seconds it finally parked,
and actual parking sound was sometimes like hitting tin can with a fork...

this WD BLUE was biggest hardware disappointment I ever had,

I thought about buying WD RED, but I saw reports about them starting to be noisy in recent year or two... some people say they're quiet, some are disappointed with how loud they're, it seems like a lottery to get good one

270GB of music? I assume it's FLAC but do you even listen to half of it?

I was sort of agreeing with you til now. Keeping your music online blows, you don't really own it and they can revoke access to it at anytime. Plus you always need to be online to listen, that's like needing to be online to read a book. No good. It's not like it's difficult to copy music from your PC to your phone or whatever music device you prefer.

The thing is spinning up is one of the most stressful actions an HDD can do. It places wear on both the spindle and the heads.
It's especially bad if it doesn't have a parking ramp because the heads rest on the platters' surface when stopped. Though I suppose modern HDDs use ramps now.

There's a reason HDDs also have head load/unload cycle lifetimes.

yeah use fucking FLAC and buy newest big expensive propertiary jewish HDD

Because you need to pay, your shit is subject to takedown and it depends on an Internet connection (that my Sansa doesn't have).

What does that even mean? I obviously listen to one track at a time. I use random album, so yes, I listen to everything.

You already posted your bait in a standalone thread, tard.
Lossless is for archiving, you convert to your favourite lossy codec when size is an issue.

For what purpose? Modern hard drives aren't loud at all. This seems like sheer autism really, processor fans are louder than hard drives.

At least you tried.
But I'm serious about local storage over 1TB being unnecessary for a non-professional desktop and yelling BAIT! rather than answer the questions is just avoiding addressing your own hoarding problem.
Needing more than 1TB local only becomes an issue if you don't clean up after yourself. Data hoarders only clean up their drives when they're in the red and are the same people who never have a backup solution in place so will end up losing it all when their room full of boxes and clothes on the ground catches fire. Don't be one of them.

What "archiving"? You can "archive" with opus, who stops you?

What do you do when you need to use a different lossy codec? You can't.
If you had followed this retarded idea when mp3 or mpc were the best lossy codecs, you would have to redownload everything in lossless to benefit from the vorbis or opus gains.
Or just imagine a device not supporting opus (not rare at all).

If you want to archive something for future generations, than archiving lossless version is better. If you get new "best codec" every lets say 20 years, there's gonna be some erosion. If don't plan decades ahead, than there's nothing wrong with opus.

Or at least that's the theory. Maybe we'll get perfect codec by 2050 be done with it.

Why would I? If you have something already in lossy, keep it that way. Encode only new music.

No you don't. Old files can be mp3, it's still 5 times better than FLAC, 5 times smaller at transparent quality. Only new music is to be encoded in better codecs.
Now compared to that, if one followed your retarded idea, instead of having mp3's he would have FLAC plus lossy. That's 7 times more than even mp3.

I analyzed that before deciding to use it.
Windows - check
Rockbox - check

no, you are wrong and i will show you how.
Today you have FLAC + mp3 (or just FLAC)
Today I have OPUS or mp3
in 10 years you will have FLAC + supercodec
in 10 years I will have OPUS + new music in supercodec
in 20 years you will have FLAC + extracodec
in 20 years I will have OPUS, some in supercodec, some in extracodec

This way I ALWAYS WIN. Because you always will carry fucking FLAC or FLAC2, and a copy, lossy version. Whereas I will only have lossy one which takes 5-15 times less than FLAC. Even if I will use old codec like mp3 for old music and new codecs for new music, I will always win and use 10 times less space than you. I don't need to update all music to newest codec because even old ones (mp3 vbr, opus) will be GOOD ENOUGH. I can simply use newest codec for new music.

And don't dream about "perfect codec" that will use 16kbit/s for transparent music. The most progress in encoding music is already made. As you can see from all other areas of science and computers, biggest gains and advancements are made initially, then there are smaller and smaller gains. Look at cars, planes, CPU's, everything. Same with codecs. Most is already achieved by mp3. Opus is better but not revolutionary. There is a limit how low you can get.

opinion discarded, next you'll tell me 64k ought to be enough for anybody.

This means nothing. Also, why would we keep a lossy version around? Just convert it when needed.
No, mp3 is pure shit; only LAME made it acceptable. Opus is currently a lot better than mp3.

linux + flac = stupid person